The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:18 pm

"Can't say I have much to call my own, this venture is a bit of a new start for a few of us, but either way I tend to pack light. Though now I suppose I own two shirts, though this one doesn't fit quite right. Don't suppose you'd be interested in taking it in partial trade? Nothing fancy, but quality is decent."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:39 pm

"You sure you don't want to keep it? Well, throw it in the bargain bin, and whatever it sells for I'll take off your debt!"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:15 pm

"Well...that was a waste of time. What did you find?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:42 pm

"Fair enough. We thank you for your conversation and refreshment, and look forward to stopping by once we return... Oh, I don't suppose you have any tools for sale... files, pliers and the like?"

((He said something regarding partial payment now?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:06 pm

The shopkeeper raises an eyebrow.

"Lad, if you've got money for tools, you've got money for that shirt. And if you don't have money for the short, I've got no tools for you. Don't push your luck, my boy!

Anyway, you come by once you get home again safe and we'll see what we can do for you."

((Yes, he'll be looking for half payment now, so that's probably 25cp. I've forgotten exactly, but it was something like 5sp for the shirt I think.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:39 pm

"Nothing much. I worked out the bird, and since then we've just been staring at these gems and jewelry without learning much."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:42 am

"Oh no, not for now. I'll just be looking once I've a bit of coin, and would rather give you the business than someone else, since you've been so kind."
thinkslogically wrote: It's currently for sale at 5cp.
I hand him 3 copper?

((I'm fine with it being silver if that was the intent. The whole reason I asked about putting it on the company tab is that I feel they owe me for not getting my shirt back in the first place. Sticking them for 2 copper isn't much of a rebellious act...))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:06 am

((Nah, it was right the first time :) thanks for checking, I'm still stuck on my phone for a bit which is a pain. ))

He will happily take the 3cp and marks your remaining 2cp in a ledger book.

Ok, so what's the plan for the evening? What are you guys packing /wearing /leaving and are you giving Otho any instructions for while you're gone?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:18 am

((I want to take a quick peek at his jobs board, then back to the shop, if asked, spend some time appraising the stuff we got to hopefully help give Otho an idea what to ask for anything we are selling... could he help appraise stuff as a comparatively trained shopkeep? I'd like to also stash the love letters and arrow... perhaps under a loose floorboard or the like. I'll guess I'll pack up the rest of my stuff to take with us. ))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:42 am

Ok, sounds good :)

The next major update will be on the boat, so I just want to make sure you guys have done everything you want tonight before you go. You'll probably be out of town for a little while.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:49 am

((Don't recall what the result of his looking was, but if Mehr mentions anything about needing a particularly sized diamond for the future, I'd be on the look out for that when going through the gems.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:54 am

Mehr'll be leaving behind ten torches and a dagger. He'll be asking for appraisal of all our loot, and if there's anything suitable for magic (ie. a large-ish diamond), take an interest in that.

(I... Don't recall there being a result.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:06 am

Oh, sorry! You don't find a large-enough diamond amongst the loot to be useful.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:03 am

Korrik settles his bill, and heads back to the shop, briefly pausing to check the noticeboard. The notes read:

1. Wanted: Unusual animals for exciting research project! Contact Borden Greenfellow at the Alchemists guild.

2. Open bounty: The council of Hightown is offering a reward of 5GP per proven kill of the reptilian savages inhabiting the wildlands in the east. Competent hunters may apply for a permit at the Hall of Records.

3. To whoever stole my handcart: Return it to where you took it from or else!!

4. Laborers needed! Contact Frel Hopper at the Redgate Warehouse before dawn. Wages: 5sp/day.

--------------

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:21 am

Syli thanks Otho, then, if there's nothing else, heads to the Gloriana to spend the night on board.
► Show Spoiler
EDIT: Modified spell list for boat ride.
Last edited by Nioca on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:30 pm

The party finish up their business for the night, and return to the store. They pack their things, and leave Otho with instructions on how to sell their new treasures while they are out of town. Korrik finds an opportunity to hide the arrowhead high in the rafters while "double-checking the roof".
► Show Spoiler
Finally, the party head out into the evening, leaving their new store and business manager behind as they begin the long walk back through the southern docks and waterfront to the swing-bridge and back towards the Merchant Quarter to the northern docks. The night is pleasantly warm and clear, and the streets around the Merchant Quarter are relatively busy, as people make their way between cafes and restaurants; lovers walk arm-in-arm; groups of friends laugh loudly at shared jokes; guards keep watchful eyes over the few street-vendors and the occasional well-dressed drunk, stumbling home.

Continuing onwards to the docks, the party pass a number of beautifully-crafted ships. Although none of you have any particular knowledge of ship-building, these vessels are a far cry from the trade schooners, ferries and fishing boats docked on the southern side of the river in the main port. These ships by comparison seem to be the trade fleets of wealthy merchants and smaller, but no less opulent vessels that look to have been built for speed. One vessel named the Sula, has a great bird carved over the prow and strains at her ropes in the night so she looks almost ready to take flight across the ocean if someone would just untie her. The attentive guards nod respectfully as the party approach and allow them entry, chain mail clinking gently beneath their silk tunics, as they raise their halberds to allow the group to pass by. Like the ships, these guards are a far cry from their lazy counterparts in the Poor Quarter.

Finally, the group reaches the Gloriana, which has been tied up a few berths down from the Iskat. Guards stand watch on the gangways leading to both boats, but while the Iskat is dark and deserted, lights shine from the Gloriana's cabins and a number of lanterns cast a yellow glow across her decks. A lone figure is standing near the prow, watching the water and apparently lost in thought.

The guard in the gangway looks up as you approach.

"Good evening, sirs and ladies. Can I help you?"

It is about 11pm
Last edited by thinkslogically on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:35 pm

((I think we would have told him not to mess around in the basement with the rats...))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:36 pm

((That's probably for the best :) ))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:44 pm

(I think we should not sell the bird just yet since it might belong to a noble. Also might be useful.)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:17 pm

(Can we replay the last message the bird carried?)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:39 pm

(only if you match the description of the intended recipient. Cool idea tho...)

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:46 pm

"Maybe. You got a bunch of free stuff to give away to needy elves?" Syli asks of the guard. "Or, if not that, can you let us through so I can go bug Raina for a bit?"
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Nioca on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:48 pm

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:01 pm

"We were invited to ride on this ship from the owner for a trip down the river. I think..."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:33 pm

"Ah yes. Please, go ahead. Lady Ambershard is in her quarters below decks. She has been expecting you."

The guard steps aside to allow the group (minus Darruk of course) to board the ship.