The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:28 am

thinkslogically wrote:Ok, I looked up awakened mind again and I believe it's meant to be two-way. Which is good because you guys have had quite conversation so far!
The intent is for one way, but DM's perogative!

From Wizard's Sage Advice:
Does the warlockÔÇÖs Awakened Mind feature allow two-way telepathic communication? The feature is intended to provide one-way communication. The warlock can use the feature to speak telepathically to a creature, but the feature doesnÔÇÖt give that creature the ability to telepathically reply. In contrast, the telepathy ability that some monsters have (MM, 9) does make two-way communication possible.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:38 am

Man... Why can I never find the right rules when I look them up?! <Grumble>

I'm going to call it a special thing that these two can do for now until I can look at the other spells that allow two-way communication and how / if this would screw them up. I will clarify that Merric doesn't have awakened mind.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:41 am

Mushroom magic? That would actually explain a lot about Merric.. I need to find or make a mushroom based class at some point..
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:46 am

Ok, I had a quick look and using it for two way communication and I'm ok with it working as two way. It's basically a variant of the Message cantrip, with shorter range but no whispering.

If you want to use it for long discussions or to get a reply in combat, I'lll probably have it count as requiring concentration.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:02 am

In case you're wondering, the DC for the crossing (thanks to Korrik) is 16.

I basically started at a DC 20, then I took off half of Korrik's repair roll as a modifier. Kal just made it, Gwen didn't, but hasn't fallen yet! Those of you watching may want to find ways to get advantage on the checks or further strengthen the bridge if the crossing seems too dodgy for your PCs.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:15 am

I'm out all day tomorrow (got 2(!) RL D&D games! Woot!), and this evening just so's you know. If there's a consensus on following the river vs. heading off-road this afternoon I'll get you an update today, otherwise it'll be tomorrow night before I'll have a chance.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:08 pm

I'm pretty wrecked this week. Don't have the mental spoons to spare on map reading and executive function, but I will remind people that the river is acidic. Our eyes are burning, we're coughing, and our metallic equipment is starting to show wear. At the least it might be prudent to follow the river at a bit more of a distance.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:55 pm

That's fair, we'll look after Kal.

If you move back to the edge of the trees you'll have a harder time making progress (not difficult terrain, but you'll be a bit slower overall), but you'll be away from the worst of the effects. You can do that easily enough and still follow the river if you like?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:06 pm

I think that is reasonable. If it is real nasty by the river, lets avoid the worst of it as long as it doesn't put us in danger from the forest or make it too tough to slog through.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:39 pm

well, it'll certainly slow your travel time, so depends on how much of a hurry you're in. You've been making good time so far.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:44 pm

How much of a detriment is the acidified air? If we are in danger of a point of exhaustion from continued exposure, I'd rather move away, but if it's just a nuisance... :shrug: Of course I don't have any metal armor or weapons to worry too much about.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:59 pm

Gwen does but she doesn't really use her daggers, only when she thinks she is going into melee so hopefully they are not worn too much.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:09 pm

so far it's more of a nuisance than anything else, but you don't know what the long term effects might be...

I'll take medicine checks in the game thread for more detailed health info; survival for travel time info and... straight INT I guess for gear effects if you're worried about this stuff.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:20 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:31 am

► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:42 am

► Show Spoiler
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:57 am

...or I messed up and theis didn't correct me :) He actually should have awakened mind, I missed the patron ability at l1 :lol: sorry!

Anyway, with that said it's probably a good time to get his character sheet into the ooc. Can you stick it in here theis and we can see about moving it over.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:05 am

I assumed it was on purpose and you didn't want to out me just yet :lol:
The GM never makes mistakes! Unless the player gets horribly screwed over.. :P

Here's my sheet. I'm just sad that I didn't go the barbarian route Spider suggested, that would have been great. My next step was getting you to suspect I was a bard with dissonant whispers :lol:
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:52 am

:lol: So we are two goo locks? >:D Excelleeeent. Looks like you are more combat oriented than Gwen, who has some combat utility (Hex and Eldrich blast) she's more focused on utility, especially illusions. So are what are you going for on 3rd level as your pact? I'm going for book (she is trying to get a lot of knowledge) with Ancient Secrets.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:56 am

I was considering the book as well but figured out you were too so that would be a great overlap. All the times I've looked at the warlock class I've kinda dismissed the pact of blade so might actually consider picking that just to try it out and then maybe use a feat or two to get Merric into medium armor and the ability to get his full +3 dex bonus in it. Might be a bit much to use a feat just for +1 ac and no disadvantage on stealth rolls though :P

I just wanted him to be a bit of everything here at first and if it could make him seem crazier, even better :lol:
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:01 am

:lol: Too bad he doesn't have the stats to pull it off, that would be hilarious.

Chainlock would be neat too, we can have a little scout, and I can see Merric calling it a 'squirrel', no matter what he summoned, even if it was a grotesque looking blob. :p

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:02 am

WearsHats wrote:(In the meantime, you can study a flying mouse.
Nope. No Flying forms until level 8. Also, the only thing I can pick up easily right now are quadrupedal mammals, and bats are... actually, I'm not sure what bats would fall under.

Also, with the exception of Gwen, we are on an absolute roll with perception tonight.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:17 am

Why quadreped mammals? Is that just narratively based on what you're most familiar with so far?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:22 am

((Yeah, that's a homebrew agreement on how Syli will learn new forms. She can study a "type" of animal over a few days to learn the basics of its shape and one animal of that type (e.g. quadruped, biped, bird, fish etc). She can add different species to her list of options following a shorter period of study if she knows the basic form. It works best (fastest) with live animal observations usually, but she could figure it out from carcasses and some trial and error too (more slowly).

It's kind of a developing process, but it adds a nice bit of extra realism to the process.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:48 am

And isn't as messy as Maji's way of learning new forms...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler