Our town (Game thread) Open game - Year 0.12 FULL UPDATE

Home to all current Forum Games.
LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Our town (Game thread) Open game - Year 0.12 FULL UPDATE

Post by LAYF » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:26 am

Our town
Year 0.

This is the game thread... OOC thread here: http://www.goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 70#p223570

The ever summer has hit, seven years with no real winter cold!
During this period, a lot of people try their luck!

The wild, population: 0

Expanding out in the new frontier, a farmer and his family decides to create a new home for them self.

And they decided to call this place;
Our Town, population 8.

The spring nearby provided some water, but the farmer decided to dig a well, to e sure he had enough water for his new crobs.

Our Town.
- Population 8.

- 1 Well and
- 1 Small Wheat farm.

Another man and his family decided to settle in Our town, as a sign of good will, they brought two work horses for the farmer.
By now the farmer already fancied himself a small town mayor, and decided to expand on his house.

Our Town.
- Population 13.

- 1 Well and
- 1 Medium Wheat farm.
- 2 Work horses.

Two more families arrived in Our town, each bringing a fruit tree.

Our Town.
- Population 22.

- 1 Well and
- 1 Medium Wheat farm.
- 2 Work horses.

This really put a feather in the Farmers hat, he now officially started calling himself the mayor.
And as such, the mayor expanded his house once more, adding another wing.
His youngest daughter he married off to one of the newcomers, and soon twins were born!

Our Town.
- Population 24.

- 1 Well and
- 1 Medium Wheat farm.
- 2 Work horses.

Of course, with more mouths to feed, the mayor had the wheat farm expanded.
At the same time, one of the young men reported, that he had seen three tents raised on the other side of the river bank.
Who could that be? How many are they? are they friendly?

.[tabs:Our Town]
- Population 24.
- 1 Well and
- 1 Large Wheat farm.
- 2 Work horses.
[tabs:Eastern tents]
- Population: ?[/tabs]

Oh, damn it, they raided us!! Well, now at least we know that they are Orcs, and that there are 8 our more of them!
That knowledge came at a price!
They burned down one of our houses, killed 6 of our people and stole one of our horses!
Now the mayor must do something!

- Population 18.
- 1 Well and
- 1 Large Wheat farm.
- 1 Work horses.
- Population: 8+[/tabs]

And so the mayor did, he made sure we constructed a blacksmiths workshop, and raised two watch towers.
Now we just need to train people to use the weapons and tools, at least four men already know how to!

- Population 18./14 available.
- 1 Well and
- 1 Large Wheat farm.
- 1 Work horses.
- 1 Blacksmiths workshop
- 2 Watch towers.

Weapons
► Show Spoiler
Blacksmiths workshop
► Show Spoiler
Guards
► Show Spoiler
- Population: 8+ Orcs[/tabs]
-Best regards LAYF

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Re: Our town (IIC) Open game - Year 0

Post by LAYF » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:29 am

Suggestions from the Recruitment thread
GathersIngredients wrote: I'd suggest building a mill (either wind or water), to make the wheat into flour. Then they could bake bread instead of eating gruel.
Also flours keeps longer and/or could be of interest as a trade good.
BadgeAddict wrote:The mayor works to build an aqueduct system from the river to provide an irrigation system to the crops.
spiderwrangler wrote:Assign helpers to the blacksmith is more hands will be helpful. Begin weapons training using wooden swords.
All suggestions noted, and you'll get influence points in the next update :)

More suggestions welcome :)
-Best regards LAYF

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Re: Our town (IIC) Open game - Year 0.1

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:04 pm

► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:30 pm

^Likeso

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:54 pm

Hmmm... With the orcs we probably want to build some fortifications at the very least in their general directions. A wall is probably too much at this point, but a series of trenches could very well slow down future assaults and give easier pickings to our bowmen.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:58 pm

Are we built on a mountain plateau of some sort? *Trying to understand the map*

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:00 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:Are we built on a mountain plateau of some sort? *Trying to understand the map*
Kind of, The town resides on a low hill (3 m) with cliffs on most sides
-Best regards LAYF

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Re: Our town (IIC) Open game - Year 0.2

Post by LAYF » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:16 pm

Our town
Year 0.

While he is relieved that they now have some form of defense up, in the form of the watch towers, the mayor still feels uneased.

Not sure what to do he sets up a small alter in his home, nothing much, just a place for quiet meditation and prayers.
"Gods above, I am a humble man" he starts "Rarely do I ask for anything, but this evening I ask for your guidance.
I wish to protect my neighbors, family and friends.
I wish to feed the children so they may grow old instead of dying from hunger.
And I wish to see my town prosper.
What should I do to reach these goals of mine?"

Not really expecting an answer the mayor starts to go out, when suddenly, fours voices starts whispers to him.
"If you wish to feed the children, you must grow your crops, build an aqueduct from the river, and surely they will bring you much food" The first voice says.
Shocked, but somehow convinced that these answers are indeed from the gods the mayor replies "But, we are at the highest ground for more than a mile? It will cost us all our strength and time to build such a waterway, Will such a task be successful?" He asks, not entirely convinced.
"Then you must improve what you already got" the second voice says "Build a mill, turn your wheat into flour for bread, storage and trade that way you can feed more mouths for longer!"
The third voice interrupts "Water and crops, flour and bread is all good, but nothing if you are dead! have your young men help the blacksmith, more hands will mean more weapons. and more training will mean more skilled workers, let those who do not work train in the use of swords, use wooden swords till they can swing them, use sticks if you have to."
Lastly the fourth voice tones in "But while building and smiting you must not let your guard down, dig a trench around your hill, it will stop no one, but it will give you more time, and let more people fight and live!"

Still a bit baffled, the mayor takes a second to take it all in... "That is wise suggestions indeed, I'll bring the words right away!"
► Show Spoiler
And so the men started to work.
The trench was done first, and with the extra hands the blacksmith produced another sword between making nails for the construction work!
The Black smith is slowly running out of the iron he bought with him to the town!
The mill was not finished this month, as it takes a long time to cut out a milling stone and then place it right!

Two orcs has been seen spying on the workers! when spotted the orcs quickly ran for the river and sailed across on a raft.

All who is able and has time train in the use of swords, swinging sticks and wooden training swords.

.[tabs:Our Town status]
- Population 18./8 available.
- 1 Well and
- 1 Large Wheat farm.
- 1 Work horses.
- 1 Blacksmiths workshop
- 2 Watch towers.
- Trench

Under construction
► Show Spoiler

Blacksmiths workshop
► Show Spoiler
Guards
► Show Spoiler
Info on Resources
► Show Spoiler
Weapons
► Show Spoiler
Other
► Show Spoiler
- Population: 8+ Orcs

[tabs:Player status]
Gathers: 1 Influence point. /No character yet.
Badge: 1 Influence point. /No character yet.
Spider: 1 Influence point. /No character yet.
m0rt: 1 Influence point. /No character yet.

[tabs:Named NPC Characters]
18 from Our town:
Alton Farmhand - Founder and Mayor of Our town.
Jacob Farmhand - First blacksmith of Our town and second son to Alton Farmhand.
Unnamed young adult - blacksith apprentice
Unnamed adult - Guard
Unnamed adult - watch guard
11 Unnamed adults and young adults - 4 working on the mill construction

[tabs:World map]
*Red dots are the rute travlers take to get her from the "old world" and the rute you'd have to take to send a trade caravan.
*Spotted greenskin camps (black eyes) has not been engaged, so hostility or friendliness is unknown, but a rule of thumb is that Orcs at least are hostile, mostly because they like to fight, goblins varies a lot from camp to camp.
*Hostile greenskins (red eyes) are greenskins that has activity attacked the towns folk or travelers.
*Anything drawn with white background is something you've only spotted in the distance, not something you've seen close up.
*Each square is roughly 800 by 800 meters (0,5 by 0,5 us mile)[/tabs]
-Best regards LAYF

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:06 pm

Is this going to turn into a scenario where the mayor is gonna pray and eventually he's not gonna hear whispers but gods shouting at each other about what the best way of progression is?

Anyways... In the future it seems like the river could be a great defensive point- But at the moment it's a bit too far and a bit too widespread to properly use it as a defensive point. I think in the future it might be worth building a ballista, try and use it to shoot down any raft or other equipment they try to use to cross the river.

For now, though, as we're running out of iron... Are any sources of iron known nearby? Trade routes we could trade with? If not, perhaps scout around for any potential interesting sites?

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:13 pm

► Show Spoiler
Suggestion: build some sort of building/device (as well as containers for the finished product) that would enable you to brew and/or distill alcoholic beverages from part of the wheat harvest. It's gonna improve morale and it's gonna provide a source of income, once we establish trade with other places, and then we might be able to buy more iron.
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:50 pm

Go into the hills and build a mine so that we might find iron and other metals.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:49 pm

As bows and arrows don't consume as much iron, the blacksmith and his apprentices should make bows while guards help instruct and train as they are able.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:55 pm

Okay, sounds like gathering iron is something definitely possible but a bit out of reach for us currently (especially as it appears we'd have to travel over the river to get to the closest potential spot) I'd skip out on the exploration for now and focus on other more simple things such as indeed the crafting of bows etc...

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:04 am

okay, ill scratch the exploring then :)
*I've added a (local) world map to the post, to give you guys a small sense of your surrounding areas. the map also has spotted resources marked on it...
*Do'h, i forgot one recourse, I'll mark that down and re upload in a few...
-Best regards LAYF

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:58 am

I mean, barring that we have the manpower to spare, of course. ;)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:41 am

ah, I didn't realize you would need to travel for iron. I scratched out that command. Here's my new one....

(Question: Do we need to tell them to continue to work on something, or will they leave it and do something else instead?)

Build a small bladed but tall Windmill beside your well, this will allow you to get water from the well with less effort and you can then build an irrigation network from it to your field.

(Is the trench their response to "build an aqueduct"?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:19 am

okay, An OOC Thread created to make the game thread more readable :)

Suggestions so far:
Make plans for a balista or other ranged weapon to take out rafts and other vehicles.
scout around for any potential interesting sites (resources)
Create brewing equipment, maybe even a brewery. (for morale and trade)
Go into the hills for iron (This would include leaving the currently explored area)
Create bows and arrows to preserve iron yet still increase weapon stocks.
Train with bows (and swords) when not working on something else.
Build a windmill to help gain water from the well, use the water for the farms.

forgot anything?
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:42 am

I suggested two things (not sure I'm allowed to do that), please nix go into hills for iron if I cannot have two.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Re: Our town (IIC) Open game - Year 0.3

Post by LAYF » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:50 am

Our town
Year 0.

While constructing the mill, the towns people notes how cumbersome it is to move about in the height grass, dragging tools and materials.
And as such they start flattening the earth for small road systems, making the path more accessible.

While they do, the mayor finds time to meditate and pray.
"Gods above, again I seek your guidance, we are prospering as well as we can, but I feel i should do more, please lead my way"
Again, four voices responds.
The first voice says "Defending your people is still important, you should let your best minds think of a plan to build a ballista, so you can shoot down any rafts or other crafts crossing the river."
A voice rings as the second god gives his advice "A balista is a good idea, but complicated, they should study the blacksmiths bows as he makes them, since he has less iron than he would want, he should make more bows instead."
The third voice tones in "But, do not let fear rule your people, you are successful and should celebrate, build a brewery or at least start brewing in large barrels, it will lift their spirits and mood!"
Lastly a the fourth voice comes trough "If you wish to brew and make flour, you must have more crops. You should build a wind-powered device to help dragging water up from the well, that way you can build an irrigation network, making sure your crops always has the water they need. "

The mayor stands and thinks for a bit, then answers "I'll put our best heads into the task of planning a ballista and a system for dragging water from the well, but I do not know if we can build such complicated constructions. time will tell.
A brewery could be set up in my house, it will take time to produce the barrels, but we can do it. And my son the Blacksmith and his apprentices are working hard on bows as we speak!"

And the towns people puts their hands to work.
The blacksmith produces 2 bows, and his apprentices helps the Mayors wife produce barrels for brewing. they are not done yet, but will be soon.

The two orcs has been seen spying on the workers again multiple times, a few nights ago a third joined them! This third orc was bigger than the others and carried both a bow and a big two-handed sword.

All who is able and has time train in the use of swords and bow, swinging sticks, wooden training swords and target practice.

NPC Character bio's added to OOC. suggestions for who to make next welcome. The Tap NPC Characters list who is and is not named/drawn yet.
Oh... and a OOC thread added.

.[tabs:Our Town status]
- Population 18./5 available.
- 1 Well and
- 1 Large Wheat farm.
- 1 Work horses.
- 1 Blacksmiths workshop
- Water driven mill flour mill.
- 2 Watch towers.
- Trench

Under construction
► Show Spoiler

Blacksmiths workshop
► Show Spoiler
Flour mill
► Show Spoiler
Guards
► Show Spoiler
Info on Resources
► Show Spoiler
Weapons
► Show Spoiler
Other
► Show Spoiler
- Population: 8+ Orcs

[tabs:Player status]
Gathers: 2 Influence point. /No character yet.
Badge: 2 Influence point. /No character yet.
Spider: 2 Influence point. /No character yet.
m0rt: 2 Influence point. /No character yet.

[tabs:NPC Characters]
18 from Our town:
Alton Farmhand - Founder and Mayor of Our town.
Jacob Farmhand - First blacksmith of Our town and second son to Alton Farmhand.
Unnamed woman - Mayors wife
Unnamed adult - Miller
Unnamed adult - Miller
Unnamed adult - Guard
8 Unnamed adults and young adults - 4 comming up with plans for ballista and a irrigation system,

8+ Orcs:
1 Big orc with bow and two-handed sword
2 Spying orcs
5+ Adult orcs.

[tabs:World map]
*Red dots are the rute travlers take to get her from the "old world" and the rute you'd have to take to send a trade caravan.
*Spotted greenskin camps (black eyes) has not been engaged, so hostility or friendliness is unknown, but a rule of thumb is that Orcs at least are hostile, mostly because they like to fight, goblins varies a lot from camp to camp.
*Hostile greenskins (red eyes) are greenskins that has activity attacked the towns folk or travelers.
*Anything drawn with white background is something you've only spotted in the distance, not something you've seen close up.
*Each square is roughly 800 by 800 meters (0,5 by 0,5 us mile)[/tabs]
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:11 am

We need to know more about the Orcs..Send your sneakiest person over to the small island in the middle of the river and have them spy on the orc encampment.

Perhaps the island can serve your needs and someday a watchtower can be built upon it to better protect the river crossing.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:46 am

build some training dummies, so people who practice bowman ship and/or sword fighting have a target. Also, the mill probably not defensible enough, fortify it, as possible (e.g. with pointy sticks rammed into the ground in a circle around it, leaving only a little way to the village - and where we have to walk/move stuff else - free)
► Show Spoiler

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Re: Our town (Game thread) Open game - Year 0.3

Post by askstoomuch » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:28 pm

get some villagers, to scout out the woods, and bring back medicinal herbs and anything else of use
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:27 pm

I got a couple of ideas for future npc's. One we should be able to get relatively soonish: Our local innkeeper, once we got a small pub going and the rest of the process.

Secondly, I'll use my "action" this round to start engaging that...

"If you ever wish to expand your village, you will need in the future, and especially now under these circumstances, a leader for your guard, a captain so to speak. Your sword fighter has been training admirably, as has been one of your dedicated archers-Promote one of them him to captain both as a morale boost and to create a central point of order should the guard expand in the future. For now he could focus his effort in help train the others- While the dedicated guard could wait with too much greater expansion, with the orc raiders nearby for now you will want everyone able to fend for themselves."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:29 pm

((Clear trees NE of village, to avoid incursion.)) - posted in OOC. Ooops.

The Town Guard should get the promotion to Captain, he was higher skilled to start with.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:30 pm

(Forgot about that, but in that case, definitely agree. I'll edit my post...)