TBS idea collection (opinions and ideas from all are welcom)

Home to all current Forum Games.

Moderator: Games Moderators

TBS idea collection (opinions and ideas from all are welcom)

Postby LAYF » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:37 am

Hello all. So, I've been working on a TBS game for the forum for a loooong time...

and i decided to use some time to make the combat part more automated.

For this i made a pretty complex Excel sheet. and are now looking for your input for tha game it self.

GAME IDEA:
Spoiler: show
Okay, so the game would be two part.

one "world map part" and one battle part.

World map, would be a open for all voting based stage, in this stage an army is moved around, decrees are written, tax is collected and units are recruited.
All Forumites would be able to vote in this stage, dictating the "will of the king/emperor/chief of who ever..."
This "king" would be sitting on the "treasure room" and would dictate where the army should go, and if a hero is allowed to recruit the units he wishes in towns/cites over the map.
The more units and leaders the army has the more expensive it will be, so the "king" must take resources into consideration. the king can allow an army to grow more costly than the kingdom can pay, but this will make people (and the army) angry over time...

The Battle part would be for 3 "Hero players" these players would each control a single Hero, each with a number of units under their command. (1 unit consists of 1-100 troops, each with Race, Class, Level, Health, Blesses, Curses and a Leader)
in the battle mode the players issues commands to their units. such as "Unit I, cover behind the cliffs to your left" and "Archers, rain arrows over that hill"
The units would then start doing that action, and will continue to follow that command until somehow stopped, a new command is issued or some other thing comes in the way.
That means, players don't have to respond every "round", if no new command is given, the units will just follow their last command/defend them selves if no command is given.

in the same way, when I start to update ill give a (12?) hours notes, from the notes is given, the players may issue new commands, if I've not updates said unit yet, it will follow the new command, if i have they will follow it from the next round.

In the same way, if players command their units to "march forward" i may "fast forward" and make the next update when something happens.... such as a new enemy unit spotted, or a group charging....

how does that sound? ideas?

EXCEL SHEET EXPLANATION:

Okay.. the Excel sheet (im proud of this one)
This sheet allows me to quickly create units of 1-100 troops each. by selecting "fraction/player hero", race of troops, class of troops, leader bonus, blessing bonus, curse effect, level and number of troops in the unit.
(The "Hero bonus" has been changed to leader bonus, since the Hero is the player, but the player also gives a bonus.
This part of the sheet also calculates teh price of each unit, giving me a price for the army's upkeep.

The unit then gets data from a collection of what player controls them (fraction) race, classe, leader bonuse, blessing and curse, all collected under one unit id.
Racse and class gives base stats, while player, leader, blessing and curse bonuses are multipliers.

Lastly, all this data can be used in the battle simulator.
Under the battle simulator I may choose who attacks who. what type of attack (or magic) they use, and if they attack directly or indirectly (fighting blind, raining arrows, or throwing magic on an unseen opponent would be indirect, while close combat in daylight, ranged combat within sight and range and spells thrown on a known opponent would be direct attacks)
Attacks deals damage that results in a number of kills, limited to the number of attacking and targetd troops, while doing magic created magic power, needed to cast spells. (each spell is different, and requires different magic power)

Talking about spells. each Unit class may know up to 3 schools of magic from the following 6: Fire, Ice, Death, Mind, Good, Evil.
The power behind them are based on what "rank" it has. so first school they know has a multiplyer of 1. second has one of 0,8 and last one has 0,6.

so, any suggestions?
If anyone wish to see this excel sheet, I'm willing to share it...

So, what do you guys think?

I have a lot of art ready for this game, but I'll keep that secret for now :)

EDIT 1:
Added another page to the sheet:

ELPLANATION OF NEW PAGE
So hte new page collects all the Hero fractions key data in one page.
Telling both economy, army size and number of special units... even calculating cost in PP, GP, SP and CP for the army upkeep and allowing for "other expenses" to be factored in round by round...
-Best regards LAYF
LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Re: TBS idea collection (opinions and ideas from all please)

Postby LAYF » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:23 pm

Some Sampels of game play (Not actual maps.... just placeholders)

World map game play sample:
Round 27:
The army stands in the middle of open land.
Current income: 1 GP/Round
Current expence: 2 GP & 4 CP/Round.
Treasury: 11 PP, 4GP, 7 SP & 2 CP.

Recruit-able troops in the capital (available for recruitment or training)
18 Humans
3 Elves
7 Dwarfs
11 Gnomes
Trained units in the capital (can be ordered to march and join the army)
4 Human archers
2 Human Priests
10 Human warriors

Current army size: 1 Hero, 2 Units (one of 9 Dwarven warriors, one of 10 Elven Archers), no leaders.

Last round actions:
The army was not moved last round,
No recruitment was made last round.
Last round the king commanded that Task 4: Building a temple should be continued, the task is now complete.

Players may vote one the following actions:
Army destination (use coordinates on map)
Votes:
6 votes - Goto 0,2.
2 votes - Goto 1,-2

The army has encountered 8 Elves, they can be recruited into the archer unit for 8 GP, or trained as a mage unit mages 16 Gold, or a Warrior unit for 6 Gold.
Votes:
5 votes - Join the archer (requested by Hero)
2 votes - Create mage unit (Pyromancers)
1 vote - try to haggle the price lower. (Diplomacy/Leadership)

One of our towns has just finished building a tempel, the town is happy. do you wish to issue other commands to your kingdom?
Votes:
6 votes - Increase recruitment from our Human settlements (+Avaliable humans, - Happiness, -2 CP per human town)
1 vote - Start building a grand temple for the sun god in the capital (+Happiness, - 5 PP/Round for 10 rounds)
1 vote - continue on task 3 (Train Lenoar'auror as a Mage based leader, Free, 3 rounds left)

The current tasks on hold are:
Task 1: Gather extra gold from the gold mine (increase income by 4 GP/round)
Task 2: Expand farming in the human lands (increases human population cap by 50, paid, 4 rounds left)
Task 3: Train Lenoar'auror as a Mage based leader. (Free, 3 rounds left)

Round 28:
The army stands in the middle of open land.
Current income: 1 GP/Round
Current expence: 2 GP & 4 CP/Round.
Treasury: 11 PP, 3GP, 6 SP & 6 CP.

Recruit-able troops in the capital (available for recruitment or training)
22 Humans
3 Elves
7 Dwarfs
11 Gnomes
Trained units in the capital (can be ordered to march and join the army)
4 Human archers
2 Human Priests
10 Human warriors

Current army size: 1 Hero, 2 Units (one of 9 Dwarven warriors, one of 18 Elven Archers), no leaders.

Last round actions:
The king commanded that the army move to 0,2. The army encountered an ambush.
The Army recruited 8 Elves into the archer unit, the archer unit is now 18 Elves strong.
Recruitment from human settlements has been increased, currently 22 Humans await training in the capital.

Players may vote one the following actions:
Army destination (use coordinates on map)
//The army cannot be moved, they encountered an ambush.//

No recruitment options.

Recruitment from human settlements was increased, what are our next order?
Votes:
1 vote - Start building a grand temple for the sun god in the capital (+Happiness, - 5 PP/Round for 10 rounds)
5 votes - continue on task 3 (Train Lenoar'auror as a Mage based leader, Free, 3 rounds left)
2 votes - Order all capital units to move to the army.

The current tasks on hold are:
Task 1: Gather extra gold from the gold mine (increase income by 4 GP/round)
Task 2: Expand farming in the human lands (increases human population cap by 50, paid, 4 rounds left)
Task 3: Train Lenoar'auror as a Mage based leader. (Free, 3 rounds left)

//All Hero players note, the army is in battle, please go to the battle thread [linky] and command your units.//

Battle map gameplay sample.
Round 1:

The greenskins are pouring down from the hills.

There are 3 units of 5 or fewer goblin warriors, 1 unit of 16 or fewer goblin warriors and one unit of 5 goblin archers. all are advancing.

Current unit Stats:
Unit I: Warrior Dwarfs, 9. level 5.
Unit II: Elven archers, 18. level 3.

Player 1:
"Unit I, stand ground, guard the way to this plateau. Unit 2, go to the western edge of the plateau and rain arrows over anyone in the valley."

Round 2:
The greenskins keep advancing, Your Elven archers of Unit II has reached the edge and are firing arrows. they have killed 3 goblins from two different units.

The Goblin archers has managed to kill one of your elven archers from unit II.

Current unit Stats:
Unit I: Warrior Dwarfs, 9. level 5.
Unit II: Elven archers, 17. level 3.

Player 1:
"Unit II, change target, annihilate the goblin archers!"

Round 3:
The largest goblin unit has reached your Dwarven warriors of Unit 1, in the clash 7 Goblins and 2 Dwarves has been killed.

The Goblin archers has been reduced by 2, they managed to kill another Elven archer from unit II.

The rest of the Goblins are advancing.

Current unit Stats:
Unit I: Warrior Dwarfs, 7. level 5.
Unit II: Elven archers, 16. level 3.

Player 1:
"Unit 1: Keep holding them back, Unit II fire at the valley again."

That is all just samples of course.
if the player had had any mages and spells (the hero has a spell book if he has found any spells) they could also order the mage units to start gathering Magic power to perform the spells.
Spells can be cast from either the unit(s) generating hte power for them, or from the hero. The hero can normally not create spells themselves, but can fight if the player wish so.

again, what do you guys think? The map styles will change, I hope to have 5 or more different battle grounds and 1 bit world map.

Oh... and i added another page to the excel sheet
(now also in the intro post)
-Best regards LAYF
LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Return to Forum Games