The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:43 am

So for those of you not playing in The Sundered Way, you may not know that swearing trips the firewall at LurksinShadows' work. As a result, it has become standard practice in that thread to substitute cutlery in place of swear words so Lurks can actually play his character :lol:

I don't know if he reads the WA or not, but in case you were wondering why Korrik is suddenly cursing weird, it's most likely habit from the SW :D

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:47 am

Heh. Well, if LurksinShadows is reading this... oops! Sorry! :oops:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:09 pm

Wears/Kal still has pelor's blessing to gain advantage doesn't he?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:14 pm

No I think he used it already.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:43 pm

Yeah. I attempted diplomacy on the gnome. It wasn't enough.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:47 pm

Ok, so a quick bit of info on knowledge checks:

So different checks will tell you different things depending on the item (typically all these checks will be appropriate in some way). You're welcome to make as many of these as you like when appraising an item; spending a short rest on one of the skills will get you more in-depth information about an item than a cursory, 1-action check.

Religion: Does the thing you're looking at have any religious meaning? Could also be used to identify divine magic if you're an appropriate spellcasting class.
Arcana: Does the thing you're looking at have any magical aura or symbols?
History: Do you know anything about the cultural origins of the thing or it's importance?
Nature: What is the thing made from / in the shape of?
Investigation: is there anything secret or hidden or otherwise not obvious about the thing.
Languages are recognisable if you speak them. I may ask for an INT check to recognise (but not translate) a language you don't speak, or to identify an archaic / unusual form of a language.

This isn't an exhaustive list and if you can come up with different uses of different knowledge based skills, you are totally welcome to try them. Worst case, they don't tell you anything.

What you learn will be tailored according to your class / race / what I know about your backgrounds and expertise in the area.

A series of short checks might inform who should do the more detailed investigations during a short-rest for example, or perhaps indicate that you need to hire the services of an outside expert.

All these things are possible :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:53 pm

What was Syli's performance roll on that air violin? :lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:56 pm

Syli Air Violin (+0): 8

Well no wonder Korrik stormed off. :P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:00 pm

Probably thought it was some sort of wood elf middle finger. :D

K's pissed about losing his shirt, but the party's actions don't sit well with him on top of that. Not sure if it is consciously connected in his mind, but there's been plenty of times he's heard some variant of 'stop or we'll shoot', and his response would never have been to stop, but would always have run and/or hid. The gnome reacted as he would have had it been him, and she's dead.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:12 pm

I'm sort of trying to go for "Show, don't tell", since I know I've got a bad habit of doing the opposite, but Syli's actually sitting in a similar boat here (sans shirt issues). She's basically got this druidic training that makes her part of some natural brother-and-sisterhood, and makes her a part of something bigger. She meets a fellow druid for the first time (outside of her tutor of course), and what's the first thing that happens? The druid tries to exploit her and her companions for some favor. And when that falls through, the druid basically reverts to acting like a feral, frightened animal instead of a thinking being.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:15 pm

Gwen is upset by her own actions so she doesn't blame Korrik for being upset about it.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Yeah, I can see how that must suck for Syli. I'm sure the two of them will sort out their feelings eventually.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:28 pm

It's too bad Kal doesn't know what Korrik found and heard. I suspect our bounty hunter friends know more than they've said, and it seems they might need help. (Although it's not clear whether it's something we'd want to help with.) Oh well. Moving on to the main quest...
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:31 pm

Korrik isn't the sort to bring it up standing out in the woods. He'd be most likely to share his findings with Syli, as they share a bit of sticky-fingered kinship, though not pleased with her at the moment. Certainly not likely to bring up his thieving with the paladin unprompted.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:53 pm

Entirely fair. Just musing a little OOC.

► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:16 pm

I haven't had a full night's sleep in a week. So feel free to move things along. I'll chime in when I can.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:16 pm

No problem wears, hope you get a break and a decent sleep soon.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:57 pm

I have a couple questions: what does level of exhaustions do, and if I roll a 1 on my nightmare/vision bond tonight would i hsve two levels of exhaustion?

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:05 pm

I can actually answer the first one, and I'll quote the player's quick-start guide:
Exhaustion
Some special abilities and environmental hazards, such as starvation and the long-term effects of freezing or scorching temperatures, can lead to a special condition called exhaustion. Exhaustion is measured in six levels. An effect can give a creature one or more levels of exhaustion, as specified in the effectÔÇÖs description.
Level Effect
1 - Disadvantage on ability checks
2 - Speed halved
3 - Disadvantage on attack rolls and saving throws
4 - Hit point maximum halved
5 - Speed reduced to 0
6 - Death

If an already exhausted creature suffers another effect that causes exhaustion, its current level of exhaustion increases by the amount specified in the effectÔÇÖs description. A creature suffers the effect of its current level of exhaustion as well as all lower levels. For example, a creature suffering level 2 exhaustion has its speed halved and has disadvantage on ability checks. An effect that removes exhaustion reduces its level as specified in the effectÔÇÖs description, with all exhaustion effects ending if a creatureÔÇÖs exhaustion level is reduced below 1. Finishing a long rest reduces a creatureÔÇÖs exhaustion level by 1, provided that the creature has also ingested some food and drink.
In other words, while under the effects of first-level exhaustion, any skill or ability checks (but NOT attack rolls or saving throws) you make are at disadvantage.

As for warlock-specific stuff, I have no idea.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:20 am

I think Burns is referring to their background (Outlander, is it called?) Bond, not a warlock thing.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:39 am

Disadvantage on ability checks also includes initiative, and would give any passive checks (Perception being the main one) a -5 modifier.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:48 am

The other stuff is a custom effect from her personality choices where she chose to be haunted by recurring dreams. If she rolls a one she gets a level of exhaustion (which do accumulate, yes)).

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:56 am

Dreams/nightmares/visions same thing

So she might get 2 levles of exhaustion out of this. Yey. Something to look forward to. First level of exhaustion is brutal. Well at least she won't drink any time soon I guess.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:04 am

I think it's a rather good similarity to a hangover. And hey, she'll have plenty of time to rest on the boat. o:)
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:06 am

Or at least rock back and forth queasily... :puke:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler