The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:33 pm

The son shrugs.

"All right, well, don't get stung I guess."

Mehriv 'helps' look for clues by directing Gwen's investigations of the fence. The ground here is pretty trampled from the farmer's son walking all over it while repairing the fence, so there are a lot of humanoid bootprints around, but she does manage to spot half a pawprint in the soft dirt a little way away from where the man is working. It looks for all the world like a bear's paw print... She also spots a small tuft of fine, grey hair snagged on a nearby thornbush.

She does however, get stung again.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:40 pm

"Hey guys I found a paw print and some grey hair. I think it might be a bear. Come check it out!" Gwen makes sure rhe farmer doesn't mess with this print and tries to ignore the stinging for now.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:42 pm

"Strange that this should be the first break in the fence given a bear is at fault. Well, what say we track down the beast and eliminate it?"
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:49 am

Kal looks at the pawprint and the fur. But the print is so trampled and the bees are so distracting that he can't make much of it.

Nature: 1D20+3 = [2]+3 = 5

"We should probably look over near the other damaged hives. The more we know about what we're up against and where it's coming from, the better we can prepare."
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:33 am

Kal takes a look at the hair and ponders it for a while. He doesn't know much about bears, and grey ones are new to him. He's only ever caught glimpses of smallish, dark-coloured bears around his hometown.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:41 am

Syli takes a glance over the pawprint and the fur herself, seeing if she has better luck identifying it.

Nature (+3 w/ Advantage): 12 Crit-Fail

((EDIT: Modified since Gwen is provided a help action.))

((...that's not helping)))
Last edited by Nioca on Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:50 am

Gwen will help Syli since she's the druid, or anybody that wants her help. (that and my check is -1 :lol: )

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:05 am

Syli notes that the pawprint is fairly small (a bit bigger than a human hand), so may belong to a young animal or perhaps just a smallish species. The hair is strange though - it doesn't look like any kind of animal fur she's seen before. In fact, it looks more like human or dwarf hair...

((So, I think knowledge checks like this probably shouldn't get advantage from 'Help' and should probably be separate rolls, simply because they reflect what you guys know individually. I'm not sure that "helping" actually makes any sense in this context.... It hasn't mattered on the last 2 checks anyway so nothing changes there. Any comments from you guys on that?)).

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:15 am

Syli frowns at the hair. "...me and my big mouth. This is hair, not fur. Unless this came from one of the beekeepers, we might ACTUALLY be looking for an inordinately-hairy humanoid here." She pauses and turns the hair over in her hand; does it look like it could possibly belong to the owner of the farm or the beekeeper that's tending the fence? If not, she'll ask the beekeeper if anyone at the farm has grey hair matching what she's holding.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:21 am

((exactly, and those cases are fine for helping each other out)).

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:29 am

I ponder a bit on hairy things with paws, but after having been stung already, I'm a bit wary.

Nature check: 1D20 = [4] = 4
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:39 am

After all the discussion from the others, Korrik now has bears stuck firmly in his head and can't remember anything else useful to add.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:55 am

If gwen is not allowed to help then: url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=167605]Nature: 1D20-1 = [4]-1 = 3

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:35 am

((What are you looking for/at? Also, you guys can do different checks - they don't all have to be nature :)))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:42 am

Oops - missed Syli's questions. She shows the son the tuft of hair, but he just shrugs at it. It ain't his apparently, though it's anyone's guess while he's wearing that suit.

From what you remember, the farmer had mostly reddish-brown hair with streaks of white through it. You're not convinced that he would match what you've found.

The bees begin to buzz more angrily around the group and this time it's Mehriv, Kal and Syli who are stung. Apparently even the bees think Darruk is too pitiful right now to be a threat...

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:19 am

Mehr ignores the bees as best he can, since the only thing he could do about them is burn down everything, and that's not a good option. "We've found a print, if there's doubt as to whether it's our target then perhaps we should separate into investigation teams... Does anybody see where this track leads?"

Mehr Survival (Try to follow track): 3

Wow, we really are just the Bad Roll Crew. I think I prefer the one session of RL D&D I tried where three level 1 characters beat up an owlbear because it kept rolling horribly and we did awesome.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:30 am

((good lord you guys are rolling horribly!))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:33 am

((We must be saving up the good rolls for a fight... Yep. A real big fight. That's why two people almost died to rats and we only survived with a spell that auto-hits. We're totally not all going to explode in a fireball the first time Mehr triggers Wild Magic. Nope.))
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:52 am

(We are all going to turn into were bears :D Wait is this not the outcome I was hoping for? :p )

Gwen is trying to try help Merhiv. Surv: 1D20+3 = [4]+3 = 7

By help I of course mean do no such thing. She's paying attention to something else that's not the tracks. :P

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:35 am

Syli also attempts to follow the tracks to see where they lead. However, getting attacked by bees is getting aggravating, and she splits her attention between that and starting a small fire on the bundle of branches she's carrying, producing smoke to help ward off the bees.

Survival (+3): 11

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:29 am

I feel a bit left out watching everyone else fumble about in the underbrush futilely trying to follow the tracks, so I join in the fun of finding nothing.

Tracking: 1D20+2 = [8]+2 = 10
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:30 am

Syli lights her bundle of branches and uses the smoke to keep the worst of the bees away. It seems to work fairly well, and the bees avoid her at least. Studying the ground is difficult here because it's so overgrown, but once she and Korrik get their eye in, they do eventually find another pawprint a little way to the north... then another and another as they pick up a trail leading northeast. The others are all stung again, and the bees are clearly starting to get more and more agitated as they begin to swarm aggressively around the party's heads.

Interestingly, all these pawprints are heading towards the farm rather than away from it, but it's still the best clue they've found so far.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:19 am

Trusting that Syli knows what she's doing with her smoke, I stick close to her.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:26 am

((If you guys want to follow the trail away from the farm, just confirm it and we'll move on. Otherwise, you're welcome to hang out with the angry bees and look around some more >:D))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:34 am

((I'm good to get moving.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler