The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by WearsHats » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:56 pm

(Waiting for Syli. We're here because she's following something. And she's in a better position to maybe know what we're dealing with and communicate with the things. If that's the approach she wants to take.)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:34 pm

"...that... those are very big lizards."

Having gotten the obvious out of the way, Syli quickly stammers out a quick incantation, before addressing the lizards. "Ah, hello there. Didn't mean to disturb you... looks like you were in quite a nasty fight there!"

As she attempts to move past the initial shock of the giant lizards, she wracks her brain for what they might be, and how best to try and approach the situation to keep it from escalating into a fight.

--Speak With Animals
--Nature (+3): 20

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:58 pm

The lizard closest to the group blinks at Syli's statement and tastes the air again with its tongue.

"Fight for food. Not strong enough to fight feather bears. But we are strong enough to fight you."

Another branch snaps behind the party as a third lizard approaches, tongue flicking in the air and snorting.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:28 pm

"Mmmaybe. It'll probably cost you if you try it, though. You're already injured pretty badly," Syli says, hoping to clue the others in immediately as to what the topic of conversation was. "I'm not particularly interested in a fight myself, though. Not when we could benefit from each other instead."
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:48 pm

Oh hey, look, giant repkull... Speaking of which, I need to update when I get home tomorrow. Someone remind me.

Mehr snorts at Kal's comment, "These are at best sub-dragons, lacking the ability to comprehend the Tongue. Watch."
Switching to draconian, Mehr speaks a little louder, in a hissing and clicking tongue <The mid-kin know kin-gifted not to be prey.>

"A meaningless statement, really, to imply that dragonkin should not prey upon those gifted with the Dragons' lineage, since we are beneath the notice of the Dragons, but it serves to show they will not understand. Still, even sub-dragons are dangerous... I hope Korrik didn't run straight into the one behind us, or he is as good as dead."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:16 am

((Did I?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:01 am

From Syli's words decides Varsk will help show how much it will cost them. He will shift his footing to face the presumably much closer lizard that emerged behind him while slide the crossbow into a pocket/pouch (?) and slowly draw his greatsword. He will scan the new comer lizards for any apparent damage or weakness that would indicate where he should strike/how he should dodge.

Edit: Varsk will also consider if they look fast.

(Again perception if needed: 1d20+4=23)
Last edited by Rodgeir on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:12 am

spiderwrangler wrote:((Did I?))
No, the third creature is behind the group as they face the pond. The exit path is still clear of lizards.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:30 am

So the exit is... Not behind us?
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:54 am

Also confused as to the Lizard locations. I have the river (and exit) behind us, the pool in the middle and forest on the other side. Two lizards on the far side of the pool and one lizard...somewhere behind us but not in the path of the exit? In my mind's eye I have Varsk standing in or very near the trail leading back to the river so anything behind him would be blocking the (easy) exit.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:48 am

Ah sorry, my bad. Lets just move the lizard from behind you, to the far right side of the pool. The other two lizards are to the far left of the pool. That's the layout I was intending to describe. I'll see if I have time later to get you a rough map, but the important thing to clarify is that these things are all roughly 40-50 feet from you and your exit is not blocked.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:47 am

((Did my nature check turn up anything?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:39 am

((I'd be keeping the party in sight, but how ever far down that would be.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:01 am

Gotcha. Korrik wouldnt have gone super far then - probably only 100 feet at most before the forest would have hidden the group from view.

Syli's nature check got her a (civil) reply.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:29 pm

To Syli and the rest of the group, "These things want to eat us, right? Seems like we can make a deal. How much snake meat did we harvest?"

((And since I will probably be asleep for the next step of this encounter I will give a couple of actions depending on the outcome of Syli's negotiations.
-Lizards agree to a trade, Varsk will dump all the gathered snake me he has and move out as quickly as possible
-Lizards (or other things) attack, Varsk will defend Int: 9. Based on thgat roll Varsk will most like not being going first.
-If neither happens Varsk will stay put for the time being unless everyone makes a break for it. Then he shows them how fast his long legs can be.))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:28 pm

((I'm crashed hard, trying to recover from the trip. Not so much with the brain. And it seems like we're waiting on the lizards to respond to Syli. She makes a good point that they're already injured and we'll put up a fight. I suppose we could offer to heal them, but I don't think that's a great idea on several counts. So we'll see if they're willing to leave us alone, and how they respond to the idea of cooperation. Hopefully before the owlbears descend upon us.))
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:04 pm

((I think an intimidation check is probably appropriate for Varsk under the circumstances, and let's have a persuasion check from Syli if you're opening negotiations))

The lizards don't respond to Mehriv and give no indication that they understand him.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:08 pm

Syli Persuasion (+0): 12

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:47 pm

Rolling for Varsk:
Intimidation: 1D20+4 = [6]+4 = 10

The lizards snort some more as a fourth wanders out of the trees behind the one on the right, and replies in a deep, reverberating rumble.

"Benefits...? You are food. You feed us. Nothing else."

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:30 pm

Syli was starting to see the writing on the wall here as a forth lizard showed up. She wasn't quite ready to give up, but as she waved her hand behind her back at the others, she hoped they got the message that they needed to get out of there now. "Only for the shortsighted. Haven't you wondered how it is that I'm speaking to you now? I am capable of other things as well."

Mostly, she was hoping the lizards kept their attention on her. And that the rest of the group could figure out they needed to leave.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:01 pm

((It was meant to be a initiative roll but I see that I missed the i in there and it became an int roll! Didn't matter anyways))

As the fourth lizard stomps into the area around the pool, and his meat suggestion not seeming to have worked, Varsk glances at the others in the group (excepting Korrik who had the good sense to run) to try and get a read on their plans. He tries to subtly indicate they should leave with the tried and true method of jerking his head towards the exit. If that doesn't appear to be an option Varsk will say as evenly as possible,

"If we all target one or maybe two with our ranged attacks right now we can maybe drop them before they can get around the pool." He will scan the assembled lizards. "The one furthest to the right and then the one next to it, in that order."

And since he only knows half of the negotiation he will ask Syli for confirmation, "Let us know here if that is what we should do..."

((This would get us a surprise round, right?))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:15 am

Nah, surprise really requires stealth. These things are watching you closely and would just respond as normal if you tried to kick off. Korrik could potentially get himself a surprise round because he is hiding (depending on the lizards passive perception), but otherwise, nah. You're facing off. There's no surprise here)).

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:17 am

((Can I see any of the lizards from where I am?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:22 am

Not really, no. You've just kept the party in view at the edge of the trail, but the trees are too dense to see the lizards at their distance.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:36 am

Gwen starts backing up away from the lizards, still ready to fire on them.