The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Nioca
Floods your Ears

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Nioca » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Syli climbs up and starts navigating the rope bridge with absolute ease.

Acrobatics (+3): 23 (CRIT!)

((...gonna be honest, kinda hoping this is just balancing out the poor luck we've had in the past, otherwise when the other shoe drops, it's gonna hurt))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:52 pm

Deciding to follow the lizardfolk, you all climb the tree and set foot on the vine-paths. They wobble and creak, but are remarkably sturdy and seem easily able to hold your weight. You will all need to keep at least one hand on the guideropes as you move forward, but at least you don't need to worry about slogging your way through the undergrowth any more, or whatever those traps may have been that the lizardfolk left for you!

The vine-ropes themselves form a branching, maze-like web, stretching between neighbouring trees and quickly disappearing into the depths of the dense, dark jungle.

-------------------------------------

How would you like to proceed?

(While you're on the vines, two-handed tasks will require a DC15 acrobatics / DEX check to pull off successfully or you'll risk a fall.)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:24 pm

((Do they seem to be going equally in all directions, or is there a 'main road'?))

"Hey Boss, any idea where their camp is?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:29 pm

((from here, there's basically one rope path leading west towards the bridge you crossed yesterday; one zigzagging off to the east-southeast, and one leading south. Each vine path is only 30 feet long or so at most, though and the dense foliage makes it a little tricky to tell where each path may eventually take you.

I'll be needing one of you to nominate themselves as a "guide" from here on though, which means taking the lead on the group's survival rolls for pathfinding))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:00 pm

I think Syli has the best surv skills, and Gwen can help her out with the task.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:30 pm

"No clue, but since one was worried we would find the camp, and we were heading east, let's head south-east for the moment."

(Syli with Gwen's help sounds good.)
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:08 pm

((Works for me))

"I agree. It looks like the other two just follow the river and act as a border, so if we take this one... should lead us right to their doorstep." As the druid and the (so-called) survival expert of the group, Syli takes point.

--Assisted Survival (+3 w/ Adv): 20

((It's funny: Advantage never actually seems to work to my advantage. Whenever I have it, the first roll is always the superior one))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:19 pm

((Well if having it makes your first roll better then it's still giving an advantage. :p))
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:49 am

Merric wakes up with a start when the little bat starts squeaking importantly next to his face.
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:11 pm

► Show Spoiler
Merric doesn't want to interrupt the contract discussion so stays silent and uses the opportunity to do his sea water ritual.

Once outside he finally dares to open his mouth.

"Are we sure this is good? It's like kissing a spider web and suddenly swallowing a spider because it wanted a fly.. most of the tree people decided to go deeper into the woods just so you know. Only a few went back to the bridge. We could ambush them and force them to tell us of another river crossing and trick them by going on the wrong side of the river!"
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:32 pm

((Actually I need a sleep roll for Gwen too :) ))
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by thinkslogically on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:50 pm

vision/nightmare: 1D20 = [19] = 19
Woo! She might get some more answers!

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:59 pm

Varsk goes along with the rest of the group, preferring the middle or least not next to Merric.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:02 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:vision/nightmare: 1D20 = [19] = 19
Woo! She might get some more answers!
So close, but no cigar this time!
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:01 pm

"Hrm, if they went back to the river... They may flank us. Should we be going back for them to prevent that?"
My game:

My characters:

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:05 pm

"I dunno. Thing is, we got lucky last night. They don't know where we are yet. If we double back, we risk them getting back on our trail again, AND we'll have lost a day's time on top of that; don't forget, we never actually saw the scout that saw us, and they probably don't expect us to have found their little secret roadway up here."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:12 pm

"You've a good point, but the party watching the crossing probably won't expect anything coming along their paths, and if an alarm is sounded the small party will close in behind us. It's risky either way."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:47 am

Varsk looks at the vine bridge a moment before smiling darkly.

"We should sabotage a few of these after we cross. That should slow down anyone comin' from behind us. A nice and high one first.

Few cuts on the underside of the vines maybe? Best if there are a few on it when it gives."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:53 am

Varsk makes a few cuts in the guideropes leading in the other directions, hopefully weakening them if anyone decides to follow.

((Let's have a DEX roll here, since you're trying to be delicate)).

---------------------------------------------------------------

The group head on, following Syli deeper into the forest as she guides you as directly towards the south-east as she can. The trees close around you, and the forest grows darker and more humid as you continue. The ground below you seems to become progressively wetter, with hummocks of raised ground rising out of standing water and pools of mud, and you are all quite grateful that you don't have to try and slog through that. Insects buzz around your ears and bite at your exposed skin, and fat spiders hang lazily in webs spanning the gaps between trees. Birds and monkeys screech to each other far above you in the canopy, but remain largely out of sight.

After an hour or so of moving through the woods, Syli signals you all to stop and points to the path ahead. In front of you, the next bridge is longer than usual (100 feet) and leads out through a wide, open clearing to a single large tree, standing alone on its own tiny, sunlit island. The dark red symbol of a claw has been painted onto the side of the trunk, and a pile of humanoid and animal skulls has been built around the base of the tree. Painted bones hang from the branches and clack together in the wind like an awful wind chime, and scraps of bloodstained cloth flutter like little flags. All the surrounding trees seem to have been deliberately cleared away from the surrounding area. Crossing this way will leave you exposed to anyone watching, though you don't see anyone right now.

On the opposite side, three more bridges lead away from the tree running towards the East, South-East and ESE into the forest. Syli thinks she catches a glimpse of something glowing faintly in the woods to the south-west, but when she looks again it's gone...

-----------------------------------------------------

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:24 pm

Varsk has a fair amount of experience in cutting things just right.

Dex: 1d20+3= 21

"So who wants to go first.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:28 pm

...That is a really scary thing to say :lol: ((how many of these bridges are you sabotaging?))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:50 pm

Gwen tries to sneak across. stealth: 1D20+3 = [17]+3 = 20

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:03 pm

If you're crossing the bridge, you won't be able to stealth over. It's a rope bridge crossing an open space for 100 feet and there's just no cover.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:39 pm

"Hrm, looks like we're getting close to... Something. Are we ready to be seen?"
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:41 pm

Gwen will go first. before she does so, her features seem to twist and turn. Merhiv has seen this before when she read the book, but instead of constant change it quickly settles to a lizard person, slightly taller than Gwen. She has green scales with a reddish tint to them. Her clothes form a robe to cover up the fact she lacks a tail and a more rustic backpack.
"How do I look?"
"How do I ssssound? Mehriv, could you pleasse tell me thessse following phrasssess in draconic? I can underssstand them by cassssting sssomething but I cannot ssspeak it. Phrasses: Hello, Goodbye, sssssir, mam, from other camp, I do not know, Sssyline. Lassst one will be cover name. I hope that will get me to fake it."
Gwen casts comprehend languages and once Merhiv tells her the phrases, she crosses the bridge, disguised.