The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by Dlover » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:38 pm

If I'm holding up the game by my absence it's alright for somebody to just roll for me.

Anyway, don't know what to do about the initiative tie, so if I'm not around when that's elaborated on, I want to MM the snake, and rolling for me is probably what someone should do. I've got a bit of sporadic timing of class today.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:12 pm

Yeah... I should have run. :roll:.

Action: Disengage
Movement: 35 ft
Bonus Action: Step of the Wind, Dash 35 ft

I could be 70 ft away from the snake right now, instead of about to be 5 ft down its gullet.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Technically speaking, don't readied actions resolve after the trigger resolves (in other words, wouldn't the snake's attack land, THEN Korrik could take his readied attack)? Not that it matters at this point, but it'd be good to know going forward.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:39 pm

The trigger was the snake moving into melee range, so I interpret as happening before the attack happened. If the trigger was to attack only if Korrik was himself attacked (e.g. if you were facing a gang of folk, but weren't sure if they were actually hostile or not), then yes, he'd take damage first and then make his action.

If you want to ready an action to occur at a particular point in the round, you're welcome to clarify it in those kinds of mechanical terms as well if it's helpful.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:41 pm

It happens after the trigger, which is why you're supposed to be specific with the trigger. I might not have done that well here, I think I said slightly different things in two different posts.

My intent: Attack as soon as it's in range to do so (presumably when it starts to attack me).

How I could say it bad: Attack when it attacks me.

The first triggers at a moment during it's attack, which should let me get a swing as it's coming in.

The second could be interpreted as triggering once the act of attacking me happens, in which case I'm second.

:ninja: 'd
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:58 pm

Ah, okay. That makes sense. Thanks!

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:08 pm

thinkslogically wrote::lol: No idea on why it has a bite attack, but it does, so who am I to argue :)
Works for me. I'm just amused. :)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Is the constrictor bloodied (half health or less)?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:29 pm

If the snake enters and exits melee range with each attack, doesn't that provoke AOO's? Or has that rule changed?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:32 pm

AOOs have been triggered, yes. Or, one has at least.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:36 pm

Right. That's what reminded me. Shouldn't there have been at least one more? It enters melee range, provoking an AOO. Immediately thereafter, it triggers the readied action, allowing a second attack. Or is that not how it works?

► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:53 pm

As far as I saw, there were two attacks? One hit, one missed.
My game:

My characters:

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:54 pm

Yeah, but simply entering melee range doesn't provoke an Opportunity Attack; you specifically have to leave a target's reach in order to provoke one.

Actually, wait a minute, looking back, I initially read it as the snake moving forward, biting Korrik, and moving back. But:
The snake decends on Korrik, it's huge body casually dropping to the forest floor as it lunges its head forwards to strike at Korrik, biting him hard (-13 HP) before pulling its head back out of his melee range (the attack has a range of 10 feet).
Assuming that means that its bite has a reach of 10 feet, it never actually moved (in mechanical terms, anyway); it simply used the natural reach of its weapon (Bite) to attack without putting itself within Korrik's own melee range, same as how a Glaive or other reach weapon can attack targets that aren't directly adjacent. In other words, it was never actually within Korrik's reach in the first place, and thus couldn't provoke an Opportunity Attack.

(Unless I'm missing something obvious again)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:16 am

It being a natural weapon attack does make it a bit odd... But that toothy maw was definitely right up on me, not making chomping faces that hurt me from 10 ft away.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:37 am

Yeah it's weird. I don't completely know if my ruling it technically correct or not but I treated the snakes first attack as entering and leaving Korrik's range (triggering the AOO). If it was using a reach weapon I would probably have ruled differently since the attacker never needs to enter K's range directly, but I think this is reasonable for a bite.

If you guys find anything in the rules to clarify this I'll happily take a look, otherwise I think this is a sensible enough ruling if you're all ok with it :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:58 am

Since the alternative means not having put damage on it, I'm happy as is... Just wish I'd chosen better after that!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:59 am

Burns, Varsk may take Gwen up on the crossbow offer if this goes another round. I suppose Varsk's grabbing the crossbow would count as a bonus action?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:07 am

Yeah, that would be reasonable. Picking up a single item is usually a freebie, but since its a complex item and isn't set up for you, I think using a bonus is more appropriate.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:19 am

Just waiting on a death save for Korrik then the snake will do its thing.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:38 am

AOO makes sense now. Thanks!

I'll probably be AFK most of today, and I thought my turn was coming up, so I posted my action. Or at least the first part of it. Feel free to roll for me if I get another try.

I wonder if I could have jumped it. I'm much better at athletics. But 10 feet seems far too jump, especially from a treacherous surface.

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:08 am

So... Korrik may be a bit of an adrenaline junkie... not helped by the fact that I just was reminded that his halfling Lucky feature that lets him reroll 1's and take the second number applies to saving throws... including Death Saves.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:28 am

Question: if you crit while hex is activated, does it double the dice of hex damage?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:33 am

Yeah, if you score a crit, you roll double ALL the damage dice.

Crits only affect rolls though, not modifiers that you add on to them.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:46 pm

Can we move Mehr across? I doubt dlover would have an issue with that and it'd wrap up the crossing adventure :D . Varsk can pull him across if needed.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:48 pm

I'd offer to give him a piggy back ride across, but....
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler