Raptor at Heart - Lost with the Wild

Home to all current Forum Games.
Feytala
Converses Frequently

Re: Raptor at Heart - Lost with the Wild

Post by Feytala » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:19 am

Again, Katrina tilted her head. She watched Lilly and... Managed a smile. Or the dinosaur variant of it.

"That is nice to hear, young one. One can never truely be alone, as long as he is with friends. What's your name ?"

Then she took a step back. Listened to the various others. There was more going on here then the eye first met (as if that wouldn't have been enough before).
It was Ambrose, that finally got her to speak again.

"My french was never that good to begin with. I am german, if that matters for anyone."

She didn't comment on his attempts to take the lead, for good or for worse. Or his thoughts about them being "demons". One thing was clear... Infighting might lean to soon destruction. The young woman also didn't say say something to Bjorns attempts to comfort Farah. It sounded somewhat cold to her ears, but she wouldn't point that out - Maybe it really helped.

Then it was Henrys turn, to attempt to take the lead, but somehow, the crazy wizard put her mind at ease and she grinned slightly at his words.
Nevertheless, there was Laurens question of water... Which got her to finally speak out again. For all that was good, she still was a botanist. That MIGHT be of a little help here...

"Well. Normally you can make out the direction of the next water source by looking at the plants. I won't bore you with the details, but it has something to do with how deep the roots have to reach and how loose the earth can be. And if you have the knowledge, you are able to discern, when plants are more likely to grow on a shore. Also plants themselves can be a source of liquid if you open them up."

She looked at Lilly... And winked.

"But as we have someone with us, who has been here for longer than the rest... And hasn't died of thirst... Maybe you know where water can be found, little sister ?"

The others seemed to forget, that, for all danger, this kid seemed to have survived on her own at least for a little while... If with a bit of luck. But she remembered her own childhood. Grown-ups forgot about children all the time. She also had noted the words of the youngling, that there might be at least one other raptor out there, maybe like themselves... Which, for not knowing better, might be a reason to watch out.

"If not and nobody has a better idea, I could try to help if you give me the time to look at the plants around us... Not all of them seem to be familiar..."

Henry spoke about electing a leader. Would she be up for the job ? Maybe. Yes. But she wouldn't force herself to the top - What you needed for that, was trust. And they hadn't had time to build that up yet... She hoped they would have. Anyway - Better to stay calm, than to scream people into submission. Nevertheless... Better to watch the hothead closely. In such a situation, someone going batshit was a possible way to secure destruction.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:25 am

Brigitte raises an eyebrow - or, rather, tries to and finds that her face doesn't do that any more - at the guy still screeching about Satan. "You think this is hell and we're... demons? Man, you crazy. I'm not confident in my sanity right now, but I'm pretty sure you're not the new leader of some demon army. Besides, hell's meant to be fire and lava and stuff, not all... Leafy." She sniffed in apparent distaste as he ranted about speaking French, remembering a proverb her family often quoted - li pale Frans - it seemed rather fitting, given that the angry one was trying to take charge and lead them for his own gain.

She turned around to take in the full sights of the place as the others spoke, and nodded again. "Yeah. Not hell. Not safe, though..." She nodded along at the various other suggestions that they move out, and added her own name as somewhat of an afterthought when she realised many of the others had introduced themselves. "I'm Brigitte. We should definitely find someplace to be that ain't just where we found ourselves. Washing sounds nice too, if I'm honest."

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:28 pm

Sam moves his way toward the others, and just kind of listens for a while, still unsure of the whole situation. After a while, he speaks up. Well, if Lilly doesn't know where to find water, we could always try to climb a tree or something, to figure it out.

My name is Sam, by the way.

If Lilly doesn't point us to the right direction, then Sam will flex his powerful legs, and jump as high as he can towards an easy-to-climb tree. He will use his legs and mouth to climb, using his arms as needed, and also to test his strength.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Feytala
Converses Frequently

Post by Feytala » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:03 pm

Katrin would wait for Lilly to answer. If she didn't knew something in that direction... Well... Time to hit the plants. She was sure, her botanic knowledge would help out. Maybe her body was strange and she was missing the mammal part of her brain, but her mind was still her own !

She said nothing to the ranting old man... But she nodded slightly in approval to Brigittes words. She would have put it a little less... Provoking... But in the end, she agreed.

"This is an exceptional situation for all of us... I guess... The most important thing now is to stay calm. There is no problem in disagreeing, but if we loose our head over this, we will have a much easier time to get in even more trouble. The truth is... We don't know, if we are in some kind of afterlife, a kind of illusion, or if our mind got copied backwards in time. I'd like to act only on what I know... Which is, I have to agree... Damn little. Even more reason to cooperate."

She gave Sam a nod, a smile... While she wasn't so sure yet of her control of this new body, the man seemed to use his head. Even if the little one knew of water or she could find out how to follow a plant-trail, getting an overview over their suroundings was critical.

"Just be careful. These feathers don't mean you're able to fly now."

Gallows humor ? Oh yes.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:16 pm

► Show Spoiler
Hammond nodded as many of his new companions gave their names. An interesting bunch, certainly. But, he wondered, if this was all real, why were they here? Given that one of their number had apparently died in a rather gruesome and unforgiving way he couldn't fathom a purpose for their apparent new existence. With a groan he realized just how much he missed having the AI system at his beck and call; even in stasis mode he'd been able to continue learning about whatever he desired or could hypothesize. That would take getting used to.

Rather quickly they seemed to focus their attention on the little one they'd rescued, though not entirely out of concern for its well being, so much as what it knew and how that knowledge would be useful to them. While water would certainly be a priority, Hammond found their approach to zero in on the little survivor very primal.

"I'm going to assume this, whatever it is, is real; we are, for better or worse, no longer our previous selves. One thing I am curious about is how the grey one, Bjorn, knows of Loki. I assumed I was the only one left alive after the incident who had encountered that monstrous old machine."

He chirruped, cocking his head to the side as he posed his query.

Lilly warbled with pleasure as Lauren set to scraping off the blood on her back and sprouting feathers. The sensation offered an incredible amount of relief and calm, almost like having her mother run her fingers through her hair at night...

She froze as Lauren asked her name, though the preening she was receiving helped to ease her mind enough to think. These weren't all bad people, or, raptors, anyhow. However, the fact she didn't actually know them beyond recent minutes shook up an important memory her parents had drummed into her head one day before taking her to the dinosaur museum; unless mommy or daddy had told her it was okay, no matter how nice a stranger was they were still a stranger.

She shrank back from Lauren and Brigitte but found herself unwilling to give up the companionship entirely and looked up to meet their eyes. She wasn't alone anymore out here. She didn't need to be if she just stayed with them; the struggle to figure out what to do made her stomach churn. Perhaps it would be okay... if they didn't know what her name was; she could make one up and it would be okay for a while. She hesitated, searching for something to call herself as the seconds ticked by and the other raptors staring or talking among themselves.

"I.. uh.. my name is... it is..."

She looked between Lauren and Brigitte again, guilt and horrible shame making her want to tear up again as she chirped the lie out,

"Carrie! My name is, uh, Carrie..."

She trailed off and stared at the ground, feeling miserable for following her parent's rules at least a little. Something about doing it here didn't seem right and gnawed at her conscious.

"I do know where water is, though..."

She mumbled meekly.
"Well, Carrie, I am Ambr-"

He tripped, clacking his jaw shut as his face hit the ground. Blood trickled from his mouth where his teeth had sliced up his tongue and gums; with an enraged cry he shoved himself to his feet and screamed in frustration, spittle and blood spraying from his mouth as he emptied his lungs. Anger temporarily satisfied, he snorted and looked behind him to see what he'd tripped over only to find little more than dirt and ferns.

"I am beginning to hate this place, hell or no. ANYHOW, I am Ambrose. What are we then, oh wise ones, if not demons? No such monster has ever been seen before. When I gave confession in the past the priest once told me that hell is a horrible place, meant for sinners to suffer within. He never spoke of fire. So far, I am inclined to call this place our hell, and all within it demons or tortured souls."

He wanted to glare at them, try again to grasp hold of the situation before not doing so bit them in the derrière, but the wound to his pride felt like a great pit to cross, so he settled for glaring at no one in particular. He'd show them all it was hell, there had to be proof somewhere.

Farah smiled slightly as they began introducing themselves. It was almost like getting a new classroom full of middle schoolers; even the brown one getting angry at nothing seemed in place. The familiarity was a small comfort, but a comfort nonetheless. Opting to listen and wait, she simply nodded politely to each raptor as the conversation continued.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:56 am

Brigitte didn't seem to notice Lilly's new discomfort - not because she didn't care, but because she didn't and couldn't understand the thought process. That the child would be remembering 'stranger danger' or trips with her parents never dawned on the only slightly older girl, so different were their life experiences. She took the offered name at face value and nodded in thought. "Well, Carrie, it's good that you know where to find water. We're gonna need that."

She looked across at Ambrose again and shook her head as he faceplanted and screamed. "Calm down, man. All that yelling isn't a good idea, we're trying to keep a low profile here. And whatcha mean, monsters never seen before? I ain't even got no school and I recognise dinosaurs when I see 'em. Jurassic Park and shit. Didn't look quite the same, but pretty close. And I never heard anyone say Hell had dinosaurs. Plus hey this guy said he didn't die, and I don't reckon I'm dead..."

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:07 am

"I don't think I'm dead, either, but hey, maybe for you, this -is- hell." Lauren shrugged as she couldn't explain the situation she found herself in and good-naturedly offered a paw to help the slightly crazy one [Ambrose] back to his feet, after he tripped himself.

Lauren couldn't help but chuckle at the comical situation of the little one being named Carrie and her being the one who got splattered with blood earlier. She was also pretty pleased with the smaller raptor accepting and - quite obviously - enjoying her help.

When 'Carrie' said she knew where to find water, Lauren nodded and asked: "Can you take us there, please?"

To the dark one, who hadn't offered his name yet [Hammond], she said "...incident? What incident are you talking about? And I don't think I caught your name yet."
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:02 am

Henry holds out his clawed hand to help Ambrose up. "Becareful, these wilds are unforgiving! I concur with Bridgette, we appear to be fluffy feathery raptors. If we were demons, we'd be more demonic than this. It seems we went back in time, or an alternate dimension, whatever the case we are here."

Henry goes up to Lily. "Lead the way Carrie!"

Edit: Ninjaed! Ah well henry still offers help

Feytala
Converses Frequently

Post by Feytala » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:10 pm

Katrina tilted her head slightly to the side. As the young girl introduced herself, she offered her a smirk - She didn't want to smile and show teeth, it might have given the opposite impression of what it was meant. Also, she wished, she had read less Steven King right now.

"Thanks, Carrie... Don't worry. You aren't alone here anymore. We'll look out for each other."

'I hope. Well ,at least I'll try...'

When Ambrose bit the dirt, she clenched her teeth. After his anger had calmed down, she approached him again.

"Everything okay ? Nothing badly hurt ?"

His words made her brain twitch...

"Well, I agree. Zoology is not my major, but I recognise a dinosaur, when I see one... Used to have some as toys when I was small. You have never seen something like "us", Ambrose ? In model, of course, not for real. After all, Dinosaurs died out 65 million years ago..."

She cocked her head.

"Another thing to notice... We seem to hail not only from one place, not even a small contained area. Ambrose hear was irritated at not speaking french anymore, yet most of your names sound english... Sorry, if I get that wrong. And I am german... What could possibly warp us away from all over the world... And why ?"

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:45 pm

Ambrose ignored the attempts to help him, though some part of him wanted to take the offered claws rather than continue this miserable debate. Dinosaurs?

"Dinosaurs?"

He found himself repeating his thought out loud, thoroughly baffled. Where had they come from that these demonic entities were made into toys? 65 million years?

"I'm losing my mind. I didn't die, I just got knocked really hard on the head and this is all a poppy nightmare. If we're not demons and... my head hurts..."

He grumbled. If he were to be honest with himself, he wanted to cry a little. Hell or not, the entire experience was incredibly frustrating. If they weren't demons, and the others, for the most part, knew what they were, how did they not also know where they were? Why did they know all of this and he did not? He'd been through schooling, an apprenticeship and even had a few apprentices of his own and such things had never crossed his desk. He did have to admit that the one who had introduced herself ["How did he know it was a she?", he puzzled for an instant] was right, his tantrum would only serve to draw the attention of more of the demons.

Ambrose thought the whole situation over in silence, hoping to find some sort of information he could make sense of from what the others had said.

Lilly smiled up at Lauren and then cast her gaze at Katrina as they reassured her and gave her the goal of leading them to the water. Somehow, despite how scary things had just been, the experience was proving to be quite enjoyable again. She bobbed her head and, discomfort quickly forgotten, ran a little ways away in the direction she remembered passing a stream before finding the group.

"Then follow me! I don't think it was too far from here; I found it by following a bactrosaurus! It was afraid at first, but I think it knew I just wanted water, too."

She beamed as she pronounced the dinosaur's name. It was much easier to speak in little chirps and barks than it had been as just a normal little girl. She wasn't a lone raptor anymore and they were all about to start off exploring the amazing dinosaur world together; the elated feeling in her gut left her feeling giddy, as if her already light steps could somehow let her fly. As she waited her tail whipped back and forth through the ferns, shredding them into a pile as she worked off anxious, happy energy while waiting for the others to follow her.

Farah turned back to Bjorn, realization that she had absently dismissed his kind gesture sinking in. It certainly hadn't been an intentional decision, but watching the growth of the group dynamics play out like a classroom scene had swooped away with her attention.

"I'm sorry about that, Bjorn, I didn't intend to ignore you. Thank you for your kind words, though I would much prefer to see my little flower again. Before... this, my husband had joined efforts with the police and neighbors to find her. I could barely keep myself together, though something about being a velociraptor, at least I think that is what we are, has made dealing with those thoughts a great deal easier.

Farah found herself watching the interactions between 'Carrie', Lauren and Brigitte as she finished speaking. Seeing a child so happy with the others looking after her did much to warm her heart. Bjorn's tail draped over her back felt like a light hug, a gentle gesture that did more for helping her continue to maintain her composure in the face of the mess they were in than he might know.

"I am Hammond, Sign D3-Astra992 Science Officer of the now destroyed vessel 'Msganorak Thytula'. I realize the ship name is a mouthful, but it was the closest pronunciation humans could manage in a normal voice. I love those bug freaks, but their main language is like trying to shit ice cubes in a blizzard."

Hammond nodded curtly to Lauren, keeping his demeanor completely "all business" as he was used to. They would need the water source Carrie would lead them to, but how would they handle food? He chuckled at the irony as the thought of eating insects as a suggestion came to mind; of course it would, so soon after bringing up the S.C.A.R. Alliance's insectoid members. The usefulness of learning deep history in idle time Karen had suggested suddenly made a lot more sense.

"Leadership aside, I would like to make my own recommendation. Once we reach the water we should consider food and shelter. I can't imagine we will find ration packs from my pod here."

A terrible bellow filled the air with deep bass notes, betraying the death of some mighty beast. Moments later the ground shook as the weight of something massive fell upon it, spooking birds from the trees in droves. Silence followed quickly until the sound of running water could be heard coming from the direction of the cry. Ambrose looked away from the group, trying to identify the source of the noise and felt his stomach toss as rivulets of blood ran over his feet.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:50 pm

Brigitte tilted her head to one side in thought as she listened to the many fractured mini-conversations going on around her. She wasn't the most book-smart of people, and wouldn't win any awards for philosophy or debate. But she wasn't stupid, and several key points had clicked into place for her. "Hold up, hold up. You're French. You're German. This guy talks like one of those re-enactment fellas with the fake swords. Guy here's just talked about 'humans' like he hangs out with things what AIN'T human on the reg. See, I thought this was a bad trip, just me havin' my own problems... then I started to think maybe this was an experiment, you know, by some secret organisation, and we got plucked outta the street and we're all plugged inna some basement somewhere like The Matrix. But we aren't all just from different places. I'm startin' to think we're from different -times-... Okay, okay, roll call. What year is it for you? I'm 2004, and I'd bet my last dollar you all ain't."

She snapped her head towards the source of the roar and the following bang, suddenly tense and ready to run. When blood flowed out under Ambrose like water, she took a step backwards in shock and shook her head. "This is so wrong, man. We better go." She gestured with her little feathery arms towards Carrie. "Let's go to this water and then see what's what. I don't like it here."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:18 pm

"Nay, it is only somewhat of a stage persona, oh you are talkig about Loki guy? That makes sense, even if I am a magician of new!" he says cheekly, knowing full well she was talking about bjorn

Henry panics when he sees blood on Ambroses' feet, thinking he had been hurt. and tries to grab Ambrose and grabs some leaves to press against the wound, fantically looking about. Dressing wounds are much harder than shown in the movies, espessially when the best thing you have is leaves. When he hearss a loud sound his reptile intints take over as he runs with the group. He then sees the blood is not coming from Ambrose but rather one of the much larger creatures. He tries to push Ambrose away from the blood using his head.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:44 pm

Bjorn turns his head to the side as all of these strange words were being thrown at him. He stepped away from Farah toward the others. "You are all soothsayers then? Speaking of things that are outside of the understanding of us mortal men. Trying to explain the will of the gods to us." When Loki was mentioned again, he turned and glared at the source. The one called Hammond and the one called Henry. Speaking to Henry he says "You speak of Loki as if you have no idea who he is, and you" he says, turning toward Hammond "speaks as though you have a close knowledge of him."

Bjorn began to think, before he had died...at least he thought he had died...he pushed these dangerous thoughts from his mind. Back in the world when he was a man, the year was 857. Impossible, he thought to himself, for someone to be from so far into the future. Though, perhaps vikings now ruled the world, it was difficult to think that over 100 years ago vikings ruled and raided, why was it so hard for him to think that perhaps in the future, vikings continued as they did in his day. A cautious approach was better, he thought to himself.

He spoke cautiously, but forthright, unwilling to give away his suspicions or doubts. "857" Short and brief, just as much information as they wanted, but no more than they needed.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:59 am

Lauren merely shurgs at Ambrose's refusal to take her offered help, but is genuinely concerned when his feet get covered in fresh blood. She stops to look at where it might be coming from, as she knows he bit his tongue earlier and that he tripped, but she hadn't noticed a wound on his body or legs so far.

At the loud roars that hail the death of a bigger creature she lifts her head and quietly (so that the group can hear, but whoever killed whoever else can not) suggests: "That sounds like the fight between those two big ones has been settled now. Maybe we should check it out. If the carnivore won, we can wait until he has eaten his fill and then feast on the left overs, if we are quick enough, getting there before any other scavengers. If the plant eater has won, we can also wait until he has left - albeit in this case it should be much quicker - and then eat the carnivore."
► Show Spoiler

Feytala
Converses Frequently

Post by Feytala » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:23 pm

Katrina gave Brigitte a curious look, as she furthered her own train of thought.

"Oh my. No... As to my knowledge... The year is 2024. Ahm... Was. Before... That. Here."

While she followed the discussions, she breathed deeply... And tried to listen if the fighting sounds had really stopped. She found it entirely to be possible, that the river of blodd came from ANOTHER dangerous fighting scene. Yet her stomach was irritated, growling and turning at the same time... She tilted her head, looking at Lauren.

"You... Mean... Like... Raw flesh ? Ripped out of a still warm body ?"

The young woman fell silent for a few moments. Gulping. Where was the next ALDI when you needed one ?

"I... Uhm... Always prefered my steaks medium...", she joked for a second, somehow embarassed of the shortcommings. She thought about something else first, though.

"Carrie... Please stay in the middle of the group for now, okay ?"

They would go near something big and dangerous into the direction of blood, as it seemed. That meant, either there would be danger up front or they would be running away soon - And she didn't want the little sister 'When did she become my little sister, though ?' to get lost because of panic, being slower and so on. Katrina greitted her teeth.

"I hate to say it, but the idea isn't that bad. And if these bodies are real we should be able to digest it, too... Still... Gotta be careful. IF we really want to go in that direction, we shouldn't all go in danger... I... Well... I would try to sneak ahead and take a look, reporting back... Okay ? Then we can decide further."

A smirk followed.

"If you hear my scream, you at least know in which direction you have to run away..."

There was it again. Her old 'I want to show that I am courageous and cool'-problem. Oh, well.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:50 am

The talk of food made Bjorn's stomach rumble again, but more angrily this time. He winced at the pangs of emptiness in his stomach and pondered at the thought of eating raw bloody flesh. Once when he was a boy, he had become lost in a winter's storm and had been forced to kill and a mountain goat, he remembered to this day how tough and bloody the meat was, but it had helped him survive until his father had found him. The animal mind seemed to encourage the thought of fresh meat and Bjorn wondered if perhaps it would taste better now that he was sharing the body of a beast that seemed fit for such a feast. One must howl with the wolves one is among. Bjorn thought to himself...it would be better to accept his current lot in life than to fight it.

As the one who had only recently came into being started to sneak away towards the 'Food', Bjorn tries to catch up with her and is surprised to find how swiftly his new body can move as he closed the space between them much faster than he had imagined. "Two is One more than One." Bjorn says he her once beside her and walks with her towards his meal with hunger and caution.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:40 pm

"The year would be... I believe the best estimation would be 20160? I've only been to Earth Prime twice in my life and never had the time to pay attention to the planetary dating system. I'm rather used to measuring day cycles from our science logs, years are difficult to measure without a planets influence."

Hammond bobbed his head in agreement with those intent on discovering if the could scavenge from the corpse of whichever of the big beasts had been slain and trotted over to the growing group.

"A full belly will give us much more time to figure things out. We have one among us who knows how and where water can be located,"

His stomach gurgled loudly, briefly interrupting him,

"and I have to admit, a meal of any sort would be welcome right now. I do hope, however, that this is a safe enough decision. We may very well find we are not the only creatures with this idea in mind."

He turned, then, to Bjorn and briefly sized him up before speaking again.

"As to Loki, it is an ancient, dangerous machination of old wars. A worn out machine with learning algorithms that allowed it to achieve sentience and become incredibly hostile in the process. It was last seen in the Trxxich-npak Nebula by myself and those who had been aboard our ship. It had assimilated some sort of forgotten technology into itself and managed a degree of repairs that had never been forseen; it actually laughed at us over our communication systems as we watched, helpless, as it tore the ship apart with no regard for any inside. I watched it catch several other pods like my own and rip them open for their components; it even cut open the occupants to absorb what minerals it could from their flesh, as if they were little more than bags of ingredients for whatever it was changing about itself."

He began to growl as he trilled out the recollection, hatred and a primal desire for revenge making his body quiver with rage.

"I can only hope the next encounter it has with S.C.A.R. sees it cast into a star. I will never forget that laugh... it seemed as real as these bodies we find ourselves in now."

Lilly swallowed sharply as the group split up, confused as to what was happening. Why weren't they going to have her take them to the water? Why go towards the awful Allosaur and all of the blood. She shivered and clenched her jaw to quell the queasy feeling in her belly as she noticed the steaming blood trickling among them and hurried back to Brigitte's side.

"Miss Brigitte, whats goin' on? Are we not going to the water now?"

She lowered herself into a crouch, instincts telling her that this would be a good position to make decisions from. She'd eaten pretty recently; the fluffy critters she'd gulped down had been plentiful and, she remembered from the one she'd greedily bitten into rather than swallow whole, a bit crunchy but oddly tasty. She looked away from Brigitte to stare at Hammond and Bjorn, listening intently as Mr. Hammond told a spooky story about where he was before he'd become a 'raptor. She didn't understand why, but the creature he described gave her goosebumps. No desire to listen further, she turned back to Brigitte.

"Do we hav'ta eat the hurt one instead of get water?"

The fact that their intended meal was likely dead eluded her, as well as the call for when they were from, so fresh in her mind the events that lead to her first truly terrifying experience in the ancient world.

"Will you STOP pushing me? Leave me-"

Ambrose turned from raptor to raptor as they gave their time period, his eyes growing wider as the difference came to light between when each existed 'before'. It was, quite simply, a distinguishing enough set of information to snap him into the reality of the situation after all of the denials about his perception of it being hell. Several of them were separated by centuries or more. He lifted a foot from the pooling blood at his feet and settled it back in place with a wet splurt.

"I am from the year 1888. I... I apologize for my actions thus far, but what was I to believe? We are monsters in a land of monsters with nothing to show for mankind's existence beyond each other. You say we are dinosaurs; even the little one there seems to know many names for what we see around us."

He took a deep breath and riggled his claws in the damp earth, his instincts reveling in the blood coating his feet as if to say 'this kill is mine!'.

"I am with those who want to eat the beast. I find it difficult to deny what my body is telling me right now. Afterwards, though, I may be able to help with shelter once I figure out how to use these digits better. If I bring anything to the group, I am, was, a skilled architect."

"2016. It was February. I'm going to stay with Carrie and Brigitte, then, if we're splitting up. I don't think I could stomach eating raw flesh, though I understand I will need to eventually. I'd rather go to the water and clean this wound."

She chirped and tread over to the other orange raptor, corralling the little one between them.

"We don't know enough about what is going on, though, for it to be safe to not stay together. If you all plan to do this, it should probably be a brief thing, or we may find our numbers much smaller."

She didn't know what prompted her to say such things other than a motherly instinct to protect the group as a whole. They might not be her children, but as strange and different as they all were, they were a pack. A pack? Somehow, the word felt more apt than family.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:28 am

If we're splitting up, then I'm getting some water. I'm more thirsty than hungry.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:00 am

"I am from the year of 1998! I speciallize in slight of hand, tricks, distractions, optical illusions! I insist we should not split up at this point and go for the water, I am certian that the body will be there when we get back."

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:01 am

Lauren shook her head impatiently.
"Haven't you" and at this she indicated the ones originating from the 20th and 21st century with nods of her head "ever seen any horror movies?! Splitting up is usually a very bad idea, if you even -suspect- a killer to be around, mush less if you happen to know that there's lots of creatures out there who would be more than happy to off each one us for a meal, as we do. On top of that, so far we don't even have enough knowledge of our surroundings to agree upon a safe spot to meet again later on. Parting the pack now, wandering off into different directions borders on the imbecilic, and I'm saying that in a very caring way.

But with our lot being as it is - us having transformed, mutated, had our spirits transferred into these bodies or whatever caused us to be like we are now - needing raw meat for nourishment on one hand and on the other the next supermarket - or even butcher's shop - not opening for another billion years or so, and - this is a wild guess of mine, so correct me if I'm wrong - most of us not really used to or even feeling comfortable with the thought of having to kill another being in order to be able to eat, we got this incredibly fortunate opportunity dropped into our laps: free food, which - in my humble opinion is too good to pass.

And this is precisely why I suggested we -could- check it out, but this is a decision we have to make as -one-, the whole group going or the whole group not going. Before you cast your vote, though, I just would like to say: the water will - with high probability - be still there later on, the food will be gone, eaten by others who were quicker or more daring."

Having finished talking for now, Lauren absent mindedly picked the leg of Gillroy back up, then gave a pensive snort and waited for the impact of her words, and the feedback of the others.
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:26 am

"Water is likely to have creatures as well. We should not go to where the giant creature is for we may end up on the menu."

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:29 am

Brigitte patted Carrie on the head again as she settled down next to her, feeling the need for contact of some kind again. Yep, this was apparently all still real. As usual, she listened to the various bits of conversation around her, making sure she was caught up before she joined in. The confirmation of her suspicion that they were all from different parts of history - and apparently the extremely far future - wasn't a surprise, but it was good to hear. She nodded encouragingly to Ambrose as he seemed to calm and settle down into acceptance of their situation too, but shook her head a little at the thought of trying to get in on the potential meal a little way away.

"I'm kinda hungry too, but...ehh. My own experiences are prob'ly different than all yours, but where I was before, if I didn't find something myself I wasn't likely to get any. No-one was gonna share their lunch with me just because I turned up hungry - second is as good as last, you know? I'm not used to muscling my way in on someone's dinner - I'd have lost. I'm used to bein' small and fast, in and out and away, and I think that's what we all are now. And maybe soon we'll be sure on our feet and know the lay of the land enough that we can snatch a meal like that without getting our asses handed to us. But whatever won that fight's still there for a start, and I bet there are bigger, hungrier, more confident things out there than us."

She looked to each of them again in turn and nodded at those who'd said they wanted to go in search of a free meal. "I agree that we shouldn't split up. So here's an idea...what about this food" - she jerked her head to point with her snout at Gilroy's headless and legless corpse, and briefly across at the separate leg Lauren had - "right here? There's enough for a bellyfull each, no-one's here fighting us for it, it's free, it's safe...If you can stomach it. How about we scoff what we can here to tide us over, then follow Carrie to the water? We'll all need to know where that is, and it's probably safe, since she's been there before."

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:05 am

Bjorn's mind is boggled by all of the large and strange words that Hammond uses.
► Show Spoiler
Although he doesn't understand a good portion of what Hammond says, he believes he understands the gist of it. He bobs his head in agreement. "Indeed, Loki is a wily foe, who betrays and destroys those who had once believed he was a friend. A man cannot wish even his worst enemy to fall into Loki's hands."

As he continues to walk towards what would hopefully end up being food in his belly, his head snaps back at the others as they began to murmur about the dangers of splitting up. "My stomach will not fill itself, come with us and your complaints will end when your tummies are filled."

Edit: As he thinks about that fact that the group is splitting up in unknown territory, a thought occurs to him. "Little one, you say you know where water is, from this meadow, which direction is water. If we return and cannot find you, we will head in that direction." Thinking about it some more, he tested by new legs by scratching a deep furrow in the ground and a light bulb went on in his head. "Ah, when we leave, we will mark the trees and ground in the direction we go so that we can find our way back, on your way to water, do the same and we will follow you, unless you choose to come with us."

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:44 pm

As the pack splits to head to their chosen destinations, members from each slash marks into the trunks of trees along their route. The sounds of the forest quickly return to normal, only falling mute as the amateur predators trample through the underbrush. The pre-noon sun flickers through the canopy, casting beams of light intermittently into the settling dust of the past chaos. An unseen pair of eyes looks upon each group as they divide and eventually follows the four headed to the kill site with barely a whisper from the foliage.
Gully Stream:

Given lead to bring the other raptors to water, Lilly eagerly bounds ahead of the group, pausing as she goes to make sure those she had been given responsibility for were still following. The carnage of the flora destroyed by the larger beast's battle quickly fell away to lush greenery and slim, well worn pathways.

Despite not fully understanding why the group had split up, Lilly was happy to be filling such an important role. Her books had said that velociraptors, as pack creatures, held high esteem for their members responsible for locating and securing water sources when outside of their established territory; it had never occurred to her when she first woke up in the ancient era that she would be one of those special raptors.

Distracted by her thoughts she instinctively snapped down on a large, dragonfly-like insect instinctively as it took off in front of her face. She swallowed reflexively and briefly stopped in her tracks to gag at having eaten a bug. It wasn't disgusting, a little voice chirped in her mind, but the little human girl part of her insisted that what had just happened was horrible.

"I... I ate the bug *hack*"

She chirped feebly as she looked back to the pack to give a reason for stopping. Without waiting for a reply she grimaced and set out down the trail again.

The smell of clean water and warm bodies soon flooded her senses, reassuring her she had taken the others the right direction. She slowed to a stop behind clumps of massive ferns and turned to face her pack with an ear to ear grin. They might not be able to see the water just yet, but her senses confirmed i was there.

"We're here! We uh... there are other dinosaurs here and we will probably scare them if we look at them even a little. I know I did when I got here before. I, um, sorry again... about the bug thing. I didn't mean to stop there."

Farah trotted along behind the others as she brought up the rear of the group. It had been concerning to see the four choose to investigate how the battle had ended, even if it was for food. The interactions they were sharing were, if she were honest with herself, something she was clinging to for the sake of her sanity. The world was unforgiving and violent; if she never had to see blood again aside from when she gave in to eat the flesh of some creature she would be happy.

As the group came to a final stop and Lilly spoke up about the stream, seemingly alight with joy at sharing information, she felt a tear escape her eye as memories of her own missing child flooded her mind.

**Such things will see you become a corpse; a fossil for the future to find and wonder about. Embrace what you are!**

She jumped as a voice filled her mind. It sounded vicious and she could sense a bloodthirst radiating from it within her skull.

"Did any of you hear that?" I'm not so sure this location is safe either."

Kill Site:

The destruction caused by the great beasts fight proved to be an easy trail to follow; the only real difficulty of reaching the site that of downed trees crossing the path. The flow of blood had slowed, though great pools of it were present where it had filled the footprints left behind.

As the four hopped onto the trunk of a massive downed tree, the kill site came into view. The Stegosaurus had apparently lost the battle; it lay still on its side, intestines scattered far out of its torn belly. Many of its smaller, earlier wounds had stopped bleeding, though the path the wounds had oozed along its hide still glistened with congealing blood. Several of its massive protective plates had been broken off and scattered about the clearing and two of its four massive tail spikes were missing. Blood was present on nearly every surface nearby, but aside from the pile of organs on the ground, no other source of massive bleeding was obvious.

The allosaurus itself held the flesh of the stegosaurus's neck tight in its jaws, though its weight was no longer supported by its legs as they were folded beneath its mighty frame. Its muscles rippled beneath its hide sporadically, though it made no effort to move otherwise. Several tiny scavenger creatures readily pillaged the corpse of the stegosaurus, ignoring the massive carnivore that clung to it.

Hammond snorted derisively as he took in the scene.

"It looks like we know who won. One of you suggested before we would wait for the, uh, Altosaurus I think is what the little one called it, to have its fill, though if those little critters suckling at the corpse are any indicator we may be able to make our move sooner."

He never took his eyes off the beasts, instead following the strewn organs and blood to try and picture what had happened once the fight had left their presence earlier. Something wasn't adding up, or so he imagined; how had such a violent mess been made by two exhausted monstrosities? Had the spiked one continued to flail about as the lethal blow was dealt? His gaze settled on a nearby armor plate resting on the trunk of the tree the group stood upon. It had certainly been torn off, he noted. The edges were it had attached to the beast were ragged and held bits of flesh still.

"Are any of you as familiar with these creatures as the child? While the scent of all of the iron-rich blood is driving my belly mad with hunger, I am concerned about what I see here."

He looked between his companions as he spoke and then back at the Allosaur. The whole scene stank of subversion.

Ambrose simultaneously want to puke and dive snout first into the hot innards spread across the clearing. Seeing both demons- no, dinosaurs still was incredibly reassuring, given the nature of their plan. Ignoring Hammond's babbling he found his interests drawn to the steaming wound and twisted pile of guts; absently he wondered if the liver of such a beast was as delicious as a sheep or cow's.

Without waiting for input from the others he hopped down and sniffed curiously at the intestines. While he would have never considered it before, the body he bore now insisted that it was a treat worth gorging on. As instincts pressured him he tentatively clamped his teeth down into the slimy entrails and found his senses flooded with pure delight. He greedily began to tear into the bloody mess, spilling noxious offal around him in a gleeful shower as hunger driven primal instincts took hold.
Last edited by Mereneth on Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:12 am

Bjorn surveyed the destruction of trees and earth with immense respect and fascination. "If we dive in mouth first, will we be able to reign in the beast in us to stop?" He asked, more to himself than anyone else. "I say we make this quick, dart in, get a few mouth-fulls and then each rip off a chunk to carry back with us for the others." He points a clawed appendage toward the side of the beast that is furthest away from the large monster which had won the fight, though at what cost to itself. "Best to eat at a point that is furthest from where the winner is, so as not to get squashed if and when it starts moving." After thinking about it a little more "I advise we still stick together though, and one of us should keep watch while the others eat, to avoid being trampled or caught unawares."

Bjorn takes the lead by hopping down from the tree, and then looks at the other two. "If you two want to eat first, I'll keep watch."
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.