The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Nioca
Floods your Ears

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Nioca » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:54 pm

((Don't want to go meta here and choreograph Syli's next move, but keep in mind that she's planning to cut and run herself, so running up next to her probably isn't the best idea))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:56 pm

((you're welcome to say that IC if you want. Talking is free as long as you're not trying to give a lengthy speech :)))

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:01 pm

(Can we get a rough map, please? I think Kal is going to move next to Syli and Bless her, himself, and whoever else is in range, but I'm not sure that works because we're scattered. Unless he uses Bless first and then moves. Him firing with his bow is one of the things I was considering, so that's fine. I'm less sure about him backing away at full speed, leaving Syli alone. But it's my nephew's birthday today so I'm going to be AFK this evening. So... Bless if that makes sense, move next to Syli, and get to chopping and shielding.

If Syli is retreating, he'll go shoulder to shoulder with her so he can shield, possibly Bless, and heal her if necessary.

At least backing down the path should make it harder for them to surround us. We might be able to force them to come at us one at a time.)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:03 pm

((I can't do a map until I get home tonight, but I'll see what I can whip up for you. It won't be pretty, but hopefully will help!))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:03 pm

((Wasn't planning on doing that, I figured at this point we are pretty much doing a fighting retreat. ;) ))

Varsk squints and lets fly again choosing to target the second lizard closest to Syli in the hopes that someone else will finish off the first one before moving quickly towards the river.

The shot: 18
The damage: 7

((Sorry for the delay in getting this move done, trying to visual the battle field))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:19 pm

((yeah me too! Basically, imagine a 10-foot wide path of trampled mud and debris leading roughly north, back to the river. To the south of you, there is a trampled clearing (c. 100 feet diameter) with a small pond in it (c. 30 - 50 feet across). The clearing currently contains 5 large, grumpy lizards. Everything else is trees and tangled scrub (difficult terrain). The path back to the snake corpse took you about ten minutes to travel down slowly, so let's call it 600 feet away (10 rounds dashing). Does that help?))

Varsk let's fly another arrow, piercing the thick hide of the other lizard that's close to Syli.

Mehriv is up, then Syli.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:36 pm

((Heading to bed, Varsk will continue to shoot at the lizards in range and nearest Syli, preference to those looking the worst and moving back.
Shot: 11
in the off chance that hits damage: 3))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:46 pm

WearsHats wrote:If Syli is retreating, he'll go shoulder to shoulder with her so he can shield, possibly Bless, and heal her if necessary.
Didn't you empty your healing pool on Korrik?
Arch Lich Burns wrote:Gwen eldrich blasts the lizard and backs up!
Your a tank! Stop putting everyone in front of you! >.> :p
I make those faces, but I'm serious. You have the second highest health of all the party, and at least a degree of armour, so you're far more able to handle a couple of hits than, say, Syli, who is in melee range and you are running away from.

Mehr shoots at the weakened one with another Ray of Frost.
To-hit: 14+5=19
Damage: 7
And if it survivees, -10' to its movement range for one round.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:50 pm

Mehriv aims a blast expertly past his companions and blasts the weak one with another Ray of Frost, killing it!

(Retconing the update from here because I missed Syli :tfacepalm:)

Syli casts thunderwave, blasting the three closest lizards (and the surrounding forest) with a thunderous explosion. The recently-deceased lizard is blasted back ten feet, rolling onto its back.

The closest living lizard keeps its footing, but the two further back are knocked away from her.
Syli turns into a cat and nopes out. The closest lizard snaps at the fleeing cat, but misses, jaws closing harmlessly around the space where elf-Syli was standing.

---------------------------------

Not quite my finest map, but hopefully this gives you an idea of where stuff is. Korrik is currently hidden:

Last edited by thinkslogically on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:00 pm

((How tall are these trees... and do these things look like they could climb them?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:11 pm

Kal casts bless on himeslf, Cat-Syli and Varsk (by virtue of being next closest), and puts himself closest to the lizards to shield the others as they all retreat.

Bless: Whenever a target makes an attack roll or a saving throw before the spell ends, the target can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the attack roll or saving throw. The spell lasts a minute or until Kal loses concentration

--------------------------------

The lizard closest to the group continues its charge down the path, reaching Kal (but not attacking). The other two lizards move to teh top of the path, but seem somewhat more cautious about pursuing the group.

The lizard in the pond lazily drags itself out of the water onto the bank, plodding slowly towards the crowd of lizards and people to the north.

----------------------

Korrik is up.

The lizards have made no attempt to climb the trees yet as far as you've seen (I'll take a nature check). The trees reach up to about 10-20 feet from the ground. They're pretty densely packed, but they would be easy for someone like Korrik to climb.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by thinkslogically on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:14 pm

((How far am I from the nearest lizard?))
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:15 pm

You're about 40 feet away.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:19 pm

I'd suggest that these lizards are too large and the trees too small for them to climb.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:24 pm

Hmmm... I'll move forward 15 ft through the trees (taking 30 ft of move to do it), and try to get to a spot where I have a decently unobstructed shot at the lead one? Like close to the edge of the tress? Then hold an attack action to fling two darts at the one closest to me at the end of their turn? ((Not sure if that is more meta of a trigger than you are comfortable with, but they will be a bit outside my first range increment, so I'd like to wait until they come closer, if the front line retreats and they follow, but still attack at my long range increment if they don't come closer...))

Nature: Trees and lizards?: 1D20 = [15] = 15
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:27 pm

► Show Spoiler
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:28 pm

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:33 pm

((Er, you skip someone there, Thinks? Syli didn't take her action last round yet. :P ))

As the lizards all attempt to pounce, Syli falls back onto plan B. Her totem glowing brightly, she murmurs a harsh incantation. The glow transfers to Syli's body just as she utters the final syllable as a deafening, thunderous clap, turning bones of prior meals into deadly shrapnel that precedes a powerful concussive blast that threatens to knock everything around her into the air!

During the chaos, Syli shifts back into her feline form, and quickly attempts to dart away into the trees and underbrush to conceal her tiny form from the ravenous lizards

--Thunderwave (Con DC13): All creatures/objects in 15ft cube take 12 thunder damage (save for half) and thrown 10ft away from caster.
--Wildshape: Syli turns into a Cat

((Do you want a stealth roll too, or no? Also, hoping the closest lizard fails its save [or dies], since that means avoiding an AoO))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:40 pm

...ummm... Yes. Apparently I totally did skip Syli. Sorry! Let me edit the last update so we don't end up horribly confused.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:57 pm

Ok, that was complicated, but I think it's fixed. If you guys see any glaring errors let me know. If it looks ok, that brings the front lizard into Korrik's range so he can make his attacks without needing to ready anything.

Now. Let's have perception checks from everyone

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:03 pm

Syli Perception (+5): 12

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:07 pm

per: 1D20-1 = [13]+1 = 14 OOPS I put in the wrong modifier, it's a +1, I edited this post to reflect that.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:09 pm

Perception: 1D20+2 = [6]+2 = 8

I fling my first dart at the lizard in the front...
... then flick the other dart at it as well.
((If I didn't have to spend all of my movement to get to where I've got him in range, I'd have pulled up, thrown, then gotten as far back as I can.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:09 pm

I think Syli's action would've been from last round, putting it before Mehr's latest action? So the Shock Wave would have gone before the Ray of Frost, jostles damage around a little since Syli's spell would've killed the lizard, then the Ray of Frost would target another.

Per: 11
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:11 pm

((I think that part's ok - Mehr comes just before Syli in the initiative order:

Korrik <--
Gwen
Varsk
Mehriv
Syli
Kal
Lizards))