Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Dlover » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:01 am

"This is probably the best crossing. Any objections?"
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:05 am

"I think here would be the best place to jump cross the river." Gwen rolls up her clothes slightly to not get them too wet and shakily peers the edge of the river, fear is apparent in her eyes. She knows the river isn't as deep as the other one but it feels much deeper, she doesn't want to nearly drown again.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:09 am

((Are you guys going to make any preparations for crossing, or just jump in?))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:17 am

Well, I'd kind of like to make sure those rippling points aren't dangerous, but I can't really just- Wait, I forgot about cantrips. Ray of Frost near the swirling shapes to see if they disperse (Also known as I Attack The River).

... Oh, Korrik will need a lift, too. The river's still deeper than he is tall. Should probably be Mehr to carry him, since he only really needs one hand free if a fight happens Korrik is within his carry weight, surprisingly.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:11 am

Nope. Kal can't think of anything we'd need to worry about before splashing on through.
► Show Spoiler
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:56 am

Varsk glances up the stream towards the jungle, worrying his upper lip with a tusk.

Turning back to the spot straight ahead he'll pick up a rock or anything else handy/heavy on the ground and toss it at the stuff moving in the water. He will repeat until he hits near the shapes. No magic needed.

"Should we cross in pairs?"

Should the group start fording the stream he'll make sure he isn't the first or last.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:03 pm

Syli glances across the stream, before bending down and briefly brushing her hand across the water. Assuming it isn't particularly caustic, she'll top off her waterskin, looking over the deeper waters to pick out any possible hazards to those that might cross.

Syli... [rolls]
...Nature (+3): 12
...Perception (+5): 12

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:05 pm

((I'll take a perception check then please))

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:09 pm

((Yeah, I had rolled perception and nature, but forgot to actually include them in the post. *facepalm* ))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Syli also spots the waving things on the bottom of the river. They do look like weeds, but it's really hard to tell... However, if they are weeds then the current here might be strong enough to push some of the party off their feet. They should probably be careful.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:56 pm

"Hrm... Doff armour before crossing. Falling while you're wearing it could be lethal. My Mage Hand can provide a little support, if we cross one at a time, but not much."
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:04 pm

"Y-you still have your rope? I...I am not taking off my armour with people watching."

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:35 pm

"My armor is not heavy, and I am accustomed to wearing it through the swamp wilds. But if you are concerned about falling, yes, I have my rope. The first person across can secure it on the far side. Or we could loop it around our waists."
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:40 pm

"... Okay, let me clarify for those who have less understanding. Metal armour should be removed."
My game:

My characters:

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:43 pm

"The current looks like it could be pretty quick here, so make sure to keep your footing." Syli ponders for a moment. "If someone has a rope, that'd probably help a lot. It's all well-and-good to doff armor and packs here to get across, but the problem is that we then have to make sure there's some way to get that stuff across. Unless you want to go into lizard territory without armor, of course."

"Hmm..." Syli turns her attention to the trees along the river bank, casting her eyes up at the tree canopy as her mind wanders to other ways across. Those vines might work as rope in a pinch... but it might not even be necessary if the canopy went all the way across...

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:51 pm

((sure - the canopy covers the extent of the river, although the branches in the middle look a little too small to support you; give or take a few feet for the heavier party members))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:52 pm

How close together are the vines that are totally vines and not snakes at all? Would a particularly nimble halfling be able to acrobatically swing from vine to vine across the river?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:01 pm

"I have plenty of rope, and can transport equipment with Mage Hand."
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:04 pm

((a nimble halfling could certainly try! But it would be difficult.))

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:08 pm

Syli ponders the canopy for a moment, a smile pulling at her lips. Perhaps she needn't get wet at all.

Glancing at her distracted companions as they debated their options, Syli quietly slips around one of the trees, finding a particularly large one that looks to suit her purpose. With the eyes of the others off her, she then stares longingly up at the canopy for a moment, contemplating the careful balance necessary to navigate it, the feel of the wood under her claws... right before her form shifts into that of her earlier feline self, as she darts up the tree.

Wildshape: Syli takes the form of a Cat

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:14 pm

"I...would rather someone go ve-before me. Th-the last time I tried crossing a river it...almost ended horribly."
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:14 pm

"Is your mage hand nimble enough to secure the rope around a tree on the far side of the river? Carry one end across, loop it around the trunk, and tie a loose hitch. Tie the other end around a tree here, using a knot we can release from the other side, and we have a guide rope we can all hold as we cross. "

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:15 pm

Syli climbs easily up the tree in her cat form claws digging easily into the bark of the wood as she climbs the trunk and makes her way out onto the stable platform of the lower boughs.

The strange smells and sounds of the forest are almost overwhelmingly distracting as she becomes aware of the myriad small, tasty animals that live nearby, and the not-quite-so-small predators that also live here. It's quite a thrilling experience!

((What colour of cat would Syli become?))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:19 pm

Mehriv fires his ray of frost as the wobbly shapes in the river, which freezes in place for a moment, then seems to thaw quickly and float away downstream. It's still not clear what it was.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:29 pm

"Mehr, I think I can swing across on the vines, would you mind giving them a tug to make sure they are reasonably secure? And not snakes or something like that?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler