The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by Dlover » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:54 pm

Rough to say, but it's probably better to focus on fighting at this point instead of stabilising the others. Since you'll be getting shot at the entire time.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:58 pm

As far as I'm aware. Kal burnt the last of his Lay on Hands, and Syli's tapped out for anything better than cantrips (and druids don't get Spare the Dying; a cleric dip is starting to sound real tempting right about now). Also, like DLover pointed out, anyone trying to stabilize is liable to get shot at; Gwen could potentially be pulled down the scarp to grant cover, but Kal would have no such luck.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:30 pm

Yeah, Kal is out of healing and spell slots. Bless was supposed to help us finish them off with less damage taken, and Kal is almost dead even with the healing. I concur that we're better off trying to finish the fight before tending to the wounded.

I should have kept the last two HP in reserve, after all. I just wanted to decrease the chances that Kal could be taken down again with one shot.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:37 pm

I'm actually kinda torn on what to have Syli do. There's no real good options at the moment. Right now, I can:

1) Dash to Gwen and attempt to stabilize. On one hand, ensuring a PC survives is almost always a positive, and while she doesn't have training in medicine, a +3 WIS means she at least has better-than-even odds to succeed, and frees up Korrik to rejoin the fight. Gwen's also right on the scarp, meaning she could pull her down and have cover against archer fire while attempting it. On the other hand, it'll take her two rounds to actually reach her and attempt it; she's got less time to stabilize Gwen than Korrik does (if we're really unlucky, she may only get the one chance before Gwen expires). Pulling Gwen to cover might take an action and further reduce that time, and attempting to stabilize her from on top of the scarp makes Syli an easy target (she has kinda poor AC). Even assuming that does work, if the fight goes badly enough, she may finish only in time to be staring up the business end of an arrow.

2) Flee/Hide. With everyone distracted up top, Syli is pretty much guaranteed to get away clean, especially if she employees wildshape for cat form. Living to fight another day is a solid strategy, and gives Syli a chance to rescue any survivors if (or when) this turns into a rout. At this point, she's effectively out of the fight anyhow, so her making a run for it would have minimal impact on the outcome. The catch? First off, she'd need to survive in the jungle solo, a challenge in and of itself. Second, in order to mount any kind of rescue, she'd need to track the lizards back to their home; this means potential further encounters with lizardfolk that she'd have to solo, and then on top of that, executing a possible rescue right in the heart of lizardfolk country. Also, she does have a chance to potentially save the life of one PC, and fleeing now means potentially resulting in Gwen's death.

3) Engage. Actually a bad option all around. She'd have to dash twice (if not more, depending on how hard it is to get up the scarp) just to get to the upper field of battle, and the short range of her sling means, barring rather absurd good fortune, she wouldn't accomplish much more than being a pincushion. Even if she wasn't immediately perforated, there's a real chance the fight could be all but over at that point.

4) Dash West and arm up. With some arrows for her bow and some cover, Syli could actually stand a chance in a one-on-one slugfest versus one of the lizardfolk archers. Snagging up a shield from the fallen warrior by Mehriv could also improve her chances in a fight (though she couldn't use a bow and a shield at the same time). Except that this would take even longer than outright engaging, increasing the odds the fighting would be over with at that point (although in such a case, she likely would still have the option to flee).

--

Any options I might've missed, or thoughts on what I should do?

EDIT: Nixed option 5 (GM Fiat). It came across a little bit too much as, "I don't want this, but it'd be really nice if...", which isn't my intention

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:45 pm

Varsk should still have Gwen's crossbow. There are also Javalins which have been thrown and I know that druids are prof in those. We only have two archers, one with a lot of health and one that is bloodied. They have at least 20 hp, if not more so stablizing Gwen might be hard to do.

Option 6: We try to get the woman to help. Unfortunally we do not know if it would work or not and it won't help with the pcs chance of dying or not.

Option 7: Use the dead lizards as cover.

ALSO I JUST REALIZED! Kal has protetion fighting style right? Merric's roll on him needs a reroll if that is the case.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:50 pm

Your count's off. There's three archers still remaining. Also, keep in mind that Javelins rely on strength, which happens to be Syli's dump stat, and still doesn't overcome the range issue.

(Good point on the Protection fighting style, though. Didn't think about that.)

((Also, just realized: this is STILL managing to bite me/Syli in the ass. Otherwise I'd be properly armed/armored already. :lol: ))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:53 pm

Yea, dlover pointed that out. On the map I only saw two green lizards and thought they were our only enemies and didn't pay attention to the red one.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:28 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:ALSO I JUST REALIZED! Kal has protetion fighting style right? Merric's roll on him needs a reroll if that is the case.
Actually I just realized, that's not the case. Kal's been using his bow the past two rounds, which precludes wielding a shield (Protection Fighting Style specifically requires you to be wielding a shield to activate it). He can't activate protection in response to this one. :'(

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:21 am

Varsk does still have Gwen's crossbow and has used it (to no effect) in this fight. Varsk is most likely going to see and deal with (hopefully) the two top archers. It will still be at least another turn before those two turn their focus onto him.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:14 am

Nioca wrote:it'll take her two rounds to actually reach her and attempt it; she's got less time to stabilize Gwen than Korrik does
While it takes more of your time, either way Gwen will only be making the one save before the first medicine check since she goes after you this round.

She drew heat because she was standing on the lip looking like a gibbering mouther, if you stay low you should be ok, possibly ducking below the scarp if it takes multiple attempts.

I should be able to get to the lower Archer in 2 turns and be able to attack, so we'll see how this goes.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:23 am

I have updated the stat sheet by adding an unlocked 'Group' page and added Merric's stats. Looking at Merric's page there is still information missing about his proficiencies, equipment, etc.

I would move the locked Group page to the very end but I can't (cus its locked).

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:31 am

Damn, Merric didn't have it easy this fight, this is the second time he got critted in just a few turns..

Merric doesn't have any equipment besides his sack, two water skins and an unknown "holy" symbol so not really equipped to deal with anything.

I've added spells and proficiencies to Merric's sheet now.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:45 am

I think Mehr took two crits in a row, too, though the first one was minimum damage, and the second was when he only had 2hp anyway. I suppose it's good it didn't manage to land a lethal crit. :p
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:48 am

How much damage has been landed on that top right archer? I've looked through and I see that it is at least 10 but then I get confused reading the descriptions further back which lizard archer has been targeted.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:49 am

I think Merric also dealt 3 or maybe 1 damage earlier with his arms of Hadar spell
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:06 am

Okay I see that now. They weren't labeled at that point but looking between the two pictures I would guess that it was the same one that took 3 damage that took 10.

I have a plan, with a bit of luck it will work. Since Varsk is a fighter the details of the plan are run, shoot, run, hit, repeat as needed - Victory! :cheer:

Hopefully the bad luck has run out, right?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:48 am

I need to double check, but I think Syli's closest archer is the one near Kal. The guy Varsk was fighting was also an archer but he's further away which might not help... If you can get to a deceased lizard you can have their arrows and start using the bow you found before. Or you can grab the machete / shield from the guys that died around Gwen.

Not sure if that helps your options or not, but it's possible.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:52 am

The archer just north of the entangle square is a little closer, but again too far away.

Also since the west group is dead do we just loop back up to the top without a big update from you Thinks?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:47 am

Yeah, skip straight through and I'll update when we get to the live lizards again.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:58 pm

I thought I asked at some point whether I could use protection in between potshots. Keep the shield at the ready, fire, re-equip the shield. I thought there was something about the 5e rules maybe making that possible.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:16 pm

I think you have to use an action to equip a shield, sadly.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:20 pm

Hmmm... I'm not sure to be honest. I guess it's possible if you drop the bow and didn't put the shield somewhere stupid.

((One rules-dive later))

Ok, you can't stow your bow AND equip your shield in one turn, but you could drop the bow for free and equip the shield (assuming that you previously stowed the shield somewhere sensible on your body...). You get one object interaction per turn, and that applies to a bunch of stuff including stowing or drawing a weapon. Dropping stuff out your hands is free though, so as long as you don't mind throwing your things around I'd allow you to do that if you want to.

If you wanted to swap back, you'd need to either drop the shield to pick up the bow, or stow the shield and use your action to get the bow back.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:34 pm

But that's just interacting with stuff, there are specific rules for equipping/removing armor and shields mentioned in the armor section which says equipping a shield and taking it off takes one action and I realise that I should shut up so he can retroactively protect me from a critical hit.. :p
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:50 pm

Welp, there you are then! Sorry wears, I thought it might have been possible!

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:41 pm

Darn. I had it in the back of my head that it was possible. Might have chosen otherwise, else.

Then again, if I didn't have a ranged attack possible, I'd probably have broken cover to melee, anyway.

► Show Spoiler