Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:15 pm

Guess you'd better get to punching some rats then :lol:

and yes burns, I expect nothing less than a masterclass :D

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:49 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:At 4th level, I think I can cast dark vision on both of us, short rest to regain ki, and we still have 7 hours on the spell.
That's something you can apply to other people? Badass.
thinkslogically wrote:Guess you'd better get to punching some rats then :lol:
I think Syli was going to try talking to them first, actually?
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:39 pm

Dlover wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:At 4th level, I think I can cast dark vision on both of us, short rest to regain ki, and we still have 7 hours on the spell.
That's something you can apply to other people? Badass.
Shadow Arts
Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you can use your ki to duplicate the effects of certain spells. As an action, you can spend 2 ki points to cast darkness, darkvision, pass without trace, or silence, without providing material components. Additionally, you gain the minor illusion cantrip if you donÔÇÖt already know it.

Darkvision
2nd-level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (either a pinch of dried carrot or an agate)
Duration: 8 hours
You touch a willing creature to grant it the ability to see in the dark. For the duration, that creature has darkvision out to a range of 60 feet.

At 3rd level I'll only have 3 ki points, so limited to one cast per rest, but the spell doesn't take concentration, so I can rests and meditate to regain ki and cast it again after. At 4th level I'll have 4 ki, so can cast it twice and empty the pool, rest and be ready to go.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:43 pm

I know :) And FWIW, you guys get credit for dealing with stuff no matter how violently or diplomatically you do it. You'll level up after (very) roughly 10 "encounters" or so, or once you achieve a major milestone. The Returning Rivership was definitely one encounter, and if you manage to solve your basement rat problem, that'll count as a second :P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:49 pm

If I end up squeezing in, I'm assuming the quarterstaff is out as far as having space to maneuver it? Cause then I will be literally punching rats. >:D
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:50 pm

Doesn't Ki work on short rests though? So theoretically you can cast darkvision on a lot of people before it ends. Unfortunally does not see through unnatural darkness.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:52 pm

Yeah, if given the opportunity to rest a whole bunch... but if Mehr and I are the only ones that don't already have it, I only need the two.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:56 pm

Magical darkness is fairly unusual though and will probably not come up a great deal in normal life (unless you guys start making it your favourite spell or something)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:06 pm

Well, once I have Shadow Step, I can cast darkness on one of my darts, chuck it and bamf into the darkness spreading from it... though I won't be able to see once I get there... but gives me a way to Shadow Step into an otherwise well lit area.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:08 pm

Then maybe Gwen can be another shadow step area if I pick up darkness (I have not decided yet)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:14 pm

If it's at night or poorly lit, I can go anywhere, but yeah, if we are in bright daylight, I can pop into either... at least then their mage casting a fireball at the darkness has to flip a coin! :lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:18 am

You guys are going to be fun :lol:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:38 am

Heh. I'm not planning on dipping warlock, but if I did and took devil's sight, I could cast darkness on two darts, be able to see in the spheres of both, so I could move surrounded by darkness, throw a dark dart into somebody, port to it and punch them up while they can't see me, then dart the next guy... Just a sphere of darkness jumping around the map dropping guys in is wake.

Like the Vashta Nerada from the Dr. Who episode in The Library... You know, except I wouldn't eat them.

Actually that sounds pretty awesome....
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:37 am

Quite!

So I don't want to neuter the cool stuff you guys can do by any means (I have the whole entire MM to throw at you guys so it's no odds to me what you do), but I would ask that you consider how your individual powers could affect the other players in your team. The darkness tricks are very cool, but they do tend to benefit an individual character at the expense of the rest of the party (especially if darkness was cast in a small space or on a "Boss Monster" for example).

I'll obviously do what I can to build balanced scenarios for you guys no matter what you choose to do, so it hopefully won't matter too much, but I already know full well that you'll find weird ways to use your abilities that have never occurred to me :)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:41 am

If we're talking awareness of affecting others... Well, everyone can just keep a wide berth of Mehr. If I ever make a Wild Magic roll it'll probably make him explode or something. I've not really had time to plan ahead, so I don't know any more than that.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:14 am

But that's a random effect rather than a consistent strategy so it will likely work out fairly neutral overall :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:26 am

The players from my game are at least aware of how wild a WM Sorcerer can get.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:46 am

As I'm sure you guys soon will be :P

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:58 pm

:O There is a very small chance of Mehr suddenly becoming a child. That sounds awful. Especially since there's no time limit listed.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:35 pm

Well, the time limit is a maximum of 9 years...

Also a chance you can die and come back as a dwarf.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:39 pm

Wait... That's an option? I didn't see that one in the list.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:48 pm

Well, it would have to trigger, AND you'd need to die in the next minute.

91-92 If you die within the next minute, you immediately come back to life as if by the reincarnate spell.

Reincarnate
5th-level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (rare oils and unguents worth at least 1,000 gp, which the spell consumes)
Duration: Instantaneous
You touch a dead humanoid or a piece of a dead humanoid. Provided that the creature has been dead no longer than 10 days, the spell forms a new adult body for it and then calls the soul to enter that body. If the targetÔÇÖs soul isnÔÇÖt free or willing to do so, the spell fails. The magic fashions a new body for the creature to inhabit, which likely causes the creatureÔÇÖs race to change. The DM rolls a d100 and consults the following table to determine what form the creature takes when restored to life, or the DM chooses a form.

d100 Race
01-04 Dragonborn
05-13 Dwarf, hill
14-21 Dwarf, mountain
22-25 Elf, dark
26-34 Elf, high
35-42 Elf, wood
43-46 Gnome, forest
47-52 Gnome, rock
53-56 Half-elf
57-60 Half-orc
61-68 Halfling, lightfoot
69-76 Halfling, stout
77-96 Human
97-00 Tiefling

The reincarnated creature recalls its former life and experiences. It retains the capabilities it had in its original form, except it exchanges its original race for the new one and changes its racial traits accordingly.

Though, it does specify "ADULT body", so this might be a work around if you end up a boss baby and would rather be an adult half-orc than go through dragonborn puberty again.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:06 pm

Huh, I didn't check Reincarnate, thought it'd just, well, resurrect the target. Well, Wild Magic certainly is chaotic, hm?
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:12 pm

I'm pretty sure we'd rather want him as the dragonborn otherwise his clan would be like 'who in the abyss is this?' and we'd have no noble ties by then.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:31 pm

Since we've been discussing multiclass combos here, thought that I'd share my RL ranger. For a 2nd level character, he's pretty gross. No one in the party has much STR, so at 13, I'm tied for first with the half-orc wizard. All of the characters were generated completely randomly except for class. We rolled for race, background, background traits, and rolled abilities scores in order (4d6, drop 1 for each), STR, then DEX, then CON, etc... Then pick the class that works best. If I didn't already have a halfling monk here, I might have gone monk with his stats...
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler