The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Dlover » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:40 am

"I imagine the merchant council will lay claim to it and ignore what anyone else wishes, unfortunately... So if anything of worth can be pocketed without notice I shall not reprimand anyone for it."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:10 am

A quick look around doesn't show up any anchors at the stern (back) of the ship, but Kal luckily has his rope with him and is able to loop it around part of the bridge and toss the other end to Korrik. Together they bring the boat to a halt, and tie the rope down more securely. The boat strains a bit against the ropes now it's not free to drift, but the rope and bridge seem able to hold it for now.

A cheer goes up from part of the crowd along with some shouts of outrage as others realise the bridge won't be opening any time soon.

There's a flurry of activity as a small group take off back towards the town to fetch (or "borrow") boats of their own.

Thaquorel curses loudly and yells to the other guard

"WE ARE GOING TO NEED BACKUP! GET BACK TO TOWN AND FETCH HELP!"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:25 am

"Dar, can you tell how long since she's been shot?"

I carefully ease my way forward on the ship, looking for other crew members or anchors.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:30 am

"Heh. I think you and I'll get along juuust fine," Syli murmurs back to her dragonborn employer. With the rope secure, she then attempts to jump across to the boat.

Athletics (-1): 3

(...I don't suppose I get advantage on that since the boat's tied now, eh?)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:37 am

Yes, I was going to suggest that if you're just hopping over to the quarterdeck where the others are you don't need to roll at all. If you're climbing onto the deck cover you'd still need a roll though.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:56 am

Yeah, I'm just hopping over to the quarterdeck with the others.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:02 pm

Then you are welcome to do so :)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:22 pm

Gwen is going to stay on the safe bridge and watch from afar :nod:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:27 pm

Are you taking actions or just waiting to see how events progress?

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:00 pm

Syli's hop could've been slightly more graceful, as she winds up faceplanting on the deck of the ship. Quickly popping back upright and shrugging it off as if it were a deliberate part of her jumping regimen, she turns to the other two. "So, boys, what's the next move?"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:02 pm

thinkslogically wrote:Are you taking actions or just waiting to see how events progress?
Um....Not sure yet. Don't want to cause too much damage. Maybe ready an action to eldrich blast a hostile but I'd rather wait and see.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:16 pm

► Show Spoiler
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:34 pm

((Sounds good, I'll deal with your rolls as necessary until you're back))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:40 pm

((Darr├╝k is closer to the pilot, and presumably better at checking for signs of life, I've moved on to examine the boat further.))

Looking back at Syli dusting herself off, "See if any more of the crew is on board, and get the boat secured. If that rope breaks, we're headed down river again."

I head forward on the boat.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:04 am

"Dar, can you tell how long since she's been shot?"

"Just a second mate, A'll take a look"

Darr├╝k, feeling assured the boat won't not suddenly start moving again, starts to examine the body for any signs of life and/or other reasons of death than the arrow:
Medicine roll: 1D20+3 = [14]+3 = 17
He will say out loud what he discovers, but only loud enough that those on the ship can hear it, not wanting tell any stuff that could scare or scar the kids in the crowds.
-Best regards LAYF

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:30 pm

Syli hops inelegantly onto the secured ship with the others, slipping on the same patch of bridge that Korrik had trouble with. Someone must have spilled something... Mehriv and Gwen wait warily on the swing bridge.

Thaquorel has moved away from the mechanism and seems to be fully focused on the crowd, occasionally yelling at anyone who looks like they're doing something too reckless. Finally taking some notice of the group, he calls over to Korrik and Kal:

"Hey! Korrik! Kal! The Morley's will be livid about this, and they'll be worse if they think anyone's been messing around on the Iskat. Keep folk off it would you? And don't touch anything or they'll have my hide for their boots!"

Kal checks the pilot for signs of life, but she seems to be dead. Darruk also checks the body, but doesn't detect any signs of life either.

However, now that they are looking more closely at the body, they notice that the arrow is crudely carved and unusually thick, with long, oily, dark green fletching. Kal guesses that this arrow must was probably fired by a powerful archer... It's certainly larger than the arrow he uses with his shortbow.

Korrik moves forward under the deck cover. As his eyes adjust to the shadows, he confirms that the crates and boxes do indeed seem to sealed and undamaged. Large trapdoors creak under his feet, presumably leading deeper into the ship, but they're impossible to open while the cargo is loaded on top of them. A couple of hammocks hang limply from hooks over thick coils of rope and an unlit lantern hangs over the middle of the space. Moving further forwards towards the prow, he spots a small, open access hatch leading down into darkness.

---------------------------------------

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:05 pm

((How close is the boat to the banks of the river? By keeping people off it, does he mean that people might be trying to jump from the banks, or people boarding from the boats they were mentioned scrambling for?))

I nod and wave in Thaquorel's direction, and call Syli and Darr├╝k to the front of the boat, pointing out the dark hatch. "Might be injured crew down there... do we want to check it out, or just keep watch topside?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:49 pm

"Hmm, protecting the cargo of a ship owned by a merchant family may be a good foot in the door for building relations with them." Mehr steps over to the level deck, "Everyone keep the ship safe, as the guard requested. Two people should make a quick check below deck, make sure there's nobody down there. If there's any danger, alert us immediately."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:09 pm

((The boat is probably about 10 feet from the bank, so it could be jumped if someone was feeling brave. The quarterdeck would be the only place to land from a jump like that though - the deck cover is too high to allow an average person to safely make it over. The distance from the bridge to the far bank would be closer to 25 feet. The boat itself is probably 15 feet wide and 40 feet long, so it's a fairly small vessel.))

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:57 am

Syli ambles over, peering down into the hatch. "No sense waiting up here, nothing we can do up here."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:13 am

I'll take a perception check then please.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:55 pm

"You two are better suited for poking around in the dark... it sounded like Thaq was worried about folks trying to board the ship and loot it. I'll keep watch up here, but holler if you need me, and I'll try not to hit you when I'm swinging blind."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:47 pm

Syli Perception (+5): 24

((The dice hate everything about Syli. Except her perception.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:57 pm

Noice.

Syli pokes her head into the hatchway and listens intently, but all she hears is the sound of creaking wood and lapping water. As her eyes adjust, she thinks she can make out a dim glowing square outline from the deck just down the ladder below her. She suspects there may be another hatch...

Korrik, let's have an insight check.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:02 pm

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler