The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by WearsHats » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:14 pm

Kal obediently stands guard. Maritime law and merchant houses are beyond him. His companions are searching the ship for survivors. The guard says he should otherwise leave things alone and make sure nothing gets destroyed and evidence isn't tampered with. That works for him.

He calls back up to the guard on the bridge. "Now that we have the ship under control, is there anything we can do with it so it's not blocking the bridge? Or is it better to wait for the owners to send a trained pilot?"
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:53 pm

Darr├╝k will follow in the search for survivors, lending healing if/where needed...
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:06 am

Korrik happily continues doing what he's doing.

If anyone is actively looking for stuff (survivors, approaching mobs etc), I'd like perception checks please, otherwise I'll assume you're just relying on your passive scores.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:59 am

Is there a vantage point that isn't too precarious that I can reach? I want to keep an eye out for looters, so perception, or acrobatics and perception?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:04 pm

Well, the deck cover looks pretty secure and it's pretty easy to climb onto, so you could go up there and keep watch. It'd probably be athletics the climb as standard though (but like I say it's not a hard DC), unless you can describe an acrobatic way of getting up there :)

Once you're up there, I'll take a perception check.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:12 pm

((If there is something I can brace my staff across, leap, swing around it and flip up to land on the deck cover like a gymnast on uneven bars... Or...Kick off something and use it to vault onto the deck cover... ?))

Getting on the deck cover: 1D20+6 = [10]+6 = 16

If neither of those suffice, then the +6 doesn't exist and it's a straight 10.

Perception check for looters: 1D20+2 = [13]+2 = 15
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:18 pm

-Best regards LAYF

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:50 pm

"Darruk, before you head down, mind giving me a boost? I can barely see over the sides from the deck."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:53 pm

"Sure thing mate!" Darr├╝k says as he casually do a bit of
tossing the tosser: 1D20+3 = [19]+3 = 22
-Best regards LAYF

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:25 pm

Mehr perception (Looking for looters): 20 (Not natural)
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:11 pm

Gwen keeps an eye out for anything suspicious. Per: 1D20+1 = [20]+1 = 21

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:17 pm

Most of the party keep watch.

Darruk offers to give Korrik a boost onto the deck cover. Grabbing the halfling by the collar and belt, he spins in place and sends Korrik launching high into the air above the small vessel; considerably higher than is necessary in fact, but that's no object to Korrik, who lands lightly on the deck and absorbs the impact with a roll.

Kal calls back to Thaquorel:
"Now that we have the ship under control, is there anything we can do with it so it's not blocking the bridge? Or is it better to wait for the owners to send a trained pilot?"
"Just keep watch until the guard get here! If the boat's been abandoned, people will be swimming in to get a piece of it!"

Mehr, Gwen, Kal and Korrik stand watch around the upper deck of the Iskat. Plenty of crowds are still gathering along the river banks, and there is a great deal of morbid curiosity as alarm as people start to notice the body of the dead pilot. A few voices start shouting over the others:

It's murder! Look! They've killed the crew!
"Who's that on the bridge anyway!? I bet they're in on it!"
"Shut up Frindle, they're with that guard!"
"So?! They're all just thieves!"

The crowd's tone is shifting back towards unpleasantness, but they seem content to just shout and point than actually do anything, and the group is at least out of range at any rate. Trying to ignore the rabble, Gwen is the first to hear the sound of an alarm bell on the wind, ringing somewhere back in the town. A couple of minutes later, Korrik spots a couple of folk in a shallow boat punting their way hurriedly upstream to the Iskat, obviously rushing to be the first to reach the boat, with another, rickety-looking vessel close behind. The others hear shouting a few seconds later, but don't have a good view downstream from the upper deck. The real owner of at least one of the boat is jogging along the bank, yelling at the thieves to bring it back, and so far, nothing else has come downstream...

---------------------------

Darruk dusts his hands and follows Syli down to the next deck. He isn't particularly quiet about it, but his low-light vision at least means he can see easily amongst the shadows and boxes. The small room he descends into seems to be a general equipment-storage space, and there are heavy canvas cloaks hanging up above three pairs of thick leather boots. The space then opens into an large room with three seats along each side, on top of which are six motionless figures, holding the remains of the ship's oars. Rushing forward to check for signs of life, he is taken aback to find that they are some sort of humanoid sculptures. Some of them are cracked or have pieces broken off, but all of them are carved from wood, and are covered in strange marks.

Moving towards the stern to continue his search, Darruk finds a small room with two empty bunks (four beds total) on either side then a leading to the stern of the ship. Four canvas bags are stowed neatly at the end of each bunk, and there's a small desk in the corner underneath an unlit lantern.

-------------------------------

You're all more or less at the same time (except Syli who is a little behind). Syli, if you wanted to explore this deck with Darruk, you would have learned the same as him; if you wanted to do something else you are welcome to do so.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:29 pm

Gwen readies an action to blast a thief with eldrich blast if it looks like they are thieving.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:41 pm

Popping to my feet with a grin, I find a spot on the cover that gives an easy vantage point, eventually spotting a boat making its way towards the Iskat.

I reach down with my quarterstaff and thump it on the deck to alert the others both above and below deck. "We got incoming!", I call out, pointing downstream to alert those above deck.

Scurrying closest to the dragonborn, "Mehr! We probably ought to keep this as bloodless as possible, I don't know anything about the owners. We might be acting in their interests, and at the direction of the guard, but bloodying civilians our second day in town might get us attention we don't want. And no guarantee they'll be grateful enough to have our backs..."

I move towards the side of the boat the potential looters are approaching from (looking to position myself where a boarding party would be coming aboard).

((By Thaq saying people will be swimming in to get a piece, am I correct in thinking that the acid river bit is downstream from here? If so, how far down stream? I'm assuming the current is fairly slow here for some random opportunists to be able to fight their way upstream?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:56 pm

"What in the world..." Syli murmurs as she looks at the sculptures. "I mean... easy money says these used to be crew, but..." Her attention turns to the strange markings, trying to determine if they have any significance, but is mostly just left baffled.

Arcana (+3): 5

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:24 pm

Kal readies his bow, but is reluctant to fire on humanoids. He looks at them, trying to sense what they're about and why.
► Show Spoiler
He also examines them more closely, using his keen elven sight.
► Show Spoiler
"Attention! This boat is under guard until it is claimed by the proper owner and the tragedy has been investigated by the authorities. There will be no looting or tampering with evidence. Keep back unless you have official right to be here and are prepared to prove it.
I do not want to hurt anyone, but I and my companions will defend this vessel. Everyone please stay calm and keep clear."

► Show Spoiler
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:55 am

Perception to hear Korrik: 1D20+3 = [14]+3 = 17

IF he hears it he will listen more carefully if he is called up, until then he will:

Darr├╝k, deciding that the last room is simply sailors quarters, he will retunr and examine the "statues", to see if he can identify the marks or any magic on them. using Guidance: 1D4 = [2] = 2 and his knowledge of Religion: 1D20+2+2 = [20]+2+2 = 24 (Natural 20, + 2 religion + 2 guidance) he tries to see if its some king for ritual or other divine magic, or if not, maybe his limited knowledge of the Arcane: 1D20 = [17] = 17 can give him some insight!
-Best regards LAYF

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:49 am

Mehr slices a line between the approaching boats and the ship using Ray of Frost, leaving a frosty arc on the river's surface, "As he said, the ship is protected. Anybody who tries to board will be recognised as a criminal and detained. Make things difficult or harm my charges and I'll be less reasonable."

That's... Probably Intimidation, rather than Persuasion, right? 10. 12 if Persuasion works.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:40 am

((Spider- the whole river is acidic as far as you can tell from the colour and lack of much vegetation, but Thaquorel is saying the boat is basically valuable enough that some people might take the (really dumb) risk of jumping in. That's not happened so far tho.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:46 am

((Ok, I wasn't sure, since the drawing you gave us had the water depicted as blue. Mostly wanting to find out before anyone ends up going overboard...))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:21 am

Korrik shouts a warning to the others that there are a couple of boats approaching and watches as they draw closer. Thaquorel curses and rushes to the downstream end of the bridge and yells at them to stay back from the ship, but they just jeer at him and keep coming. They are heading straight towards the prow. One of the men appears to be readying some kind of weapon.

Kal readies his bow and peers around the side of the ship. He doesn't have a good view from here, so he moves round to the bridge besides Thaquorel, near the prow of the ship. From here, he can see that the weapon the second man is wielding is a hatchet. Strangely, the prospective thieves seem to be focused intentely on reaching the ship, but aren't taking a sensible course if they're aiming to board it...

Holding his bow in plain view, he shouts a warning to the pair, which seems to give them pause. The first man glances between Kal and their prize, obviously sorely tempted, but a quick Ray of Frost across their bows from a nobleman seems to change their minds about their odds of success, and the man throws his hatchet down in anger. The second boat of people seems to reach a similar conclusion and stop approaching.

Gwen doesn't get to eldritch blast anyone.

Syli and Darruk continue exploring the ship, taking time to study the strange statues and their markings. The creatures are shaped like small, faceless humanoids, but the markings are unusual and like nothing he or Syli have ever seen before. He's certain the carvings don't have any divine origin, and is fairly sure they are probably some school of arcane magic. The complexity of the symbols suggests to Darruk that the magic must be extremely powerful, but that's about all he can tell. Syli is just confused and can't make heads or tails of the marks.

Both of them hear Korrik's shout and some more shouted warnings, but they're not followed by any sounds of battle or anything so they assume things are under control.

-------------------------------------------

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:34 am

Darr├╗k shares what little he learns: "Sure thing ain't any divine castings we are dealing with, but A am near dead sure those markings are arcane magic, and powerful to add!! nor much more A can tell here, maybe our employee will kno more?", at the commotion above deck he looks up and yells "NEED ANY HELP UP THERE MATES?" if anyone yells yes or otherwise encourage him to come up, he will, if not, he will look for other signs of what has happened... Perception: 1D20+3 = [14]+3 = 17
-Best regards LAYF

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:08 pm

"You best to return those boats to thier rightful owners now, We do not want to cause a commotion do we?
Persuasion: 1D20+4 = [6]+4 = 10

Reading eldrich blazt near them if they don't comply.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:25 pm

I'll take intimidation over persuasion here if you're threatening them please Burns.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:33 pm

"Besides, looks like whoever killed the crew already looted the boat. No sense causing a ruckus for nothing.", I remark convincingly.

Deception: 1D20+4 = [20]+4 = 24
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler