The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Sat May 20, 2017 3:32 pm

((spider, give me a persuasion roll please))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat May 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat May 20, 2017 4:12 pm

"Bards have a tendency to embellish stories for coin. If a person is born with it, they would say that person conflicted with inner demons, or a curse put upon them. While some might think of themselves as cursed, most would not. But if what the bards say is true then what about the clerics? What price is thier magic? They say it is from the gods but is that the case?"

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat May 20, 2017 4:44 pm

"I shall consider your advice, thank you. Now, would you permit me a question? I've been wondering how the merchant families interact with your guild and other merchants."

((What time were we meant to go to that meeting with the merchant families?))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat May 20, 2017 5:37 pm

((Your meeting is at sunset, meeting outside the Temple by 6. I was going to give you all a reminder at 5pm))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat May 20, 2017 6:06 pm

((Alright, no problem. I just had a sudden fear that I'd completely missed the time.))
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat May 20, 2017 6:34 pm

((nah, I'm not that mean :) especially in a forum game where you guys are looking at actual days between actions! I'll keep you right on that kind of thing))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat May 20, 2017 7:17 pm

Korrik
"Well, I'm not one to spread gossip you know! Excuse me now, I must be off"

Korrik rolls his eyes as the gossipy gnome heads off into the city.

Gwen
"Forgive me miss, I really meant no offense. I only know what I've been told, but you're right that maybe I shouldn't believe everything I hear. I apologise."

Mehriv
"Well, we're not formally affiliated with the seven families as such, though we work with them on common goals. Each of the seven families gets a seat on the council, and they run the city. Below that, the Assembly provides advice, and represents the various interests of the city. The lesser houses, the guilds, and the main industries all have voices on the Assembly. If you were to join the Guild, your interests would be represented by us directly to the council via the Assembly.

Beyond that, we trade with them much as you would expect. They control much of the trade through the forest because they are obviously the only ones with River Ships, but they still rely on imports if fine foods, drinks and luxuries as much as anyone else. I'm sure a merchant of renown like yourself would know all of this already though! Forgive me, I do tend to go on!

Please, I would be delighted to hear tales of your travels if you're willing? You must have had quite the journey to reach us here!"
Last edited by thinkslogically on Sat May 20, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat May 20, 2017 7:43 pm

"Well, it has not been nearly so eventful as you may expect, but I will gladly tell of my travels." Mehr begins relaying his story of leaving the clan and beginning to travel, gathering employees on the road, both ol acquaintances and new, meeting with his broker to arrange for a store in the city, and finding a ship to deliver them to port here.
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat May 20, 2017 8:40 pm

"It's no problem good sir.

Do you know of anybody who would know about the docks and it's establishments? I'd like to know more about the place before I'd attempt to perform there."

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun May 21, 2017 4:01 am

thinkslogically wrote:Kal speaks to the Radiant Mother, who smiles as she listens.

"Perhaps it is not you who should change your expectations, but the city itself. Tell me, when the young woman was robbed and no-one else did anything, what did YOU do?"
"I wasn't sure what to do. I looked, but there was no sign of the culprit and the market was too crowded and chaotic. I spoke to the woman,
but I was at a loss as to how to help her. I feel I should have talked to the guards, but my companions were impatient to get on with our own business. I had just gotten lost because I let them get out of sight while trying to look around. There's so much to see. So much chaos. So much I don't understand. Everything is so different from home. Which is why I'm here, of course. But it's a lot to take in at once.

So... I did my best to comfort the woman, but I had to give up on helping her more substantially. Such things do not often happen in my village, but, for all that I am young and inexperienced, I am a paladin. And my mother is the local ranger. We would have been the first to step up, find the thief, and resolve the matter. Not to be able to help, and to see those tasked with doing so turning a blind eye... It was distressing.

What is your counsel, Radiant Mother?"
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun May 21, 2017 10:29 am

((I think I'd like to spend my time catching up to current just wandering the district, getting an idea of what shops are there, and keeping an ear out for gossip, with plans to be at the meeting on time. Let me know what rolls you'd like from me please.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun May 21, 2017 10:34 am

I'll take perception and insight checks (per for spotting stuff; insight for judging the likely value of any rumours you hear).

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun May 21, 2017 10:44 am

Not a very productive afternoon...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun May 21, 2017 1:30 pm

((Not particularly :)))

Korrik passes a pleasant, but hot afternoon exploring the Temple District more thoroughly. Directly around the temple there are a few stalls, selling religious charms and trinkets, and then the shops and cafes and bars (including the one he was in earlier today). He finds a small shrine to Corellon near the entrance to the Merchant's Quarter where he notices that a few coppers have been placed and a small wooden flute, and otherwise gets a better feel for the layout of the region. However, he doesn't see many people out and about in the heat of the midafternoon, beyond a few young errand-runners and apprentices. They are all too busy with their own tasks to pay him much attention unfortunately.

Still, the Temple District seems clean and populated with relatively affluent people. The guards are well-trained and seem disciplined enough, at least insofar as none of them seem particularly inclined to gossip or play tour-guide for the afternoon. Korrik doesn't get the feeling that this part of the city wants for much. It certainly doesn't have that sense of desperation and longing he got used to during his smuggling days, and he gets the impression that someone in this town would only have to express vague interest in a thing before they would be pointed to a shop where they could buy it. All in all, it feels like a safe and prosperous place to settle. ...Assuming you have the coin to pay for it of course.

By the time he has finished his wanderings, the finds himself back at the Temple itself at around 4pm. ((If you like, you're welcome to find Syli in the square)).

--------------------------------------

Mehriv similarly passes some time regaling the merchant with tales of his life and travels so far which appear to delight the man no end. He is certainly a good audience!

Eventually, the steward returns and with a polite knock on the door.

"Pardon my intrusion sirs, but Mistress Caventor has arrived for her afternoon appointment."

"Ah, yes that's right. Well, tempus fugit as they say. Excuse me my dear friend, I'm afraid duty calls."

He stands and offers Mehriv and Darruk a clawed hand in friendship.

"Until next time, Mehriv of the Turajin clan. It has been a pleasure, and I hope you will visit our humble guild again soon."

The steward leads the pair back down to the entryway.

It is now 4pm for you as well

--------------------------------------------------------------

Kal ponders the Radiant Mother's words and replies. She smiles slightly.

"I sense a rare potential in you, young man. I believe that you have been touched by Pelor himself and granted a piece of his power. It is a rare gift to be given. Radiant Fathers and Mothers are often counted among those who have received such blessings, and may be great healers. Others are called to destroy those who stand in opposition to Pelor's teachings, or to bring back the lives of those who are wrongfully taken by the Raven Queen. I do not know what path Pelor has set before you of course, but I have no doubt it will be difficult. But trust in yourself, and in Pelor's guidance, and... know that you have friends here in this city.

Good luck, Kal."

She places her hand lightly on his shoulder and then returns to the temple.

((It is still around 3.15pm))

--------------------------------------------------------------

Gwen asks who might know more about the Blue Fox, but the bartender seems to be at a loss. It's probably because it's hard to know who would know about a bar he's never heard of...

"Well... I'm not sure I can help you really. Like I said, I don't really go across the river much myself and it changes so fast! To be honest, you're probably best just going and seeing the place for yourself. Just be careful, like I said, but if you've got magics I can't imagine you've got much to worry about."

---------------------------------------------------------------

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun May 21, 2017 2:15 pm

Spotting Syli in the sparse crowd, I slip around and sidle up along side her.
"So, did you have a productive day?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun May 21, 2017 2:29 pm

How far way is the river from here time wise?

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun May 21, 2017 6:36 pm

Mehr decides that, business handled, he should head for the meeting place ahead of time.
My game:

My characters:

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun May 21, 2017 8:48 pm

Kal goes to the main temple shrine to meditate on the Radiant Mother's words and ask Pelor's guidance.

(Where and when are we supposed to meet?)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon May 22, 2017 5:34 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:How far way is the river from here time wise?
I swear I replied to this...

Anyway, you're about 15 minutes away, but the ferry only runs every 30 mins. You could make it across and you'd have about half an hour on the other side before you'd have to come back for the meeting.

Mind the ferry is 5sp for a ticket.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon May 22, 2017 5:38 am

Naaah. It's too much for potential pay. She will stick on this side of town. Maybe try to find how to get a permit to perform outside so I don't have conflicting jobs.

Per: 1D20+1 = [18]+1 = 19

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon May 22, 2017 10:31 am

"Not in the slightest," Syli replies coolly, sparing only a brief and unsurprised glance at her sudden traveling companion. "I had to make a trip back to the shop before the meeting.."

Syli trails off, slowing her pace. Making sure there's not anyone immediately in earshot, she then murmurs quietly, "...if I had known that whatever had attacked the ship hadn't taken anything off of it AND that we'd be facing an inquiry, I woulda kept my sticky fingers to myself. I happened to grab a key that looked important, and I wanted to make sure it was off my person before this big meeting."

"...how about you?"

Perception (+5): 19
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon May 22, 2017 11:14 am

My amused chuckle at her lack of startle response to my approach turns into a low whistle. "I'm starting to think you might have more luck with your 'sticky fingers' than I will. I feel like Mehr and Darr are always keeping half an eye on me that I don't fall back on old ways... Were you able to tell if it was to a door or some sort of container? I'd wouldn't mind a look when we get back."

"I met a nice fellow in need of a job, he might work out as a bookkeeper to run the shop while we are out of town.
He'll be ready for an interview once we get back to the inn."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon May 22, 2017 11:19 am

WearsHats wrote: (Where and when are we supposed to meet?)
6pm outside the Temple, so you're already in the right place to just duck out when you feel like.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon May 22, 2017 7:00 pm

"Well, being an outsider to the group does have its advantages. As for the key, I haven't a clue. I didn't really get a chance to look at it closely with all the excitement going on. Just that it was marked 'Spare'." Syli frowns.

"...it looks like we have an hour or so left. I had this idea of rummaging through the trash of some of these higher end shops and seeing if I could find some gear our wizardy types could magically repair into good shape, 'less you got a better idea."