Re: Civilization XLCVIII

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:54 pm

A

More intellegence!

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:33 am

vote C - If we eventually go global this could have some interesting world spanning effects

Become an elemental creature Lets meld with the rock/magma/mantle via our blinking we must be doing something like going out of phase to move

We were briefly called Echi's but guess we have evolved further so for a new name....Ignemmentis
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:53 am

A

Mutation: Fire-Form (Ability to temporarily turn our bodies into a being of pure fire)

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:16 pm

Just four responses? I'll wait to post until sunday, since saturday's my roll20 day.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:35 am

heat eating! (yeah, I'm stubborn on this one)

how about crawlava for name?

C would most likely blow up in our faces sooner or later. :fume:

So... I'm gonna go with A
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:47 am

Oh! I know, next evolution we should try to evolve statis so if we die out we can respawn from said statis so we dont have to start all over.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:49 am

Did we not already? I thought we did, although we only had a couple suggestions...

Let's try option A. As for mutation... I'll just stick to tentacles for now.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:14 am

Unfortunally we have a very real chance of dying if the dice hates us, forcing us to start all over again. :meh:
Last edited by Arch Lich Burns on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edits

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:09 pm

Weren't we supposed to get an update today?
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:29 pm

1.5 Billion Years

Lavantz: 47
Ignemmentis: 73
Crawlava: 5

Strength: 88
Elemental Creature: 35
Fire Form: 20
Heat Eating: 63
Statis: 90 (Success!)
Tentacles: 25

Survival Rate: 100% +2 (One mutation) -4 (Unsuccessful) = 95%
Appearance: A colorless "ant" the size of three fists side by side that is covered in a ceramic shell. Has an internal furnace capable of melting metal towards the back of its body that superheats water for its fangs. Has a pair of shark teeth-like fangs at the front, and eight small prehensile tendrils both at its front and back that it can use to hold and manipulate.
Mutations currently: Superheated Fangs (+Bite), Mentemo toxins (+Mind Manipulation), Anglerfish Lure (+Senses), Chemosynthesis (+Energy), Vibration/Sound sensing organ (fuels locomotion), Parasitic Stinger at the back (+Reproduction), Ceramic Furnace (grants great Internal Heat), Cultivation (+Food), Prehensile Tendrils (+Manipulation), Statis (+Defense), farming Bacteria (+Food); Hallmark Mutation is Mind Control
Predators: An expanding flatworm
Prey: Mostly hardened bacteria, and a "Cold Earthworm"

Breaking Mantle Caverns next turn.

A) Go to where the planet is most unstable and attempt to build hive networks to strengthen the mantle?: 19 (Unsuccessful) [Survival Rate drops by 4] The dice don't like you very much do they...

The Ignementis (with one M :P ) have moved to where the strata layers are much more fluid and bubbly, attempting to build hives and nests to solidify things so they can live. While that is completely unsuccessful, you do discover a new kind of prey, which exists as a brainless "earthworm" that tries to defend itself with flashes of cold. The cold hardens the rock around them on contact, and anyone hit by the cold freezes briefly. When the heat of the area causes the target to thaw, it bursts instead.

It's no real match for you, as your Mentemo Toxins are perfect for drawing it out of its "cold shell" and being devoured or sliced into itty bitty pieces for specific bacteria in your "nests" to eat. So now you're officially farming bacteria (well, more so than you were before). :)

With this kind of new food, your stinger comes back into play and you are able to both reproduce and learn a little bit, adapting your new prey's defenses to something you can use yourself: Statis! If something DOES come down here and either eats the rock with you in it, or targets you specifically, whole colonies can go into a sort of hibernation which then becomes statis. A molten, ever-burning shell of rock coats your body, paralyzing you in place until the danger passes.

With the new prey comes a new predator, a very narrow flatworm that expands exponentially (like a manta ray) when it's about to engulf its prey. Then it grips, constricts and crushes. Its strength is much greater than yours, but you've got speed enough to avoid most of them. They -can- fit in your nests and tunnels quite easily.

You've gone far enough underground that water is vaporized. There's no water down here at all, and you have adapted enough not to require it.

Will you...

A) Try again to make nests in the most unstable part of the planet's mantle?
B) Focus on the new prey to bring your numbers even further up?
C) Focus on the new predator instead, trying to drive it out of your territory?

twistedstraka
Of Few Words

Post by twistedstraka » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:37 pm

B
Evolve fusion,(either two members of our race fusing together to increase size strength and all other stata or nuclear idm which you choose)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:01 pm

What happened to our other hallmark mutation blink? And by extention greater blink? Arent hallmark muations supposed to define who we are as a species? Why would it just go away? Edit: I checked and nothing is said aboubt it being gone so why is it gone from (hallmark) mutation list?

Anyways, parasitic relations with flatworm Teleportation. Might as well try to make blink even better.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:05 am

Our Hallmark is mind control but yes the blink ability seems to have disappeared from current mutations, which might make a kind of sense as we are in a more solid rock area and might just end up out of phase in the rock. Nest would solve this a little but we its creating stable one in the unstable area that's a problem. What we need is movable nest.

I vote A - and for a "mutation" ability to create Movable sphere nest like a honey comb bubble that flows through the areas we move too.

We are also now .1 billion years behind everyone else so in a way we are also time travelers ;)

And would our survival rating be 98? not 95 (100-4+2 )
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:12 am

you mean stasis right, statis is not a word.

B

Mechanized Firm-Form

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:48 am

heat eating

C
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:16 pm

C, and tentacles because I apparently have 0 originality. :roll:

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:09 pm

1.6 Billion Years

Melding/Fusion: 53
Teleportation: 47
Sphere Nest: 34
Mechanization: 65
Heat Eating: 72
Tentacles: 10

Roll off between B vs C (100 vs 13)

Survival Rate: 98% +5 (Extremely successful) -8 (breaching caverns to a fiery death and biting into liquid nitro worms) = 95%

Appearance: A colorless "ant" the size of three fists side by side that is covered in a ceramic shell. Has an internal furnace capable of melting metal towards the back of its body that delivers a superheated bite through its fangs. Has a pair of shark teeth-like fangs at the front, and eight small prehensile tendrils both at its front and back that it can use to hold and manipulate.
Mutations currently: Blinking (+Movement), Superheated Fangs (+Bite), Mentemo toxins (+Mind Manipulation), Anglerfish Lure (+Senses), Chemosynthesis (+Energy), Vibration/Sound sensing organ (fuels locomotion), Parasitic Stinger at the back (+Reproduction), Ceramic Furnace (grants great Internal Heat), Cultivation (+Food), Prehensile Tendrils (+Manipulation), Stasis (+Defense), farming Bacteria (+Food); Hallmark Mutation is Mind Control
Predators: None; the great heat down here kills 99% of stuff.
Prey: Mostly hardened bacteria

B) Focus on the new prey to bring your numbers even further up?:
89 (Extremely Successful) [Survival Rate drops by 8]

The Ignementis have breached the mantle caverns. Here, great "bubbles" (enclosed caverns) of air float within the mantle, being pushed about as the tectonics of the planet move about above you. The air is superheated, the ground boasts many lava pools over razor-thin coatings of rock, and it's completely dark other than the glow from the magma swirling below you as you breach from above in the ceilings.

The cold earthworm has adapted to become even *colder* as the very definition of an extremeophile, as its blood has dropped to the temprature of liquid nitrogen as its only defense. The cold causes the more-solid magma to freeze into rock that's cool to the touch (for a little while, anyway), and then the worm digs through and eats said rock with a now-specialized mouth that leaves gravel and sand in its wake.

When you bite into one, the extreme cold splashes all over you and causes you to freeze briefly, then thaw, then expand, then burst from the heat. When it breaches the caves along with you, steam forms around its body and as it drops from the ceiling to go sploosh in the lava, little explosions from the steam follow them popping in midair every now and then.

The worms (both the earthworm and the flatworm) simply boil alive, unable to survive as deep as you've gone; there are no other food sources down here, not even more bacteria. Fortunately you have your bacteria farms from the upper levels of the mantle, so your population is stable... but it might slowly begin to drop unless you find another source.

When you breached the mantle caverns through the ceiling, a lot of the population fell to their deaths; the heat down there is too great even for you and your stasis-shell. On the plus side, there's an awful lot of rare-earth minerals this far deep that you could possibly add to your state of being. On the minus side, your Mentemo Toxins are instantly boiling away if you release them from your fangs...

Will you...

A) Focus on your hive networks, making sure to keep the bacteria farms a few layers above the mantle caverns?
B) Search for a new source of food now that the worms can't handle being this far deep?
C) Focus on the rare earths, adding things such as molten salt, carbon and iridium to your makeup?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:48 pm

C and heatavores

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:14 pm

I'm curious: Why does the survival rate DROP by 8, when it says "extremely successful"? Also, the descriptive text doesn't really sound like the species is being "extremely successful"...

heat eating. looks like burns already covered that one. How about tactics to herd the cold worms into the area where it's too hot for them and keep them there until dead, so we can eat them without getting frozen? So either intelligence and/or something like an "anti-lure" to chase them with.

Can we go back out of the mantle? It doesn't seem to be a good place to live. (Until/unless we finally get heat eating...)
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:44 pm

Apparently it is because they mutated coldness, but honestly I think it shows it does not matter what we pick or how lucky we are on the decision making, we are set up to failure. And snce I didn't get a response as to if blink is tKen out or not I'd like to point out even if it wasnt useful/unnused we still could have kept it just incase.

twistedstraka
Of Few Words

Post by twistedstraka » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:49 am

C and
Melding/Fusion: 53

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:59 am

While Aegis didn't say anything blinking is back under our listed mutations now. Our roll was extremely successful (+5) but we have entered the mantle(-8)! it's a very different place to the crust so just think what would have happened if we weren't successful.

Whilst i'd like to start eating new rare earths we need a good reliable food source now so my I vote B Vote C which might start us off eating rocks and heat via voting options not mutations which is our more likely way to mutate currently.

Then to be meta i'm going to make our mutation vote C by saying we incorporate the rare earths into our make up

As it looks like we a heading for vote C anyway i'm going to suggest we go T-1000 and become more liquid metal from the iridium we will eat. So how to put that as a mutation....hmm

Metallic shape shifting

we basically use our internal furnace to melt ourselves whilst using whatever helps use blink to remain stable.
Last edited by Patdragon on Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:25 am

C

Fire-Form

M0rtimer
Global Moderator