The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by WearsHats » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:12 am

Kal signs: "I, Kal Galad, acolyte and paladin of Pelor, hereby bear witness that the gnome woman here described is dead this day [today's date]. [Formal signature]"

He hands the letter to Mehr to sign.

"If there's nothing else..." Assuming there are no objections, he heads up the path to the tree.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:31 am

The half-orc nods and accepts Kal's signature on the document.

"Thank you. The Hunters will hear how you helped us today. I will take the body back to my camp before the rain comes. Frul will know what to do with her. "

With that the half-orc scoops up the body with no effort at all and begins heading back down the trail towards his camp.

Kal sighs and begins to walk towards the gnome's tree.

((Where will the rest of you go?))

--------------

Gwen mentally tells Mehriv she doesn't want to see the half-orc claim the bounty for himself and that they should go and claim it too.

---------------

Korrik swats a mosquito away from his ear as the gnome in the camp wanders away down the path towards the toilet.

He wonders what has happened to the rest of his party then shrugs and goes back to reading the love letters (all of which are in Common).
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by thinkslogically on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Gwen flinches when Syli kicks the gnome, frowning as she leaves but says nothing. Her head held low as she follows Merhiv, not really wanting to follow Syli.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:34 pm

"Irritated though you may be by her stubbornness, Syli, the dead deserve no disrespect."

Mehr waits for the orc to leave before responding to Gwen, "There was no reward for the bounty, it was a task for public safety and job security... On another note, you should calm your mind. You used to be a bounty hunter yourself, why does this event cause you such trouble?"

Mehr follows Kal, "We're heading for the stump? For what cause?"
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:44 pm

"I....normally go out of my way to avoid something like this. I failed to do more to prevent this. And now I am responsible for another death. Death is never easy, no matter what path leds you to it."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:48 pm

"You could not have protected her without leaving her to threaten the safety of others. Focus on that."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:49 pm

"There was much she did not tell us about her purpose. I had hoped to question her. I had not planned on trying to outrace a bounty hunter, nor in her being brought down when it was perfectly clear where we'd be able to find her. But, with her dead, our only chance at finding answers is to search her home. Besides, there may be more to that squirrel of hers than meets the eye. I do not intend to spend hours on this, but I feel it would be remiss to simply walk away. In any case, Syli seems to have had similar thoughts. She's already ahead of us. Might as well give her a hand. "
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Letters carrying little of immediate interest, I fold them up and tuck them in a pocket, returning the arrowhead and parchment to the pouch and doing likewise. I'll make sure to hunker down out of sight and wait for the others to return, keeping an eye on the path.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:45 pm

Syli quietly marches toward the gnome's home tree. Frowning, she mostly seems to just keep her eyes on the path she's following.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:02 am

"I will try." Gwen sighs and nods, following the path back to the gnome, motioning Merhiv to follow.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:09 am

((The gnome has currently wandered off to the toilet area if Korrik wanted to risk trying to put the stuff back? Up to you though - it'd be risky :) ))

------------------------------------

The chase team commiserate the death of the gnome and wonder if there was more they could have done, or if this was simply as inevitable as the half-orc seems to believe. They head up to the hollow tree trunk where the woman had made a den.

((Based on what you've already posted, I'll take perception rolls to look for the squirrel, and investigation rolls to search the tree stump. Syli can have advantage on the investigation roll since she already spotted the gnome looking at part of the ground inside the trunk. If you want to do something different, just let me know.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:52 am

((How long since he went to the toilet area?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:57 am

((As long / little time as you like. You were paying attention to the guy, so if you were waiting on him to leave them you can move as soon after him as you want. ))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:13 am

Gwen, still pretty shaken of what happened barley makes an effort in the search.

per, investigate: 1D20+1 = [1]+1 = 2
1D20-1 = [5]-1 = 4

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:45 am

((If I wasn't still feeling woozy from the snakes I might push it more, but I'm just gonna stay put I think.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:50 am

((Cool))

Korrik stays put in the bushes. After a couple of minutes, the gnome returns from the bushes and rummages around in the orc's pack, pulling out a little food and sitting down next to the cold campfire to eat it.

Shortly after, Korrik is slightly surprised to spot the half-orc appearing about 60 feet away from him on the path. It seems that his vantage point may not have covered quite as much of the path as he thought... The half-orc appears to be carrying a bundle in his arms.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:54 am

((A bundle wrapped in my shirt? >:? Stay put, stay hidden. Once the half-orc reaches camp, I'd like to eavesdrop if I can from where I'm at.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:00 am

Let's have a perception check.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:07 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:21 am

As the half-orc walks past your hiding place, you spot a pair of dirty feet sticking out the end of the wrapped bundle. The wrapping looks an awful lot like your shirt...

The gnome looks up with a start as the half-orc returns to the camp. Korrik hears a note of urgency in the gnome's voice as he asks:

"What happened?"

The half-orc lays the bundle down, unwraps it and replies to the gnome, but his back is to the forest, and Korrik can't hear what is said.

"Well... After last night's fiasco, I wasn't expecting this."

((The half-orc speaks))

"At home we bury our dead beneath the rocks."

((A reply))

"Well I know that! What do you suggest then?"

((A shrug))

"Ugh."

The gnome pinches the bridge of his nose and sighs.

-----------------------------------------------

Back at the tree, Gwen takes a quick look around, but her heart really isn't in the search and she is too preoccupied to find anything worthwhile.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:32 am

((Biding my time until they are occupied with something else and neither is looking in my direction, then slipping back up the trail in search of the others. As far as I know, the half-orc murdered the gnome and may have done similar to the rest of my business partners.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:36 am

Korrik holds tight, waiting and watching for a chance to make his escape. After a little more inaudible discussion, the pair begin to break down the camp and pack their things.

((Do you want to try and escape now, or wait longer? Whenever you decide to make a move, I'll take a new stealth check.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:43 am

While the pair are busy with breaking camp, I slip from cover and begin jogging up the trail.

((Had at least one more good roll in me! I'm looking to move fast, but not exhaust myself... alternate dash and regular movement as needed to stay fresh.))

Stealth do not fail me now...: 1D20+6 = [18]+6 = 24
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:45 am

((Sounds good - where exactly are you heading to?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:54 am

((Back to the where the paths joined, and see if I can tell if my companions went one way or the other?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler