The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:04 pm

"Ack, not Bordrin- Sure, that one might have a good resolution, but it takes an hour for the short version!"

"And of course, thanks a lot- I'll tell Annibel first, so if you see me going on stage, feel free to come listen! Don't let me keep ya if your hands are full, though."
Ulmwin says, graciously accepting the bucket as he gives a cautious glance over his back- A genuine smile aimed at the dwarf as if to wish him luck with the line.

"And I might tell one or two more small stories afterwards... Nothing too long however- I wanna see if there's some mutton left afterwards!" Ulmwin says, letting out a brief laugh, before getting out of the dwarfs way so he can continue his job. He takes a brief look between the three stages, trying to determine both which stages are most visited, and which stage would take the least amount of time to get a spot on...

Perception: 1D20 = [13] = 13

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:22 pm

*Ulmwin*
It seems that the majority of the crowd that isn't heading to the north to view or take part in the mutton eating, or gathering at the south stage, are to the east, checking out the gaming booths and spilling over to the area by the east stage. The lightest crowd is to the west, but it seems the performers who have checked in before him have similarly gauged the crowds, as there are three waiting to go on the south stage, two at the east stage, and one at the west... Though the south stage might not be usable until Holgor finishes checking a few more performers in. The line currently ends with a rather nervous looking fellow with a distinctive tattoo over half of his face.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:29 pm

"Oh yes, he is a big one, he might be able to eat a lot, or...he might eat way too fast and make himself very sick." He shrugs.

His eyes light up though with the offer to stay with Randerwaith. "Yes, I will happily take you up on that offer. It will be so much nicer that trying to find a room with the festival and all."

"Where can I meet you later? Or will you be observing the contest?"

After taking in what else was said he has another question. "What type of rumors? Might it be something I can help with?"
Even though he is chatting, he makes sure he keeps his place in line. Keeping in queue.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:35 pm

► Show Spoiler
After a bit more hesitation, he decides to queue up at the south platform- Not like he can't spare some time waiting... And that'll be sure to give Holgor a chance to listen in, if he wants to!

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:04 pm

With his mind on other things he doesn't really pay to much attention to the two in front of him other than the one who kind of pushed in if indeed he was going to be eating, which irritated him slightly, but it wasn't fully determined yet and it wasn't exactly blatantly rude either. It wasn't as if some of these more common folk had higher manners anyway. Hell even his manners had slipped in the last two years and he'd been swearing a lot too.

With the other two chatting and in deeper conversation. When it's the gnomes turn he appears to miss the "next" from the booth.

Tapping Coljin on the shoulder and speaking in gnomish
"Your up little man"
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:14 pm

Randerwaith looks hesitant. "Perhaps you could be of assistance. My lord Abbot Malachai was short on details, but what he has said is disturbing. Enough so that it may be best to discuss someplace other than the middle of the street during festival." He gives an meaningful glance at Coljin. "He's asked Capt. Randal to sup with him as well." The conversation is interrupted from behind by the Noble speaking to Coljin in gnomish. "I'll leave you to the festivities then and meet you at the fountain at six. I'll go now and make Master Buckleburry a happy halfling." He waves goodbye to Coljin and nods politely to Rudolf "My lord". He resumes his interrupted progress towards Buckleburry's Emporium.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:58 am

Holger finaly takes a deep breath and pushes his worries aside. He's Holger Starwind the amazing for crying out loud! Or will be at some point.

He joins the quoue and when he finally gets to the dwarf and (I assume) recieves the same greeting as the others.

"Hi, I'm Holger Starwind, magician extraordinaire! My performances varies but can include dancing, fire eating, music and at times a bit of harmless magical effects. I will likely switch between them depending on what's been performed earlier."
► Show Spoiler
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:20 am

As she kneels, crying in the street, Zephyr mourns the life she never knew and family she had almost forgotten. She is caught unawares when a slightly shorter human girl pulls her to her feet and drags her in a seemingly random direction. The woman talks loudly for the crowd to hear, but when they make a fair distance from the onlookers the girl mutters "So help me, if this is some kind of scam, I promise you will regret it!". The tone in her voice frightened Zephyr a little and while the wailing had died down, the sniffles had commenced and she was only able to get out "I'm finally home" through a myriad of sniffles and snorts until finally bursting into tears again, this time on the shoulder of the kind human girl who had helped keep from completely embarrassing herself further.

When the sniffles to die down and Zephyr becomes more aware of herself and her surroundings she speaks on a somewhat level tone with the girl. "Thank you, I did not expect such a well-spring of emotions upon returning home, now I must try to find my parents."

Zephyr tries to extract herself from the human girl, mostly in the way of removing her grip from her arm before heading in the direction that she hoped was the way to the house where she once lived. (Remember check 1d20+2=19)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:35 am

*Randerwaith*
You leave Coljin to his mutton and head to the west, crossing the cobble path and arriving at Buckleburry's shop. Though billed as an Emporium, a better description might be Small-Crowded-Shop-Packed-With-a-Little-Bit-of-Everything, though that doesn't roll off the tongue the same, and wouldn't fit well on the sign out front. Buckleburry himself is sitting on a bench out front, unlit pipe in one hand and a small flask in the other. When he sees you approaching, he pops to his feet, tucking both inside his vest.

"Ah, Randerwaith, my friend! Just coming to keep me company, or you looking to do a bit of business?"

*Coljin*
As Randerwaith departs, and the fellow prompts you, you step up and the halfling greets you and asks for your name.

*Rudolph*
Turns out the human was really just chatting with the gnome, and not looking to jump in line, as he heads off into the crowd.

*Holger*
As the line keeps moving on, and the dwarf looks to you, you give him your introduction, and he grins widely.

"Ah! A good name! Though I suppose you use the human "e-r" spelling. I'm Holgor, "o-r". Glad to have you! You're welcome to perform as many times as you can get on stage, so variety might do you well. Here's your bucket, just set it out and folks can drop some coin in for you. When you're all through, just bring the bucket and our twenty percent back to me. Good luck!"

*Ulmwin*
You stick close by the center stage, where by now a half dozen performers are gathered, ready to go on after everyone is checked in. A modest crowd has collected, many of them watching and pointing at the various performers, whispering to their friends and family.

An elven performer turns to the group of you and speaks up. "There are a bunch of us, I propose we draw to see which of us goes first. Even though I was the first registered, I'd rather go later, and I don't think it would be fair to claim first go just based on that. So... I have this gold coin," he pulls a gold piece from his waistpouch and holds it up for everyone to see.
"Each of you will guess which hand I have it in, any who are wrong are out, any who get it right will guess in a second round, until one is left. Sound good?"

A human man, who had been second through registration seems a bit put out by it, but the consensus of the performers seems to be agreeable.

"Excellent. So. Which hand is the coin in?" He clasps his hands together, spins around on one foot and stops facing the group of performers, closed fists stretched out before him.

The human man hesitates before pointing to the left, another points to the right, two more to the left, and the last couple, trying to hedge their bets, point to the right for an even split.

The elf looks at you and raises an eyebrow.

*Nemeia & Zephyr*
You both make it off to the east side of the commons, past the crowd and into the surrounding buildings.

Zephyr: You recall that your family home was farther to the east, near the outskirts of the town.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:48 am

Zephyr extracts herself, forcibly if needed from the human female, and heads toward the eastern edge of town.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:35 am

"right.... You're welcome!" nemeia says, with a heavy hint of sarcasm,and tries to clean off her dress where the tiefling had leaked onto it.

She leaves the girl to do whatever it is she came to do and heads back to join the performers queue. Gods know she could use the coin...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:41 am

*Nemeia*
You arrive back at the South stage just as the jolly dwarf is collecting the remaining green buckets and closing up his book.

"Ah, a late arrival. You looking to perform, miss? What's your name and act?"

Badge, give me a WIS check with advantage.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:50 am

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:10 am

Randerwaith smiles at the Halfling. "Why not both, Master Buckleburry? I have a list of equipment that I need, but I also have a little time to visit an old friend." He hands him the list. "Tell me old friend, have you heard of anything....unusual... occurring in the Wild lately?" Like almost all Halfllings, Buckleburry loves to gossip. Randerwaith has found him to be a rich source of merchant gossip and travelers' tales.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:29 am

Nemeia clears her throat and smiles broadly at the dwarf.

"oh, you can put me down as Tess. I am a dancer!"

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:32 am

As he had hoped the human who chatted to the gnome was doing merely that; and he even showed respect as he left. It must have been his current attire.
His dark red full length cloak with some odd fur pinned to his shoulder with a broach with his family's symbol on it. A rams head with the left horn shorn off.
It was nice to be in his finer clothes for a change rather than his chain mail and travelers clothes. He even managed to fine somebody to get that elvish wine stain removed from the cuffs a few days ago. It was a nice mono coloured red again, which flowed with the maroon of his surcoat.
Waiting for the gnome to finish up in front of him he absent mindedly rubs the signet ring on his forefinger on his right hand.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:06 am

Patdragon wrote: "Your up little man"
"What, huh?" he didn't notice the man behind him until now, but is surprised and happy to be spoken to in his own language.

"Oh, thanks, I was chatting, well I'm sure you saw that. You sure are dressed up nice for the festival! Hope you enjoy it. Oh, and your Gnomish is pretty good. Very little accent, well done!" he responds back in Gnomish

He then bids goodbye to Randerwaith and states he will meet him at 6 and goes and signs up for the contest.

He shakes the halflings hand, "Coljin Burberry. How long until you think the contest begins?"

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:40 am

Ulmwin considers for a brief moment. It could be that it was just meant as a straight up, 50/50 chance... But it wouldn't make much sense for this guy to just offer an arrangement like this. Not if he has nothing to gain, or perhaps, means to play a little trick...

And he knew the performer type of his kind- They always were striving for the least expected option. Which means that, perhaps... The coin is in NEITHER of his hands.

Before he potentially makes either a fool or a hero out of himself however, he sees if his insight confirms his reasoning, or if he'd be better suited just taking one of the two sides.

Insight: 1D20+1 = [18]+1 = 19

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:25 pm

*Zephyr*
You spend a good twenty minutes walking up one street and down the next... and then back up that street, trying to pin down the location of your childhood home. Eventually you stumble upon a small park with a large oak tree that seems familiar. A bit more oriented, you head more confidently down a nearby street, eventually arriving at a very familiar house... though it seems much smaller. And... tired.

*Randerwaith*
"Why not both indeed! Care for a nip?"

Buckleburry offers you a pull from his flask, taking the list of items in his other hand.

"Hmmm... lantern, oil, whetstone, bedroll, grappling hook, fishing gear, sacks, tent... I think I should have all of that on hand. You need rope for that hook?"

The halflings sets the note down on the counter and disappears into the crowded shop, the sounds of his rummaging search carrying up to where you stand. Periodically he returns carrying various items from your list, chattering on in response to your last question as he retrieves your gear, his voice rising to almost a shout while he's deep in his piles of inventory... but it appears to be a slow morning for him with the festival going on.

"Funny that you should ask, we just had a caravan from the Eastern Shores... well, they're not based out of there, but had been through there recently, and had cut through the Wildlands on their way back West. Think they were headed towards Human lands once they left here, but I can't remember quite where they were headed... suppose it doesn't matter too much one way or another. Anyway, Arturo, the merchant that runs the caravan is a right mule's ass, and always has, but his head guard Dhavor is a solid fellow, all scowls and furrowed brow until he's had a drink or two in him.
Anyway, Arturo and I met at the Chalice to talk business when he was in town... must have been a week ago now. Once we figured out how much he was going to overcharge me, Arturo headed to bed, and I bought a few rounds for Dhavor. Once he was feeling a bit more loquacious, he told me about a stretch of their journey that had shook him pretty good. Mind you, he's not a fellow to get nervous about things easy, why only a year or two ago the caravan rolled in and they'd run into one of the nomadic orc bands in the Wildlands. From what his men were saying, they'd been attacked at night and the orcs put three javelins in him, but he just snapped them off so they didn't get in the way of is swings when he took their heads off. Wouldn't let anyone tend to him until he was sure the danger was past, and didn't complain at all...
Where was I... Oh, right. So he's not one to lose his nerve, so if he says something had him spooked, and mind you, it's not something he'd ever volunteer normally, but if he says he was spooked, something was off. Anyway, he said that they passed through a stretch where for days there were no sounds. Nothing stirring. No birds, no insects. Just the sounds of the caravan, which even they seemed muffled and out of place. He said at night, waiting for sleep, it would feel like the quiet was trying to push its way into your ears."
He shudders as he sets down a trio of clay oil flasks.
"Gave me the willies just thinking about it... I'd not do well in complete silence, I'd have to talk all the time just to hear my own voice! If there's anything else odd going on, I'd ask the Brown Robes about it, but they can be stingy with their information. Though I suppose you might have an in with them, being a bit more of a religious sort."

*Nemeia*
"Right o' then Tess. Here's your bucket then, just set it out while you're dancing, and folks can throw some coins in if they like your act. Once you're all done with your dancing, just bring the bucket and the Abbey's twenty percent back to me. You're welcome to dance on any of the three stages that are open, but we've a decent number of folks signed up, so there will probably be a bit of waiting at some point. The East and West are smaller, and may draw smaller crowds, but there's usually fewer people waiting to go on."
Holgor writes her name down in his notes.

You notice an elf holding his fists out to a circle of performers, six of whom are pointing at one or the other of his hands, while a gnome seems to be pondering the situation.
*Coljin*
The halfling takes your hand.
"Greetings Coljin. I'm Dorbo, my Aunt Lailum owns the Chalice here. We'll be starting as soon as we get everyone checked in and folks have a chance to size you up and place wagers on you. Shouldn't be too much longer, the fellow behind you seems to be the last taker. You can just head over there with the others."
He indicates the long benches where a three humans, a dragonborn, two halflings and a burly half orc are currently sitting.

*Rudolph*
The gnome and the halfling running the contest exchange pleasantries, and you step up as the last contestant. He looks your clothes up an down with a grin.
"Hope you don't mind getting a bit of mutton on your coat. What's your name then?"
He notices your familial crest.
"Ah, a Beaumont then? That may pull more wagers your way... though I imagine you're not typically trying to stuff mutton in your face as fast as you can back home. Anyway, I think you'll find the mutton at the Chalice as good as any you've eaten!"

*Ulmwin*
You ponder the elf's proposal... he's definitely up to something, his tight lipped smile is certainly hiding some sort of mischief...
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:44 pm

"Indeed, it's an awesome name only given to the best and yeah, I've got the plain human spelling. I hope to see you amongst the crowd out there."

With that Holger bids farewell to the dwarf and grabs his bucket and head to one of the less attractive scenes and scouts out the performers and the people around the place

Holger perception: 1D20+1 = [15]+1 = 16
► Show Spoiler
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:49 pm

Nemeia raises an eyebrow at the elf and wanders over to join the crowd.

"Normally, folks practice their acts BEFORE they sign up for a stage you know?" she says with a grin to the elf. "Are any of you musicians? Dancing is usually a lot more fun when there's a tune to inspire you!"

With a wide smile, she heads towards the centre stage while the others point at the elf.

A Charisma check to see what she can get away with is incoming

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:57 pm

Ulmwin smirks.

"Well, if there's one thing I know... In a performance like this, you always do what the audience least expects! So in this case, anyone who guesses wrong is out..."

"So here I go either winning or on a straight ticket out- I think it's in neither palm. As to where it actually is? Well, that's harder to say... But I do think you keep those lips closed awfully tight."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:21 pm

*Holger*
You head to the East stage, and it seems that there are a few more people in the crowd, and a larger number of children. While your magical feats delight all ages, in the past children have been particularly enraptured by your act. Currently a half-elf dulicmer player is on the stage, pulling forth from her instrument a delightfully upbeat and invigorating tune. The crowd is soon stomping their feet along to the music, and a number of people approach the stage to drop coppers in her bucket, some children pulling at their parents clothes to be a given coins to reward her tune. She plays for a few more minutes before bowing to modest applause, collects her bucket and skips smiling off the stage. The two identically dressed human performers waiting to go on nod in greeting as you arrive, their eyes drifting to take in your large facial tattoo. One of them speaks up.

"Well, do you want to warm them up a bit more before we go on?"

*Ulmwin*
A new female human in exotic pants and vest joins the group and asks for a musician to accompany her as the elf opens both fists, revealing empty palms before sticking out his tongue and plucking the gold coin from it. He flourishes his fingers and it disappears from view. A few of the other performers grumble a bit.

"Ah, well played friend gnome!", he says with a wry grin. "I hope you'll not give my tricks away to the crowd until after they've filled my bucket... I concede the stage to you."

He bows and gestures to the stage.... as the newly arrived woman makes her way to the stage...

*Nemeia*

Go ahead and make a Persuasion check.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:39 pm

"Haha, no worries! Seems while we're playing, our newcomer skipped ahead anyways!" he says- Quickly following the woman up stage- Likely giving some the idea trouble might be brewing, what with the perception he was the one deserving to go first... As he calls out to the tiefling-

"Hey miss, wait!"

Following her up on the stage, a brief moment of awkward silence likely ensues- Before he hefts his lute slightly, with customary smile-

"Guess I'm going after you, and since you wanted some music... What tune would you want?"

► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:46 pm

Randerwaith's face goes momentarily blank of all expression as he listens to Buckleburry's tale. Fortunately the Halfling is otherwise occupied and does not notice. The tale helps confirms some of the rumors he has been hearing of a large area in the Wild that appears to be devoid of all animal and insect life. And it appears to be growing by this report.
"Umm, what was that? Oh. No I have rope already, thank you. Perhaps you're right. Maybe I should go pay further respects to the good Brothers. Is that everything? How much do I owe you?"