The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Theis2 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:17 pm

"I don't see why not. Ready or not here it comes! How do you want it? Safe or flying wildly through the air?"

Holger casts prestigation a couple of times each time lighting a new dagger on fire.

Depending on their answer, Holger will either light his torch again for them or take a shot at a flying dagger (or how they wish to present their target). The ladder is likely missing though

Holger fire bolt attack: 1D20+6 = [4]+6 = 10
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:22 pm

((Prestidigitation is less showy, but you don't have to make the ranged attack... your call though! ;) "You instantaneously light or snuff out a candle, a torch, or a small campfire."))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:28 pm

Maji'ah'l eagerly starts eatting, maybe a bit too much. Con check [1d20+2] = 6+2 = 8

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:42 pm

"It's Ulmwin for friends! And you miss?" he says, giving a friendly introduction... Before scratching his head at the elf's performance, and quick exit.

"Huh... I thought he just said he wasn't gonna do a story. I was expecting some sleight of hand tricks."

He doesn't get much time to think about it though, if he spent much thinking about it in the first place- As a poor sod trips and shatters his instrument.

"Ah, darnit... Sorry pal, terrible shame. But let's not cry yet, okay? I know mending- I think you might have done a bit too much of a number on it for it to work, but we got some time to kill while waiting out turns anyways- Try to get all the bits and let's see what we can do, alright?" Ulmwin says- Hopefully helping the poor guy get himself under control and off the stage so the show can continue- Trying to inspect the wreckage of the mandolin and the odds of him being able to repair it... Barring that part got completely pulverized, he could probably fix it with some repeat castings, right?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:43 pm

Zephyr refuses to give up. She lets out a disgusted sound toward the half-elf and moves further into the crowd in search of another priest.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:01 pm

*Holger*
You focus in turn on each dagger as it reaches the peak of its flight, muttering the necessary words and snapping your fingers as each lights in turn, drawing cries of glee and amazement from the crowd. Once all the dagger are lit, the jugglers begin working in bigger and bigger throws, culminating in them tossing the daggers high into the air and bowing in unison. As the reach the deepest part of the bow, the daggers embed themselves into the stage in a circle around them, to lots of applause. The stand up grinning, collect and extinguish their daggers and grab their bucket as they exit the stage.

A few performers had wandered over from the South stage and are getting ready to go on.

The juggling acrobats join you at the side of the stage.

"Thanks! Not only did you warm up the crowd, that bit with the knives added quite a bit of showmanship to our juggling! I'm Andren, by the way, and this is Ordo. Here... as a thanks form one professional to another."

Andren hands you 10 coppers.

*Maji'ah'l*
You tear into the tender mutton, gulping down your first huge bite... or at least you try to... it gets caught halfway down, and for a moment, you can't breathe. You gulp again, but it's not budging, and it starts to make you gag. As you begin coughing, you're aware in the back of your head that if you hack it out, you'll be disqualified... but if you don't you're going to choke to death on a bit of mutton. Finally, you hack and gag, and bring the chunk back up into your mouth, the meat itself halted by the backside of your sharp teeth, but a dribble of saliva splashes from your mouth and draws a mixed reaction from the crowd.

You gonna throw in the towel, or keep going?

*Ulmwin*
The shattered musician, both in terms of instrument and morale, lugs his destroyed mandolin over to let you have a look at it, wiping his tears and snot away on the back of his sleeve.
"Can you fix it? I'd be ever... ever so grateful, but I... I don't have the money to pay you... maybe if you fix it... after I can play some shows, I can earn enough to pay you back..."

Make a tinker check (d20 roll + INT mod + prof bonus) for me to see if you can estimate if and how long it would take for you to mending it back together.

Another musician takes the stage and plays an utterly forgettable rendition of "The Bee and the Bear".

*Zephyr*
Not too far distant, you find another individual in a brown robe, this one a large male human. He is likewise keeping an eye on the crowd.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:09 pm

Zephyr hurries over to the large male and taps him on the shoulder and asks him the same question that he asked the female, this time including the extra information about the potential number of years ago.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:22 pm

"It's a festival friend- Unless I'll actually need money for some new parts or something, let's just say all payment I need is for you to give me a good song, and preferably listen to my own!" he says- Albeit scratching his neck with a wry smile as he inspects the broken pieces closer.

"That is, if I can fix it, of course..."

Tinkering: 1D20+2 = [5]+2 = 7
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:28 pm

Keep going!

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:49 pm

Coljin looks appreciatively at the mutton and gravy and then begins to dig in, hoping to give a good showing.

Constitution check: 1D20+1 = [1]+1 = 2

I think however, he might need the heimlich.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:57 pm

Maji'ah'l stands up quickly as he sees the gnome choaking like he was. Maybe this mutton is cursed or something. He stands behind the gnome and gives him the Heimlich maneuver. Medicine check [1d20+5] = 10+5 = 15 He looks at the gnome and points at him before shrugging his shoulders and gives him a thumbs up and then thumbs down before shrugging again, looking at him questiongly.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:03 pm

"Oh love... That's such a shame! Here, I have these. If you can play them you are welcome to borrow them, although they're probably not exactly what you had in mind."

EDIT: She has a panflute.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:06 pm

((Medicine check works, though is probably just let you do it, though "Heimlich" is anachronistic.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:47 pm

Randerwaith replies to Buckleburry's question: "When am I NOT running errands for the Brothers? " He grins. "Today's was easy. Just carrying messages to the Abbots from the High Father. Tomorrow, who knows?"

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:49 pm

Hearing the odd noises coming from the dragonborn and he tries to chew his food is the only off putting thing about this contest so far. Rudolph proceeds with slightly with less speed but plenty of haste. Cutting each piece of mutton into bite size chunks as he devours the previous pieces is both efficient and still showing he has some manner even at this early stage of the competition.

Con check - 1d20+2=21

Seeing the dragonborn get up from his seat and thinking he's conceded Rudolph notices he heads to one of the gnomes and starts attacking/hugging it from behind until the gnome looks like he's going to spit up his food, which in turn would probably disqualify them both for interference and not keeping the food down.
As He watches this mess he finishes off his plate and asks for a cloth for his mouth if one is not available and proceeds to dab and clean his mouth.

"Well that was a good starter"
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:33 am

*Zephyr*
You blurt out your question as the man turns around.

"Sorry miss, I'm on watch, I can't help you just now."

*Ulmwin*
You think you might be able to fix it with repeated castings of your mending spell, but you have no clue how long it will take you. You do know just from past experience that it's vital that ALL of the pieces are present for you to be able to fit them back together.

*Nemeia*
The dejected mandolin player looks at your panflute.

"Thanks for the offer, but I've not the skill with them to do anything more than embarrass myself again."

*Randerwaith*
"Indeed, indeed. Hope you get at least a bit of time to enjoy the festival."

*Coljin*
Determined to show everyone what a gnome can do, you tuck into your mutton, and it's as good as it smells. You're chewing away happily when a chunk gets lodged. You try to bring it back up, but it's stuck! You flap your hands and try to call out, but no sound leaves your mouth. You grasp your throat as you start turning red, eliciting cries of concern from the crowd.

*Maji'ah'l
You gnash the chunk of meat and manage to swallow successfully. On the far end, there seems to be some commotion, the gnome had the same problem you did, but worse.
You stride over and pick him up, giving him a bear hug that dislodges the mutton and sends it sailing over the table.
Coljin: You feel sting arms grasp you from behind and you're squeezed until it feels like you'll pop, but luckily the mutton goes first.

Gork laughs between bites.

*Rudolph*
You get through your portion in no time, but as you finish, Dorbo walks up.
"Sorry milord, but no cutlery allowed, next round it'll have to be fingers and teeth!"
It'll certainly be messy, but the meat is tender, and as good as the halfling claimed.

As he turns away, his cousins, though separated at the table, make eye contact and in unison pelt Dorbo with their chunks of meat, much to the delight of the crowd (except a small few who had placed coin on then winning).
"Just you wait till your mother hears!"
The two halflings stick their tongues out at him and scamper of into the crowd.

Besides Coljin and the halflings though, everyone makes it through the first round, the strongest competitors at this point seeming to be Rudolph, Jenaal, and Gork. A flurry of wagers come in, and Dorbo signals after a few minutes that he's ready for the final round. Platters are brought forth and placed before the seven remaining.

CON checks from Maji'ah'l and Rudolph please! (Sorry Coljin!)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:44 am

"Sorry love, I hope your luck changes!"

Nemeia turns her attention back to the stage, looking for an open performance spot. If there is one, she'll point it out to olmwin so he has his turn to perform his story.

If not, she'll approach the other performers and see if they would like a backup dancer.
Persuasion: 1D20+4 = [10]+4 = 14

She'll also check on her disguise:
Investigation: 1D20+2 = [5]+2 = 7
Last edited by thinkslogically on Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:45 am

Defeated from the lack of answers, Zephyr begins to search around specifically for the elder Dragonborn, in the hopes that he has the answers she's looking for.

Investigation(+2) or Perception(+3): 1D20 = [9] = 9
Perception(+3 = 12)
Investigation(+2 = 11)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:45 am

"Hmm... It's probably gonna take a while, but that's no problem since I'm waiting my turn anyways- The evening is still young!"

"Now, I just need you to make sure you keep every piece here, try to keep what looks like fitting bits together... Spell won't work if there's missing bits, or at least we'll end up with a mandolin that still has a hole in it... And not the one we want."
he says- Giving a brief glance over the stage, but generally seeming to trust the guy to have collected them all, or at least to double-check considering his warning (And totally not just being inept with rolls)

Perception: 1D20+1 = [7]+1 = 8

"Anyways... If you keep yourself to that part, let's see if we can work some magic..." Ulmwin says- Beginning to play his lute, beggining the slow-going ritual of mending... He does keep ready to do a performance, should his turn arise- Excusing himself from the casting, but that he'll get right back to it once he's off stage again.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:30 am

A bit irritated with himself for choking, but not really worried about the fact that he made a spectacle of himself, (hardly anyone here knew him anyway) Coljin grabbed what what left of his plate of mutton and moved over to a non-competing table and slowly finished his lunch.

Maybe it was the will of the goddess that he didn't do well, maybe it was the man who squeezed me hard enough until I could breath again that was destined to win.
If there is still time, he will place a small wager on him to win.

He will place 4 coppers on him to win (Maji'ah'l).

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:32 am

Rudolph is disappointed about not being able to use cutlery, why else have it on the table... Then again they did have an example plate of mutton so maybe they were just for show too.

Rolling up his sleeves to try and avoid any unwanted mutton drippings, he also carefully tucks the cloth he had to wipe his mouth into his collar making a crude bib.
As he waits for the next round of mutton he looks to the other contenders who are left. Nods at any that return his gaze and mentally saying good luck. Catching the eye of the orc seemed more like a challenge and when the next round comes out and is place in front of him he very un noblely just dives in a attempts to devour the meat without utensils.

Con roll - 1d20+2=16
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:27 am

Maji'ah'l shrugs at the gnome and goes back to eat, this time more careful with his food.
Con check [1d20+2] = 10+2 = 12

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:21 am

"Thanks, it was my pleasure. We need to help each other for the festival to become truly festive and festive people are the most generous. I'm going to take a look at the south scene to take a look at our competition, hope to see you around."

Holger waves goodbye with a smile. Holger does a quick glance around to see if there are any extraordinary performers at this scene before he heads to the south stage and likewise scout out the people there. Maybe he'll see some people that could supplement his own skills.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:08 pm

*Zephyr*
The elder dragonborn is easy to spot, sitting in a seat in front of the south stage.

*Ulmwin*
As far as you can tell, he got all the pieces.

You're not making many friends among the other performers, besides the guy you're trying to help, as you start playing your lute... softly, but close enough to the south stage to interfere with other musicians trying to gain the favor of the crowd...

You work away on mending the mandolin, it's fairly slow going.
► Show Spoiler

*Nemeia*
You approach the other performers, but they seem to be focused on their own art, and aren't willing to mix things up with a dancer.

As far as you can tell, your disguise is perfect, when you look up from double checking, you see a new performer-type with a distinctive facial tattoo approaching.

*Holger*
There doesn't seem to be anything particularly eye catching going on at the east stage, so you head towards the south, the calls of the gamesmen calling to the crowd, urging them to come and spend their money on games of skill or chance. As you approach the south stage, you see a human female who appears to be checking out her... backside, and a gnome playing a song to a broken instrument while a sad man watches.

*Coljin*
Dorbo gives you his condolences when you go to place your bet, but soon returns his focus to the coming rounds. You at least enjoy the flavorful mutton more now that you can eat it at a slower pace. A human serving girl stops by to see if you'd like anything to go with your mutton.

*Rudolph*
The other contestants seem focused on the task at hand, and aren't interested in making meaningful eye contact with you.

You make short work of the mutton, keeping as neat as possible.

((I never said there was either a demo plate or cutlery... that was you guys! ;p ))

*Maji'ah'l*
You're more careful this time, but the retching you had to do on the first round makes it a bit of a struggle.

Bhen the blacksmith seems to have hit his stride, Gork does quite well too, the other humans do decently, but Borin the hungover dwarf gets about halfway through when he completely stops eating, looking a rather sickly color. He drops his chunk of mutton a moment before he vomits all over the table. Jenaal hops up and moves over to the seat vacated by one of the halflings and finishes her portion.

"Geeze, Borin, I told you should have quit drinking way earlier last night!", Dorbo curses and skips back from the torrent.

Bhen requests a change of seats, since Borin has soiled the middle of the table, and is permitted to move to the other side of Derrk.

Remaining are Bhen, Derrk, who has struggled in both rounds, Maji'ah'l, Rudolph, Jenaal, and Gork.

"ROOUUND THREEEE!"

More CON checks for Maji and Rudy!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:48 pm

Randerwaith spends a pleasant lunch with Buckleburry, sipping wine with the meal and exchanging tales, while picking Buckleburry's brain for any potentially useful gossip. He is making an effort to watch the time as he wishes to get back to his lodgings at the temple of Obad-Hai abbey after a bit so he can change into his regular gear. He wants to try to keep his vestments in good shape, and the Abbot is not planning a formal dinner this evening. He needs to allow enough time to go to the temple abbey, get changed, and then come back to meet Coljin. He's also limiting himself to no more than 2 cups of Buckleburry's wine. He needs a clear head for this evening.

(OOC: I have just been made aware that there isn't a temple of Obad-Hai in the city. Randerwaith is guesting with the Circle Vale Abbey.)
Last edited by Lurks_In_Shadows on Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.