The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:46 am

I hold up my hands in a cautionary gesture.

"Now then, I can't promise anything,
my employer would need to approve anything... But we've just opened a shop in town. We are still getting things off the ground, but will hopefully eventually be going on excursions to the surrounding jungle, and having someone with a solid head for keeping books would let the shop stay open while we are gone."

"Tell you what... At the very least I can get you an interview with my partners, and even if things don't work out, perhaps a place to stay til your ship leaves. If you take yourself to Market Square, to the Dancing Minstrel, the owner is Bren Oakfast. We've some business on this side of the river, but will be there this evening."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:47 am

Hmmm...I say at least an hour? Hopefully not too much longer.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:00 am

The halfling just about leaps out of his seat with excitement

"Oh! That would be incredible! Thank you so much! You won't regret this Master Tallpine! I'll prepare my things and I'll be waiting in the Dancing Minstrel tonight!"

The halfling leaps out of his seat and rushes off.

-----------

Gwen waits and waits. After about half an hour, someone finally speaks and she hears two female voices conversing followed by chanting.

((You can assume Gwen heard everything that Kal did, but won't know who Valeria was talking to since she's never met the Radiant Mother before))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:21 am

I sigh. Well, he's enthusiastic at least...

((How has the rest of the bar responded to his departure?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:23 am

((A few people look around in amusement at the outburst, but otherwise don't see to take much notice)).

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:27 am

((I think I'll just give it a while, slowly sipping my drink and seeing if I overhear anything further, or anyone else shows up... Maybe another half hour or so to see in something develops.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:21 pm

Was the pilot of the boat female? If not then that means someone else was dead on the boat.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:31 pm

((Pilot was female.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:17 pm

(Ah okay) Gwen sticks around, hoping to get some information out of this than what she already knows.

What did the guards say after they exit the rooom? Did she get any of that?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:45 pm

They haven't really said anything except "well take it from here / ok, see you.")

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:05 pm

"Hm... No, I don't think that quite suits my purposes. My apologies for consuming your time."

Alright, well... I was kind of hoping they'd have records of significant decisions and such, but I guess Mehr's going to be heading back to the guilds, looking for a more general trader's hall, or something that would suit his store.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:02 pm

((honestly, if you want to know high-level political gossip, you're probably best trying to get it from the merchant families themselves. You'll definitely get more info at the meeting tonight, but inter-family arguments or current financial standings are not the sort of thing that would be common knowledge.

...There are other ways to get such information of course, but it's more illegal than mehr would probably like :) ))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:45 pm

Well, it's not so much those that I'm interested in as the influence families have over guilds. Even if one family has low financial standing, if they have a lot of influence with the guilds it's best to be in their good graces. As for inter-family relations... I could care less, but not much less. So long as they don't try to single us out because of relations to one family or another I don't care what they think of eachother.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:18 am

Ah ok, I understand. Will the Merchants guild do?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:21 am

Yeah, that'll work.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:46 pm

Korrik enjoys his drink and sits for a while just listening casually to the other patrons, but he doesn't hear anything much of note. The bartender checks on him a couple of times, but decides to focus his attentions on more thirsty customers.

The group who had been discussing the river ship continue speculating about what it could mean for a while. One keeps casting odd looks in Korrik's direction and eventually calls over:

"Hey! You were on that boat this morning weren't you? You were the one on the roof!"

He shoves his stool back to get a better view and his friends turn to look as well.

"Well go on then! Tell us what you saw!"

((It is 1pm))
-----------------

Mehriv finds his way through to the merchants guild eventually, and knocks on the door.

A young half elf answers the door politely and leads the pair inside to a large, opulent reception area with a vast wooden desk.

"Good afternoon sirs and welcome to he Hightown merchants guild. Now, may I ask your names and what business brings you to us today?"

((It's about 2pm for you both I think...))

--------------

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:13 pm

It appears I've overstayed myself here....

"No, it wasn't, though you're the third person to ask! I suppose all halflings must look the same to some... Truth be told, I wish it had been me, then I'd be swapping a story for ale instead of coin..."

I look wistfully into my empty mug before placing it on the bar, and give a nod to the table on my way out.

Deception check: 1D20+4 = [17]+4 = 21
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:20 pm

The man chuckles uncomfortably and turns back to his group.

"Ah... Well, it's my mistake then. Have a pleasant afternoon!"

The man accepts the explanation and teturns to whatever his friends are talking about.

Korrik heads out to the street, just as Valeria Morley and the guard pass by carrying the body of the dead pilot.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:29 pm

((If there are others nearby, I'd adopt whatever response they have... Quiet respect, avoidance, etc. Trying to blend in with the crowd.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:16 pm

Most people stand respectfully as the procession goes by, but quickly return to their work as soon as it's passed. Korrik does the same and watches as the body is carried into the Temple.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:36 pm

"I am Mehriv, of the Turajin clan. I have come here today to ask after the relations of the merchant families and the guild."
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:34 pm

((I want to slip a block or way and keep pace with the procession before popping back out to the main street to try to find someone to question... be looking for someone well dressed, of a merchant or minor noble class.))

Perception: Likely folks to chat up?: 1D20+2 = [4]+2 = 6

((But apparently do a poor job of it, unless it's stupidly obvious...))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon May 01, 2017 3:01 am

Syli quickly hides her ill-gotten gains; she ducks into the basement to stow the writing tools, the makes a quick trip to the outhouse to hide the key.

Once that's done, she'll start making her way back.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue May 16, 2017 7:22 pm

The clerk looks at Mehriv with brief surprise at his forthrightness.

"Then welcome, Master Mehriv of the Turajin Clan, to the Hightown Merchant's Guild! I heard tales of your clan when I was in Barrtown, though I never had the pleasure of meeting them in person I'm sorry to say.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid I am not permitted to discuss business matters with outside parties, but if you would like to speak with one of the Guild Masters I can certainly see if anyone would be willing to meet with you? If that is suitable for you sir, I would need to know the nature of your business interests in Hightown."

Darruk tags along.
► Show Spoiler
----------------------------------------------------------

Korrik subtly follows the procession for a little way until they enter the temple, then decides to look for fancy people to chat to. Unfortunately for him, almost everyone in this part of town seems to be well-dressed and of moderate wealth and there is little to distinguish them. On the plus side, that probably means he can just pick anyone he likes the look of and speak to them. A middle-aged female gnome in a red coat catches his eye and nods politely in greeting.

----------------------------------------------------------

Syli hides her stolen goods carefully amongst the basement junk then takes a trip to the outhouse. She searches around for a few minutes to find a good hiding place that isn't "down below" and eventually decides to conceal the key from the Iskat on top of the inside doorframe. She rattles the door a few times to make sure the key won't accidentally fall down, and then starts making her way back to the Temple District. By the time the afternoon heat is beginning to break (at roughly 3pm), she has made it most of the way back to the swing bridge.

---------------------------------------------------

In the temple, Gwen waits around a bit longer, until the acolytes begin to leave the room. They pass by solemnly, and disperse to the other parts of the temple.

((I'm not sure if Kal wants to leave with the group, or hang around the room where the body has been interred and try to speak to the Priestess or Valeria Morley first? If he's leaving the room, Gwen will spot him as he leaves; otherwise she still won't know he's here.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue May 16, 2017 7:31 pm

Gwen is dissatisfied that her curiosity is not tamed and briefly looks around for anybody she knows before going outside.
► Show Spoiler