Civilization XLCVIII

Home to all current Forum Games.
Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Re: Civilization XLCVIII

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:50 pm

Working on the post now. (and anyone visiting from another forum -- the posters here can "hide things for this forum only" so you'd need an account to view them.)
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:52 pm

Don't tell them the secret!

I guess the only thing we can do now is monitor this forum 24/7, and send a pm saying "we know" to any lurkers... :shifty:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:53 pm

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:48 pm

I've already mentioned Asks likes to lurk and look at the other games in the Discord someone made for the Reddit game, I can't really stop people from visiting. So there will always be a sort of "meta" issue.

700,000,000 Years

Counterbalancing the Crystals: 94 (highest roll)
Folding Ley Line Space: 42
Geothermal Feeding: 65
Feeding on Heat Itself: 7
Manipulatory Tendrils: 70
Chemosynthesis: 28
Multipurpose Mucus: 81

Z. Reditori Croctinii flees from U. Klixstem Faltoni, ascending to a higher layer of water where it is too chilled for the latter bacteria to pursue. You're still in the lightless depths, but you're out of U. Klixstem Faltoni's range now, and will no longer be a food source (or a threat) to them. As you're floating about in the water, and going where the currents go to refresh and strengthen your kinetic energy feeding, you are coming across lots and lots of "shelled" bacteria slightly bigger than you that you have not met before. The shells are actual shell-stuff -- regular poisons or toxins will not get through it and there is only the tiniest of holes where the bacteria can get in or out (think octopus and how they can fit into anything).

These new "shelled" bacteria, W. Norglug Zedtonii, seem to be filter feeders and almost as big as you are. A tiny steering tendril seems to push them against the current, with them eating anything that floats by by means of a "lasso" tentacle capable of reaching almost five inches in length. When Z. Reditori Croctinii floats by, these tendrils get caught in the filters that Z. Reditori Croctinii uses for feeding. This leads to a bit of an entanglement where the creature instinctively fights to draw in the "big food" through the tiny hole in the shell. The bacteria's great strength allows it to crush Z. Reditori Croctinii, even though its "eyes are bigger than its stomach" and it can't consume it. The corpses on the other hand that it leaves behind... do attract other bacteria, which will show up next turn.

They have learned to use the collective connections of their colonies to their advantage, and are now attracted in the direction of electrical signals of all sorts be they "brain waves" from predator or prey, electrical pulses from creatures of the deep, or what have you. They can't differentiate between anything other than it being "electrical" (which causes you to swarm like bees around it, trying to either steal DNA or engulf/filterfeed it). The other species are starting to evolve ways to dim their electricity, but you can still sense energy expended for things such as circulation or a "heartbeat".

Z. Reditori Croctinii escapes X. Klixstem Faltoni, so I won't be posting what happens to Z. Reditori Croctinii here and vice versa.

D. Shloopi Dorfis has decided enough is enough with the blinking of X. Klixstem Faltoni and is strengthening their crystalline homes. When X. Klixstem Faltoni blinks into their crystals to strike, D. Shloopi Dorfis releases a chemical that triggers the crystals themselves to react and grow bits of themselves in all directions. These crystalline spikes "pop" the heat pockets, impale the bacteria, and spray superheated water against the crystals. This kills X. Klixstem Faltoni in the process but the superheated water dissolves the crystals and exposes openings.

The net result is that D. Shloopi Dorfis is losing its homes faster and faster as X. Klixstem Faltoni sacrifices its greater numbers to dissolve crystal after crystal. More crystals do seem to grow on the ley lines, but X. Klixstem Faltoni is starting to outnumber D. Shloopi Dorfis. The other downside to taking damage to the crystals is that X. Hyea Aginessi is beginning to become* very *aggressive. It senses the breaks in the crystal, and uses its jellyfish stingers on its body to impale and pull bits and pieces apart.

Before long a large hole is exposed and X. Hyea Aginessi is able to squeeze in, blind D. Shloopi Dorfis with its energy store light by overloading what it uses to sense the environment, and go to work with its needlenose pick, which has now evolved a series of serrated edges. The pick tip opens like a flower to expose "petals" containing rows upon rows of energy draining suction spikes that can pierce D. Shloopi Dorfis without a problem. D. Shloopi Dorfis attempts to counter both with salt webs and electrical tendrils, but it is the oxygen bubble shield that eventually "pushes" X. Hyea Aginessi away. X. Hyea Aginessi comes into more contact with X. Klixstem Faltoni because of this and fights break out that can only be described as precursors to the best of dwarven beer brawls.

You have been working to strengthen the blink ability both in distance and in maximizing the surprise factor it would have against other bacteria. When the bubble shield begins to halt your advancement, they instead turn to an "enemy of my enemy is my friend... for now" approach. You've baited X. Hyea Aginessi by squirting water and controlling the mental/emotional chemicals (hereby from now on called "Mentemo Toxins") to turn them super-aggressive. Then you lead them to the crystals and sacrifice some of your number to break them apart. X. Hyea Aginessi begins tearing the crystals up with the jellyfish stingers on its body, beginning to mutate them into harpoons like J. Ayeik Pondo has.

The crystals pull apart, and more and more X. Klixstem Faltoni come in squirting superheated water everywhere. D. Shloopi Dorfis' population drops while X. Klixstem Faltoni has a field day, and their numbers grow to a point where they completely colonize the ocean floor and make it very dangerous for -anything- down there to come to the bottom to filter feed. The heat vents are slowly growing cold, however, as the plate tectonics of the planet begin to shift and push along the seafloor. There's no shortage of heat vents where they currently are, but their main populations are going to completely fill some of the largest. A new, larger, heat-immune bacteria shows up from the depths to contest X. Klixstem Faltoni's arrival, but that happens next turn.

How do you evolve now?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:57 pm

((Asks isn't even playing! ;) ))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:01 pm

Okay I think we should try for Mimicry.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:06 pm

Hidden Content

twistedstraka
Of Few Words

Post by twistedstraka » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:31 pm

Evolve the ability to gain nutrients off rocks.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:53 am

I second thinks

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:38 am

Hidden Content
-Best regards LAYF

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:45 am

Hidden Content

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:29 am

Hidden Content
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:29 am

I second Mort instead.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:47 pm

800,000,000 Years

Mimicry: 83 (highest roll)
Shared Intelligence: 52
Nutrients off of Rocks: 67
Chemosynthesis: 24
Ancestral Knowledge: 3

We have a size increase! Bacteria have become complex enough to warrant larger sizes, and now with all the heat energy you've been sucking up, you are the size of a quarter. The amoeba body has hardened into a single glassy shape, like that of a rounded hourglass with the central "brain" at its center, surrounded by the heat pockets and lots and lots of layers of cell wall. Feeler tendrils cover exposed surfaces, and if anything brushes against them, the heat pockets orient and fire. This turn you've managed to learn a cute new trick -- by vibrating one of your tendrils, and combining that with your Mentemo Toxins, you can produce an induced stimulus -- you can mimic other bacteria dying, other bacteria in trouble, predator bacteria to scare off your own predators, and so on. You -own- the sea floor now and anything that tires from swimming against the current is -yours.-

That is, until the arrival of H. Feyet Zogiferium. This ant-shaped bacteria is immune to your heat pockets and worse, it is feeding off of the Mentemo Toxins themselves. It mixes these toxins with its own chemicals, producing bright light that makes it seem like a wisp of light floating in the darkness. It's learning to change the light's color, as well. H. Feyet Zogiferium is using a suction tendril to catch anything it can (usually you) and a stinger-hooked tendril to rip in like a knife. H. Feyet Zogiferium moves via water jet, and while it is not lightning-quick it does squirt circles around you. It has a much larger "spine"-like tendril at its bottom, which you've been able to grab every now and then.

Meanwhile your preferred prey of D. Shloopi Dorfis is beginning to withdraw. They have elected to ascend into a higher layer of the water, where you (away from your precious heat) cannot follow. Most of the crystals you run into these days are either savaged by X. Hyea Aginessi, smashed up by H. Feyet Zogiferium, or just plain abandoned. On top of that, they've learned to "fade into the background of the water", becoming undetectable. They successfully escape you and the sea floor.

Within the heat vents themselves, there is no more pinkish plankton and all the ley line crystals by now have been torn to pieces. You're going to need to find a few more food sources even though you're fairly adaptable.

How do you evolve now?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:54 pm

Develop lures to attract more food to us so we don't have to bother finding it ourselves.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Hmmm.... I think we should try to get dna overdrive so that when predators eat us our dna overrides their's

Also, I propose we go inside the heatvents.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:28 am

Ditto with burns... Complete heat reliance

twistedstraka
Of Few Words

Post by twistedstraka » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:54 am

Evolve the ability to gain sustainence from the heat its self

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:56 am

chemosynthesis!

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:58 am

Twisted, M0rt and myself, I think we all agree with one another..

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:59 am

Shouldn't Aegis roll once for each of us, then? :shifty:

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:51 am

Ooo, I like that.

I think that is the fairest way to do it, instead of compiling it all together as one roll.
chemosynthesis - Badge
chemosynthesis - Mort
chemosynthesis - Twisted

Great thought Mort

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:31 am

Maybe a natural selection mutation so that can happen?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:38 am

Or a "combined efforts"

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:08 am

Enslavement "mind control" of other creatures that causes them to hunt for us or attack our predators.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem