The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:15 pm

That's... pretty sweet! Ranger, Monk and Druid are the three classes that are the least naturally-appealing to me, but you guys forcing me to read them has been pretty interesting. There's a lot of fun stuff you can do with all of them :) The problem I always have when it comes to multi-classing is that 5e gives you something pretty decent at every level-up, which makes it a tough choice between continuing with the core class or dipping out. What I do quite like with 5e is the variety of options you get for filling each of the four "niches" of a classic party (wizard, fighter, cleric, rogue), all with slightly different flavours. Unfortunately (fortunately?) I very strongly dislike DMPC, so I tend not to build NPC stats until the last possible moment and don't really play with the options very much!

Still, feel free to chat about random character builds and stuff in here if you're wanting stuff to do while we wait on actions - whether you use them or not later in the game is no odds to me, and to be honest, will probably give me ideas for NPCs or some future PC :)

The last character I tried to stat out for a few extra levels was an Assassin / Murderer build. It involved building a Fiendish Tomelock with Mask of Many Faces, Silence, Darkness, Devil's Sight etc., but I don't think it was going to be that effective, and it was definitely going to be an obnoxious member of an otherwise chaotic party with relatively new DM so I decided not to pursue that any further and make a friendly dex-fighter instead. Otherwise, Nemeia and Elara are basically it unless anyone else starts a new game :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:20 pm

I've ideas of how to make a massively MC skill monkey...

Half elf, rogue, knowledge cleric, and lore bard, skilled feat... Proficiency in 15 of 18 feats, expertise in a bunch, half Prof in others...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:25 pm

Barbarians, monks and Fighters are the least appealing to me (mostly fighter), but seeing 5e is different I am willing to try them. And it is hard to choose when to multiclass, I only have Maji and Gwen as my characters and I don't know if I even want to multiclass with Gwen because of the choices I have with warlock. If I do it would be lore bard.

As for Maji, I plan to become a bear barbarian moon druid but I have no idea when I should multiclass because every level of druid is good. I would like to have rage and eventually reckless attack, bear totem stuff and use con added to ac but it's hard to choose when to do so. If i start dipping next level I will be behind on making healing potions for everybody, and a spell level...there is no real good choice when to multiclass out of the druid class.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:44 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:I've ideas of how to make a massively MC skill monkey...

Half elf, rogue, knowledge cleric, and lore bard, skilled feat... Proficiency in 15 of 18 feats, expertise in a bunch, half Prof in others...
Hah! That would do it!

I think the core classes are pretty sweet in 5e. Totem barbarian is basically a druid with anger-management problems; monks can be ninja rogues or punchy fighters; fighters are actually kind of interesting just because they're so damn flexible on a DEX build - they can fill out a pretty good general role in the party, can stand happily on the front line (obviously) and all they need is DEX or STR and reasonable CON.

Raging bears seem like a pretty solid option. Without looking too hard at it, maybe 3 levels of barbarian at some point after you've accessed animals of a decent CR?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:58 pm

I was thinking of dipping 1 level in barb next level the continue in druid for a while until i get flying creatures and go bsck to 2 lv barb . Right now I have up to cr 1 creatures and having dr would be extremely useful, especially since I will probably be the dedicated tank role with the extra hp I get from animal forms.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:25 pm

I'm not really planning ahead. I'm letting RP lead. But Kal might take a level in ranger at some point. He'd need another point in wisdom, which will take a while, but it feels right for him and being able to lead the party through the swamps or forest could be useful all around.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:39 pm

I've not really made plans either. Not much good at planning things.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:45 pm

That's fair. Either way of doing it is completely fine by me, just see what happens as we go and see where you end up :)

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:02 pm

Likewise, since I'm pretty much playing it by ear with limited information, I'm sticking with just single-classed druid.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:21 am

So if Gwen is leaving in a huff, does anyone else know hope to get to the farm?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:25 am

Maybe she can just give directions? She was only given vague directions anyway, as I recall.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:53 am

Considering the last time she dealt with rats she almost died, if Merh did not bandage her she would have been because dice hated me enough to kill of Gwen, I think it's a bit fair that she wants no part in the rats, especially since she does not have anything that would really help the situation. Syli seems to have it under control and wanted us (Me, Darruk, Merhiv) out anyways. I did not intend it for her to leave out in a huff, sorry if you interpreted that way.

I assume people would ask direction to the farm if they were interested in the theft. She could have gave directions then.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:29 am

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:47 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:I stand on the roadway, slightly annoyed as our "guide" veers off into the shrubbery to start rustling around for berries.
We didn't stop for it. She essentially found them growing by the road as we walked.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:59 pm

Well, Korrik stopped in annoyance at least. Gwen's managed to convince him that she's incompetent at anything but flirting with the boss.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:04 pm

You guys do you. You're very welcome to flesh out any and all details of the narrative that you'd like to for humour or drama or whatever. I'm trying to keep the updates relatively short so they don't turn into huge walls of text, but random additions from you guys are what make these games fun so have at it.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:08 pm

I'm sure that will change when we get into it and Korrik is able to see more of Gwen in action.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:10 pm

She's got no rations and practically no money, so she's getting a little food without stopping and inconveniencing anyone. How is that incompetence?
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:04 pm

Dlover wrote:How is that incompetence?
Never said that was. I said that she's convinced Korrik that she is incompetent:

He's certain that half the party almost being killed by rats was due to her fooling about in the basement when she ought not to.

She's portraying herself as a flirty damsel constantly in distress, clinging to Mehr's arm because she's afraid of cutpurses or something. At this point, he know's she can speak into minds, but her recent behavior and actions haven't convinced him she's suited for heading into the unknown. A flighty flirt who can't handle themselves doesn't cut it in smuggling, and won't cut it when it comes to adventuring. Korrik's failed his rolls to tell it's (at least partially) an act, so until Gwen proves herself in his eyes, he's going to occasionally be irritated by her.

Also probably feels that Mehr is too coddling towards her, and/or encourages her flirting too much, but hasn't gotten around to bringing that up...

► Show Spoiler
He'll be fine in time, part of the backstory is his brother and smuggling partner got killed because they got sloppy. Having someone along that to his perspective may not be capable of pulling their own weight has him on edge.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:32 pm

Korrik saw her shell out 3 gp to Merv to support the Guild certification for the halfling last night. ...I don't think Korrik has a stand for Merhiv approving or coddling her flirting.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:36 pm

Her tossing gold on the table in a huff doesn't really improve his opinion of her. :lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:32 am

Hey folks, I've decided to put Darruk on "tag-along" mode until LAYF has time to come back to the forum. Basically, you can use him for emergency healing if it comes to it, but otherwise he's a non-entity in combat / skill checks. He's there, but wont really contribute to the party without a player.

For in-game purposes, you can consider him to have contracted some particularly draining tropical bug that means he's basically able to keep up with you guys for travelling, but that's about it.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:56 am

Mountain Dwarves in scale mail aren't cut out for this tropical climate. He'd probably be more comfortable if he braided his beard up so it wasn't quite so insulating.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:06 am

Exactly. But it's character building enough on its own, so he'll level up alongside you guys :)

Incidentally, I'm thinking I'll give you guys mini events to reach level 3. That way it won't matter if you live in the wilds forevermore or not. It does mean that some of you might reach level 3 faster than others, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue... If anyone is planning on dipping a level before L3 give me a shout though (maybe Gwen / Korrik?).

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:24 am

I do still plan to dip Rogue to get to Thief, but re-reading "Sneak Attack", it doesn't apply to unarmed strikes apparently, only finesse or ranged weapons, so of slightly less immediate draw. Dipping 1 level still gets me another skill proficiency and expertise, so that would still be good.

I think at this point, I'll take a dip into Rogue when it is narratively justified, but don't have any particular point at which I'd "want" to take it. It gets me a bit more skill utility, and SA on some dart tosses, but monk gets me movement and ki (2nd), shadow arts (3rd), ASI/Feat (4th), extra attack (5th), and shadow teleport (6th). If I dip 1 in Rogue, I'd probably be continuing with Monk through 6 before taking any more Rogue. If I don't take 1 in Rogue before 6, that'd probably be when I dip for a few.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler