The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:55 am

ok, I added a wee bit more info about what you've got time to do tonight. Let me know what you guys want to do with your variously-acquired items and if there's anything you want to check out in town (e.g. find a meal / go drinking / check the noticeboard etc. etc.).

I've also added a loot section to the first post, but I'm going to assume you're also keeping track on your own sheets of who's got what.

Let me know if I've missed anything, and bear in mind that it may not be kept completely up to date all the time (especially if I'm stuck updating from my phone for a bit).

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:32 am

Dlover, were you planning on studying that statuette any further?

Also, before we move on, I would like to know what you're doing with the "treasure". The options are essentially:
1. Sell it yourselves,
2. pawn it or
3. sell it to a jeweler in the temple district.

I'm also not sure what Syli / the rest of you would like to do with the rat that appeared upstairs.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:43 am

Oh! I forgot about that! Yeah, studying the runes will be a thing. Does that need any checks, or just time? Someone can roll for me while I sleep if need be.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:47 am

Nah just time :)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:09 am

So I've PM'd LAYF and the message has sat in my outbox for a week now so I'm guessing he's not around right now.

If I don't hear otherwise soon, I'm going to leave him behind to "recover at the temple" when you guys leave for your next quest. It's just easier and he's been away now longer than I thought he'd be :) if he comes back to the forum before you guys get back to town, well figure out how to deal with it then.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:12 am

Sounds fair enough. Guess we'll have to be good enough with just paladin healing...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:45 am

Yup :lol: to be fair I was planning on giving you guys a variety of healing options anyway since being the designated healer gets pretty tiring if it wasn't what you wanted to be :)

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:50 am

*cough*Druid*cough

Although then again, Moon circle tends to involve more wolfing out and biting the heck out of everything than it does healing, but the option's still there.

(Also, I guess now is a good a time as any to start rolling on using that Herbalism kit. :lol: )

Actually, will we be recruiting another player, or just sticking with who we have now?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:09 pm

I think we'll stick with the group as-is for now although I hadn't really thought about it.

If anyone out there is interested in joining the game give me a shout via PM or in here.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:46 pm

Gwen will continue her quest to get munchies for a rodent. And go to the boat when it's time.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:00 am

Hey folks! Had a pm from Rodgeir and he's interested in joining up. He's new to 5e and I'm travelling today and at meetings for the next few so my time will be a little limited on here. If you guys can help him out with the mechanics and such that would be awesome - he needs a L2 character; no high elves, and we'll stick to the phb races/classes.

Last edited by thinkslogically on Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:26 am

Welcome Rodger! Are you new to DnD in general, or just 5e?

@Thinks, Are you having Rodger go through the same set up as the rest of us? If so...

To roll stats, go to Coyotecode and put 4d6.high(3) in the "Roll" field. This will generate an output where you can copy the "[url=........../url]" into a post as evidence of your stats.

Thinks pre-genned a list of race/class/background combinations that we chose from. Not sure if she'll have you doing the same, or if she wants to add a few to the list, but those that are crossed out are combinations already representing a party member.
► Show Spoiler
Feel free to ask any questions you have about ones that spark your interest. Some are certainly more synergistic with racial bonuses, but 5e doesn't have any racial negatives to ability, so anything is doable, depending on stat rolls you have to play with. Once you have your R/C/B, we can help work out the class and background options you have.

Some questions to help you build out your backstory:
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:34 am

Hellos to Rodger.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:06 am

@Spider: this is why you guys are awesome - I'd forgotten about the character list :) yes, the character creation should be the same process please. I don't know when I'll be able to roll replacements for the missing PC's, so let's stick with that list for now.

Edit: I believe Syli is the Wood-elf druid urchin, so that should be crossed off the list.

There's quite a lot of flexibility in where you can take the different classes, so don't worry hugely about overlapping with other players. Obviously you don't want to be a carbon copy, but there should be a bit of flexibility to double-up on classes without making yourself (or someone else) redundant.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:10 am

:D

Also, is it Rodger or Rodgier? If the former, I don't think I'm familiar with them.

Also, also... Level 2? :paranoia: o:)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:22 am

Rodgeir (he's been around for a while and was/is in the Island). I dropped my phone in the toilet two weeks ago and the new one is still autocorrecting everything I type into something wrong.

And yeah, you guys will be level 2 after your next long rest. Congratulations :) you'll also have a couple of days to come to terms with the new skills while you're on the boat.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:33 am

Yay for leveling! I've got super zooming speed now that I can move 35 ft, dash another 35 ft, and spend a ki to dash another 35 ft in one turn... 8)

Those short little legs are really moving!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:53 am

Hahaha! Awesome :)

I assume you guys are all sleeping in the shop tonight and heading to the Gloriana before dawn? I don't remember if I said you could sleep on the boat tonight or not, but that can be another option if you want.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:01 am

Thanks for the quick hellos!

I will go with the Half-Orc Fighter Urchin for the sake of diversity. I will post a backstory later tonight, I was using your (spider's) backstory as my template.

I have played no D&D ever, so probably going to need some help with pretty much everything initially.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:05 am

Excellent! I'd suggest making your rolls so you know what stats you're working with, that can occasionally inform background.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:12 am

Hi there! Once you get through character creation (and probably during, a bit), I'd recommend reading the quick-start rules. It should get you up to speed on the basics.

A quick introduction to the rest of the party, we have:
-DLover as Mehriv Turajin, a Brass Dragonborn Sorcerer Noble. The boss of the expedition and owner of our shop, and tries to wrangle the rest of us (and the rest of the world) into acting reasonably. Is obligated to pay the rest of us ( :P ). Specializes in Deception and Persuasion, with secondary skills in Insight, Intimidation, and Performance (a solid party Face if there ever was one).
-spiderwrangler as Korrik Tallpine, a Lightfoot Halfling Monk Criminal. Technically in charge of distribution, can now move unreasonably fast. Specializes in Acrobatics and Stealth, with secondary skills in Deception, Insight, and Sleight of Hand (in other words, he's also technically filling the role of the party rogue as well).
-Arch Lich Burns as Gwen, a Human Warlock Outlander. Appears to have a crush on Mehriv, and an accomplished sniper of gnomes ( :P ). Specializes in Deception, Intimidation, and Performance, with secondary skills in Acrobatics, Persuasion, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, and Survival. (So, sort of all over the place here, albeit once I get to myself, you can see I have no right to judge there).
-WearsHats as Kal, a Half-Elf Paladin Acolyte. Quiet, kind, and has thusfar not really had a chance to do any real paladin-y stuff yet. Specializes in Acrobatics, with several secondary skills in Insight, Medicine, Nature, Religion, and Survival
-Nioca as Syli, a Wood Elf Druid Urchin. Is significantly less polite than the rest of the party. Specializes in Perception, Sleight of Hand, and Stealth, with secondary skills in being a druid Acrobatics, Animal Handling, Arcana, Insight, Medicine, Nature, and Survival. (Apparently multiclassed to Bard at some point without me knowing, 'cause I hadn't even realized how many skills I had at +3 or higher :lol: )

(Mind, I determined Specialties and Secondaries strictly by modifier. When I say "Specializes in", I mean has a +5 or +6 skill modifier, while "Secondary" means a +3 or +4. Those aren't gaming terms, that's just how I'm describing it.)

So basically, we're an extremely insightful party, with no idea what happened in the past and no way to investigate it (Lots of Insight all around, but minimal History or Investigation skills). I actually did a break down of what skills everyone has at +3 or better after Darrunk (LAYF) left, to get a better idea of where we're missing out:
► Show Spoiler
I'll get some more up later, I've got work calling.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:14 am

Welcome! You'll get the hang of it as we go, I'm sure. Any questions, just ask and either we'll know or we'll figure it out together. There are some handy resources in the first page of this thread to review. You could also Google "5e phb" to find a copy of the players handbook.

As for LAYF, I told him on FB that there was no pressure, but we missed him here, and asked if he knew when he might be back.

"Not sure, dont have much time or energy lately, between the baby, two jobs and training up for the education in october (that im still awaiting answer if there is a spot in the class)
It laves little for family even less for socialicing...."

So it sounds like it'll be a while.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:36 am

We're pretty low strength party, do a beefy fighter will do nicely. There is a link to the party spreadsheet somewhere. I'll get you added in shortly.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:41 am

Oh, hey, are we rolling hitpoints, or are we just taking average? Or something else? I can't remember if we decided that or not.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:00 am

Gwen has +4 intimdate but she has cha! A lot of cha. Once I go into bard gwen will have all her skills as secondary :lol: