The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:46 pm

((Fair enough; you can always ready an action if you like, but waiting for the boat to drift over is completely fine too))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:24 pm

Hm. Well, expecting unpleasants on the ship, Mehr's ready to launch a Ray of Frost should any show themselves.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:39 pm

Craaaap! I was hoping that would work! At least dlover cant get mad at me for trying? Next time i know to cast hext before minor illusion for sound

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:45 pm

So the boat is drifting. The kids in the tree are 20-30 feet away. I have a +5 to athletics, but we're talking about an Olympic level long jump. And if I miss, I'm falling into acid. (BTW, Thinks, do you read Robin Hobb?) Do I have a rough idea of the DC of the jump to shore?

It was a good try, Burns.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:49 pm

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:04 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:32 pm

WearsHats wrote:So the boat is drifting. The kids in the tree are 20-30 feet away. I have a +5 to athletics, but we're talking about an Olympic level long jump. And if I miss, I'm falling into acid. (BTW, Thinks, do you read Robin Hobb?) Do I have a rough idea of the DC of the jump to shore?
Even if you can jump that far, can the tree stand the impact?
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:05 pm

I would jump to the bank near the tree. Not planning to play George of the Jungle.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:33 pm

WearsHats wrote:(BTW, Thinks, do you read Robin Hobb?)
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:53 pm

► Show Spoiler
Kal looks at the kids, but they're too far. He calls out again. "You heard that branch snap? Could be your branch next time! Stay back if you don't want to get dropped into acid! ... And you in the crowd! There are kids crawling on a broken branch! Go help them before they hurt themselves! Or worse!"

Otherwise, Kal is going to stay back for now. He's not sure jumping down to the ship would help, and everything else is out of reach. He will, however, get the rope out of his pack in case it proves useful.

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:56 pm

WearsHats wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:10 pm

all right, can i have a persuasion check from kal please? I'll move the update on regardless tomorrow.

I'll take a dex save from korrik too since it's pretty inevitable :)

As for jumping, the phb says this:
► Show Spoiler
Sorry about the delay on that one, I had to actually look it up in the book... Basically from a standing jump, you'd be able to make it half of your strength score in feet. I'm not sure I like those rules because it seems like a really short distance so I'm happy to be a bit flexible with it, but that's what's in the phb.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:16 pm

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:17 pm

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:09 am

Ooops! I'm new to being a halfling, forgot that I have the Lucky trait!
Lucky. When you roll a 1 on an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll.
Athletics: Lucky reroll + Guidance: 1D20+1 = [11]+1 = 12
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:42 am

► Show Spoiler
Kal shouts to the young men in the tree to get back before their tree really does collapse underneath them. They hesitate for a moment, but seem to believe him and start edging their way back towards the shore. A couple of people in the crowd seem to have paid attention to Kal's shout too and move to help the kids climb back safely. Which is good, because they are a lot less surefooted than they were before. One slips on the way back, but luckily a local is able to grab him before he hits the water and they're dragged away looking sheepish...

Mehriv readies his spells and waits to see what leaps out of the boat at them...

Korrik and Darruk run up to the end of the bridge and prepare to jump onto the boat. Korrik suddenly loses his footing as he leaps towards the vessel, but the boat must have hit a little eddy or wave or something because it suddenly bounces towards the pair and Korrik lands safely, just on the edge of the quarterdeck. To their right, they see body of the pilot slumped back and leaning over the rudder. A large, black-feathered arrow protrudes from her chest and her leather jerkin is stained dark. To their left, they can see open boxes of cargo carefully stowed under the deck covering. Nothing seems particularly unusual about it at first glance.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:18 am

Darr├╝k runs towards the roder, pushes the man to the side and tries to steer the boat clear of the worst possible impact.
"How do we stop this thing!!!" he yells at Korrik

(do you want any rolls? I decided it would make little sense to have Darr├╝k know about anchors... The rudder makes some sense, but being a land dwarf I think the concept of dropping an anchor is lost on him at least for now)
-Best regards LAYF

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:32 am

"Just keep us pointed away from things! Is she dead?"

Do I see any anchors that can be dropped?
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:49 am

► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:35 pm

► Show Spoiler
Kal will tie one end of his rope to a sturdy-looking bridge support, then, with the ship now close by, drop down to tie the other end to an anchor point or sturdy-looking railing. Since the ship is only drifting, that should hopefully be enough to hold, and provide a way back up.
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:10 pm

Should be good. Tying a rope to secure a boat is fairly trivial, and there are plenty of cleats for exactly that purpose, so don't worry about rolling.

Changed the typo too. The pilot is female :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:15 pm

If I don't see any anchors, but Kal tosses a rope, I will help to tie it off.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:04 pm

Oh great. If the pilot's been shot and the looted boxes have been stowed away I may have been right about undesirables hiding on the ship.
My game:

My characters:

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:21 pm

Or someone shot the pilot and left some or all of the cargo stowed, just as it had been the whole trip. Shot her from shore, perhaps, without ever setting foot on deck. Or grabbed some small but important/valuable item(s) and escaped, leaving the bulky stuff behind. We don't know much of anything yet.

► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:47 pm

Syli assists Kal in tying the boat off. "So, if there's no one on the boat, does that mean we get it as salvage? Maybe?"
► Show Spoiler