The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by WearsHats » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:41 pm

Disadvantage sucks.

Second round of rolls:

Nature: 1D20+3 = [5+3] = 8
Survival: 1D20+3 = [17+3] = 20
Investigation 1D20+1 = [9+1] = 10

The one place I rolled well this time is the one place I crit failed last time. Ah well.

So that brings it down to:
Nature: 8
Survival: 4
Investigation: 10

Assuming it's not a problem to be rolling all those at once. And that those are the appropriate things to have rolled.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:43 pm

((I was trying to have Korrik help you to negate disadvantage.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:20 pm

((Got it! Sorry, I didn't realise there were so many posts on the last page :) Will update tomorrow))

PS: Someone in the druid group can go ahead and give me a survival roll to see if you can figure out the approximate distance you've traveled between the rainbow forest and the clearing so far.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:53 pm

Syli ponders the group's travel time.

Survival (+3): 17

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:20 am

"I can see well enough in the dark." He will glance back at Gwen's being able to see in the dark. How human is she actually...

But not well enough to find a place to sleep tonight, crit fail: 3.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:30 am

Druid Group

As night falls, Mehriv casts light on his wand to shed a little light on their surroundings as they walk. The light shines brightly around the group, and Gwen is left with the very weird sensation of being able to see perfectly well around her, except within a 20ft band of dim light around the edge of Mehriv's spell. It's weird.

Syli estimates that it took around 4 hours to travel from the rainbow forest to the clearing. Assuming that was one "mark" on the crude set of directions, she guesses it has probably brought them around 4 or 5 miles through the forest. If 2 marks is double the distance, they might make it to the pool by around midnight, depending on how hard it ends up being to find.

Gwen, Varsk and Mehriv scan around for somewhere to take shelter for the night, but the forest is fairly open here. It's dry ground, and perfectly suitable for making camp, but they'd be in the open.

------------------------------------------------

Lizard group

Korrik and Kal are the first to start investigating what's happened here. Kal's stomach complains angrily, but with Korrik's help, he's able to ignore it a bit and focus. The first thing he notices is that the smouldering hummock is not actually a hill... It looks more like a wild pile of vegetation, but it doesn't look right. In fact, the more they look, the more it doesn't really seem to be attached to the ground at all and - Is that a mouth? Whatever this is, it seems to be some sort of enormous creature with holes burned through it somehow.

Inside the largest smouldering hole, the pair spy more digesting corpses, and a the glint of glass and metal. Something inside the hole seems to be sputtering and trying to spark into flames, but the digestive juices keep putting it out.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:17 am

"Ugh, what is that thing?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:30 pm

"It's not an ideal location, but it seems like the lizards don't come this way, and if we continue much farther we'll not be well rested tomorrow. I suggest we start setting up camp."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:55 pm

Varsk will take a glance around.

"Fine. Be a lot harder for things to sneak up on us here. I can take first watch. Probably should have a dark camp. Don't attract more attention. You can turn of yer night light for now."

He will then busy himself with building a bit of a blind around a tree using fallen branches and larger leaves so that they can see out of it but would be hard(er) to see them. He will also cover their tracks hundred or so feet from the blind. Once satisfied with that he will make himself comfortable in the blind and start watching while he munches on his rations.

Setting up camp: 21
First watch preception: 14

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:43 pm

"Little exposed for my taste, but it beats last night. I'll take second watch." Syli comments. As Varsk starts to set up camp, Syli scouts the perimeter, looking for any edible plants or fruit that could be safely eaten raw to bolster whatever Gwen has managed to gather, before settling in for the night.

Syli [rolls]
--Foraging with Survival (+3): 19
--Second Watch (+5): 24

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:47 pm

((Nice rolls! I'll let Gwen and Mehriv decide which watches they're taking (Mehriv will need light tho I guess) then we'll move you guys along.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:27 pm

"I guess I will take third." Per: 1D20+1 = [16]+1 = 17

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:27 pm

Mehr will go... Last, I guess.

Perception (+1): 10
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:59 pm

I apparently got the disadvantage syntax wrong. But if I've got help, I'm not sure if it matters.

First set

Second set

Nature: 19+3=22, 4+3=7
Perception: 10+1=11, 10+1=11

"You... uh... don't think it's... *cough*... a dragon... do you?"
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:21 pm

((I'll continue to help, if I can.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:04 pm

((yup, helping is totally fine. Will update tomorrow))

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:57 am

((You did it the opposite way Wears, it's supposed to be 2d20.LOW(1)+x :) ))

"I really hope the true god isn't looking for whatever this is.. I didn't imagine it would be this.. interesting from the initial smell."

Merric will look around trying to see any "friendly" animals but is likely having a hard time as his eyes water in an attempt to protect themselves from the nasty in the air and his occasional cough/gagging spouts.

Merric perception: 1D20+1 = [8]+1 = 9
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:30 am

Druid Group
The group decode that wandering through the night is probably not the best idea, and decide to make camp. Varsk finds a decent, sheltered spot in amongst some trees where the ground is dry and fairly soft, and they set out their things to sleep. Varsk also pulls together some foliage and the like to make a low blind. It isn't much, but it should keep them hidden from casual passers by.

Without a fire, their meal is a quiet, cold affair, but Syli and Gwen are able to find some sweet berries and filling fruits for everyone to complement their other supplies.

After that, the group turn in and Varsk takes first watch. The forest here seems to be full of life and noise. Fireflies float between the trees, cicadas chirp and bats flit between the branches overhead. At some point, he hears a loud cracking sound, like a branch being broken, but he doesn't see anything...

--------------------

Lizard group

Kal wonders out loud about it being a dragon, but it's really not right for that. Besides, fire is a trait of red dragons, and this looks more like a wildly-overgrown compost heap than a powerful, proud lizard. The smoke and flames are weird, but he just can't see inside the creature well enough to work out what's causing it before the smoke and stench force him back. Just then, there's a loud pop from inside one of the holes, and what sounds like breaking glass.

Merric looks around for any friendly animals, but is utterly put off by the sight of a writhing nest of millipedes slumping out from under the giant mound of rotting vegetation and he feels his stomach lurch violently.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:00 am

"It looks like there are bodies inside... there might be clues... or gear that would be useful, but I don't relish crawling in to find it. Then there's the question of what was able to kill whatever this was."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:05 pm

((Just to check, does Varsk want to act on the noise or ignore it?))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:04 am

((Sorry, wasn't sure if it was something that just passed or if it was actionable. Do I need to roll something?))

Varsk will nudge awake the rest of team and whisper,

"Somethin's out there makin' noise. Maybe in a tree? Could be nothin' but... "

He will indicate the direction he heard the noise come from.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:44 am

((Depends what you want to do really. You're fine for now.))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:06 am

((Let's say he is really focused on not getting eaten for now :)))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:35 am

When Mehr wakes up he is completely blind, and leaves the looking to people who can see, while opting to not make everyone an easy target.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:14 am

((I'll take perception checks from the folk who just woke up if you're looking around.

What are the lizard team doing?))