An Adventure in Aldra

Home to all current Forum Games.
Tea
Is Heard Often

Re: An Adventure in Aldra

Post by Tea » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:42 pm

Ignatius simply follows after Aurora now that she's reappeared.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:45 pm

Nestling his half empty tankard in the crook of his elbow, Korbrok pulls out a boiled egg and begins to peel it before popping it in his mouth and washing it down with a swig of dark ale.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:09 am

At the gate
"The military cohort for a-pardon me."
The Sargent and the three Mar standing behind him look a bit confused for a moment.

Maker turns around to the mob. "Excuse me, but violence will only make matters worse for us all, settle down or am I required to separate you from each other?"

Someone yells..."Who died and made you Dragon! Before a rather fresh horse apple is lobbed at Maker, or the sargent...it is sort of obviously not thrown well but Maker has it drop out of the sky with a splat onto the ground.

"Anyways I intend to get a job at the military sector and as I understand it I need a pass to continue to stay in this city and avoid being arrested." Maker continues to explain.

"Travel inside the city between the sectors is currently restricted without a pass...but if your looking for a job, we in the guard could use a...well a being with your talents..."
"Really?" One of the young Mar begins to say..."Where does this thing come from? I mean...why is it here?"

"We were simply told to immediately acquire passes so as to avoid arrest, sergeant. The military cohort will tell us the where and what when the time comes."

"If you are going to work for the Cohort boy...then I suggest you ask them for a pass..." Calls out from behind him. It is the old, gravely voice of a man holding on to a rather large black spear. The old man wears a long red, fur lined robe and a rather ornate badge of office. "I can only issue for the people who have legitimate business I can verify, and the local Cohort is a mess."

He stops and looks at Korbrok for a moment and sighs. 'And I will pay a full Mark for someone to go get me some breakfast...Now then Sargent how about you set up a table here...and everyone else form up a line and I will get to you in turn."

'Yes Magister..."says one of the young Mar, and two of them trot off.

As things are organized the old man thumps over to Maker. "If the Cohort wants to hire you obviously, I won't interfere in their needs but if you need work afterwords...come find me...Magister Holl of House Bethra...we can use someone of your obvious abilities."
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:51 am

Korbrok rummages in his apron pockets and pulls out an egg and a sausage. "So ya mean these young bucks hauled me away from my breakfast for no damn reason? No pass without a job?", he scowls at the others. "An' that lady cap'n might be lookin to hire us, and we're not there cause ya dragged me out here to stand in line."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:08 am

"The house captain said everyone would have to get a pass, so I... I'm sorry for inconveniencing you, elder. There is still ample time to be returning to the muster, especially so if you allow me to carry you."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:29 am

"Carry me? CARRY ME?! I'M OLD, NOT FRAIL AND WEAK!", grumbling to himself, Korbrok begins striding back towards the mercenary hall, pushing his way through the crowd.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:28 am

Maker nods "If I have not aquired a job I will look into your offer." With that Maker flies off faster than the speed of sound back to the mercenary guilto meet with the cohort.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:49 am

The Withdrawing Room
(OOC: I am assuming most of you are able to get back almost in the nick of time...feel free to walk when you feel your character would in just after seven bells.)

As the mercenaries gather, the Cohort captain continues to stare out the window. Ignatius realizes she's likely deep in thought because her eyes are really not focused on anything.

Finally there is the gong of the Long Bell to mark the seventh hour of the day and she shakes herself slightly. She looks at Ignatius and raises an eyebrow before turning to the rest of the room.

"Alright, I assume those of you here don't have work. Well, the Empire does have a job for you...and I can personally offer you a thousand marks each when the mission has been completed. Note, this isn't four thousand to divide between yourselves, but a thousand each when the mission has been completed, even if your group doesn't complete it, because this is a mission of the Cohort and House Quesa.' She looks around the room, "So let me make this clear, if two of you get hurt during this mission and the others complete it, you get paid. If a group of the Cohort completes this mission and your not there...you get paid...If a random guardsman in a Podunk village in the Folds completes your mission...you will get paid. But until the mission your stuck at whatever rates the Auditor's office is going to pay you for expenses, and if you quit before its done you get nothing. I'm not paying for a bunch of wannabe Bara sitting on their asses in this place waiting for someone else to do their work. Oh, and if you don't have a job, I'm to order you marched down to the docks and on the first ship that sails, which I hear is for Emarta Prime, not a great place for those of you this line of work."

She stops and lets it sink in. "So I have one question are you in or out? Because I can't tell anything more to those who are not joining us on this mission."
► Show Spoiler

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:20 am

"Sure, sure. I'm in. Any breakfast left?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:14 am

"First I need to know what is to be done before agreeing."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:32 pm

One-Eye briefly ponders the sea journey and decides to pass on that particular opportunity.

"I'll work."

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:41 pm

"You have the help of the auditors, although I'm afraid I cannot guarantee that some of my superiors will not require punching before this is through."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:28 pm

"Aye, I'm in."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:34 am

Withdrawing Room
"First I need to know what is to be done before agreeing."

The captain's eyes narrow for a brief moment at this comment. But nods to the others as they agree.

"You have the help of the auditors, although I'm afraid I cannot guarantee that some of my superiors will not require punching before this is through."

She smiles slightly at this, "I'll just give them a nasty paper cut..." She pulls a standard square order envelope out of a pocket. Hanging on the seal tab outside are two seals, one for the Western Consul and one for the Eastern Consul which means her instructions are both approved by the chief of the Military as well as the chief of the Auditors. She returns the envelope to her pocket and looks at them all. She walks over to the octagonal table in the middle of the room and begins to roll one of the balls for the game back in forth in her hand.

"Alright Metal Man...Mapmaker isn't it? What are you worried that an Auditor and an Officer of the Cohort are going to order you to do? Spill, because I'm Mar, we have standards and he's from a Xezin House" She points at the Auditor, "...Were not K'zar going to send you out to be Law'drnach and go out and chop the lower races heads off until they behave. So what are you worried I want you to do?"
Last edited by Quarg on Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:17 am

"I would rather not be recruitted before knowing what I am to do. I have seen even the best of me faulter."

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:34 am

"I would rather not be recruitted before knowing what I am to do. I have seen even the best of me faulter."

"If I didn't think I could use your talents Mapmaker, I wouldn't ask you to join this group. At the minimum, you can act as a messenger taking messages for us to headquarters and guard detachments in the nearby area and as scout looking over ridges and trees for the fugitive we need to track down."

She pushes the ball so that it rolls into the center, high score, hole of the table. "If that is not enough information at the moment, there is the door...don't let it hit you on the way out."

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:37 am

"Understood w are to help find the fugative. Seems fair."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:45 am

If breakfast hasn't been cleared, Korbrok tops off his tankard and has a seat within earshot, but not in any rush.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:18 pm

The Cohort captain nods and then holds herself up.
"I am Captain Aurora Mitzen currently on special assignment for the Zinthra, This is Lieutenant Ignatius va'Pyre of the local branch of the Auditors."
She points to the older Mar with her. "Currently I...we are on a mission to find Prince Maku va'Qin. For those of you who have been paying attention to local politics, the Prince has been spending a good deal of time in the city. The Auditors, Cohort, and Guard are all looking for him, but they are...hampered by having to deal with the local political situation caused by the recent death of Marzu'Qin the third and the elevation of Taldra'Quesa to Empress. Your job is to assist us in keeping on his trail while it is still warm."

She stands and looks at them..."Alright we need to check in with Captain Redstar to see what new developments have occurred." She walks to the door and looks at Korbrok, "So let us walk and talk...if you have any questions ask me on the way over to the new Palace."

Aurora walks out of the withdrawing chamber and back out onto the street. However she turns towards the great gates that now gape wide open. She marches across the ground and smiles slightly at one of the four guards who focuses on her. "Captain Mitzen, Lieutenant va'Pyre for Captain Redstar...with a party of irregulars." The guard blinks for a second, obviously lost in...well 'thought' he nods and lets the group pass.

The courtyard beyond is something of a charnel house. Bodies, many of them Orcish Mercenaries who you've likely met, lie in piles. Also bodies of broken men and women in fighting gear lie in two rows. At the end of each row is a cart being filled with bodies wrapped in linen.

Aurora stops and points, "This is the problem folks...House Qin has made a lot of promises over the generations it has held the throne. A good number of the lower and upper Mar Houses have members in their thrall, or even the entire House may be sworn to their service. And the Qin have had the resources to hire entire mercenary companies for personal body guards." She turns and looks at them, "But I am sworn to track Prince Marku down...and I will hound him to the gates of the death realm if need be." The woman's eyes are filled with an intense 'fire' so much that her green eyes seem to actually glow.

She turns and continues to march along, across a colonnade around the side of the courtyard and through a large set of doors. Beyond is a passage opening up to a grand staircase. The walls of the space show a mix of blood, marks of musket fire, crossbow bolts, and damage from force bolts. Aurora climbs the stairs and enters another doorway.

The room is quite large, the coffered ceiling some 6 meters above their heads. The walls obviously were formerly decorated with arrays of weapons which were either pulled down to use recently, or are being removed by one of the guardsmen currently in the room. A pile of bloody weapons lies before a large fireplace with a young girl cleaning them before placing them into one of several iron chests surrounding her.

Above the girl is a large, full portrait of a man in the Uniform of the Aldra Dragoons. Dark hair surrounding a hansom face with piercing blue eyes with a hansom face and perfect nose he seems to look down on them all as though minor annoyances in his vision. "And this is Prince Maku...remember his features because this is the man we need to find..."

"What the hell is going on here..." A man with a small mustache says as he walks into the room from another doorway. Aurora turns and begins to speak to him softly. She lets the group stew on their own for a moment.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:59 pm

"So... what are we doing with Maku when we find him?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:01 pm

"Well, tracking is good news. I'm good at tracking."
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:03 pm

One-Eye has never had much of a head for politics...

"IF we find 'him! If 'e's a prince, seems like you want folk more fancier than us to find 'im. Seems e'd run in very diff'rent circles to the likes of most've us, doncha fink?"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:13 pm

"Understood. Is there any talents that he is known for that may hamper our search?"

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:02 pm

Ignatius spares the portrait only a passing glance preferring instead to find a window and get a better view of the city (and the night's damages). "You're an unknown, a new variable, perhaps something the emissaries of House Qin will not find easy to manipulate. Us 'fancy' folk do not have that luxury, but, I make no claims about knowing Madam Mitzen's plans. That's as much a mystery to me as it is you."

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:25 pm

The Walk
"So... what are we doing with Maku when we find him?"
ÔÇ£Your helping us to haul him to the nearest cohort detachment so that he can be taken back to the capital. Of course, he might resist the summons and then we will have to convince him to come.ÔÇØ

"Well, tracking is good news. I'm good at tracking."

"IF we find 'him! If 'e's a prince, seems like you want folk more fancier than us to find 'im. Seems e'd run in very diff'rent circles to the likes of most've us, doncha fink?"

"You're an unknown, a new variable, perhaps something the emissaries of House Qin will not find easy to manipulate. Us 'fancy' folk do not have that luxury, but, I make no claims about knowing Madam Mitzen's plans. That's as much a mystery to me as it is you."

ÔÇ£Says a Mar from a former high house, do I look like a madam to you? I work for a living...ÔÇØ she responds, ÔÇ£...but he's right, the Prince seems to have abandoned his loyal retainers to go vanish amongst the low...so your not out of your depth.

"Understood. Is there any talents that he is known for that may hamper our search?"
ÔÇ£Besides his apparent access to money to hire help he is a trained Mar warrior with serious riding, fighting, and magical skills.ÔÇØ

The Dining Room
Ignatius spares the portrait only a passing glance preferring instead to find a window and get a better view of the city (and the night's damages).

He goes through the doorway that Redstar had just entered in from to find the ornate dining room turned into a centralized hub. Clerks from the Auditor's office and other government offices sat and stood around the massive table. The were focused reading through ledgers and stacks of paper, making notes on scraps of paper. A few looked up and nodded acknowledgement at Ignatius before returning to their work. Boys and girls in various uniforms scampered in and out through a doorway, brining in papers and taking out brief messages.

At the dining room windows, Ignatius looked out on the Seven River Valley below the bluff the whole palace complex was built upon. Nearby the chimneys and roofs of the Dells were peaceful. Not unexpected at this hour, that den of debauchery and crime usually stirred awake after the noon bell. Beyond that lay the old city, which also seemed to show no signs of damage. And beyond the river lay the rice plantations that showed no signs of damage from the night before.

As Ignatius stared out the window a familiar, gruff voice asked...ÔÇØAren't you dead yet? And if not, want anything from the canteen...well the kitchen I've turned into the canteen...ÔÇØ

The Guard Room
Aurora finally said in a very loud voice, ÔÇ£Fine...I will deal with the whole bloody lot of those messages...while you write up their passes, Captain Redstar.ÔÇØ

Redstar sniffed and walked further into the room. ÔÇ£So you want to hire...a flying cartography table, a depth perception lacking goblin who's been hiding in the guild for no good reason, a dwarf who's parents apparently never let him in on the joke, and a blacksmith with anger issues. And what will I tell the Empress when they turn up reporting your head mounted on a spike by a rouge Prince? I suppose as long as Ignatius has his head on a spike then all you bloody Mar will be satisfied.ÔÇØ

He turns and begins to walk back into the dining room. ÔÇ£Well it is going to take me awhile, my whole staff is researching people to find conspirators now I need to issue four military passes...and you need to straiten out who all these damn Bara and Zin and Mar courtiers are and what is they want from me.ÔÇØ

Aurora nods and turns back to the group. ÔÇ£Well these are the Prince's apartments...they were searched but not very thoughtfully...so while I get the local Auditor commander back to doing his actual job, go see if you can find anything they may have missed as to where he may have hidden himself. She points to another, slightly open doorway in the wall behind her.
► Show Spoiler

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr