The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by WearsHats » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:33 am

Have they actually attacked us, or did Kal shoot first?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:36 am

They shot at me and Gwen first, I believe. Your paladin conscience can stay clear. :D
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:04 pm

I think Varsk will dash across to secure the bridge if he can and if needed. Korrik as backup would be nice!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:42 am

It's a shame Hex only triggers on the caster's attacks, or Magic Missile would be more like Magic Nuke. >.> All three on one target and it's 3d4+3d6+3, 9-33 damage.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:52 am

:lol: That's probably exactly why it's restricted to the original caster :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:54 am

And why magic missile doesn't count as an attack.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:01 am

Huh. Well there you go! That's unintuitive as hell, but yeah, makes sense.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:06 am

It doesn't? Where do they list that? The pdf I have is awful and puts random spaces in the middle of words because of weird fonts, so I can't just search for all the instances of "Magic Missile".
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:14 am

Assuming it's the same as the one I have, search for headers with a space between each letter "M I S S I L E". That works for most, but if it doesn't, delete the first space, "MI S S I L E". Unless you make an attack roll, it's not considered an attack for the purpose of things that trigger on attack. Similarly, casting fireball at someone isn't an attack.

My Sorc/lock can cast Scorching Ray at second level to make 3 attacks at 2d6, if they all hit, 6d6+3d6 = 9-54 damage. (Scorching Ray isn't in the warlock list, however).

At higher levels, Eldritch Blast makes multiple attacks, which is key to keeping Hex relevant for warlocks as you get higher in levels.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:18 pm

Ah, so that's it. I guess if there are defensive actions that are based on attacks you wouldn't want them triggering on auto-hit moves.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:41 pm

Yeah, Kal's Protection Fighting Style won't work against magic missile or save based spells.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:46 pm

Kal speaks Draconic so he understood the leader the first time. I, unfortunately, have not had a full night's sleep this week, and I'm not tracking well. I could use a little help figuring out what Kal should be thinking right now.

Situation: We've got the leader of the ambush party. Two underlings are fleeing, as per his order. I have a short bow that might be able to do minor damage to one of them, but I'm not that good with it. Half of our party is behind me on the other side of the bridge.

Is there any reason not to just hold position until we regroup? Is there a danger to letting the others go? Do we even know if these lizards have anything to do with our mission? Should I be trying to talk to the leader? Or bind him? Or better to take a pot shot at one of the runners while you guys catch up?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:48 pm

((The runners may be going to get reinforcements, alerting others to kill possible captives, etc. I say we try to drop them before they can flee...))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:10 pm

If I may offer a suggestion here, the game in general might benefit from doing rounds as one block with everyone declaring their actions (like this), rather than waiting and doing individual updates for each action. Right now, we've got a bunch of people, some of which are probably in different time zones, that have different schedules of when they can post. This means that if initiative and a poster's schedule don't line up, it can cause delays that result in a single round taking multiple days to resolve. That allows everyone to post when they're able to, rather than waiting on their initiative to come up, which should help keep things moving.

(That is, assuming some posters aren't completely slammed with RL crap. I know Thinks has been pretty busy as of late, and the less said about myself, the better; 70% of the past two days I've had off work has been spent catching up on sleep)

Mind, there's downsides to doing it that way too; players can't adjust their actions a lot based on what happens before their initiative comes up, and using abilities that are triggered by an off-initiative action (e.g. Kal's protection fighting style) require either using them retroactively or having them primed in advance. But overall it's worked pretty well for the PTA/PTU games on here, and I think it'd work well for this game too.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:14 pm

I have no problem with that at all, and it's largely how we've been running the game so far (though maybe not explicitly). Basically, if you guys want to wait and see what happens leading up to your turn, you're welcome to wait to post. If you don't think your action will change, you're welcome to post early. Generally if I post enemy actions that would invalidate someone's action Ill wait for clarification or what have you, but if theres a valid action I'll take it :)

Mostly this has just been a busy month for me!

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:48 am

All right folks, do you guys know what you want to do next? If you want to work it out ooc while we wait for Syli's action go ahead.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:51 am

Which directions did the two lizard men that flee take? If we took the average one, maybe that would lead us to the camp? Though if we are going through the bottom then maybe that would be better... and we can see where the other lizards head to.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:29 am

Yeah, once Syli rejoins us I'd say we head down either path the fleeing lizards took for a little ways to get clear of the gators, then climb down and move more stealthily in that direction, unless Syli reveals the existence of the light.
My game:

My characters:

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:32 pm

Wait, I thought Syli had transformed into a cat and back right in front of us in a recent battle.

► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:25 pm

Yeah, but we still need to wait for her to rejoin us.
Nevermind, I hadn't caught up on the IC.
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:46 pm

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:50 pm

:lol: awesome :D

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:27 am

WearsHats wrote:Wait, I thought Syli had transformed into a cat and back right in front of us in a recent battle.
Sorry wears, I missed this. Yes she did, and I think Kal would have been one of the ones close enough to notice her change. I was just waiting for Nioca to post really so she could confirm whether she's still hiding the wildshape abilities and if she's going to tell the rest of you IC about the floaty light.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:29 pm

Not really hiding wildshape abilities anymore, but she's probably not going to mention the light right now either (not out of actively concealing it, she just thinks that resolving their current predicament and getting out of there has a higher priority).

(Also, if I had a nickel for every time someone refers to me as female, I'd have a nice little nest egg right now. Not just online, either. :lol: )

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:00 pm

Damn, I'm sorry! It's cos your username ends in 'a' and I just assumed. I'll try and remember :oops: