The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:57 pm

Ok, now you're at the temple, let's go hour by hour. You guys tell me what you'd like to do and give me a roll (I'll ask for a different one if necessary, but your judgement is probably good :))
What happens next depends on your degree of success.

Younhave 6 hours until you all need to return to the temple. How would you like to start?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:06 pm

Hm... I guess Mehr will seek out merchants and see if they work as individuals or belong to a guild or family? Uh... Perception and persuasion?

Perception: 17, Persuasion: 14
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:28 pm

Gwen will try to find out why everyone seems to hate the arcane magics and try to appease them. She takes requests for minor illusions l, purposly ignoring volcal minor illusions, telling them that is boring and if anyoune asks for something lewd, suggests that any lewd ones will have to wait until the kids are not watching and gives them a wink. She gets her lockbox ready as she is preforming.
Persuasion, perform: 1D20+4 = [11]+4 = 15
1D20+6 = [10]+6 = 16

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:38 pm

((whats the lockbox for out of curiosity? and didn't you leave it in the shop?))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:43 pm

thinkslogically wrote:((whats the lockbox for out of curiosity? and didn't you leave it in the shop?))
Ooh I might have. Well...I figured I might get some money out from this? o:)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:48 pm

Oh, sure! Any old container / bag / hat will do for busking though :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:51 pm

What does the temple district have in terms of taverns? I'm thinking I'll do some eavesdropping among the day drinkers...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:03 pm

thinkslogically wrote:Oh, sure! Any old container / bag / hat will do for busking though :)
Okay cool! I'm sure the travler's clothes would have something that would help with that....

EDIT: I can't find anything on that regard but apparently there is something called trinkets?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:04 pm

Imagine d&d-style hipster bars and cafes. They have those up here :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:05 pm

Just minor illusion yourself a bowl. :lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:16 pm

:lol: while amusing, I need my minor illusions to entertain! Well... Uh...I guess I'm not using a shoe for a while if travler's clothes doesn't have anything? :lol:

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:06 pm

(Yes, I meant pool of 5 HP. For some reason, I misremembered how that worked. Thanks.)

Burns, you could use your backpack. Or presumably your traveler's clothes include some kind of hood, hat, or scarf.

"Merhiv, is there anything useful I could do for you and the group?"

If his employer doesn't have any suggestions for him, Kal will go into the temple. There, he'll help tend to Thaqorel, help care for the temple (while appreciating its beauty), have lunch with the other acolytes, get to know people, try to learn more about the city and how things work (general knowledge - whatever people would tell him when he mentions in casual conversation that he's a newcomer seeking to learn and experience more), offer his devotions, etc.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:31 pm

"Don't concern yourself about it, just see to your own interests and be sure to be ready when we're expected."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:14 pm

With nothing better to do, Syli opts to conceal the evidence of her light fingers, using her street-saavy to quickly make a return to the shop and stash her ill-gotten writing implements. She also stows the spare key she lifted in the shop's outhouse.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:51 pm

The party decide to go their separate ways for the afternoon.

Syli is feeling increasingly concerned about the idea of being caught with stolen goods from the ship and decides it's best to hide them back in their shop. With the heat of the day building, the road is getting quieter at least and she makes good progress. Unfortunately, there's not really much call for her mad Urban Knowledge Skillz at this point in the trip since there's really only one road.

About halfway to the bridge, she meets the rather sombre procession of Valeria Morley and a couple of guards bringing their dead pilot to the Temple of Pelor and steps off the path to let them pass.

About a half mile on, she passes the Iskat being pulled along the river by a rope tied to a cart horse. Dorral is visible at the pilot's position on the quarterdeck, looking sombre, but at ease.

By the time she reaches the bridge, there are only half a dozen people still hanging around, and two of them are guards.

If there's anything you want to do en route, feel free to make actions, but those are the main things that happen on your journey.

-------------

Kal heads inside the cool, sunlit Temple and helps the acolytes tend to Thaquorels burns, applying cooling salves and bandages to the worst of them. The ambient sound of running water is pleasantly relaxing.

Kal enquires as to why they don't simply use magic to heal the dragonborn and send him on his way. The acolyte chuckles before realising Kal is serious and replies:

"Forgive me sir, but there is no need. The Radiant Father and Mother could heal him in an instant, of course, and we have four other healers who work in the city itself, but their skills and time are best spent tending to those in the city who are truly ill or grievously injured. Thaqorel will recover excellently with a bit of rest and some herbs to ease the mild itching as he heals."

Thaq grunts unhappily, and Kal suspects Thaq knows exactly how "mild" the itching is going to get.

"If you have time to spare, we can always use some extra help around here. Come, I'll show you what needs to be done today, and we can start after lunch."

Leaving Thaq to rest, the acolyte leads Kal through to the private area of the vast Temple and shows him where to stow his things for now, and then gives a quick tour of the facilities, including a communal dining area and kitchen, a small glasshouse for growing herbs, the laundry, cleaning supply room, and the private quarters for the various staff.

Eventually, a bell sounds and the acolyte beams at Kal:
"That's the lunch bell! Will you join us? I'm sure the others will be keen to hear your tales!"

------------------

Korrik decides to go looking for a pub, and finds a promising-looking place at the west-side of the Temple Square called the "Dog and his Hare". There's a sign hanging outside promising "Free Beers and False Advertising", but at least it seems to be fairly busy.

Inside the small bar room, the walls are decorated with various paintings and sketches of strange creatures, and instead of lanterns, there are floating coloured orbs just hanging in the air. There are several communal tables with long benches squashed in against the lefthand wall, all of which seem to be carved from stone and don't look in the least bit comfortable. Still, plenty of people are here and a number of groups are sitting around, drinking and chatting. Most seem to be talking about their own affairs, but Korrik overhears snippets from at least one table who seem to be discussing the Iskat. There are two tables where mixed-race groups of well-dressed people are sitting, and a third table seating a pair of what he thinks may be half-elves, who are laughing and sharing stories. They appear to be dressed more for travelling, and have a large leather satchel wedged under their bench. He also spots a lone halfling sitting at the back of the room who is staring blankly into his mug, apparently lost in thought.

There are several empty stools along the bar, but no-one is using them. The bartender (a human wearing a waistcoat and a ridiculously well-kept moustache), looks up from cleaning glasses and nods to Korrik.

"What'll it be sir? Need a menu?"

-----------------------

Mehriv decides to go and explore the Merchant's Quarter in search of information. Darruk tags along, because why not.

Heading north from the Temple Quarter, he soon arrives in the wide streets that Syli visited yesterday, lined with large, white mansions with red tiled roofs. Flowers and fountains line the walk and there is a guard posted on every corner. As he walks, he quickly realises that these are the Hightown guildhalls.

Walking along the street, he passes the halls of the:
  • Calligraphers, Scribes and Scriveners
  • Jewellers and Gemcutters
  • Brewers and Vintners
  • Smiths and Metal-forgers
Similar buildings line the next street on leading from east to west; Mehriv can continue to explore or try and visit one of these ones.

---------------------------

Gwen decides this community needs a bit of a magical education. Dropping her pack and spreading her cloak in front of her, Gwen announces her presence to the crowd and offers to show off her powers of illusion!

There is certainly some initial reluctance from the crowd to join in, but after 10 minutes or so of creating a wild chase between a whole range of strange animals and imaginary creatures, people start to take interest and shout weird inventions of their own to see if Gwen can keep up.

After an hour of performing, she has gathered a decent-sized crowd and there are more than a few grumbles of complaint when the city guard arrive and politely suggest Gwen should pack up and move on since they're very sure she doesn't have a licence to perform in this part of town, and besides, there's a funeral procession coming...

She has earned 2 sp and 7 coppers.

----------------------------
Kal, Gwen and Syli's actions take them up to the end of their hours, Mehriv and Korrik have a couple of quick choices to make first

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:23 pm

Mehr will visit the scholar's guild, being that those of academic intent will hold better information, asking after the involvement of merchant families in the guild.
My game:

My characters:

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:58 pm

Kal will come to lunch and exchange tales of the elven forest for tales of city life. Hunting with Mom, tending the little shrine in the clearing with Dad, that time the bugbear wandered into the village in the middle of the night and got drunk from guzzling half a barrel full of festival mead...
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:15 pm

Dlover wrote:Mehr will visit the scholar's guild, being that those of academic intent will hold better information, asking after the involvement of merchant families in the guild.
((You mean like a college? Or are you trying to find an archivist? Syli already tried to find a library with limited success, but I'll take a knowledge roll of your choice and we'll see what your noble know-how gets you.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:13 pm

thinkslogically wrote:Walking along the street, he passes the halls of the:
  • Calligraphers, Scribes and Scriveners
  • Jewellers and Gemcutters
  • Brewers and Vintners
  • Smiths and Metal-forgers
Would that first hall not be summed up as a "scholar's guild"?
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:07 am

((Could just mean they copy things, without getting into scholarly pursuits... Life a Fantasy Kinkos?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:40 am

Ah, that's a point... Well, in that case Mehr will continue down the next street, looking for a hall of more scholarly pursuits. Well, anyway, the knowledge roll if you want it... Insight? Does that count?

Insight: 13
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:49 am

"What'll it be sir? Need a menu?"

"Sure, I'll take a look!"

((I'd like to figure out if the people talking about the Iskat are speaking from firsthand knowledge or more of a "hey, I heard this happened"... if they are witnesses I might avoid them a bit more than if they are just discussing events they'd heard of. Check for that?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:34 am

Sure, I'll take perception for Korrik if he's just starting with a bit of eavesdropping.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:05 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:49 pm

12 - 1pm

Korrik accepts the menu from the barman and takes a look at the beers on offer:
► Show Spoiler
Korrik tries to eavesdrop on the Iskat conversation, and hears:

"It was strange to see the ship come in like that! And listen to this..."

As the speaker leans conspiratorially towards his companions, the barman comes back.

"You need any help deciding? The Brindleberry is good at this time of year, it's a nice seasonal saison with some really lovely hoppy notes and citrus on the nose"

Korrik sighs at the man.

It is approximately 12.15pm

-----------------------------------

Mehriv decides to try and find an archivist. Down the next street to the left, he finds the builders' guilds:
  • Carpenters, roofers, and plasterers
  • Potters and tile-makers
  • Masons and stonecutters
  • Painters, limners, and sign-makers
Backtracking, he tries the other direction and finds some more guilds:
  • Cobblers and shoemakers
  • Tinkers, pewterers, and casters
  • Woodcarvers, coopers, and bowyers
  • Weavers and dyers
But no archives.

Pausing to think about it for a bit, he decides that a Town Hall might be a good place to try and find city records and information on Hightown's population and trade and the like. Still, if there are useful records to be found in town, it's likely that the scribe's guild probably had something to do with creating them.

Darruk makes a mental note to tell Kal about the woodcarver's guild.

It is approximately 12.30pm

-----------------------------

1 - 2pm

Kal spends a very enjoyable half hour eating a meal of cheese, soft bread and a delicious variety of fruit chutneys with the Temple acolytes, entertaining them with stories of home and hearing what news they have. The Radiant Father and Radiant Mother do not come to the meal, but it's apparently not unusual for them to eat in their own rooms if they are busy with other work.

Over the course of the meal, Kal learns that things are generally good in town at the moment. The ruling families seem to do a good job of making sure that traders keep coming to the city, in part thanks to the strange goods that the River Ships bring in, and they appear to do a reasonable job of ruling. In turn, that means the acolytes of the temple mostly spend their days tending to the temple and their gardens, or providing palliative care for the old and sick in town, or making occasional short excursions to collect rare spices and roots from the jungle. From the sounds of things, none have spent any real time in the wilds, and they are deeply impressed that Kal has seen a bugbear.

After about half an hour, the bell rings again and lunch is cut short. A more senior priestess hurries to the dining area:

"The Morley's are bringing one of their family to us! Quickly! All of you! Get to your stations, we have only a few minutes!"

There is a clamour of activity as the acolytes hurry to clear their plates and get to their stations. Spotting Kal, the priestess says:

"If you have your robes with you, you would be welcome to join us for the vigil if you wish it.", then she too hurries away.

It is approximately 1.30pm

----------------------------------------------------

Syli keeps on hurrying back to the shop, focused on getting there quickly. She will arrive in a few minutes.

It is currently 2pm

-----------------------------------------------------

Gwen hasn't decided what to do next.

It is currently 1pm

------------------------------------------------------