The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Tue May 16, 2017 7:35 pm

((I don't know... What place? And what guard?))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue May 16, 2017 7:53 pm

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue May 16, 2017 8:07 pm

((oh yeah, that guy. Have a quick look back through the updates - that's probably only a page or two ago. I'm going to bed the now, but if you want to find someone to speak to about performing you can do that. It'll be pay to play in most places though unless you get lucky.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue May 16, 2017 8:09 pm

Okay then look for performing places and maybe try to get a performer permit.
per: 1D20+1 = [8]+1 = 9

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue May 16, 2017 9:39 pm

"It is unsurprising that you would not meet with my clan, for though we often do business in Barrtown most members are reluctant to interact with others. As for my business, I intend to set up shop in this city. I intend to lay down relations and stabilise business before deeply involving myself with your guild too deeply to ensure your time is not wasted with paperwork made redundant."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed May 17, 2017 12:10 am

Kal leaves with the other acolytes. If he or Gwen spot each other, he'll take a moment to catch up. But I don't think either has much of import to say at the moment. Is anyone from the family still around? If not, Kal will return to Plan A - help out around the temple and try to learn more about everything (what city life is like, how to get around the city, what there is to see and do, any gossip, any opportunities to employ the party, getting to know people in the temple, etc). But if he can do so without disturbing them, he'd like to pay his respects to the family.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 17, 2017 5:58 pm

3pm

Gwen spots Kal coming out of the room and they spend a quick moment catching up. Gwen tells Kal she's done a bit of busking and Kal tells Gwen he's been helping out around the temple and intends to do so for the rest of the day.

Kal pauses by the entrance to the room long enough to pass his regards to Valeria Morley as she leaves the room with the Radiant Mother. She nods in thanks, but seems to have a lot on her mind. Her guards fall in behind her as she leaves the Temple. The Radiant Mother watches her leave then speaks to Kal:

"We haven't had a chance to meet yet. Welcome to our temple. I wish you could have enjoyed it on a happier day, but such is the nature of the world.

I understand you were there when the ship returned to town. What did you make of it?"

---------------------------

~3 - 3.30pm

Gwen then heads back outside to look for a place to perform. She wanders the streets for about half an hour before she finally finds an inn with a performing space, but it seems they are quite a well-known venue for bards and performers and are fully booked for the foreseeable future.

With a sigh, she heads back outside. A young man is leaning casually by the door and stops her as she leaves.

"No luck, huh? Listen, this place is great and all, but if you're really looking for a place to perform where you can make some decent money..."

He leans in closer.

"You should check out my cousin's place. It's just over the river, east of the ferry. Place is called the "Blue Fox" and they're always looking for new talent".

There's something slightly off about this guy...
-------------------------------

3pm

As Syli reaches the bridge, she spots the same guards who were there earlier. A little way up the road, she sees a couple of travellers heading away from town with heavy packs on their backs. An ox and cart are trundling slowly towards the town and are about a hundred metres or so away.

2.15pm

"It is unsurprising that you would not meet with my clan, for though we often do business in Barrtown most members are reluctant to interact with others. As for my business, I intend to set up shop in this city. I intend to lay down relations and stabilise business before deeply involving myself with your guild too deeply to ensure your time is not wasted with paperwork made redundant."
"A wise choice sir! It is always best to be prepared in business after all, and it is certainly true that a little planning goes a long way! Excuse me a moment then, I shall see if anyone is available today."

The clerk hurries away into a back room, leaving Mehriv and Darruk standing in the humid reception area. About ten minutes later, he comes back and leads them through a wide, wood-panelled hall, furnished with finely decorated tables and tall leather chairs. Long windows line the north wall, which let a slight breeze and the sound of chirping birds float through the room from a lush, tree-lined garden.

A couple of people are sitting and reading or pondering their own thoughts. They look up with curiosity as the clerk leads the pair through, but don't speak.

The clerk leads them through a corridor lined with half a dozen heavy, dark-stained wooden doors on either side and up to one door which is slightly ajar. He knocks and a jovial male voice calls:

"Come in, come in! Please, come in!"

The clerk ushers Mehriv and Darruk inside and leaves them to their meeting. In front of them stands probably one of the tallest, and roundest dragonborns Mehriv has ever seen. His scales are green, but in the way that a forest is "green", and his eyes are a deep amber. His clothes are a rich, dark purple, and he wears a few pieces of very high-quality gold jewelry. Pinned to his chest is a round gold and green badge with a backwards "4" symbol on it.
► Show Spoiler
"Well I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes! A dragonborn of the Turajin has graced our small town at long last! Welcome my friend! Now, I must know!
Tell me what has brought you so far from home, while your man fetches us some refreshments from the kitchens.

((It appears clear that "Your man" means "your manservant", and that he's talking about Darruk))

--------------------------------

It's about 2pm for Korrik.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed May 17, 2017 6:12 pm

Gwen gives the man a sweet smile. "I will check it out later, what is your name so I can have you as a reference?"

deception: 1D20+6 = [17]+6 = 23
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed May 17, 2017 6:17 pm

"I come to begin a shop in the city, hoping to build suitable funds to do my clan honour. In truth, I was sent from the clan in the belief that I would serve them better apart from most, but though it sounds like an expulsion from the clan, I assure you that I still bear full rights, and hopefully my humble store may expand to lay the foundation of a trading post for my clan... I hope you can understand that my clan would not approve of my truly joining your guild, but I shall endeavour to work in harmony with you."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Gwen gives the man a sweet smile. "I will check it out later, what is your name so I can have you as a reference?"

deception: 1D20+6 = [17]+6 = 23
► Show Spoiler
((I forgot to say, but you're welcome to make insight and / or perception rolls if you want to. That's a solid deception though :)))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed May 17, 2017 7:21 pm

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed May 17, 2017 10:45 pm

Oh, I was thinking Kal could have said something about having been on the ship. "I'm sorry we couldn't be there in time to save her" or some such. I guess I should have specified. But I suppose it doesn't matter. It's understandable she'd be preoccupied. The family will be back for the hearing.

"An honor to meet you, Radiant Mother. The temple is a wonder. It's breathtaking. And a fine island of peace and home in the midst of this strange and chaotic city. I've never been outside my small forest village before, so I am most grateful for your hospitality.

The ship? I don't know that I can tell you much. Clearly, it had been attacked along the way, somewhere upriver. The lady was dead when we found her. There was no sign of anyone else on board, and the cargo seemed to have been left untouched. I don't know what to make of it. But then I don't know what to make of anything here yet. Why, yesterday, a woman's purse was stolen in the middle of the marketplace, the guards did nothing, and no one seemed to expect them to help. Truly, I have much to learn before I can venture to understand city life. "
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu May 18, 2017 9:48 am

I step up to next to the gnomish woman, continuing to look towards the temple. "Sad business, that.
You know... I hear the Larkhall's tried to claim the ship out from under the Morley's noses!"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sat May 20, 2017 7:30 am

Syli continues across the river. She gives the passing travelers a curious look, but otherwise decides to press forward.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat May 20, 2017 9:42 am

Gwen smiles sweetly at the man and promises to visit before enquiring after his name. She still has a bad feeling about the guy, but she can't work out why... Maybe it's just her imagination?
He grins back rakishly and replies, "Well I'll look forward to seeing you there; I bet you can put on quite the show! You can call me Jack, but what should I call you sweetheart?"

Mehriv explains his intentions about Hightown to the man, who seems to be hugely entertained by the tale.

"My my my! So you are the prodigal son, sent out to find fame and glory in this hard world on your own! That is by far the most exciting tale I have heard in a long time, my new friend! I don't have much cause to travel these days, but I am very fond of hearing tales from outside our humble city. If I were you, I would perhaps not completely spurn the notion of Guild membership. We have quite a variety of resources available to traders and we can be quite useful in providing contacts. Not that one such as yourself would necessarily need such things of course, but every little helps as they say! Still, if you keep to the laws of the city and do your part to spread wealth within the walls I imagine we will get on just fine."

WearsHats wrote:Oh, I was thinking Kal could have said something about having been on the ship. "I'm sorry we couldn't be there in time to save her" or some such. I guess I should have specified.

((That's fine - I kept the pleasantries vague, but if that's what you want to say to her then consider it canon. She still responds in a similar way though - polite acknowledgement before leaving)).

Kal speaks to the Radiant Mother, who smiles as she listens.

"Perhaps it is not you who should change your expectations, but the city itself. Tell me, when the young woman was robbed and no-one else did anything, what did YOU do?"

---------------------------------

Korrik wanders over to the woman and decides to share a bit of gossip.

"You don't say! The Larkhalls have always been no-good, money-grabbing scoundrels in my book! I am not surprised at all that they would try such a thing, as pointless as it would be. There's no thieving those ships, and no way to sink them either from what I've heard. Even without a crew, they'll come floating back home like great wooden dogs so I've heard."

----------------------------------

Syli looks curiously at the travelers, but is in a hurry and decides to head back to the temple. By 4pm, she has made it back.

Since everyone else is doing stuff in the Temple district, I'm going to pause Syli here and catch you up when the others are back in sync. It shouldn't be too long, I think it's after 3pm for pretty much everyone except Korrik

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat May 20, 2017 12:34 pm

"Call me Alexia." She gives him a curtsy and walks away from his view snd writes down 'Blue Fox' with blanks on the side and 'Jack from blue fox - suspicious?'. She makes sure she is truley out of his sight and area before inquiring about the blue fox and Jack.
Per, persuasion : 1D20+1 = [20]+1 = 21
1D20+4 = [4]+4 = 8

Hopefully having a crit on per means i get some good info

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat May 20, 2017 12:44 pm

((Depends on who you're asking :) Just randoms in the street or are you going to look for anyone specific?))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat May 20, 2017 12:52 pm

Hmm the performance places/club i was in might give insight, maybe the bartender, owner and so e randoms there and then a couple guards.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat May 20, 2017 1:11 pm

"I agree, none of my run ins with Larkhalls left me much inclined to think all that well of them. Near as I can figure, they might have wanted to gain the favor of the Morely's by being the ones to return it to them? Like you say, not much like they could paint it and say they'd had it the whole time and think no one would notice. I hear it was... oh... the older fellow, all bluster and demands that tried to commandeer the ship. Name's slipped on me at the moment..."

thinkslogically wrote: I think it's after 3pm for pretty much everyone except Korrik
((What time is it for me? I'll try to get caught up quickly.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat May 20, 2017 2:07 pm

Ok, the performance place sounds good.

Gwen heads back inside the inn (called the "Golden Lute"), and heads back to the bartender to enquire about this place called the "Blue Fox" and the guy at the front door who was pitching it.

The bartender seems like a knowledgeable sort, and happy to help.

"Hmmm... Can't say I've heard of it, but places come and go and change names all the time down by the docks. Lots of 'em get shut down every few weeks then pop back up again with a different owner and a different name, but the same old crap. Just... be careful down there. It can get pretty rowdy."

Gwen turns around to point out Jack, but it seems he's already left and the bartender hadn't noticed him.

---------------------------------------

Korrik agrees with the woman and continues making small talk.

"An older man? I suppose that could have been Malcolm. He's always been ready to grab an opportunity when it suits him."

It's about 2.15pm for Korrik; everyone else is at 3 - 3.30pm except for Syli who's got to 4pm by rushing around :)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat May 20, 2017 2:31 pm

Gwen looks around "This is what he looks like." and she makes a small minor illusion of Jack in front of her so he can see. "I...wanted to use my illusions for performances" she says if he seemed shocked and asks about him.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat May 20, 2017 3:03 pm

The man blinks in surprise at the small illusion and takes a few moments to respond. He doesn't seem entirely sure what to make of it or of Gwen...

"Well... I've seen him around every so often, but I don't know who he is. I assumed he was a street trader or something, and I suppose if he was trying to get you to go to this "Blue Fox" place then that's what he does."

He looks back to the illusion.

"...You don't often see folk who can make those. How are you doing that?"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat May 20, 2017 3:14 pm

"He seemed a bit ...off. But you are probably right. I guess I am being paranoid.

Oh, it's a gift. I dabble slightly in the arcane arts. I am not sure if I would be a good teacher though..."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat May 20, 2017 3:25 pm

"Oh, I don't want to learn! I just... Well, that sort of power has to come from somewhere doesn't it? Magic always has a price if you believe what the bards say. I hope I'm not being rude, I was just curious where yours comes from. I've only ever seen two or three other people who could do that kind of trick."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat May 20, 2017 3:31 pm

"Ah, yes, Malcolm, I do believe you're right. Grabby opportunist or not, I'd not have the desire to go up against Valeria Morley, she doesn't seem the sort to let go easily. Do you think this might be the start of something? Other of the families vying for power? Besides the Larkhall's getting greedy again, what other families have enough issue with the Morley's to work against them?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler