The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:22 am

((you still have advantage if you want it))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:23 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:46 am

Korrik manages to tighten the parchment in such a way as to remove them without much difficulty at all. He almost manages to tighten them enough to retrieve the leather bundle as well, but it slips free and remains inside the tube. The gnome snorts again and mumbles something incoherent.

The parchments seem to include a fair number of sheets that look like they may be letters and rough maps, but you'll need to spend more time looking at them to figure out what you're holding. The gnome mumbles again as a gentle breeze ruffles the loose tent flap near his head.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:27 am

I wait patiently for the gnome to slip back more deeply under before reaching in to snag the bag (I have darts if I need a bit of extra reach to nab it).

((Another SoH?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:36 am

Yup, if you're using an improvised tool you'll lose the adv but reduce the DC.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:42 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:52 am

You manage to get your fingers closed around the leather bundle and tease it out of the tube. Just as you get it out, the end catches on the inside seam of the tube and bumps the pillow. The gnome stirs and begins to wake up! You have one combat-round of actions you may take before he wakes up fully.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:00 pm

It has pulled free though? I'd like to replace the end cap as best I can and duck out the back of the tent with the bundle and papers.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:09 pm

Yeah, you can get it out no problem. All right, give me one last sleight of hand (no adv) check to replace the cap.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:11 pm

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:16 pm

(you are getting some very good rolls on this!))

Korrik expertly replaces the end cap and ducks easily out the back of the tent, clutching his stolen goods as he scarpers from the crime scene.

Inside the tent, he hears the gnome yawn loudly and begin to move.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:26 pm

((I'm expecting a regression to the mean at any moment... But this was my livelihood, good to see u haven't lost the knack.))

How far to the edge of the clearing closest to the back? What is the ground made up of here?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:39 pm

You're about 10 feet from the closest edge of the scrub and forest; 20 feet ish from the trail you arrived on. The campsite you're in is essentially just a natural clearing in the sparse forest, so it's mostly grass and dirt and surrounded by the grove of tamarind trees; the forest floor is covered in the same sort of leaf litter and difficult scrub that you hid in (and then got tangled in) before.

Now you're around the back of the tent, you do spot a much smaller trail that you spot leading away from the back of the tent and into the trees.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:46 pm

((So not too likely to have left obvious footprints by the orc's pack? Let me know if you want a roll from me for that, otherwise I'm likely to take the trail a little ways and let the gnome hopefully drift back to sleep, but keep an eye on the clearing while checking out the loot. Eventually, I want to circle back around towards the trail we came in on as stealthy as possible.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:53 pm

No, footprints aren't likely. The ground is pretty much baked dry since it's not rained yet today and you made a decent stealth check earlier.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:08 pm

Then headed up the trail, and into the brush within my view of the clearing to hunker down for a bit and make sure the gnome stays put. If all seems quiet, I'll inspect my haul.

((Just realized I intended to try a medicine check on him... I got too distracted by possible valuables...))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:46 pm

((Haha! well, everyone needs priorities!))

Ok, Korrik sneak offs down the new trail into the undergrowth, keeping enough of an eye out behind him to see the gnome emerge from the tent, holding a waterskin and stretching. Flies begin to buzz annoyingly around your head and a powerful smell from up ahead gives you a decent idea that this path most likely leads to the camp's toilet area. Oh well. At least it's in a relatively concealed part of the glade. He should be able to circle away from here and find a nice hiding spot if he wants one.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:12 pm

Yes please, circle around the clearing to within sight of the path the others should be returning down, once settled, take a peek at loot. ((Just let me know which checks you would like.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:29 pm

Letting the sling fall slack, Syli contemplates the cliff for a few moments, wondering how to ascend.

"...ugh, forget that," she mutters to herself, instead opting to follow the cliff at a walking pace until it meets up with the trail.
Last edited by Nioca on Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:31 pm

Kal heads gnomewards.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:21 pm

Mehr gently pats Gwen's back, "Don't blame yourself. She could have surrendered at any point... But where did she think she could escape to? We found her at the hovel, she couldn't hide there."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:08 pm

Out of immediate danger for now, Korrik is able to sneak off into the woods and find himself a nice, area where he should be able to listen out for his companions returning.

((Let's have a stealth check and a perception check for now to see what kind of spot you find to hide and wait in))

Once he's settled, Korrik has a look at his loot. The bundle of papers turns out to be mostly love letters notes pointing out good hunting spots in the wilds around Hightown. One of the scrolls is written in a language he can't identify (history/arcana/INT check if you like). Opening the little leather pouch, he is surprised to find half of a broken arrow inside (the head end), carefully wrapped in a piece of soft, oiled cloth. A small piece of parchment has been wrapped around part of the shaft and tied in place with a very thin strip of leather. Whatever this is, it seems to be of considerable value to someone at least.

-------------------------------------------------

Mehriv comforts Gwen while the half-orc kneels over the body as Kal confirms that she is indeed dead. Turning to Kal, the half-orc sighs solemnly and says:

"It was only a matter of time. She was like a problem animal. Still, there is little honour to be found in such a hunt. I will report back that this has been done. May I count you and your companions as witnesses to the kill? I would prefer not to have to take some other type of proof."

--------------------------------------------------

Gwen decides not to continue the chase up the cliff face and starts picking her way through the undergrowth instead to return to the path (let's have a DEX (Acrobatics) check please).

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:17 pm

Syli Acrobatics (+3): 10

EDIT: Syli has a +3 in acrobatics, not a +5.
Last edited by Nioca on Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:19 pm

"I'd wished for a peaceful solution, but life does not always go as we would wish. What would be required to stand as witness? We're venturing out in the morning."

Is there anything of note on the body?
► Show Spoiler
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:26 pm

I feel slightly bad about looting things of nothing much more than sentimental value...

I'll check out the bit of parchment tied to the arrow.
((How old was the injured gnome in the tent, roughly speaking?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler