The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:32 pm

Korrik subtly tries to collect the shiny thing, but his sly attempt is somewhat thwarted by rigor mortis and he is forced to pry the hand open with both of his to retrieve the shiny thing. He glances at it briefly before putting it quietly in his pocket. It appears to be a small gold coin, but much smaller than a normal gold piece.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:45 pm

"Let's go Kal. If he's still here when we return, we can alert the watch." I'll head off for the Temple district, once we are a few blocks away, if we are in a low traffic area, I'll pull the coin out and have a look at it.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:16 pm

Korrik pulls a reluctant Kal away from the body and they head uphill again towards where they saw the temple dome earlier. Once they are out of the way a bit, Kal mutters a prayer for the poor dead man, and Korrik checks his new treasure piece. It is engraved with the symbol of a dragon's head on one side and a large tree (like an oak) on the other. It is unlike anything he's seen before.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:26 pm

I tuck it away for now, engaging in small talk with Kal, asking what insignia would denote a temple of his god, etc. on our way.

((Essentially, looking to get him to his faith's temple, then slip away while he's reconnoitering with the priesthood to meet up with my contact's contact.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:19 pm

((Ok cool. I'll wait for an action from Syli then you guys should all be more or less back on the same time frame))

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:35 pm

Syli quickly heads for the chandlery and steps inside, giving only a passing glance at the other merchandise before looking for a proprietor.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:53 pm

Syli makes a beeline for the Chandlers and heads inside. The shop contains a general assortment of wet-weather clothing, maritime equipment, barrels of caulk, more rope that she can quite get her head around and plenty of useful tools, hooks, lanterns and the like. Stepping up to the counter, she approaches an enormous, black-haired dwarf who is standing behind the desk with his arms folded across his chest. His hair is waxed and tied behind his head in a thick plait and his beard is braided into three long strands. He wears a light cotton shirt, and wears an amulet around his neck that you recognise as bearing Melora's symbol. He says absolutely nothing, but simply watches her approach.
► Show Spoiler
Korrik chats to Kal about Pelor for a bit as they walk. Cresting the top of the hill, the pair catch a glimpse of the gold dome of the Temple of Pelor rising up over the red-tiled homes of the Merchant's Quarter, all on the other side of the river. From here, they can see an old swing-bridge spanning the river a couple of miles upstream to the east, and spot the river ferry just a little way to the west of them*. Kal also remembers that Bren mentioned there was a shrine to Pelor on this side of the river somewhere within a mile of the Town Square, and that Sam would be able to take them there if they wanted to visit (or they could just ask someone).

The others arrive at the General Store and set about collecting the rest of their lumber.

----------------------------

*oops - I got muddled up over where the Temple District was in relation to you guys. Sorry about that! It won't matter in terms of time if you want to head over there, but there is definitely a river in the way.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:08 pm

Weighing our choices, I opt for the bridge... while some charge tolls, almost every ferry charges for their services.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:20 pm

OK, that'll obviously be a longer walk to go all the way around (probably 4-5 miles each way), but you've got most of the afternoon to get over there and it'll totally get you out of fixing up the new store :lol:

FYI - Syli's Urchin background gets her + any companions double movement speed in cities. Obviously you don't know where she is right now, but it might be useful in future.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Gwen continues to be bored with boards

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:26 pm

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:31 pm

"Afternoon," Syli says to the dwarf as she approaches. "I'm a bit new to the area, and I was wondering if you might have some maps of the local area I could look over." As she states this, she leans against the counter, seemingly unconcerned with the dwarf's imposing stature.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:46 pm

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Syli walks up to the dwarf and asks about maps, determined not to be intimidated by the man.

"Who's asking? I've no interest in throwing decent stuff away on some tenderfoot who'll get themselves lost with it."

Korrik and Kal begin the long walk towards the swing bridge.

What route would you like to aim for? You can head straight to the river and walk along the bank or try and weave your way through the city streets. Make your choice, and then I'll take an Intelligence check to see how well you navigate.

The others trundle back up the hill towards the store. As they drag their heavy goods along they hear a horrified scream from somewhere ahead!

--------------------------------------
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:14 pm

Gwen drops the boards and runs to where the scream came from to see what is going on.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:17 pm

Mehr grumbles as he does his best to collect the dropped boards, making use of Mage Hand to support a little of the weight, and picks up the pace as much as he can under the burder, unwilling to leave his load behind. It was a scream of horror, rather than terror, so there's no immediate danger to the one screaming.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:20 pm

((Head towards the river and walk along whatever roadway parallels it, using it as a guide.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:58 pm

Cool, that should be easy enough to find but give me an INT check anyway.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:03 pm

((Korrik kind of has me worried as he's not really had bad rolls yet...))

Intelligence Check: Where is the bridge?: 1D20 = [16] = 16
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:17 pm

"I'm asking, as a recently hired guide to the local wilderness. Despite never actually having been in this area before, and them knowing as such. No, don't ask how that's supposed to work, 'cause I don't have a clue myself." Syli replies cynically. "Anyway, I figure it's only a matter of time before they decide to head out into the woods for something or another, and I'd like to have at least some idea of where we're going when we do. And if it's losing your wares you're concerned about, I get it. But even if it's too risky to outright sell me one, if I could at least look one over, that in itself would be very helpful."
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:32 pm

((Syli - Let's have a Diplomacy check please :)))

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:42 pm

Persuasion: Crit-Fail

((Korrik, I mostly just think you're getting my luck. :lol: ))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:12 pm

Korrik and Kal hurry downhill, with Korrik picking a slightly different route to the river that seems to save them a bit of time. Now that they've reached the river, the crowds have swelled again as the crews of a dozen boats race to spend their wages. Rowdy drunk sailors spill from the doorways of the bars, to be manhandled on their way by bouncers, while more street traders mill about the crowd selling "revitalising tonics" and stodgy cakes. People float around the river here in small canoes and rafts and you spot more than a few people daring each other to leap into the water.

As they continue onwards away from the docks, they gradually leave the most lively bars behind and enter what appears to be a more upmarket part of the town. Guardsmen patrol in pairs and they realise that these are the first guards you've really seen in the city besides the two reluctant "detectives" forced into studying the pickpocketing earlier in the day. The buildings are less squashed together here and you spot small gardens and green spaces as you walk. Surprisingly, you appear to have left most of the boats behind you, and estimate that you should probably be about three quarters of the way to your bridge by now.

Let's have a perception check please, as well as rolls for anything else you fancy doing while you walk

Gwen drops her lumber and rushes up the street away from the others, as a metal washbasin merrily clatters past on its way to freedom. As she reaches the end of their street, she finds a washerwoman sobbing with her face in her hands, fully turned away from the apparently deceased drunk. A long bruise runs down the side of his broken face to his shattered mouth which is little more now than a soup of congealed blood and flies. The man's shirt twitches and a foul smell emanates from the body.

Mehriv tuts loudly and attempts to make up for Gwen having abandoned her load, but the planks are heavy and unwieldy.

"Hey Mister! You want help? Giv's a copper and me and my bruv'll carry them stuff for you."

Syli's explanation is not convincing and the dwarf snorts.

"No. This isn't a library."

---------------------------------------------------

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:44 pm

"I'm... I'm sorry. I thought....I thought he was only drunk." Gwen looks uncomfortable, not sure what to do.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:14 pm

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler