The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Dlover » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:07 am

Mehr retreats down the path at full pace, given the warnings from multiple party members. Even if he hasn't heard anything himself, this is what he hired them for.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:14 am

If everyone is retreating, Kal will come along as rear guard.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:48 am

Varsk and Mehriv retreat down the path, putting distance between them and whatever might be coming.

Syli is up.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:38 am

Syli climbs back down to ground level and darts through the underbrush in a frantic feline retreat

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:43 am

Syli climbs out of her tree and plops to the ground, retreating with the others. Kal brings up the rear, and the group hurry back towards the river as another, much louder "Awroooooooorrrrrrrrr!" sounds from the clearing.

---------------------------------

Happily though, nothing follows them back and the party return to the stinky snake carcass and then to the river without incident.

((It is around 2.30pm and we're off turn order))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:04 pm

Varsk glances back the way they came before strongly urging (if even needed) that they start putting more distance between themselves and the clearing. He will pause long enough to note the orange cat and missing Syli before putting two and two together and starting to head himself, leading the way if needed.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:18 pm

Gwen tries tqo find an alternative path to thier destination.

Surv: 1D20+3 = [14]+3 = 17
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:21 pm

Ok- What is your intended destination and how alternative do you want this path to be?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:46 pm

Uhhh, well I was hoping to find an alternative around the swamp that is now owl bear infested, twoard we are supposed ro find Varsk's group.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:57 pm

Well this whole continent is basically swamp (except the uplands far to the east) so there's not really a way to avoid it. Have a look at the map of the family territories in the second post of the OOC. Gwen studied that before you guys left, so she'd know it pretty well given her background.

To help you orient, you disembarked on the main river near lovers pass, and have been following the south bank east for a day and a half. You've just crossed a small, non-acid tributary leading into the main river.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:13 pm

Okay, um...I think we are past the black mark on the river near lover's pass? I think northeast or southeast look fine but I am not sire, that's why I rolled surv. Is there a trail or something we can follow for a ahile? Even a deer's trail woukld be good since we know it would be relitivly safe.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:16 pm

Well, you've been following the river as your major landmark so far. If you move away from that, you'll risk getting lost in the trees while trying to find your way. Its totally possible though, and yes, you could probably find a deer trail or something similar to follow (if you're happy to trust that the animals know where they're going :) )

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:26 pm

Hmm, I want to be sonewhat near the river still, so continue to follow the river for a bit until we find a better clearing?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:01 pm

Sure thing. The survival roll is good for that, so we'll move on tomorrow if there's no more actions in the meantime.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:01 pm

Finding a side trail could help, but here's the thing... That lake was part of Syli running off away from the river. So if we just follow the river it doesn't put us there.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:06 pm

((Not sure I understand... You ended up at the Lizard Pond because you wandered off upstream a bit after finding a place to ford the tributary that was blocking your journey along the main river)).

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:14 pm

Oooh! So we are still on the west part of the river? Is that part southeast of lever's pass? Why did we go there when the brisge seems to be north?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:17 pm

((Because you're aiming for the Morley territory))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:07 pm

Well, it seemed like that pond was away from the river a bit, so do we actually need to find an alternate path? Wouldn't following the main river still be safe?
My game:

My characters:

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:09 pm

Syli cat follows along with the group, tail swishing lazily as she sniffs the air and looks about the forest from her new feline perspective. She's content to simply follow for the time being with however they want to handle what comes next.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:13 pm

((I understand. Yes, following the river would be as safe an idea today as it was yesterday and you won't risk getting lost.

Syli's got about half an hour or so left of being a cat.))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:20 am

So I guess we are continuing to move up river to the Morley's, right?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:39 am

The party return to the river and continue following it upstream.

The rest of the day and night passes uneventfully* as Gwen leads everyone upstream to a nice, secluded area to make camp. Kal is able to find enough Lemonleaf that the party are able to keep the worst of the biting insects away and gives you all a pleasant citrusey, smoky aroma that at least partly covers the smell of five sweaty travellers.

The next day, you leave early, and eventually reach a major fork in the river by late afternoon. You remember that the river branch running south from here should lead past Fort Oakwell and onwards to the Ambershard and Ridgeway territories. If you follow the main river channel onwards to the east, you know that you should eventually reach a southern-flowing waterway that will lead you into Morley lands and your intended destination. Nonetheless, the effects of the acid are starting to take their toll, and by the afternoon your eyes are all red and stingy and your exposed skin is starting to itch. Any exposed metal is starting to lose its shine.

The river banks here are steep and rocky, dropping into the deep, green waters beneath. No vegetation grows within 20 feet of either bank, and the ground of the banks is just baked, cracked dirt. A long rope bridge (c. 200 feet long) hangs 30 feet over the river between two tall trees, but looks to be in a state of some disrepair. Some of the planks of wood look to have been scorched and broken, and one of the four supporting ropes has broken, leaving the bridge twisted and swaying dangerously in the afternoon breeze.

Following the line of the bridge back into the trees, you find the main anchor tree about 30 feet back from the bank. It appears to be taller and healthier than the surrounding trees, and a rope ladder hangs down from the branches above, leading up to a wide platform between the boughs where you can access the bridge.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* I'll take a dream roll for Gwen please :)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:49 am

visions: 1D20 = [8] = 8

Gwen looks at the bridge and then glances at Syli briefly before looking at Korrik. "Since you are lighter,very acrobatic do you think you can check the bridge to see if it's safe enough for us to cross?"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:56 am

► Show Spoiler