Of Few Words

Re: Civilization XLCVIII

Post by twistedstraka » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:47 am

Why not tentacles made of lava then :p burny burny eldritch horror

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:51 pm

GathersIngredients wrote:I'm curious: Why does the survival rate DROP by 8, when it says "extremely successful"? Also, the descriptive text doesn't really sound like the species is being "extremely successful"...
I take the numbers in the roll, add them together, and if it's still in double digits I keep doing it until it's a single number. So if the action roll was 96, that'd turn to 15 (9+6) then 6 (1+5) and that's the number I drop it by. To sort of keep it challenging. The OOTS group has theirs still in the 90s. Post's incoming soonish...

And yes, you still have the Blinking. I added it back in in the most recent turn. You're not "scripted to fail" as someone said -- just that everything evolves to counter you, like normal evolution does with everyone countering everyone else.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:13 pm

1.7 Billion Years

Heatavore: 34
Enhanced Lure: 4
Fusion: 47
Liquid Metal: 61
Fire Form: 8
Tentacles: 96 (Success!)

Survival Rate: 95% +4 (Very successful) +2 (New mutation) -4 (Survival drop) = 97%

Appearance: A metallic-translucent "ant" the size of three fists side by side that is covered in a ceramic shell. Has an internal furnace capable of melting metal towards the back of its body that delivers a superheated bite through its fangs. Has a pair of shark teeth-like fangs at the front. Has eight prehensile tentacles both at its front and back that it can use to hold and manipulate that are three "ants" long.
Mutations currently: Blinking (+Movement), Superheated Fangs (+Bite), Mentemo toxins (+Mind Manipulation), Anglerfish Lure (+Senses), Chemosynthesis (+Energy), Vibration/Sound sensing organ (fuels locomotion), Parasitic Stinger at the back (+Reproduction), Ceramic Furnace (grants great Internal Heat), Cultivation (+Food), Prehensile Tentacles (+Manipulation), Stasis (+Defense), farming Bacteria (+Food); Hallmark Mutation is Mind Control
Predators: None; the great heat down here kills 99% of stuff.
Prey: Mostly hardened bacteria

C) Focus on the rare earths, adding things such as molten salt, carbon and iridium to your makeup?: 76 (Very successful) [Survival drops by 4]

This entire time period of 100,000,000 years has been spent incorperating all the "rare" materials found at this depth into your genetic makeup. This includes "rare metals" (giving your bodies a metallic sheen instead of a translucent one), pure elements (Carbon being the big one) and other sciencey-speak to make your outer ceramic shell into proper metallic (bauxite) armor. Armor to protect from what (Besides the extreme pressures, of which you're already mostly immune to anyway), is unknown since there aren't any predators down here.

The carbon you've brought into your being has given you diamond-tipped edges on your manipulatory tendrils, which have extended in length to become proper tentacles that reach about three Ignementis long! The tendrils are light and easy to move, but if there were predators down here you can be sure they'd feast on such tentacles.

With the length of your tentacles and your diamond tipped edges on them, you're able to spear the cold worms and even though the diamond can fracture from the cold you're able to dangle the worms over the magma far below, effectively cooking them before slicing them up and transporting them into a cooler area for the bacteria to work on a little. The extreme cold the worms have -might- be incorperated into your being, allowing your "internal furnace" to change from extreme heat into extreme cold in the next 100,000,000 years.

You do seem to have run into a little problem as the stasis shell you have doesn't seem to take the tentacles into account nor does it have room for them. When Ignementis come out of their stasis they often find nibbles on the tentacles from the cold worms or some other kind of bacteria that's common down here. Nothing severed or bitten off, but sometimes the tentacles are damaged.

Your fangs are beginning to recede. Lack of things to bite besides the worms have made it so you kind of don't need them anymore.

Will you...

A) Evolve specialized mouthparts in place of the fangs, to take advantage of the metal/carbon?
B) Search for a secondary source of food? There might be a bacterial extinction incoming, as your surplus has dropped a little.
C) Evolve a webbed "sail" between each tentacle, so as to "float" on the hot air currents of the mantle caverns?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:17 pm

take the numbers in the roll, add them together, and if it's still in double digits I keep doing it until it's a single number. So if the action roll was 96, that'd turn to 15 (9+6) then 6 (1+5) and that's the number I drop it by. To sort of keep it challenging. The OOTS group has theirs still in the 90s. Post's incoming soonish...
So if we get a good roll we get screwed and if we get a bad roll we get screwed, no matter if it's sucessful or not our survival rate is going down. I think it swings the probability too much one way or another.

....I was hoping cultivation of stuff would help prevent that and co exist but apparently I was wrong. ah well.

It doesn't matter what I choose, it's only going to drop our survival rate so I say screw it. Or desicions only make it worse so I say we abstain!
Heatvores.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:26 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote:
GathersIngredients wrote:I'm curious: Why does the survival rate DROP by 8, when it says "extremely successful"? Also, the descriptive text doesn't really sound like the species is being "extremely successful"...
I take the numbers in the roll, add them together, and if it's still in double digits I keep doing it until it's a single number. So if the action roll was 96, that'd turn to 15 (9+6) then 6 (1+5) and that's the number I drop it by. To sort of keep it challenging. The OOTS group has theirs still in the 90s. Post's incoming soonish...
That seems kind of problematic, there is no benefit to being at 99 vs 91, since both get dropped to 90. It ends up creating a strange stepwise decrease, where 91-99 drops to 90, and 82-90 drops to 81, and so on...

Any turn that we get a negative modifier in addition to the decrease, or two turns in a row with no positive modifier means we drop a category that we can't recover from unless we get a double digit positive modifier...

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

twistedstraka
Of Few Words

Post by twistedstraka » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:56 pm

A
and evolve projectile spikes for our memnto toxins

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:45 am

Aegis J Hyena wrote:You're not "scripted to fail" as someone said -- just that everything evolves to counter you, like normal evolution does with everyone countering everyone else.
Erm, maths say otherwise (see spiderwrangler's post).

Also, in the real world everything does not evolve to counter one specific species, but everything evolves to SURVIVE (meaning they are -trying-, not necessarily succeeding, mind you, to counter everything that is harmful to THEM and/or -trying- to evolve stuff that will give them an ecological edge - able to eat different food no one else can eat or there's not much competition for, be able to outflee/outsmart/outtrick predators, survive under special circumstances, ...).
Not trying to tell you how to run your game. Just bringing up a - in my opinion - valid point.

Mutation: Grow a second furnace for the "cold worm" advantages, separated from the heat one. Also, some tube system, that allows us to pick between using the hot one, the cold one, or both together, able to "spit" either (or both) at enemies.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:48 am

A

Mutation: Eating molten rock (lava/magma) satisfies hunger

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:50 am

A and liquid metal form again.

Though I do like the idea of cold and hot furnaces.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:47 pm

Feeling pretty uncreative tonight, next post tomorrow.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:56 pm

No wonder the oots playground is having a high rate of survival, you are not subtracting from successful decisions like you do us. They are a bit unlucky with dice but the point still stands.

B) Attempt again to "domesticate" the Krysmites as worker ants train slave ants?: 64 (Moderately Successful)

Survival Rate: 86% +2 (one mutation) +2 (Moderately Successful) = 90%
C) Capture the meteoric rock to have sediment to work with (and inorganic minerals to eat), working them into your crystal homes?: 17 (Unsuccessful)

Survival Rate: 78 +2 (One Mutation) -2 (Unsuccessful action) = 78 +8 (Super Mutation) = 86%
Where with us its.....
Year 1.5 billion

Survival Rate: 95% +4 (Very successful) +2 (New mutation) -4 (Survival drop) = 97%
Which seems the survival rate bonus is the same as the survial drop unless we roll bad which then we get negative points. Rediters have it a bit worse than us because they have predators and we are playing it safe and they are circling down the death spiral.

Also did they get a halmark mutation every .5 billion years? Errr what happened to getting a super mutation every .5 billion years? We should have gotten one at 1.5 billion years (oots did at the very least)

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:24 am

Our blinking ability is obviously now temporal. We are 0.2 billion years behind the redditors and 0.1 behind the oots-ers...that or the oots-ers have broken reality with their homes. Its a good thing all of us are not interacting currently.

The redditors are definitely getting a little bit more of the prefered treatment currently as they are getting updated (most likely because more active people) but they are only getting the two most upvoted mutations to try and evolve.
Even so I did miss the super mutation bit but i think the redditors got it at 1.8
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:09 pm

It seems that when they (rediters) get hallmark mutation they also get a super mutation. Though oots people don't seem to. Maybe because of the forum vs redit setting but oots are getting more super mutations than us (they got one at 1.5 billion years where we have not)

We don't even get reminders of when our next super/hallmark mutations are.
► Show Spoiler

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:03 pm

The Redditors steal DNA from their enemies (it was one of their mutations they suggested that was successful), so I'm giving them more mutations to reflect this.

Each group is going to be just a little bit different, but I really don't expect anyone to "fail" their survival rolls when it comes down to it.

Post incoming...

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:08 pm

That does not explain why oots has super mutation at 1.5 billion years when we did not.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:26 pm

The OOTS group are living in magic crystals. That is going to seep into their being, especially after all the concentration they've been doing of the magic itself off the ley lines. Of -course- they're going to get mutations every now and then. they're also going to make my life a living headache after that most recent critical they rolled...

1.8 Billion Years

Heatvores: 61
Projectile Spikes: 23
Second Furnace: 57
Sediment Digesters: 11
Liquid Metal Form: 80

Appearance: A metallic-translucent bauxite coated "ant" the size of four fists that is covered in a ceramic shell. Has an internal furnace capable of melting metal towards the back of its body that delivers a superheated bite through its fangs. Has a pair of shark teeth-like fangs at the front. Has eight prehensile tentacles both at its front and back that it can use to hold and manipulate that are three "ants" long.
Mutations currently: Blinking (+Movement), Metal-Eating Mouthparts (+Heated Acid Bite), Mentemo toxins (+Mind Manipulation), Anglerfish Lure (+Senses), Chemosynthesis (+Energy), Vibration/Sound sensing organ (fuels locomotion), Parasitic Stinger at the back (+Reproduction), Ceramic Furnace (grants great Internal Heat), Cultivation (+Food), Prehensile Tentacles (+Manipulation), Stasis (+Defense), farming Bacteria (+Food); Hallmark Mutation is Mind Control
Predators: None; the great heat down here kills 99% of stuff.
Prey: Mostly hardened bacteria

Survival Rate: 97% +3 (Somewhat Successful) -7 (Survival drop) = 93%

A) Evolve specialized mouthparts in place of the fangs, to take advantage of the metal/carbon?: 52 (Somewhat Successful) [Survival Drops by 7 (arrival of new giant worms swallowing you whole] yes the survival drop is geared to be higher than the gain, no one said evolution was easy... I did say don't worry -too- much about this particular mechanic, especially since we're not close to 3 Billion years yet.

You've worked on the metals and carbon, incorperating it into your being by evolving specialized mouthparts. Soon your bauxite-ceramic shell is going to get harder and harder and be almost impossible to crush with blunt force or pressure, either by the great pressures down here or by physical assault from other things. Nothing will be able to bite through the shell, at all.

You've also started to grow, fast. Instead of being the size of three fists, you're the size of four fists, and you're only growing larger. That's all well and good, but now you've got a predator down here. While 99% of potential biological things are killed by heat and pressure down here, that last 1% is going to be a doozy.

A great cavern worm with multiple "faces" along its length that suck in dirt and molten rock (allowing it to dig tunnels almost three times as big and as long as it is) has been coursing through your territory as well as your "anthills." You've been able to take one down when it paused mid-anthill tunneling, but its "meat" is toxic and all you can do is carry it to a cliff and throw it down in the great lava pools below where it just floats to the surface.

You counter the toxin in the meat by evolving your new mouthparts to be incredibly acidic, etching deep wounds into the thing any time you brush your mouthparts over it. The toxin meddles with production of Mentemo Toxins, but you should be able to evolve a counter next turn. If these things brought friends, you might need to find a new bolthole.

Will you...

A) Pack up and find a new lair, getting away from the too-large worms?
B) Lay "traps" for the worms that will slay them for food for your cultivated bacteria? Now that you're growing, you need more...
C) Focus instead on some kind of symbiosis, where it digs tunnels, you colonize them? That might reveal new sources of food, metal and other things.

twistedstraka
Of Few Words

Post by twistedstraka » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:38 pm

C
Evolve ethereal form

And evolve telekenisis if its 2nd super mutation time

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:48 pm

C

Mutation: Portal rips-able to cut tiny portals to other places if that's not allowed then super mutagenic

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:29 am

I will Vote C as it does seem the best option. opens up more things to write about too ;) Hopefully we now have something we can actually mind control if we encounter new things, hopefully find a new source of magic so we can evolve weirder mutations.

Ok a little bit of an odd mutation from me today but i like the idea of it and if we keep it into the future it could be extremely useful. As we already have an "internal furnace" Lets start pooping metallic waste into crude implements. Maybe we dig out a "mold" in the earth. Fill it with appropriate waste which we have eaten for this purpose then it hardens into things we can use and manipulate with our tentacles.

So i guess this mutation might be called Waste Crafting

For those that are interested this ideas was inspired by watching a one piece episode with someone with a smelt-smelt fruit who eat raw materials and pulled out weapons from his internal furnace.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:13 pm

Just three votes? I'll wait until sunday then, since Saturdays are my roll20 day...

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:25 am

► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:38 am

Oots people don't have survival drops at all, I checked. And don't go blaming thier shells or whatever for it, we worked hard to avoid every predator we could.
► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:11 am

And by avoiding every predator and eating bacteria we have no real stimuli (other than a very hostile fiery and rock based environment) giving us no real reason to evolve further. I liked the idea of a new creature popping back in to give us something to deal with and for Aegis something write about that wasn't just environmental based.

The numbers did bother me a bit but I did read on the recent redditors page a possible bonus for each person that votes for a positive modifier. This I think is a very good idea for all forums and would encourage people to vote more... otherwise I guess we shall just remain forever as we are.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

twistedstraka
Of Few Words

Post by twistedstraka » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:40 am

Im enjoying it for what it is honestly