The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:01 pm

"Acid rain?! Hah! Where would you get such a strange idea!"

The guard gives you a toothy grin.

"No, it just rains every day about the middle of the afternoon is all. It doesn't last long, but it's heavy. You can probably make it to the Temple if you hurry, but you'll be able to find shelter up in the Fancy Town if you're caught out."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:14 pm

"Just had me a bit nervous with the acid rivers and all. If we need to hurry, we'd best get going. I'm Korrik, by the way, and this is Kal, we're opening a small business with some associates here in town... recovering this and that, selling a bit of that and this... it might take us a bit to get set up, but feel free to look our shop up in the future. "Deliveries and Dangers - 5 Experts", or just "D&D 5e", we're setting up were the "Bloodbath and Beyond" used to be."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:34 pm

"Catchy name! If you let me know when you're open I'll be sure and visit. Hey, if you want to see the Rivership coming home tomorrow, I'll be sure to get you a spot with a good view! The Iskast is a beauty and the captain usually puts on a bit of a show."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:43 pm

"Now, why don't you take your fancy clothes back across the river where you belong and leave us to sort this lad out in peace."
"There's no need to be cold. I have no intention of disrupting your work. I would take interest in learning of these... Not-ghouls, though."

Persuasion: 12
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:46 pm

"We've a lot of work to do, but that does sound interesting, what time of day would that be?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:49 pm

The man turns back to Mehriv and replies:
"It's nothing to worry yourself with stranger, they take no interest in the living."

------------------------------

The dragonborn guard says "They should be coming in just after dawn to make the morning market."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:52 pm

"Thank you my friend, I'll make it if I'm able. I hope the rest of your shift passes pleasantly, it was good to meet you.... ?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:58 pm

"Oh! I'm Thaqorel, it's been a pleasure chatting with you."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:00 pm

"This guy looks like he'a been in a fight. I'd think it would be best if we are able to find the person whom did this or we'd be worried about people attemting to attack people whom they think are weak."
Persuasion: 1D20+4 = [19]+4 = 23

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:06 pm

((Who are you talking to burns?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:07 pm

"Thaqorel. Thank you again! If you don't mind... what would be the quickest way to Pelor's?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Syli contemplates the ferryman for a while. It wasn't often she saw one of his kind around, at least not back home...

Species Determination & Facts (Nature +3): 22

((It's important to know what species is acting rude to you, after all :lol: ))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Thaqorel: "Just cross the river here and go all the way back the direction you came. The main road goes right up to it, and if you get lost just look for the giant golden domed roof. It's quite easy to spot!"

-------------------------

Syli recognises the ferryman as a bugbear.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:48 pm

thinkslogically wrote:((Who are you talking to burns?))
errr the grumpy dwarf

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:16 am

Kal ponders what might make an entire river become acidic.
► Show Spoiler
But it's not exactly his area of expertise.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:42 am

"It's nothing to worry yourself with stranger, they take no interest in the living."
"Then I shall trouble you no longer. Girl, try not to be too much of a nuisance to the locals."

Mehr heads down to the shop and makes sure the wood's all safely in place.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:38 am

Darr├╝k ponders about the tattoo, History first, then religion: 1D20+2 = [19]+2 = 21
1D20+2 = [6]+2 = 8

Thinking of the tattooing practice back home, he does not think that's "just a tattoo"
He also examines the face of the man Medicine : 1D20+2 = [8]+2 = 10+1 =11*
Of the grumpy man gets annoyed he will tell him of "Well, if tha guards ain't paying no interest an' ya lots clearly don't care either since he's all laying here for the rats, then I'll take interest as a dwarf o' faith an' recently also inhabitant o' this fine city, excuse me!" Persuasion : 1D20+1 = [3]+1 = 4

Okaaaay.... To repeat after the guy who's speech pattern is now in my head "I should not have sid that"

*forgot my medicine is 3 not 2
-Best regards LAYF

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:24 am

"Alright, thanks again!"

I'll cross the river and head in the direction he indicated. As we go, I'm keeping an eye out for a certain shop of heard was in this part of town.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:08 pm

((The grumpy moustached man is just a normal human, not a dwarf))

"This guy looks like he'a been in a fight. I'd think it would be best if we are able to find the person whom did this or we'd be worried about people attemting to attack people whom they think are weak."
"Hmph... All right. He just looks like a drunk who hit the kerb with his face to me, but if you want to check him over you can do it in my shop. The middle of the street is a poor place for this."

Darruk contemplates the tattoo while the butcher's boy wraps the body up and hauls him towards a nearby shop. He doesn't recognise it as a religious symbol, or one of any particular historical importance as far as he can remember. Such a large and prominent tattoo must surely have had an important meaning though and he wonders if it was just of personal significance to the man or perhaps the mark of a larger organisation or gang.

The man looks like his injuries were made by some kind of blunt, straight object, but he can't tell much more than that.

If Darruk and Gwen want to continue their investigations, they may follow the butcher inside and examine the body with bit more privacy.

Mehriv heads back to his shop and hauls the timber inside ready to start repairs. Everything seems to be in order and the young girl beams up at him, looking quite pleased with herself.

"You ever need any more work done mister, we'll be happy to do it! We can do messages and shopping and pixie-catching and all kinds of useful stuff! Just you ask and we can do it! We have very reasonbul costs!

With that, she scampers off with her brother. Mehriv strongly suspects they're going straight back to see the corpse.

-------------------

Kal and Korrik cross the river and continue their journey. Kal wonders what kind of thing might be able to turn a whole river acidic, but he's never heard of such a thing before. It doesn't sound particularly natural, but the world is a large and strange place and he's feeling a little overwhelmed already! Whatever it is must be pretty big, but whether it's caused by the jungle, the earth itself or some form of magic is beyond his ability to guess. Maybe he'll be able to find someone in town who knows more.

Continuing their walk, this area of the river is much more open, with large, fenced orchards and plantations occupying the low-lying ground where the forests have been cleared away. After about half a mile, the ground to their right begins to rise up away from the riverside path and eventually becoming quite steep. At the top of the hill above them, they can see the walls and red roofs of small merchant houses built right up to the edge of the short cliff. The path is almost deserted and they don't meet anyone else as they hurry along, though the heat is stifling and the air feels incredibly muggy.

Eventually, the path widens into a cobbled road and reaches a junction after a little way. Ahead of them, the road leads to a ferry port and the docks beyond it, while up to the right it winds its way uphill as a wide stone road. There are more people here now, but everyone seems to be in a hurry to get somewhere. Small cafes line the streets here and there are a variety of shops, all of which seem to be catering to a wealthier clientele than those around the Market Square. Korrik keeps his eyes open, spying several upmarket shops offering fine jewelry, exotic and domestic animals, various works of art and antiques, a shop offering intricately carved sculptures, and a very upmarket tailors. The people here are well-dressed and there is a notable guard presence here compared to the other side of the river.

A sudden clap of thunder sends the last few pedestrians scattering for shelter. You guess that the temple to Pelor must be no more than half a mile away up the hill, but the rain has beaten you there as heavy drops spatter from the sky.

-------------------------------------

Syli, you are welcome to do more stuff on the boat if you like, but if you're ready to just disembark, you will reach the far side of the river about a hour and a half before Kal and Korrik get there. When you get off the ferry, you will find yourself on a road which leads to your left towards the docks, straight ahead and uphill towards the merchants quarter and temple district or right along the river.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Darr├╝k gestures to Gwen and wisphers"The man was hit by something, A'll look a bit more into it..." the streigthens up, and speaks in a normal voice "Oi sir butcher, if ya don't mind, A'd like to follow with ya, take a better look at it... Gwen, do ya wish ta come with?"
-Best regards LAYF

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:21 pm

Gwen nods and follows the butcher, not wanting to touch the body. She covers the corpse wit another box if the kids come back before they finish relocating it

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:51 pm

(It's already been wrapped in a sheet, Burns.)

With a sigh, Mehriv sets to pulling up the boards which have to be replaced, muttering to himself about useless employees ignoring work.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:56 pm

I look around for a likely place to wait out the rain, still hoping to spot the Esta's shop that Hob had informed me was in the Temple District.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:13 pm

Syli mostly keeps to herself on the ferry ride over. Cramped quarters like this were ideal for pickpocketing, but she imagined Mehriv might have something to say about it if the guard came knocking on his doorstep. Disembarking with the others when the ferry arrived, she made a beeline for the merchant's quarter, her search for a library commencing.

Perception (+5): 12

((Yeah, the only thing I could think Syli might try on the boat was to try and snag someone's purse, but at the moment, she's trying to stay on the right side of the law. Somewhat.))

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:27 pm

Seeing as Gwen follows, Darr├╝k starts small talking to the butcher. While also helping in carrying the body inside. During the talk he mentions the tattoo, "... So, any ways my question is, that tattoo this man has, it's different from what I've seen I'm my small town upbringing... Is that common here?.."
-Best regards LAYF