The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:13 am

((you guys are past this part anyway, but the insight roll would have told Mehriv that this was indeed Gwen, but hidden under some kind of strange illusion or form-changing magic.

Burns: what's the con roll for?))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:15 am

Gwen sighs. "Are you sure that's for the best that I tell them? ...And it's not a demon. That, I know for sure."

(Concentration for holding casting)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:20 am

"Keeping it secret is bad news. Especially with appearance-changing."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:32 am

((Oh, ok - You weren't actually casting a spell though, right? I thought you were just studying the book? Neither of your chosen invocations require concentration...))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:34 am

"The more reason I need to talk to it." Gwen sighs and closes her book under Merhiv's suggestion. She goes to find a place where she can rest.

(I wasn't sure what was going on, I thought it might have been mask of many so I put a oncentration just in case. If it was mask of many did a disguise stuck?)
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:50 am

((It was a partial Mask of Many that Mehriv interrupted, but Gwen wasn't really aware of what it was doing because she doesn't understand the words yet. Any effects ended when she stopped chanting to speak to Mehr.

Regardless, Mask of Many Faces lets you cast Disguise Self at will, but Disguise Self isn't a concentration spell, so you don't need to make checks for it. Once it's cast, it lasts until it ends or you cancel it. You just don't know how to cast it yet :P))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:40 am

Alright, Mehr doesn't need to pursue the point any further right now.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:07 pm

The next few days pass fairly uneventfully for the party, who spend their time mostly practicing and honing their skills for the journey ahead.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

By late afternoon on the third day, Raina gives a shout and the group assembles on deck as she deftly maneuvers the ship alongside a stone pier.

"Well, here we are! If you're looking for a campground for tonight, the Lover's Pass is a couple of hours walk back towards the east. This is as close as we can get I'm afraid. Otherwise, you'll be able to reach Fort Oakwell to the south in a couple of days, or the Direwolf Lodge in about three days depending on how flooded the road is.

So what are your plans? Where are you going to start hunting?"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:21 pm

(Gwen swaped hlish rebuke for comorehend languages and picks up protection from good and evil)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:27 pm

((ok, we'll consider that to have happened as part of all this dream stuff. Do you need components for those?))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:46 pm

(nope! Her crystal necklace is a foci so she doesn't need it! None are by worth)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:48 pm

thinkslogically wrote: He isn't strictly faster now, so much that he has learned how to cover the ground more efficiently. Regardless, at least now he should be able to keep up with the others...
((I am strictly faster, yes? Or that is pending? I was at 25ft previously, and gain +10ft, to put me at 35ft, faster than anyone but Syli as a wood elf.))

I hop off the ship to the stone pier, helping to secure it so the others can disembark.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:32 pm

((yeah, that's bad wording on my part sorry, you are totally faster))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:39 pm

((Ok, that's cool! Yay for not being left behind any more!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:45 pm

Syli stretches as she schleps up to the deck. She had burned off a nice bit of nervous energy in her brief stint as a frantic feline, and seemed almost... relaxed as Raina called them to order. Although at the mention of Direwolf Lodge, she seemed to be more at attention.

"...Er, huh. Knew we were forgetting something. Mehriv, you remembered to bring the plan, right?" Syli smirks at her own rhetorical question. "Anyway, dunno what you guys had planned, but if I remember right... There's only the one main tributary into Morley lands, right? So, assumin' they were attacked on the rivership, the ambushers had to be monitoring the river, and that tributary would make the perfect spot to do it; after all, the Iskat had to go past there no matter what, right?"

"But..." At this, Syli pauses, seeming to try and think something through. "I think we might need more to go on than that. The Direwolf Lodge seems like our best stop first; they could tell us more about where these lizardfolk seem to be attacking the most, probably." She says, seeming eager to get moving.

...maybe a little too eager.

--Syli Bluff (+0): 9
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:12 pm

thinkslogically wrote:
"Well, here we are! If you're looking for a campground for tonight, the Lover's Pass is a couple of hours walk back towards the east. This is as close as we can get I'm afraid. Otherwise, you'll be able to reach Fort Oakwell to the south in a couple of days, or the Direwolf Lodge in about three days depending on how flooded the road is.

So what are your plans? Where are you going to start hunting?"
((Are we assuming we are all privy to the map layout in character? If so, wouldn't that be a few hours WEST to get to Lover's Pass? Direwolf Lodge takes us towards Greyville lands, which we don't have clearance to traverse, though there are Ancient Ruins that look to bridge the flow towards Morely lands. I'm not sure why the ship can't take us around to the southern tributary, unless the Ambershard lands are only accessibly through the delta, though there are presumably mountains or high hills in the North and West of their land to cause the watershed to flow east all the way around, so they presumably must access through the tributary, which would mean going right past Fort Oakwell.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:31 pm

Gwen has an odd glint in her eyes as she looks around the new area, eager to get off. She takes in the new area and looks awaits expectantly to explore. "...The river does seem like a likely place for some to hide out. However, we heard some hunt in the woods as well. And they said they lost a boat a month, didn't they? They would probably more careful, espessially with a child as a hostage. So maybe the people at the lodge might know." Gwen notices the eagerness and some different motivation besides the task at hand in Syli's tone and mannerisums, but ultimatly sees no harm in going.

Insight: 1D20+1 = [20]+1 = 21 (for Syli's deception)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:10 pm

((What's the insight for?))

"Very well. The lodge shall be our destination."
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:13 pm

"Pardon, I'm not sure I'm recalling the direction of stuff quite right, but doesn't that lead us right into another family's lands? The fort would get us closer, but do you know if they have a way of crossing the river?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:22 pm

"Well yeah, but don't we have free access? Isn't that what that little piece of paper's all about?"
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:33 pm

"Ah, well... to be honest, I kind of tuned out... not big on permits, but as long as you and Mehr have things squared away, I'm good to go."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:49 pm

((yeah I screwed up the east and west but yeah, you all saw that map in the meeting so I assume someone remembers it :)))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:22 am

Varsk climbs off the boat and looks around before thanking Raina and eyeing Gwen a bit.

"Seems the lodge is a reasonable enough destination, if we can get over the river, though the fort seems faster. My party should be at the entrance to the Morley's holdin's. I have my writ of passage."

Varsk orients himself towards the lodge and starts moving slowly that direction from the pier, gear strapped to his back. At the end of the pier he will scan the terrain around the road and the quality/type of road.

(Let me know if I need some rolls)
Last edited by Rodgeir on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:23 am

Raina nods:
"I would think that heading for the Morley rivers directly would give you the best chance of finding any traces of the missing family quickly, and before anything worse happens to them. The Lodge may be able to help you with information though, that's certainly true, but they'll likely be interested in these bounties themselves so don't trust everything you hear from them. They're also a long way out of the way of the Morley lands... it's a good place to find refuge if you need it out here, but I'm not sure that's what you or the Morleys need right now. Still, I'm sure you know your business, and it's not my place to say what you should do out here save to stay alive.

There is a river crossing there (she point about 100m upstream), that joins the road from Lover's Pass towards the Lodge, and travellers usually keep the other bridges fairly well maintained for the most part. Folk do move the bridges around a bit though, so you might need to follow the river for a while before you find one.

Whatever you do, I wish you luck! We'd better be moving on before it gets dark."

The party disembark on the west side of the river (basically at the bridge marked in the map) and Raina waves as she steers the ship away to the east. About 100m away, above your heads, a sturdy-looking rope bridge hangs between two large trees over the river. The trail you're on leads to Lover's Pass in the west, or across the river and on to the Direwolf Lodge, 2-3 days to the east of you. The Morley waters start somewhere to the southeast of you.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:35 am

Varsk looks at the banks of the river and tries to estimate how hard it would be to travel south along it to get to the Morley territory directly.

"Raina is right. My team, and more importantly the bounty, is that way."
Gesturing south along the river bank.

"Do you actually need anythin' from the lodge or the fort?"