The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Theis2 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:42 am

I GOT A 5! DID YOU HEAR ME I GOT A 5!"

Merric skips lightly after the others, not really aware of anything besides the fancy fey forest. This results in him falling into one of the "knee deep" holes, except they don't really accommodate to halfling heights..

"Pfffffttt! Awwww, this isn't good water.. or is it?"

Merric gets himself a little taste beyond what accidently got in his mouth when he fell in. He promptly spits it out again though.

"Nope, definitely not good, the true god wouldn't approve of this."

Merric perception: 1D20+1 = [7]+1 = 8
Merric stealth: 1D20+3 = [2]+3 = 5

Damn you guys for taking all the good rolls!
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:39 am

(Can you reroll that? I forget how that deal works for you.)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:41 am

((Halflings get re rolls on 1s, not sure what else Merric is working with.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:18 pm

Nope, the number 2 is the ultimate bane of halfling luck sadly.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:09 pm

The group head deeper into the (normal) forest, taking their time to move slowly and cautiously. Gwen manages to keep the rope bridges just in view as she follows them towards the south-east. Kal questions her directions a couple of times when he spots similar vines leading further to the left, but Gwen is sure she knows where she is.

A few minutes go by before Varsk grabs Gwen's arm and indicates for the group to stop, pointing to a pair of lizardfolk scouts or guards hurrying to the north-west.

Merric doesn't notice the guards and is surprised at Varsk's sudden alarm, which causes him to stumble into a deep pool with a loud splash. The scouts shout an alarm and stop abruptly, but luckily Merric's companions are paying attention. Kal grabs Merric and hauls him bodily out of the pool and behind a tree trunk, shoving his arm over Merric's mouth to smother his complaints about the water not being any good. There are a tense few seconds while the scouts scan the area from their vantage point, but seem to dismiss the disturbance and soon hurry away.

The next couple of hours pass in a similarly tense manner, with the group taking regular pauses to duck out of sight of pairs of guards (with only a couple of false alarms), stumble over tangled tree roots and into muddy pools of swamp water, and constantly curse the various biting insects that seem to be enjoying the sudden appearance of seven soft-skinned meals. Compared to the rope-bridges, this method of swamp travel sucks. Still, as you progress onwards, you notice that the largest trees are increasingly marked with the same bloodied clawprints and red cloth ties that you saw at the first guard post. Some trees are also decorated with humanoid skulls and the bones of large animals and lizardfolk.

However, scattered amongst the swamp pools you also notice the weathered, partially-submerged remains of grey stone walls and scattered lumps of cut stone jutting from the ground. They are about the size that humanoids use to build dwellings from, but these are long-abandoned and collapsed and little if anything remains of their original design. If there are other ruins around, maybe they can be of some use as shelter for the night? Gwen estimates that they have probably only traveled a couple of miles in the last two hours, and that they probably only have another couple of hours or so of daylight remaining, but it's been a while since they've had a clear view of the sky and it's hard to guess.

A single short horn blast echoes from far off to your left side and interrupts the relative quiet, surprising a group of birds and sending one fluttering and squawking right into the sticky grasp of a rather large spider web in the branches above.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by thinkslogically on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:29 pm

Gwen speaks quietly "Hopefully that means it's safe and for them to return. We only have a couple hours of sun left, and unless we make a light show and expose ourselves,
we would have to find another place to sleep at. Or make one"

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:48 pm

"This is probably the best place to stop, then. Cold camp today, I think, this deep in enemy territory. I'll take first watch."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:03 pm

"Don't you think we ought to find somewhere with some shelter? We don't want to get stumbled upon while we sleep... Or get eaten by insects again."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:15 pm

"These ruins may well be the only shelter we can find. Do we want to risk having none at all?"
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:24 pm

I'll take survival and/or investigation checks if you're scoping the ruins for a place to stop and other checks as desired for doing other things :)

The ruins here are not suitable shelter for the night though - they're smallish (1-2 foot high) collapsing walls, but they're in flooded ground so it would make for a thoroughly miserable campsite. It'd give you full cover if you lay down behind it, but otherwise it's probably more of a trip hazard than anything else.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:28 pm

"Well, if you lay down across the rubble, Merric and I might be able to shelter underneath..."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:31 pm

Gwen goes to try to find a more suitible shelter nearby. survival: 1D20+3 = [17]+3 = 20

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:20 am

Varsk will move over to ruins and look for anything resembling writing/markings on it as well as anything that may have some value. He will leave the camp finding to those with a more experience.

Investigation: 18

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:54 am

"We can go on a little further. We can always set up camp in a tree. I've done that often enough when I was out with my mother."

Still, Kal looks around for a good place to set up nearby.

Survival: 1D20+3 = [11]+3 = 14
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:15 am

Merric will look at the ruins, trying to remember or have his god magically give him the knowledge of what used to be here and why it is gone. He can't help but be slightly fascinated by the bird stuck in the web.

"Think the big spider web is from a huuuge spider? Maybe it wants to help and try a taste of scaled man instead of the bird it just caught?

We could also help the bird and then it will help us knowing about scaled ones?"

Merric will cast speak with animals in anticipation.

Merric investigation: 1D20+3 = [11]+3 = 14
Merric history: 1D20+3 = [15]+3 = 18
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:57 am

Syli assists in finding shelter, looking specifically for ground-based shelter, or a way to create one. "Setting up in the base of a tree is fine, but we don't want to be up a tree," Syli calls softly to Kal. "Odds are too great they'll stumble across us if we do, since they're actively looking for us now."

-Survival (+3): 20

EDIT: It helps to actually include the roll. *facepalm*

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:31 pm

Merric and Varsk look around the ruins with interest. The stonework he can see looks well-enough made, but it's plain and undecorated, suggesting they probably served a purely practical purpose. He doesn't recognise their origins, but really, they're just blocks of stone and there doesn't seem to be anything very unique about them. The direction they're scattered in leads off towards the east.

The spider catches Merric's interest instead soon enough, and he casts speak with animals in preparation for whatever's about to go down. The bird's panicking shrieks translate immediately in his mind, and he hears it crying out desperately for help.

Led by Gwen, the others scout the ruins and manage to piece together a rough idea of the building's plan. As far as they can piece together, it looks like it might have once been some sort small croft or cottage, surrounded by a small exterior wall. Following the wall to the east leads you to more substantial ruins and larger piles of tumbled stone, until you come over the top of a small rise and find the top of a collapsed tower lying on it's side in the depression of a small rocky cliff. The roof timbers are mostly rotted, but there's enough structure left that the walls and part of the tiled roof have formed a small "cave" that you could potentially shelter in, and there are enough stone blocks to make a decent "floor".

Another single, short horn blast sounds again, much closer this time, and the afternoon rain begins to pour.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:40 pm

Staff at the ready, I take a peek inside the ruined tower, to make sure it's safe.

Perception: 1D20+2 = [7]+2 = 9

"Looks good guys, lets get out of the rain!"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:30 pm

Korrik hurries into the shelter, such as it is. It takes his eyes a few seconds to adjust to the dim light inside, but it seems decent enough. It's about to flood unless you can find something to cover the roof, and you could definitely do with putting some padding down on the floor if you don't want to spend the night with bits of stone jabbing into you uncomfortably through the night. Still, it doesn't look too shabby, and if you can disguise it like you disguised the cave last night, it might even keep you safe for the night.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:08 am

"... Any clues how we can hide these ruins?"
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:13 am

"There is various branches and stuff floating around we can cover it with, hun."
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:52 am

"Covering something this size with branches would probably look a tad unnatural."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:41 am

Varsk sets about finding blocks of stone and swamp debris that he can use to to cover up the entrance of the tower cave in way that looks like things have just grown there or fallen. He is largely unsuccessful (surv. 7) in the rain though and instead tries to find something not too attention grabbing to cover the roof so it doesn't flood but doesn't spot much.

Muttering he goes into the cave and finds a relatively dry spot hoping someone with a bit more experience with camping figures this out.

Perception: 9

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:10 am

Merric will look a bit around for food and shelter for himself. He'll utilize the rain and take out his wood bowl and drink from it often.

"Any of you guys have food or should I ask if there is a pig that wants to join us? Also why are you actually out here? You've never told me that."
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:02 am

"Says the madman who didn't explain why and how he was out here."