The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Nioca
Floods your Ears

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Nioca » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:29 am

((The only translation Syli's done was when she informed the others that she was driven out by lizardfolk. Other than that, she hasn't been, since the gnome understands some level of common.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:47 pm

Mehriv ponders the gnome's words. His personal knowledge of the arcane isn't exactly formal, but he knows of a famous legend passed down through the sorcerors of his own clan. According to that tale, it is possible for magic to occassionally become a physical thing, usually in places where it is most concentrated. In fact, one of the most valuable artefacts of his clan is a small red stone, said to be the magical essence of one of their greatest sorcerors, which was removed from his heart after he died. According to the legend, powerfully magical creatures are said to have similar magic "stones" inside them, and the stars themselves are the magical essences of the great demigods and heroes of myth. Of course, whether the lizardfolk here have similar beliefs is anyone's guess, but there's no doubt in your mind that the stars represent powerful forces and should be considered seriously .

Gwen knows no such tale of course. However, she does know a little of her own patron (insofar as any mortal can truly say they know the mind of such an ancient and alien entity) and knows that when it speaks to her, it often does so as if it's speaking from the very depth of the sky. At the thought of the lizardfolk having contact with it too, she wonders how many other mortals may be in its service and what that may mean for her... still, she knows nothing about lizardfolk magic, and it may be that they have some other source for their power.

Syli knows that many religions have ties to the stars and sky. In fact, she's hard pressed to think of any that don't contain some reference the stars or sky as gateways to the celestial plane, or as the actual home of some gods or their champions. She doesn't know of any evil deities that inhabit those realms, but does know that several neutral or primal ("natural") druidic spirits are said to inhabit the night sky, from where they are said watch over the world.

Of course, those are just the tales you've been told. How true they are remains to be seen....

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:02 pm

The gnome shrugs at Gwen's questions.

"They catched me far in the north. I think I was food gift! They were small with big red thing... (She gestures around her neck) But I run south and got away across the river. But there were more there too! But different. Big! Very strong! They did not catch me! I was too fast!"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:54 pm

Gwen mentally tells Merhiv <N'ynth'urg might be responsible for giving them magic.>
"Okay don't be startled, I am going to try to recreate the tiny lizard with an illusion. Please tell me if I missed anything."

Gwen waits for the gnome's reaction, and if it is positive or indifferent she creates the small lizard from the description without anything on it and a blank expression on it's face.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:07 pm

((ok. How long do you guys want to spend on this?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:33 pm

((If she's promised to behave with regards to the hives enough for us to get credit for it, I'm good to go, so will just be tending to Darr├╝k and his tender belly.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:38 pm

I want to gather as much info as I can. I have questions regarding her...blessing.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:42 pm

((Well, Syli hasn't translated what she said about the hives for you guys, but the gist at the moment is that she doesn't believe there's a problem.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:14 pm

(we don't know that either because syli has not told us)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:41 pm

(Yeah, I'd want to be sure that the honey's actually safe before going.)
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:44 pm

((Ah yeah, that's true. I thought she'd said something in common, but I guess not.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:55 am

Well, with the tension relieved a bit, Gwen approaches the gnome and starts casting minor illusion to try and recreate the lizards the gnome just spoke of. It's not completely helpful, since the gnome keeps insisting that it's very obvious to see who's who, but laughs riotously at tiny errors in each attempt as if you were trying to pass a wolf off as a bear or something equally ridiculous.

After about half an hour, Gwen has managed to produce two versions of the lizardfolk that meet the gnome's approval. One race is indeed fairly small and slight, with red crests around their head and neck; the other is a far bulkier, heavily muscled race with dark green scales over their head and torso.

---------------

The rest of you can wait for Gwen or act while she's busy with the gnome.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:07 am

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:11 am

"So, can we have your agreement not to take more honey?"
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:20 am

((Ok, so when you're making checks in this game, it is MUCH easier if you just tell me what you're wanting to know / achieve first. For speed reasons you're very welcome to make rolls before I ask for them, but only posting the roll doesn't tell me anything about what you're actually trying to do)).

----------------------------

The gnome rolls her eyes and sighs at Mehriv for bringing up the honey again.

"Lots for everyone! Nobody goes hungry! I do not take too much."

She laugh-snorts and looks at Syli for backup, and seems to expect Syli to agree that the concept of owning bees is utterly ridiculous.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:52 am

Syli sighs, rubbing her forehead as if to cradle an oncoming headache. "Mxhbppc gtsz fbxh vhxytsbppc edz jbxqhx zbomsk myydh umzl mz. Ehh tushxylmv bymgh zlhxhy bpyt jbfz zlbz behbx bzzbfomsk lmy ltqh xmklz stu, bsg hrhs mj ctd gts'z qhbs lbxq, lh lby st ubc tj ostumsk zlbz. Xmklz stu lhg eh ftszhsz umzl mszxdymtsy yztv edz ctd ftszmsdh zboh ltshc lh xhytxz zt qtxh gxbyzmf qhbydxhy, bsg vhtvph umsgdv ldxz ghbg by xhydpz. Mj ctd xhbppc ubsz ltshc xbzlhx zlbs ymqvpc zbomsk qbceh yltdpg zxc zbpomsk zt jbxqhx msyzhbg yhh mj ctd fbs xhbfl bqmfbeph zhxqy. Bsg mj stz zlhxh'y vphszc tj jttg tdz lhxh ztt."

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:56 am

In druidic:

"That's why I only go at night and I'm VERY careful not to be caught! No-one gets hurt! This is very stupid. Very greedy of them to keep so much food for themselves. Just like hunter-people! They kill too many animals and leave only dangerous creatures that are hard to catch or taste bad! The poison water makes the plants bad here. If you eat too many it makes you sick! So what should I do?"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:33 pm

Gwen sighs "What about the bees? They seemed rather irrate after you damaged thier home. Lets not forget the fence you broke and the fact you are robbing someone of thier livelyhood."

"You felt upset that the lizards attacked your home and drove you away correct? You are doing something similar to the farmers even if you do not realize it. The beeboxes reside near thier home. They have to make ends meet with the honey they have or they might not have a home anymore."

Was checking info about kolbolds/lizardmen

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:20 pm

(It might help to mention that the honey isn't just used for the people nearby, but for people in the city too, so there's really not enough to go around. Especially considering she alone has completely pillaged... What, three boxes? Of six or seven? When one person's taken almost half of the supply there's no saying the farmers are being greedy.)
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:40 am

In common:

"Bees have plenty! They are small and I only took small bits from each one. But why do you care anyway? This is very big fuss for very small snack!"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:21 am

Gwen tries to think how to get the concept through the thick gnomes skull. "Because it's used by other people. Or rather the farmers use the honey to produce something for people around them. And you took far more than a fair share, you took nearly half of what is set up. It's you that's being greedy."

She remembers the squirrel. "...Okay let me try to put it in a way you might understand. They are saving food for later, like your squirrel hides it's nuts. Do you think it's greedy of the squirrel to do so? If not then why is it greedy for the farmers to use the food they set up and are collecting?"

"The reason I'm making a big deal of this is that someone might get hurt over this misunderstanding, or worse. What if someone decides to wait at night or lay out traps to try to trap, harm, or kill you? I can't have that."

Gwen pauses,her curiosity showing through, "I have no idea what you are capable of, I never heard about someone able to turn into a bear before today. I would like to know more about it."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:25 pm

The druid gives Gwen a long look.

"You are very strange people. Very strange! The honey-makers must be strange too if all they eat is honey."

She gets a mischevious glint in her eye.

"But ok. I will promise not to eat any more honey from their bees houses but you must help me first! Make the hunters go away so I can catch food that is not honey! I will tell you all about being a bear when you come back."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:08 pm

"They don't only eat honey. Do you know anything about alcohol at all?"

Intuition on the gnome's honesty. Intuition : 1D20+1 = [1]+1 = 2 Perfectly trustworthy.

Gwen looks excited when the gnome mentions telling her about being a bear. "Okay! I am sure we can do something sbout it."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:14 pm

Mehr cuffs Gwen across the ear, "What do you think you're agreeing to? We're talking about getting rid of all the hunters from an entire city. It's a literally impossible request."
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:18 pm

Gwen rubs her ear "I thought she meant get them to eat less, or a small tribe of hunters. But if she does want all the hunters to go away from the city which I am not sure you have it right, then we can't.

What are we going to do then?"