The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:36 am

"Nice and vague. Great. Don't really know what I was expectin'."

Varsk puts some space between himself and the loon in case he gets huggy again.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:08 am

Syli nods in agreement with moving closer to the treeline, not being particularly interested in continued exposure to the acidic fumes.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:15 am

"Well, I'm sorry I forgot to anticipate this question when I got here and didn't check my wooden bowl."

As to compensate Merric will take out his wooden bowl and fiddle around with it and pretend it is a sextant before packing it away.

"Ahh I see it clearly now, it must have been right between toolose and.. I must consult something else to confirm.."

Merric takes out a waterskin, performs a couple of precise pokes before seemingly listening to it.

"Ahh yes, between toolose and mapless.."

Merric decides to end the conversation and start a new one with the supposed dragonborn leader.

"So are you guys bounty hunters or something since you are trailing people?"
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:41 am

((I'm assuming that the consensus is to take the extra time and travel more slowly along the edge of the forest?))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:17 pm

((Ya, I think so. No one has opposed it at least))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:04 pm

The party take a little time to make their decisions, and decide that staying away from the river is going to be their best choice for now. Hopefully it's also a good choice for the Morley family...

As the party climb down from the bridge on the eastern riverbank and move onwards, they hear six short and one long horn blasts coming from the direction of the bridge behind them. There is a single answering call from somewhere deeper in the trees to the southeast, then silence.

-------------------------------

The group move on, keeping to the edge of the forest and away from the river fumes. No-one feels much better for the extra distance (though at least you don't feel worse!), and you are forced to slow down your pace considerably as you pick your way over hidden tree roots and through soft ground.

The rain comes and goes, and by the end of the day you are hotter and sweatier and more scratched up than you've been from walking along the riverbank, but there are at least no more snakes or giant lizards.

I'll take a survival roll for making camp, as well as anything else you want to do today.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:03 pm

Gwen helps set up camp and then goes out to search for food (outlander feature)
Surv: 1D20+3 = [6]+3 = 9

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:32 pm

Hmm. If it's not helping too much and the others are catching up, maybe we should go back to the river after all?

Survival: 1D20+3 = [10]+3 = 13
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:50 pm

"These roots are a lot to climb over..." ((I'm ok to keep pressing on closer to the river, but I don't have metal stuff that's being affected.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:45 am

Those horns aren't others catching up. It's the lizards hunting us. If we want to travel closer to the river I can agree, Mehr will just need to tuck his signet ring away somewhere safe.

Anyway, making camp. Survival: 5 "The lizards are hunting us. Everyone has to keep a wary eye out."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:58 am

Merric will do what he can to help prepare the camp, granted he doesn't have much to do with and makes the best of what nature is willing to give him.

"Should we have tampered with the bridge since you are being followed?"

Merric survival: 1D20-1 = [13]-1 = 12
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:54 am

Syli watches the others for a moment and their efforts to set up a rudimentary camp, before deciding to show the others how it's really done.

Survival (+3): CRIT! (23)

"Need to be careful on watch. If they know we're out here, and lets face it, they do, we don't know how long we have before they try something."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:20 am

To Merric "Absolutely not. It doesn't matter if they are, they should not be put at rosk somce they are not aiming to kill us."

To Syli "Hmm...We have 7 people...We will have to have a single person guarding at a watch, while the rest we can do with two people. So the person with the best vision would have to be alone."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:40 am

"Or we can have groups of two and one of three."

Also, what should I be rolling to check whether Mehr knows the basics of ambushing a camp? Like say the attack will most likely come at dusk or dawn, if the lizards are smart.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:54 am

I'll take individual survival and int checks for working out where you might be attacked from I guess. If you can suggest something else that's justifiable though, I'll consider it :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:59 am

I'm mostly just happy to stop for the evening. All those roots and mud are tiring on someone with short legs.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:11 am

Survival: 10, Intelligence: 7
Clearly Mehr is very tired and good at nothing right now.
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:14 am

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:00 am

Varsk is momentarily distracted by an interesting tree trunk that reminds him of a bawdy song... But quickly spots... Things?

Not sure what to make of these rolls together-

Int 1d20+3= 4
Survival 1d20+2= 21

Rolls
Last edited by Rodgeir on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:02 am

((I'll work it out :) probably won't get a chance to update before tonight, but I'll resolve all the camp-based stuff then)).

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:13 am

Merric is too busy "communing" with a pool of water to really realise anything of interest is happening. Before going to sleep though, he will pour a bowl of sea water and stick his head into it, before putting it back in its container.

Rolled perception for my eventual guard duty

Merric survival: 1D20-1 = [3]-1 = 2
Merric int: 1D20+1 = [2]+1 = 3
Merric perception: 1D20+1 = [7]+1 = 8
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:38 pm

Hmm... Actually, for my crit, could Syli set up somewhere that'd be particularly defensible? A spot that has lots of natural cover, presumably set back into the woods a bit to avoid being out in the open. And perhaps (maybe with an additional roll), she could set up some light fortifications (basically, some piled up bramble/branches/what-have-you) to keep them from picking us off at a distance or easily tromping into camp.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Gwen leads the way to a patch of slightly higher ground just a little way away from the river and most people drop their gear on the ground and begin to set up camp. It's decent, dry ground and it should do quite well. As they begin to unpack their belongings, they hear another single long blast on a horn from somewhere about a hundred feet to the south, but the thick forest gives you no sign of who made the call. It seems that something is keeping an eye on you...

Gwen is perturbed. She doesn't like being on this side of a hunt, and is beginning to feel more exposed than she'd like. This spot is a good place to camp, but not if you're about to be ambushed. The jungle would lend itself very nicely to hit-and-run tactics for those familiar with the forest...

Luckily, Syli and Varsk are already on the case, and go looking for somewhere more protected. As luck would have it, Syli stumbles on a small rocky gully not too far from where Gwen suggested. There's a small crack in the rocks that leads in to a small open area inside a low gully. It's a bit damp, and the little bats that live beneath the overhangs have left a decent layer of guano on the floor, but there is a narrow crack above you that opens to the sky that's well covered over by the branches of trees and bushes overhead. This place is small, but should fit all of you and will be very defensible, especially if you conceal the entrance a bit.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:48 pm

As the party scurries for cover in the gully, I have the nagging feeling like the sound of those horns is familiar...

INT: History: 1D20 = [20] = 20
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:11 pm

Gwen looks over her shoulder constantly once she hears the horn. She tells Merhiv <I think they are watching us.> Gwen looks at thier camp and glad of the cover, but still constantly looking. She whispers: "If one of us stays outside to guard...it should be Korrik, Syli, or me. I don't like this idea but...if we do happen to get caught, I can look like one of them to free you."