The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon May 22, 2017 9:45 pm

"Well, a spare might mean they don't notice right away, but might mean they change the locks too... I don't suppose you happened to notice any markings that looked like this?"

I sketch a quick version of this symbol with the butt of my quarterstaff before obfuscating it with my foot.

► Show Spoiler
"Trash delving sounds just fine to me, lead the way!"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue May 23, 2017 6:09 pm

Korrik bemoans the high levels of supervision that he is subjected to compared to Syli, but is cheered up when Syli suggests that they rummage amongst the bins for two hours in the tropical afternoon heat immediately before their important meeting with the very fancy people. They head down a nearby alleyway to where the shops pile the refuse of the day and roll up their sleeves.

I will take any (and all) of investigation, dex, and stealth rolls to find stuff without alerting a crowd or covering yourselves in garbage juice.

Kal decides to spend the remainder of the day in contemplation and heads to the main shrine to relax and pray.

Mehriv decides to head to the temple almost two hours early to wait for the meeting to start. He arrives around 4.15pm...

Gwen ponders racing back to the other side of the river, but decides against it and heads over to the open space outside the temple. She doesn't see any signs of the performing area she was informed about earlier, but one of the Temple acolytes at the door helpfully points her towards a lute maker's shop about a 10 minute walk away. She is told that the proprietress organises the weekend performances in the Temple Square on behalf of the council.

--------------------------------------------

((If you guys are about done with your day we can fast-track your current events and jump to the start of the Council Meeting if you like?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue May 23, 2017 6:21 pm

Yay! Mediocre to subpar!
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Tue May 23, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue May 23, 2017 6:29 pm

Gwen goes to the lute maker's shop and apply to perform for a weekend if possible.

After this yea I'll head to the temple and try to see if Thaq is there.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue May 23, 2017 9:41 pm

Syli dives in like the seasoned dumpster-diving professional she is, easily navigating the nastiest of it. Unfortunately, she doesn't have much success in locating much of value...

Syli Dumpster Diving... [rolls]
...Investigation (+1):
...Dexterity (+3): 21
...Stealth (+5): 22

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue May 23, 2017 10:28 pm

((I was looking at the wrong character sheet (a halfling ranger in a RL campaign), so the rolls are off a bit but I've edited my previous post.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed May 24, 2017 6:05 am

Kal is hoping (though not necessarily expecting) that, with the Radiant Mother's words and blessing, he might sense something from Pelor. He's not so presumptuous as to expect the god to speak to him directly, but he's hoping for maybe some tangential guidance or sign. He will, of course, be content to merely sort through his own thoughts in this sacred setting.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu May 25, 2017 5:09 pm

Syli manages to be virtually silent and super dexterous while she explores the bins. Unfortunately, her success is largely a result of doing a lot of peering into containers and not a lot of actual rummaging. Still, she does spot an interesting looking silver brooch amongst a pile of papers, and fishes it out. The pin is broken, but inside is a tiny, intricate painting of a silver dragonborn.

Korrik enthusiastically sets to investigating the nearest set of bins, but is apparently more concerned in staying clean than in being particularly thorough or quiet about the whole affair, and he only manages to rummage through a couple of containers before a guard comes around the corner and chases the pair away just as he picks up an old scuffed-up jewelry box. Out of the way of the guard, he checks it over. It seems to be nicely made, but it's empty and in need of some repair.

------------------------------------------

Gwen wanders off to find the lute-maker, and eventually comes across the right shop. Inside, a stern-looking half-elf woman is tapping a rod on the counter while a young human girl stumbles over some simple scales and arpeggios. After a few moments, she slams the rod down on the counter and sighs loudly, fixing the girl with a glare over the top of her half-moon glasses. A halfing, who appears to be a manservant, jumps violently at the sudden noise and bumps into a row of hanging lutes, making them reverberate chaotically. The tutor spares him a withering glare before turning back to the girl.

"You will never get better if you refuse to practice, Dorothea! Again!"

No-one pays Gwen any attention.

----------------------------------

In the temple, Kal prays. As he does so, he feels the same serenity that he felt earlier in the day as his concerns and self doubts seem to melt away. He doesn't get any particular sense that Pelor is paying him too much attention right now, but he does certainly feel better.

Kal can take advantage on a d20 roll of his choice because of his lengthy meditation. Use it like Inspiration

---------------------------------

Mehriv waits and plans for the meeting.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu May 25, 2017 5:23 pm

Gwen goes to the human girl and help her up. "Are you okay, hun?" She looks at the teacher and whispers to the woman. "It's okay. She's trying to startle you, try to keep calm and you'll find it easier than being tensed up all of the time."
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu May 25, 2017 5:50 pm

The girl doesn't fall over, and in fact seems fairly used to the treatment. She just starts over again from the beginning, clunking her way poorly through the lesson.

Gwen whispers her support to the girl while the manservant fumbles around trying to make the displayed lutes be quiet, but the girl just wrinkles her nose at the intrusion and turns away with a look of disgust.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu May 25, 2017 6:22 pm

Gwen gives a sigh but watches her for a few minutes to see if she improves.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu May 25, 2017 6:30 pm

She does not. She's quite bad at this.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu May 25, 2017 6:59 pm

Gwen gives a sigh and watches what the teacher does. Does she show the woman the correct way or is she just yekking at her?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu May 25, 2017 7:06 pm

Give me an insight check, please :)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu May 25, 2017 7:20 pm

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu May 25, 2017 7:36 pm

You suspect that this is a dance that these particular people have been performing for a while. The lazy student, the too-good-for-this-crap teacher and the... butler?

Still, looking around the shop, it seems fairly clear that the woman doesn't need to be teaching ungrateful rich kids to make a good living. Gwen wonders whose kid this is and how much their parents are paying...

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu May 25, 2017 7:54 pm

Gwen goes to the butler. "Hello sir? I heard that a proprietress set up performances for the Temple on the weekend. I was wondering if I can sign up. If not this weekend then perhaps a future weekend?" Gwen speaks loud enough for the bratwoman to hear. Maybe if she feels like she has competition she may actually try to be better.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri May 26, 2017 5:06 am

Kal rises from meditation and goes to help with temple chores. When the opportunity arises, he'll ask fellow acolytes about how the city is ruled, what would be expected of the guards should theft occur in the marketplace, and where to look for people who might want to hire the group.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri May 26, 2017 6:36 am

I'll scurry off with Syli, eventually stopping and looking the box over for any indications of its owner as we proceed towards the meeting.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat May 27, 2017 11:14 am

spiderwrangler wrote:"Well, a spare might mean they don't notice right away, but might mean they change the locks too... I don't suppose you happened to notice any markings that looked like this?"

I sketch a quick version of this symbol with the butt of my quarterstaff before obfuscating it with my foot.

► Show Spoiler
Just realised I never addressed this. I don't think Syli looked too hard at the key, but she didn't notice that sort of mark on it.

-----------------------------------

Gwen approaches the butler, and stars speaking, but is quickly 'shooshed' by the tutor.

"I am currently teaching this young lady the rudiments of lutery. If you wish to perform at the temple, you may return in the morning for auditions. Now please, we require quiet!"

Korrik checks the box, but it doesn't have any distinguishing marks that he can see. He supposes that will make it easier to upcycle.

The rest of the group finish up their various errands and head to the temple to await the meeting.

------------------------

((burns, as soon as gwen is ready we'll just move on to the evening meeting))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat May 27, 2017 12:10 pm

Gwen gives the lady a crlurtsy and heads out to the temple, trying to find the golden dragonborn in a crowd of humans. He probably sticks out like a sore thumb. She sits next to him before the meeting starts, flips to the front of the bok and takes major notes (mostly stuff she did not know sbout already)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat May 27, 2017 2:14 pm

((Ok sweet. As long as there are no more pending actions, you can all assume you've met up at the temple. I'll get you an update tomorrow morning, but if there's anything ooc you want to catch each other up on, now's your chance))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat May 27, 2017 2:35 pm

"Merhiiiv~ I found a potential job for us, hun. A thief has been going after some honey and the farmer wants us to make sure they don't try to steal it again. Reward in form of coin and a bottle of what he calls the finest mead. I've able to get some coin, I know you disliked my tastes in what I bought for the store so you can have it, hun.

I found a couple potential gigs. The first is a weekend event at the temple where they have people apply for performing. I am going to apply tomorrow morning and hopefully I can get in. The second is the Blue fox on the other side of the river. The owner's cousin said I'd get paid handsomely for performing. I know you don't want me to go for another job, darling, but we need the money for the store and I want to know what it's all about.
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat May 27, 2017 8:08 pm

"... Listen to me clearly, girl. I won't stop you from applying to perform for the temple, but you are to stay clear of anything on the poor side without having companions with you."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat May 27, 2017 8:21 pm

"Actually I was going to ask someone to come along with me. A guy that's saved my life a couple times. He'd make a fine companion.~" Gwen teases with a smirk on her face.