The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:42 am

((to answer another question spider raised: there are only so many places along the river where a ship can dock. This is one of them; the next one is deep inside Ambershard territories where they are actively working, so this is as far as they will willingly take you. They can't (or won't) sail into Morley waters because other families don't know the safe routes through the channels.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:26 pm

"The lodge should provide us for a safe night of sleep at the very least before traversing the woods, it seems like a slight detour."
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:28 pm

((the lodge is 3 days away, and would add a fair amount of time (at least a couple of days but I'll need to work it out) onto your trip (assuming the Morley territory is your destination))

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:33 pm

"Uh- well-" Syli sputters, slightly flatfooted at the sudden turnaround in travel plans. "...er, no, I guess not... I don't really need wol-rthy information," She says, seemingly verbally stumbling and catching herself.

Regardless of which direction they start off in, Syli stays toward the middle of the pack, keeping her sling and her focus near-to-hand on her belt.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:38 pm

Gwen will stay as rear guard, ready to sling spells at enemies.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:48 pm

((yeah, Lover's Pass is just a well-known campground))

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:37 pm

Kal follows the group (particularly their employer/leader) in terms of direction, but will take point once we get moving.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:35 pm

"Hm, then I suggest we head directly for Morley land and stop at Lovers Pass if necessary."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:36 pm

Which route would you like to take? West then south and hope for a crossing, or the more direct route along the river to the east?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:38 pm

(doesn't Gwen's outlander background help with that a little though?)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:01 pm

Hm... The river should be a good landmark to keep us from getting lost, so we should be following it.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:53 pm

Varsk goes with the group, not in the lead or at the tail and trying to be alert to the surroundings. If needed, or asked, he will indicate his preference for a path directly to the Morley lands but not too forcefully - he is still merely just using this group as a shield tagging along until he gets back with his party.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:30 am

The group head off, deciding to follow the river east and hopefully make progress towards the Morley lands as quickly as possible. The ground is rough underfoot, but a rough trail has been trampled through the underbrush which makes the going a bit easier at least. You are clearly not the first people to pass this way recently. The acidic river seems to keep the bank clear of all but the most hardly little plants, and there are only occasional small trees to navigate around. Further back from the bank, the forest gets thicker and the trees are denser and dark.

After a couple of hours walking, you come across a patch of dry-ish ground where someone has apparently trampled down the tall grass to make space for a camp. The remains of a little campfire are scattered around.

This seems like a reasonable enough place to stop for the night (at least at first glance). What would you like to do?

It is around 5pm (sunset is around 6pm).
Last edited by thinkslogically on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:36 am

"We should make camp here. Better to set up camp in a good space before the sun sets than wander on for a short time and set up in an unsuitable area."
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:51 am

In the darker areas, if others are paying attention to her they might notice her eyes are slightly glowing, espessially in the shadows. But seeing she is back of the pack they might notice until she goes to help make shelter for the night. "I agree. We should all have watches as well. We have enough people for at least a person per two hours."

Survival to make shelter: Surv: 1D20+3 = [11]+3 = 14

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:57 am

"Fair enough," Syli replies. She assists Gwen with setting up the shelter.

Syli Survival Assist (+3): 9

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:00 am

Setting up camp is a fairly trivial task- I think you've lived long enough in the wilds that this isn't something you need to roll for (unless there's some reason it would be difficult that I'm missing?)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:32 pm

Varsk isn't really accustom to 'the wilds' but he will watch and help the others setup camp, watching what they do without asking any questions and noting similarities to living on the street of a city but also the differences.

"The attacks have come from both the shores and the water, if I remember correctly. Whoever is on watch needs to be alert to that."

Varsk will scan the river for emphasis and offer to take first watch.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:34 pm

"I'll join the big guy on first watch.", Korrik gets his sleeping area set up before familiarizing himself with the surroundings.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:48 pm

Varsk pauses to consider Korrik, fairly blatantly, after his offer to take watch with him before returning to preparing the camp site and saying,

"Always better with more eyes on lookout."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:58 pm

The half orc is looking at me weird again...

Insight on Half-Orc: 1D20+4 = [15]+4 = 19
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:34 pm

Yes he is...

Rodgeir, can you give Korrik some insight into Varsk's thoughts? A 19 should be a decent read of any surface emotions at least (surprise, anger, joy, racism...).

PS what's your watch order? I'm going to assume you keep the same order every night unless I'm told otherwise, just to keep us moving :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:42 pm

((planning on first or last to watch the shadows take or leave the land.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:45 pm

Kal will take middle watch. He's accustomed to interrupted sleep, knows the beasts and sounds of the wilds, and has good night vision.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:54 pm

Gwen can help with 2nd or 3rd then since she now has uber darkvision.