The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by WearsHats » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:33 am

"Then it seems we may be here for the same reason. Someone attacked a barge and kidnapped some city folk. We came looking for them and encountered the lizardfolk. They had some odd markings and spoke of a strange new deity. It seemed like it might be connected to the feywilds near here, but it's hard to be sure. "

(Is that a fair summary of what Kal likely knows at this point? Is any of that wrong or stuff he shouldn't know IC? Did my best to remember, but not up to combing back through.)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:01 am

Varsk's mouth twists a little at the abomination but shrugs. It'd probably keep the cat away, at least if it has any choice of what it can eat. Whispering:

"Thanks."

Varsk then, finally, takes a good look around while listening intently.

Perception: 21

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:57 am

WearsHats wrote:"Then it seems we may be here for the same reason. Someone attacked a barge and kidnapped some city folk. We came looking for them and encountered the lizardfolk. They had some odd markings and spoke of a strange new deity. It seemed like it might be connected to the feywilds near here, but it's hard to be sure. "

(Is that a fair summary of what Kal likely knows at this point? Is any of that wrong or stuff he shouldn't know IC? Did my best to remember, but not up to combing back through.)
"Hmm... I would be surprised if this was anything to do with the Fey, but you can never really put anything past them. This just... well it just doesn't seem like their style unless they're setting up an elaborate joke. Still, I shall look into it if I can. This news of a new deity is strange to me too. I have heard similar rumours, but they speak of a "new power" rising, or the coming of a "great leader". All the tribes seem to have heard a similar story from their soothsayers, but none are quite the same in the details. I suspect there's not a grain of truth in any of it, but if it's making them dangerous to the civilised races, then we have a problem to deal with whatever their motivations may be."

--------------------------------------------------------------

In the tree, Gwen wakes up just long enough to cast some illusions then dozes off again.

Varsk and Syli are alert and awake though, and both spot a slow movement about 30 feet away in a tree to their right. A large, black cat is lying sprawled along a tree branch, momentarily raising its head to sniff in the direction of the illusion. It watches for a moment, then turns and stares directly at Syli who can't help but shiver.

Slowly, the great panther rises to its paws and melts down the trunk of the tree. With a brief backwards glance, it moves off into the forest towards the south-west.

Gwen snores gently.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:14 am

Varsk shakes his head slowly as he watches the terrifyingly close panther wander off.

He waits a few minutes before whispering to Syli,

"I'm gonna try and sleep... Try and give a shout before that thing swallows ya whole."

He will then drift in a fitful sleep.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:54 pm

Varsk drifts off to sleep near Gwen, and Syli takes over the watch.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:28 pm

"..."

Syli simply stares at where the panther had disappeared into the darkness for a few moments. She had known that the creature had been close, been it was still a shock to see how close by it actually was. If it had actually been interest in attacking... But that wasn't the only thing on her mind. For the briefest moment, when the creature locked eyes with her...

That couldn't have been her...

...could it?

No, that was just crazy... She shook her head, trying to mentally kick herself back into her watch. Her thoughts had already been on the gnome. It was happenstance that creature had shown up tonight, the same night she had been thinking about it. She was making a connection that didn't exist.

But as she continued her watch, her mind couldn't help but churn the possibility over... that maybe, somehow... they had just run into her again.

--Arcana (+3): 23 [CRIT!]
((Check against whether that might've been the gnome in wildshape, and whether she might've survived her ordeal with druidic magic))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:23 am

Syli ponders her idea, and the more she thinks about it, the more she's sure that panther she saw was a wildshaped druid. ...but something doesn't add up about it being the gnome. Dying is a natural part of life after all, and there isn't any druidic magic she can think of that would work against the natural order like that.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:42 am

((Ok, assuming there's no more for this set of watches, well move on again))

Syli's watch passes as quietly as the last and eventually she wakes Gwen to take her turn on duty. ((Perception please))

Back in the shelter, Kal finishes his watch in peace and then rouses Korrik. The newcomer has started humming quietly again.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:05 am

As Kal shakes me awake, there is a humming coming from the darkness, "Kal... what's making that humming sound? Are the bugs back?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:25 am

"Forgive the intrusion, your companions have been kind enough to let me shelter with you tonight. I hope it is obvious by now that I intend you no trouble!"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:26 am

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:31 am

"Unless you're a talking bug, I'm gonna guess you're who the pack belongs to? I'm Korrik, by the way."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:49 am

spiderwrangler wrote:"Unless you're a talking bug, I'm gonna guess you're who the pack belongs to? I'm Korrik, by the way."
"A pleasure! I am Artho, and that is indeed my pack. If you require food or water from it, please help yourselves. Travelers need to look out for one another in the wild places of the world.

...Is this the first time you have ventured through the Gors Wyd?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:53 am

"Thanks for the offer! Who is the Gore? I'm gonna say that yes, this is my first time."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:03 am

"Oh! Forgive me, I am not sure what your people call it now, but it is the name the Old Folk gave this place long ago. I believe it approximately translates to the "Glass Marsh", but that does not quite do the words justice"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:13 am

"Glass Marsh... what does the glass part refer to? Who are the Old Folk?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:00 am

"Oh! They are the names the... Elves I think you call them? They are the names the elves give this place and to themselves."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:04 am

"Oh... ok. Speaking of glass, what's in that vial?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:27 am

There's a pause.

"Which vial do you mean?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:32 am

"The one in your pack. I put it all back, but had a look through it when we found this place, didn't know who it belonged to. I was sort of hoping it belonged to one of the folks we're out here looking for, but I'm supposing that's not you or Kal would have introduced us."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:41 am

"Oh, that... I am not sure yet."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:51 am

"Oh, ok. Sort of looked a bit like blood, but I didn't want to mess with it."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:50 pm

"Oh! Yes, that is certainly wise. I collected that particular vial off someone who I believe was running messages between the lizard's encampment and some other location. She was fast and extremely effective at covering her tracks, which unfortunately forced me to take her down before I could find where she was running to. I have no idea what the contents of the vial contain, but you're welcome to examine it or take a sample if you think it would help in your investigations. I suspect you are correct about it being blood, but its importance and source are a mystery to me!"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:58 pm

"Hmm, some of the others are more magically or medically inclined, perhaps they can take a look in the morning. I don't think I'd be able to see much of anything useful until then!"

As the dawn breaks (unless you have something else happening), "Oh, hi! Didn't think you were some sort of friendly monster, Kal potentially would have mentioned that, but glad to put a face to the voice."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:06 pm

With nothing more to talk about, Korrik and the stranger lapse into a comfortable silence and the rest of the night passes quietly. The group begins to stir a little before dawn and you awaken feeling fully rested and refreshed ((You have gained the benefits of a long rest)).

Korrik greets the stranger properly. As the sun rises, the group can see that he is a slight-framed half-elf with tanned, but slightly green complexion. He is wearing dark, soft leathers that have been marked in some way that makes them just slightly difficult to focus your attention on. He is otherwise dressed in long, dark sleeves and wears a pair of soft leather boots. A longbow, quiver and a long, sheathed hunting knife lie on the ground next to where he is sitting.

He nods to the group in friendly greeting and begins to gather his belongings.

---------------------------------------------

Gwen's watch passes uneventfully. Varsk and Syli stir around dawn, and you all feel refreshed and rested (despite some vague bad dreams for Gwen). You have all gained the benefit of a long rest.