Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Dlover » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:09 pm

"No can do. I have to touch the target."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:31 pm

(Would that mosquito grass drive them off? And do we have any?)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:14 pm

WearsHats wrote:(Would that mosquito grass drive them off? And do we have any?)
You'd need to experiment to determine the effect, but thats a smart idea so yeah, it certainly wouldn't hurt :) sadly, you've not gone foraging for any yet.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:43 pm

((It was expensive and I wasn't persuasive enough to get him to let us open up a full company tab.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:57 pm

Gwen fires off a blast of eldritch magic, but she shoots it straight through the middle of the swarm and it dissipates somewhere in the trees.

The stirges swarm into camp, targeting those already on their feet (Varsk (x5) Korrik (x3) and Gwen (x2)):

Only one stirge of five is able to find a tasty spot under Varsk's armour at his neck, but it latches onto his collar tightly with its horrible clawed feet and bites him. Strangely, he hardly feels the bite, but the slight lightheadedness suggests it's doing something! (-5 HP)

Two stirges swoop at Gwen. She dodges one of them easily, but the other ducks around and finds a soft spot on her leg, and stabs it's proboscis through her trousers. She feels it bite, but as for Varsk, there's very little pain (-4 HP).

The remaining three stirges fly at Korrik, who ducks out of the way of one, only to have the other two land on him and bite through his shirt (-9 HP).

Six stirges are currently airborn and flying around the camp in a loose swarm; the other four are attached to Varsk (x1), Gwen (x1) and Korrik (x2). The flying stirges are currently in ranged range, but you can easily get within melee range of all of them if you want to.

Instead of attacking, you can spend your action to remove one stirge from one person.

Attacks made on an attached stirge have disadvantage because of the risk of hurting your colleagues.

Initiative Order
Gwen
Stirges
Varsk <-
Mehriv
Kal
Syli
Korrik
Last edited by thinkslogically on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:18 pm

Dang, this sticking is trouble. I was kinda planning to just use the proper technique for getting rid of bugs and Kill I With Firetm.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:44 pm

Varsk grunts in surprise before reaching up and jerking the giant blood sucker from his neck and throwing it to the ground.
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:06 am

Since Varsk removing the bug on him doesn't change my action, I'll post it now:

Mehr invokes Magic Missile, and directs two missiles to hit one of the bugs on Korrik, while the other targets the second bug on Korrik, spreads the missiles as he feels necessary to kill them, prioritising the ones on Korrik, then the one on Gwen, since there's no worry of hitting friendly targets.

MM Damage: 4, 4, 5

Nature Check: 5
Last edited by Dlover on Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
My game:

My characters:

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:37 am

((Since I'm nocturnal, it's likely that I'll be asleep when my turn comes around. So, assuming I have my prepared spells...))

Kal will stand up and Bless Korrik, Varsk, and himself. (Our three melee fighters, who stand to gain the most from the spell.) For the next 10 rounds (unless my concentration is broken), the three of us get a d4 bonus to all attack rolls and saving throws.

(I do wonder if it's worth looking for the plant in the immediate vicinity, but I don't suppose I'd have much luck by firelight. Wish I'd remembered to look for it earlier. Ah well.)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:39 am

Varsk swats at the stirge on his neck and it leaps into the air, whining noisily over his head.

((Did you want to use that action surge now? If so, go ahead and make another action)).

---------

Mehriv can only see the stirge on Gwen and one of the ones on Korrik from where he is, so he targets his third MM at one in the air. The shots are effective and the creatures collapse dead on the ground.

----------

Kal is on his feet quickly, and casts Bless on Korrik, Varsk and himself. Hopefully this will help!

-------------

Three stirges are dead! One is still attached to Korrik, and six are airborne.
Initiative Order
Gwen
Stirges
Varsk
Mehriv
Kal
Syli. <-
Korrik

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:42 am

Varsk follows the flying beast's path after it breaks free from his neck, clutching his maul tightly, before spinning and slamming it down on another stirge in a massive spray of bug juice.

Action surge: Attack 1d20+2+4 = 26
Damage 4d6+2= 16
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:57 am

Varsk absolutely obliterates the stirge, leaving nothing more on the ground than a stain of bug juice and his own blood that it drained from him.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:20 am

Syli grumbles at having been woken early, her only-partially booted brain trying (and failing) to recall anything relevant about the bite of the Stirge. Trying to keep away from the bulk of the swarm, she fires a burst of poison at one of the outliers.

Syli Nature Check (+3): 9
Syli Poison Spray vs Stirge: 3 damage poison (DC13 ConSave Negates)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:30 am

"Gaaah! Forking bloodsuckers!"

Dropping my quarterstaff, I swipe at the one feeding on me...
► Show Spoiler
Drawing on my desperation, I flail in a flurry of blows at it again... but am used to punching things NOT attached to me...
► Show Spoiler
I try again, with similar results...

The one on me dead, I move to the nearest flier and punch it right in the face.
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:56 am

Syli fires a poison burst at one of the stirges in the air, covering it in a poison goo that sends it's spiraling and twitching to the ground.

Korrik drops his quarterstaff and strikes at the creature attached to him and to another one that comes within reach. Both are thoroughly smooshed under his blows and they tumble to the ground in a heap.

((Back to Gwen))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:01 am

Gwen tries to strike one of the bugs, but it's too fast for her. She curses under her breath.

eldrich blast: 1D20+6 = [7]+6 = 13
1D10 = [1] = 1

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:25 am

Gwen fires another blast at one of the creatures, scoring a glancing strike, but not enough to bring it down...

((Out at the moment, will update when I get back))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:13 pm

The remaining four stirges whine and circle around the party, before all targeting Syli, perhaps hoping for a less aggressive target...

Two of them latch onto her and sink their needle-like proboscises into her flesh and draining her blood (-9 HP). The other two stirges remain flying overhead, unable to find a way to latch on effectively.
------------------------------------

Two stirges are attached to Syli, and two are airborne.
Initiative Order
Gwen
Stirges
Varsk <-
Mehriv
Kal
Syli
Korrik

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:45 pm

Varsk pauses to consider the situation. He could help Syli, and is inclined to do so, but having just witnessed what Mehr can do without risking hurting the victim...

Varsk moves towards one of the unattached stirge and raises the maul to end it but stumbles on some bedding and nearly falls on his face uttering a curse that should have been enough to burn off the stirge's wings.

Attack 1d20+6=7
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:10 pm

Varsk swings wildly, almost overbalancing himself as he throws far too much weight into the swing. Struggling to keep his footing, he loses track of the targeted stirge which merrily zips away, looking for its next target.

--------------------------

Two stirges are attached to Syli, and two are airborne.
Initiative Order
Gwen
Stirges
Varsk
Mehriv <-
Kal
Syli
Korrik

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:57 pm

Mehr conjures a second set of magic missiles, sending them whirling into the bugs. If he can get a line of sight on both the bugs on Syli he'll eliminate them and one of the fliers.

Damage: 2, 3, 5
My game:

My characters:

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:16 pm

Kal takes a swipe at the nearest flying bug.
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:24 am

Mehriv shouts to Syli to stand still, and manages to zap the two stirges off her as well as one in flight. Kal takes care of the last flying one, and the night falls silent again (or at least as silent as a swampy forest ever gets).

What would you like to do now?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:54 am

"Ugh... those things are nearly as big as I am!"

((How far into our shift are we? Also, it would be interesting to me behavioral ecologist to conduct experiments to determine if stirges are attracted or repelled by chemical cues of dead, squished stirges...))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:07 am

((You didn't get too far in before the stirges found you. Maybe an hour max? Does your curiosity mean that you'd like to keep the dead bugs or anything?))