The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:27 pm

This is a somewhat freeform 5e D&D game set in this lovely world (high res map; probably best to download a copy if you want to see the details):

Some of the general lore is as follows:

Lands and Major Landmarks
► Show Spoiler
Gods and Religion
► Show Spoiler
Magic
► Show Spoiler
Current Events and Quests
► Show Spoiler
Notable NPCs
► Show Spoiler
Hightown Families and Ships
► Show Spoiler
Hightown Family sigils and claims
► Show Spoiler
Loot
► Show Spoiler
COMPLETED QUESTS
► Show Spoiler
UPDATE INDEX
► Show Spoiler
The players may choose any of the four major non-wandering continents to start their adventure on.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:12 am, edited 51 times in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:28 pm

Player Info

Darruk Greenfist Orebeard: Mountain Dwarf, Cleric, Folk Hero [LAYF]
Korrik Tallpine: Lightfoot Halfling, Monk, Criminal (smuggler) [spiderwrangler]
Gwen: Human, Warlock, Outlander [burns]
Mehriv Turajin: Brass Dragonborn, Sorcerer (Wild Magic), Noble [dlover]
Kal: Half-Elf, Paladin, Acolyte [WearsHats]
Syli: Wood elf, Druid, Urchin [Nioca]
Merric: Halfling, Warlock [Theis2]

Link to viewable character sheets: Here (Players can request access to the editable version by clicking on the blue "edit" link).

Character backgrounds:

(I think these are still right. Might have been some changes/updates since the posts I pulled them from. Let me know.)
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

Party Purpose: Keen to start over and make a new life for himself, Mehriv Turajin has provided the finances to set up a new trading company in the frontier town of Hightown on the wild continent of Caero. Through a series of somewhat fortuitous circumstances, he has obtained the services of Darrunk Orebeard to provide security(?); Korrik Tallpine (ex-smuggler) to handle distribution; and Gwen and Kal to also help.

Resources:
Basic rules (official site): http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Roll d20 5e compendium: https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/BookIndex

5e SRDs:
https://www.5thsrd.org/
http://www.5esrd.com/

Fan Wiki: http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/D% ... ition_Wiki
Last edited by thinkslogically on Sun May 13, 2018 10:20 am, edited 7 times in total.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:53 pm

Put in a permission request. Also, damn is that sheet fancy. Everything's very large, but that just makes it fancier.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:03 pm

I can't take credit for it, I cloned it from the one the players assembled in my 5e game. So be aware that there are a lot of cells to reference things, before your enter something in.

For example, you have only to put the name of your spell in the first box, and it will fill in all the specifics for you.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:05 pm

Yep, looks like only green cells should have anything entered, outside of the spells.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:52 pm

I decided to pick up SONGS OF THE ANCIENT ONES deep speech as one of my languages. As for the other language....uhhhh not quite sure.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:55 pm

Uh, so I just thought about AC, and... It sort of seems like I'm straight up not allowed to wear any, unless I were to eventually pick up a second class which can be proficient in armour? So, Burns pointed out Mage Armour, but being a 1st level spell, I have limited uses for those... So, I need some advice. Should I go with Mage Armour and effectively limit myself to Ray of Frost and a single Magic Missile for a while, or just go without armour and hide behind the rest of you?

I also just noticed that the sheet doesn't seem to search the entire spell list. The third and fourth also start in weird places...
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:13 am

Dlover wrote:Uh, so I just thought about AC, and... It sort of seems like I'm straight up not allowed to wear any, unless I were to eventually pick up a second class which can be proficient in armour? So, Burns pointed out Mage Armour, but being a 1st level spell, I have limited uses for those... So, I need some advice. Should I go with Mage Armour and effectively limit myself to Ray of Frost and a single Magic Missile for a while, or just go without armour and hide behind the rest of you?

I also just noticed that the sheet doesn't seem to search the entire spell list. The third and fourth also start in weird places...
Yeah, generally speaking most sorcerers aren't going to be front liners, so hanging back and letting the beefier AC folks take the brunt is probably a good strategy. Mage Armor certainly helps you out by raising your AC by 3, and even if you've already burned your MM, Ray of Frost does decent damage with a slow effect, so you'd still be able to snipe from safety.

I fixed the spells, the range it was searching with the lookup function kept shifting down, so it was excluding part of the list.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:22 am

Rolled stats in the recruitment thread. I'll go with Elvish and Common as my languages.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:54 am

... I'm not sure why I was thinking "No armour means no Armour Class," but it was pretty dumb of me. -.-

I thought the problem might be something like that, but I was terrified that I would break everything.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:59 am

All right, deep speech is the language of beholders and mind flayers and knowing it would be incredibly unusual. What's the ic justification for knowing it, burns?

Dlover - it depends how risky you want to be. With a cleric and paladin, you'll have some healing in the group soon enough and a couple of tanks as meat shields but you've also got burns (squishy) and spider (middlingly squishy I think...). Mage shield probably isn't a bad idea. Bear in mind you can also trade out 1 spell every so often (when you level up, I think) so if you hate something you're not necessarily stuck with it. That's just from memory tho if have to check the book in a bit...

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:39 am

Hm... Since I can cast it on others, it probably will be more use than using Thunderwave to shove back everyone around me, considering I think that hits allies too. Well, Burns probably won't benefit so much since Warlocks can wear armour, but still.

Oh, I also need to ask if we're using Encumbrance, because from what I understand my starting equipment puts me over my encumbrance. >.> Weak dragonborn is weak. Let's see... Pass off the torches to someone who would use them instead of Light, that cuts off 10lb. 20lb of rations, that could be spread out between some of the stronger characters. And... I don't think I can abandon the fine clothes. They're FANCY. And looking fantastic is an absolute necessity for being the main character a convincing trader. :P
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:10 am

thinkslogically wrote: and spider (middlingly squishy I think...). Mage shield probably isn't a bad idea. Bear in mind you can also trade out 1 spell every so often (when you level up, I think) so if you hate something you're not necessarily stuck with it. That's just from memory tho if have to check the book in a bit...
I'm middlingly squishy, but hard to hit. AC 16 stark naked. :shock:

Yes, each time you level as a sorcerer, you can drop one spell of 1st level or higher and select another one for which you have slots.

Dlover wrote:Hm... Since I can cast it on others, it probably will be more use than using Thunderwave to shove back everyone around me, considering I think that hits allies too. Well, Burns probably won't benefit so much since Warlocks can wear armour, but still.

Oh, I also need to ask if we're using Encumbrance, because from what I understand my starting equipment puts me over my encumbrance. >.>
Yes, Thunderwave would hit anyone in the area of effect.

The standard lifting and carrying is pretty generous (my 38lb halfing has a carrying capacity of 165lb... :lol: ), but yeah, if we are using the encumbrance variant, I'm going to need to pare down my gear or buy a mule.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:39 am

I'm ambivalent on the variant rules, but will stick to the carrying capacity limits for sure. What do you guys want though? Itseems nice flavour for an exploration type game but it's more stuff to track.

Unseen servant would be handy for you dlover, but I don't think it's available to sorcerers... Regadless, well be starting with your arrival in town and you can pay a kid to haul your bags to wherever you intend to stay. Surely you wouldn't carry your own things?! :P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:51 am

thinkslogically wrote:Unseen servant would be handy for you dlover, but I don't think it's available to sorcerers..Regadless, well be starting with your arrival in town and you can pay a kid to haul your bags to wherever you intend to stay.
Bard, Warlock and Wizard. But it only has a STR of 2, so has a carrying capacity of 30lb... Surely we can find a child strong enough to manage that much. :lol:

I'm at 71.8 lbs of my 55 lb unencumbered, so I'll be needing a child to help me out if we're going encumbered variant.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:08 am

I'm sure you could find a regular servant if you wanted one :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:15 am

As opposed to the child variety? Or the Unseen variety? I suppose either way. We need a half-orc Hodor that Darruk and I can ride around on, at least until I get my speed bonuses.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:21 am

Either :lol: but we'll leave that for in-game nonsense :)

I think we're pretty much good to go once we get a character from nioca. Do you guys have any other questions or suggestions?

In terms of money, your starting GP is what you start with; whatever dlover has invested in the business so far is tied up in purchasing the shop/warehouse/ whatever you bought in Hightown and getting you all there. You'll be able to hire someone to watch the place while you're out adventuring once we start since I assume you're not wanting to play a shopkeeper sim :) consider their first months wages covered for now from your general setup funds.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:40 am

thinkslogically wrote:All right, deep speech is the language of beholders and mind flayers and knowing it would be incredibly unusual. What's the ic justification for knowing it, burns?
My patreon is YE OLDE ONES. It has giventh me that language so that I can communicate with it.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:40 am

5e did away with different sized weapons and the different damage amounts (other than when subjected to the Enlarge/Reduce spell), as far as I can tell. So if my halfling picks up a quarterstaff to use, it will still do 1d6/1d8, right? If I'm using a quarterstaff... is it still 5-6 ft long, or would I have a size appropriate one that still does the same damage?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:56 am

Yes, the damage is linked to the weapon not your size. I'd also say that the length is up to you and whatever seems sensible. Either your Halfling has adapted to the medium-size world so well he can use the normal weapon, or they make small ones for halflings that are just as good.

Edit: the only exception is heavy weapons
They impose disadvantage in small creatures but should be marked as such.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:12 am

It's not the size of the blade, it's how you wield it.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:13 am

Oh, right. Remember that now... didn't apply to me as a monk since I don't have proficiency with anything heavy. Well, once we get started, I'll go quarterstaff shopping and find just the right one for me.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:22 am

Shouldn't be too hard, since it's basically a stick and you're on the edge of a jungle :) you'll have plenty of choice!

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:25 am

spiderwrangler wrote:Oh, right. Remember that now... didn't apply to me as a monk since I don't have proficiency with anything heavy. Well, once we get started, I'll go quarterstaff shopping and find just the right one for me.
I have a quarterstaff. For a full .5 copper cheaper than competitors!