The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:22 pm

Sounds good to me.

Thought I'd ask here, but do you have a preference between me just trying to describe an acrobatic way of doing things, or do you rather I ask first? I'm always going to try to find a way to do it acrobatically if at all possible, as I have a 6 point difference between Athletics and Acrobatics...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:39 pm

Yeah, athletics vs acrobatics is a weird one because to do acrobatics you have to be inherently strong, just not necessarily "catch a boulder" strong, and it's a little weird that they're split how they are...

I'm largely ok with using them fairly interchangeably as long as it's feasible (or badass). The main difference I guess is that with acrobatics you can propel yourself around, but you wouldn't necessarily be much help to anyone else (e.g. catching a falling ally, tossing a dwarf, that sort of thing). Does that seem ok? Or is it unfair to the str based folk?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:54 pm

That seems reasonable to me, but I might be biased here... :)

Athletics can't really be replaced for swimming and straight up jumping, so there's still that. Or dwarf tossing (ooo, halfling tossing might work better, especially if I can Acrobatics check my landing... :D anyone feeling like tossing a 40lb weight?).
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:00 pm

Well, you're in good company. LAYFs the only one with strength above 10 :lol:

So, I'll let him weigh in, but otherwise I'm happy just to let you guys do cool things if they're plausible.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:05 pm

40 pounds? Sure....
Need a strength check for that :P
-Best regards LAYF

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:11 pm

Well, 38lbs naked but I don't really need armor or weapons. Staff boosts damage to 1d8 from 1d4, but not strictly necessary if that extra 4lbs affects the DC. :)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:13 pm

Haha! Sure, you want to toss the gnome, you can roll me a strength check and I'll take acrobatics from Korrik for the landing

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:23 pm

okay...
Tossing the tosser: 1D20+3 = [19]+3 = 22

Where you wanna go mate?
-Best regards LAYF

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:46 pm

On top of the deck cover so I've got a vantage point to keep an eye on things above deck. I'll be keeping my clothes on, so might be as much as 45lb.
thinkslogically wrote:Haha! Sure, you want to toss the gnome, you can roll me a strength check and I'll take acrobatics from Korrik for the landing
Halfling, thank you. ;)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:54 pm

...And so it begins! One day I'll play a game with you where I remember your race :lol:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:29 pm

thinkslogically wrote:Well, you're in good company. LAYFs the only one with strength above 10 :lol:
I guess you're referring to people above deck, considering Kal has a +3?
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:50 pm

Nope i just totally missed his sheet... For some reason it's way off the end when I look at them in my phone. I'll let wears weigh in too then of course :)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:55 am

Spent some time playing D&D today. Decided to try a Dragonborn Paladin, which worked about as well as I expected (Rather well).

First encounter he had was a bit of a shock though. Random encounter check, we give perception checks, and... "You hear a faint 'hoo.' But you also think you heard a sort of gruff 'raugh'." It was a unified "oh no" just before an owlbear made itself our first enemy. >.>

The fighter and I got into melee with the owlbear, and thanks to having 18AC each we somehow made it through with only a few scratches. I sort of expected a party of four level ones to be brutalised by an owlbear, but I guess not?

Oh, and we had an encounter with zombies. Which were 'Tough', I think? Whatever it was, they had a chance to not die when taking lethal damage. Which I just ignored because I could use Healing Touch as Radiant damage against undead. So there were three people fighting zombies and a paladin prancing around gently booping the really weak ones on the nose. That was amusing. Unfortunately we ran out of time after that, though. -.-
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:26 am

5e zombies have "Undead Fortitude", where they can make a CON save to go to 1 damage unless it's from radiant or a critical.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:34 am

Ah cool, that sounds fun :) I've got my other RL game tomorrow and we're starting a new campaign. I'll be a human Dex fighter which should be fun and a bit of a change from having a squishy character :D

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:40 am

spiderwrangler wrote:5e zombies have "Undead Fortitude", where they can make a CON save to go to 1 damage unless it's from radiant or a critical.
Ah, that'd be it, then.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:47 am

Not familiar with healing touch though.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:02 am

.... Sorry, Lay on Hands. Healing Touch is a Hearthstone card. >.> And I guess a Warcraft spell too. I don't play either of those, though, don't know why I said that.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:04 am

I didnt think that was canon in 5e. I thought they'd changed it so healing can't be used to damage undead any more.

Can't say I've looked too much though, so I could be misremembering.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:14 am

Yeah, it specifies that it has no effect, so either you fast talked your DM, or they're house ruling it so you can bop zombos. :P Still a funny image!

"This feature has no effect on undead and constructs."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:17 am

Mybe he has a feat or something? I'm not sure.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:34 am

It was fast-talking. I'm about 50-50 on talking; Half the time I can't get a word out and half the time I'm so convincing people will believe anything. Though I was probably only really convincing because I thought it worked that way, since I'd only had time to quickly look over the phb and get the basics written down before my battery died.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:57 am

Sure :) if the DM says it's ok then it's ok! Hell, my RL game is only barely reaching a point where we're playing something that could be called actual D&D, and basically just go with majority rules for stuff we're not sure about rather than wasting time to look it up. We started with a vague notion of what we were doing and just added rules gradually as we learned them.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:27 am

Oh, right. I'm fine with your logic on athletics. However you want to run it. I mean, if it seems to be a thing where strength training would help, then it's athletics. If it's more about agility, it's acrobatics. I'm not sure what happens if it's more about endurance, but that likely skews more towards strength in the absence of a constitution based skill. Common sense and GM discretion is fine with me.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:37 am

It could be athletics (con based) skill. I think there are rules to let you use alternate ability scores when doing a check?