Civilization XLCVIII

Home to all current Forum Games.
LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Re: Civilization XLCVIII

Post by LAYF » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:38 am

Patdragon wrote:No don't jump forwards jump backwards in time. then we have more time to evolve other strategies
;)
Uhh.. I'd love to see the others reaction, each update they gain would be the same, except we would evolve each time, they would do the exact same thing as they did last time :P
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:42 am

Well...As I said before...technically, we can evolve in any way we want if we all agree on the same thing and only list that option. Then instead of him rolling 10 items, he would roll only 1.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:08 am

You ask the impossible, sir.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:19 am

Indeed, i cant even convince you to change your original post so that we can have the potential to evolve space temporial abilities :p

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:33 am

I don't think we're quite at "use magic to evolve your abilities" level yet, though. Like Aegis would probably just take our words, and turn them into "You have managed to evolve a temporary 'stasis' that makes you immune to almost anything for up to one hour" or something along those lines as the best thing that "fit in with our desires".

Anyways, I see we're going on the path of "mind control", And as this is a nice direction for becoming cthulhic overlords, I would like to encourage it. I do have a bit of a macabre idea to go in the right direction, which I think to a certain extent can be found back in the real world (Although I'm probably just completely misremembering)

Evolve a form of light "cannibalism". Specifically, weaker bacteria, those that are too small,don't produce enough toxins, are injured from something else... are selectively "picked out" and absorbed by larger ones. This likely leads to a decrease in overall population, but increased strength of the individual members. Also makes it harder for other bacteria to prey on them, as any "easy targets" will no longer exist...

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:37 am

I would like to vote for chemical "mind" control, so we can release a cloud of chemicals against an enemy that makes them susceptible to doing our bidding (probably "don't eat me" for now).

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:43 am

I'm just going to put in my improve mind control and hope it works like the last couple of times :P

There's also a kind of stat page on the reddit and we are apparently doing great as our population is high and rising fast, so I think we can afford doing a selective breeding/offspring survival type of situation to maybe evolve more efficient if that's a posibility.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:49 am

I think when you apply selective breeding to your own species it's technically called eugenics :P

It could pay off, but it's a hell of a gamble...

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:03 pm

I think we can afford losing "some" population if it results in stronger overall population. Especially since if we keep growing as strongly as we are and then suddenly our food source runs out... Well, this graph isn't completely correct for what I'm pretty sure is a real life phenonom with a name I can't remember, but it'll give a good idea:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:11 pm

That looks like it could apply to an inbreeding problem. We also don't want that.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:17 pm

Eugenics ...aka Cannibalism.. :D

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:30 pm

I don't think inbreeding can be a problem yet if there's no actual breeding being done yet. Anyone want to try and mutate this? :P

It's been years since I've actually had biology lessons around this, so it's completely possible my memory is screwing up what it was all about... But basically the mouse utopia experiment was, as suggested, a mouse utopia. They provided mice with a large area, toys, and enough food to sustain them, huge area to expand into, natural threats eliminated, before allowing them to do however they wished. As expected, they started to breed, and breed... And basically, even though they did continue getting more food than they'd actually need to survive, the crowding caused things to go crazy, and the whole population got stuck in a massive downwards spiral that decimated the entire population. It's a really interesting experiment, and many people have tried to draw parallels between the experiment and the current "human population explosion".

I found a video about it here if you're interested in finding out more than what my memory is telling me.

I'm not exactly trying to recall this phenomena, though. I believe we had also talked about a similar but different phenomenon in the real world where a population of animals/insects what have you find themselves on a large amount of food with little contest, which mostly happens when a foreign population gets introduced somewhere (Although not exclusively)- What happens is that these also undergo a large, explosive growth, but eventually the food runs scarce- Causing massive starvation and dwindling their numbers back to or below their original ones.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Yup, I know exactly what you're talking about and I've forgotten the name. Population dynamics is the field though, and you're essentially referring to the initial transient phase that a population goes through before settling to (hypothetical) equilibrium or into some kind of stable predator prey cycle (see snowshoe hares and lynxes).

We must be breeding somehow or we'd never grow as a population. I've got no idea if we're all just clones that outcompete the previous version of ourselves though... Hey, maybe we could steal the DNA (abilities) of the creatures we eat?

Anyway, I suspect that worrying too much about realism won't particularly help us in our quest to become telepathic Deep Gods.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:55 pm

M0rtimer wrote:I think we can afford losing "some" population if it results in stronger overall population.
Losing a portion of the population is how evolution happens, in the non-game world...

thinkslogically wrote:Anyway, I suspect that worrying too much about realism won't particularly help us in our quest to become telepathic Deep Gods.
Especially where we are choosing which mutations we want to acquire... the flawed biology of that makes me feel icky inside if I don't remind myself it's a game...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:06 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Especially where we are choosing which mutations we want to acquire... the flawed biology of that makes me feel icky inside if I don't remind myself it's a game...
you and me both, buddy!

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:37 pm

Science is known to ruin many a good thing... :roll:

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:58 pm

There will be no time travel. Something that exists 4th dimensionally would just give me seizures trying to make it work later on. So I'm keeping the hot pockets joke (as well as the "evolving water" one -- I'm only taking one suggestion per person, Spider... :P ). Working on the post now...
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:06 pm

500,000,000 Years

Very Basic Intelligence: 44
"Water" Dissolution Solution: 53
More Chemical Finetuning: 34
Hot Pockets: 83 (highest roll)
Tunnel Digging: 67
Tendril Nerve System: 80
Cannibalism: 47

Z. Reditori Croctinii is now floating peacefully in the depths, allowing the current to bring it wherever it wants. The first place the current brings the bacteria to is a series of curly spiral caverns on the seafloor, where an ancestor carved out an existence but has since died out. Z. Reditori Croctinii has colonized these curly tunnels (each no wider than a pencil point) because the water being forced through them is supercharging their kinetic energy stores. The bacteria lock the tunnels down and evolve a series of filter-feeding "combs" to filter through the tunnels, one after another in a series of layers. This is enabling them to grow at an exponential pace, beginning to outpace the other bacteria in the ocean.

The tunnels protect from predators, provide an alternate source of food, and make it difficult to want to continue drifting along with the tides looking for a new spot to settle. The nearest threat right now seems to be either stragglers from U. Klixstem Faltoni (which recede in number the further you get from their vents), or X. Hyea Aginessi. Their needle-pick-nose is now too wide for it to fit through the tunnels and it cannot get in by pushing its "head" in, but it works around this by backing in with its back half instead. The stingers on that end have increased their potency in response to your "hiding", and can reach out to prick you. It can't kill your species outright, but staying here where X. Hyea Aginessi can follow may not be a good idea.

D. Shloopi Dorfis has evolved a pair of changes. The first is resistance to the LSD that U. Klixstem Faltoni seems to be spewing everywhere; when U. Klixstem Faltoni comes along they turtle up into their crystals and hide. Then then recolor their crystals to match the environment, and they do this enough to throw off both J. Ayeik Pondo and T. Vopal Gravimorium (the latter of which has shed their stony exterior to get their speed back only to be harpooned by J. Ayeik Pondo or smothered by other bacteria newly emerging. This latter color-shifting makes it seem like the crystals are empty, so when X. Hyea Aginessi comes sniffing about or T. Vopal Gravimorium tries to worm its way into the crystals, both are zapped and injected with oxygen before being consumed. A byproduct of all this oxygen production/creation from the electricity means that D. Shloopi Dorfis is becoming tolerant or resistant to oxygen, and may be able to even incorperate it quicker than other deep-ocean bateria.

The salt "connections" it is making with other crystals of its kind are beginning to form salt webs that trap even more oxygen, which manifests as bubbles on the web. Bacteria "fall out of the water" and into this air, to touch the webs and therefore dry out. This has a threatening effect on T. Vopal Gravimorium, who dries almost instantly on contact. Unprotected D. Shloopi Dorfis bacteria traveling the salt lines then consume or drag the dead amoebas back to the "colonies" springing up inside the crystals. While U. Klixstem Faltoni can break the crystals with their secretions, all this oxygen production is forming a "bubble shield" that is blocking them from consuming the bacteria -- and allowing a counterdefense to spring up from the electrical "tentacle" of D. Shloopi Dorfis.

You have been seething in the heat vents for quite a long time now, and have developed a pair of "heat pockets," one to either side of the main body of the bacteria. When creatures that are not heat resistant get too close, *squirt* -- superheated water boils bacteria alive in their cell walls and allows you to continue to gluttonize the surrounding seafloor. These heat pockets also allow for a form of ballast control, allowing the bacteria to rise and fall with the cooler current and begin to move about even with the help of steering or movement fins. Each pocket appears as a tiny specialized "lung" on either side of the main cell. These squirters do two things: Fry J. Ayeik Pondo on the spot should it be found, and dissolve the connections between crystals of D. Shloopi Dorfis. You then quietly wait for a large amount of D. Shloopi Dorfis to gather on the "webs", then execute them all at once. This way you don't have to worry about navigating/breaking through the crystals to get at them.

The only bad news comes in the form of X. Hyea Aginessi, who is capitalizing on these heat pockets with its needlenose-pick. The pockets are least protected of all at the moment, and when X. Hyea Aginessi strikes with both its stingers and its nose, the pockets burst, causing U. Klixstem Faltoni to "bleed out" most of its proteins. U. Klixstem Faltoni counterstrikes with its chemical warfare, but it seems that X. Hyea Aginessi is beginning to build up a tolerance to it -- the energy stores only become discolored instead of burst on "suck up" of the chemicals. A few more hundred thousand years or so and they might have immunity to their toxins.

T. Vopal Gravimorium is on the ropes. It can no longer engulf most bacteria as it has been doing, and the combination of J. Ayeik Pondo's harpooning from ambush and D. Shloopi Dorfis' salt webs is bringing it to the brink of extinction. Meanwhile J. Ayeik Pondo has begun evolving an even stronger "shell", and it hardly ever moves from a particular ambush point now. A tethered lure attracts smaller bacteria, but it doesn't look like they're going to evolve much further now that they're "hidden" just under the surface of the seafloor. Finally, X. Hyea Aginessi seems to focus both on U. Klixstem Faltoni now that it's built resistance, and Z. Reditori Croctinii who are nice and snug in their little hideyholes. Z. Reditori Croctinii is bigger than both of them at the moment.

You now have access to one "super mutation" -- This is a separate roll. The highest rolled of these mutations of this turn will become a vastly improved one (and I'll skip over it when getting the top five). If you vote for ocular nerves/photo receptors for example, they may end up being lenses or full blown eyes. More "super" mutations will occur at every half billion years, and at every billion years, you'll get one "hallmark" mutation of your species that will become even more powerful.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:10 pm

No more joke suggestion guys.

Intellegence mutation

twistedstraka
Of Few Words

Post by twistedstraka » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:55 pm

Evolve telepathic mind control, if this is too advanced then evolve a super heated acid that disolves the stingers and needle nose of those who attack us

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:20 am

I will suggest the ability to go dormant when there is no food, so our race never dies of starvation, but rather goes into extreme hyoernation.

For super mutation i vote for blink ability... Phasing I'm and out of existence in small teleportation movements.. Used both at defense and attack.
-Best regards LAYF

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:37 am

I agree with both intelligence or mind control- So as to not detract from either of those potential outcomes, I wont be voting myself this month. :)

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:21 am

Regeneration
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:59 am

Super mind control capabilities!
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:16 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:No more joke suggestion guys.

Intellegence mutation
So...no Pop Tarts? :lol:

Parasitic relationships. (Using small feeler-like claws, the organism attaches itself to other organisms, gaining control over it through a physical connection. Once this connection is formed, the organism uses the host as if it was it's own body, gaining energy from what it gains energy from, eating what it eats, fighting how it fights.)