The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:46 am

Yup, happy to move to the other room. Nem will stay near the back of the group with Holger and move quietly, as is her habit down here.

Gievn the size of the group and the lack of stealth attempts from the others, she doesn't bother trying too hard.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:22 am

The party makes it to the 'booze room' without further incident, and you begin a short rest.

Over the course of the short rest, Tess manages to chip out the hinges, though wrenching the top off does bend the locking mechanism slightly, it gives way. Nestled in cushioned pockets inside are two vials of red liquid, identical in shade to your potions of healing. A third vial has been shattered and the liquid seeped over onto some of the parchments stored in the other half of the box. The top three sheets seem largely un-damaged, but the bottom ones are completely illegible. Of the three, two of them almost make sense as you feel the pressure behind the eyes, before it fades and they go back to being arcane jargon and diagrams.

Holger, you spend the rest studying and attuning to the ring you found. Putting it on, you momentarily feel a bit more nimble, but the sensation fades.

((Anyone else doing anything over the rest? Otherwise, those that want to roll HD can do so.))
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:32 am

HP: 1D10 = [10] = 10 ((I guess that puts Randy at full charge again)).

"Tess, can I look at those papers?"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:49 am

Nemeia is intrigued by the strange, though increasingly familiar sensation behind her eyes and she wonders at what the papers might mean.

((Can I make any checks to know more about them, or are they just beyond her knowledge at the moment?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:56 am

((Intelligence (Arcana) check then.))
Lurks_In_Shadows wrote:HP: 1D10 = [10] = 10 ((I guess that puts Randy at full charge again)).
((Ah, good reminder that you add your CON mod as well, so Randy would have gotten a 12, even though since you were only 5 down, it makes no difference, but might for others.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:59 am

Short Rest: 1D10+3 = [5]+3 = 8

Back up to 19 of 24 HP. Figured if you all died and I had to find a place to short rest again, I could maybe survive.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:01 pm

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:12 pm

Tess, you're certain they are spell scrolls, and the two that you almost could understand share a lot of similarities to some of the notations and writings in the book you found on the dead fellow that gives you the same eyeball feelings. You're pretty sure from what you recall, that spell scrolls can't be cast by just anyone, you need to be able to understand the components and limitations of the spell, not just read the words off the page.

((Essentially, if your class can cast the spell, you can understand it. If that spell is not on your class list, it's gibberish. Tess currently doesn't have casting granted by her class, but is developing down a path to where she might, so is getting glimpses of understanding.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:24 pm

*I'd say you'd also know that in general, spell scrolls are valuable. Even the weakest of spells scribed to a scroll represents a fair bit of effort and investment.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:23 pm

((Coolio, thanks.))

To Randy: "Hmmm? Oh sure love, but take care with them! They're old and might be worth a bit."

She hands over the scrolls, then turns her attention to the other things in the box, setting aside the two full vials and looking at the rest of the wet parchment. She wonders if there's any way to salvage them...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:54 pm

They are dry, the potion of healing that broke soaked into them and ruined them a while ago.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:20 pm

Maji will cut off a pice of the vine blight he collected earlier and pulls off some twine (?) from it and starts making a makeshift sliding knot necklace. In the middle of the necklace is a square knot holding a small canine tooth for decoration. The counter weight on the end of the long twine (should be long enough to cover a bear's neck so it's pretty long.) has a small bone. He tests the ability for the necklace to self tighten by placing it on his arm and spreading the loop farther and letting the loop go. If it tightens he puts the necklace on.

Hp, survival: 1D8+2 = [6]+2 = 8
1D20+5 = [2]+5 = 7

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:21 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:They are dry, the potion of healing that broke soaked into them and ruined them a while ago.
Hooray! It wasn't my fault :D

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:19 pm

Randy will look at the parchment and see if he can make anything of them.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:00 pm

None of them make any sense to Randy.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:26 pm

If Maji has time he'll glance at them.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:36 pm

Nonsense to you too.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:23 pm

If no one objects, Coljin also tasks a quick look at the scrooks. He will also heal up during the rest.

Will roll tomorrow morning for that...Cannot now.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:35 pm

Randy looks thoughtful, then walks over to Holger. "Can you read these?" and shows him the parchments.

((Since neither Randy or Maj can read them, and Tess almost can, I suspect they are magic spells rather than cleric or druidic.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:00 am

Coljin: You look over the scrooks, and while two of them make no sense, the third you can tell after a brief perusal would allow you to divine the presence of any creatures or objects nearby that are particularly evil or particularly good. ((Detect Evil and Good))

Holger: Randy shows you a few parchments, one of which you can't read, but one is very familiar, as it describes the casting of the Firebolt spell that is your go to attack. The last describes a spell that connects the caster to a target through lightning, allowing the caster to repeatedly deal damage to them for a minute, as long as they maintain the spell. ((Witch Bolt))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:08 am

Short rest healing: 1D8+1 = [7]+1 = 8

Coljin will take another look at the dagger he found. To whomever is nearby he quietly, but in his quick way of talking, states, "Ulmwin says it has Evocation magic in it. And it has these drops of liquid pattern on the blade and clouds on the handle. I wonder....What type of water related magic might be in it? Or maybe it is poison magic of some sort." he says the last part less enthusiastically. He shrugs in uncertainty, but if anyone shows interest and wants to look at or handle it, he hands it over.

After he sees the scrolls he will explain that the one is the clerical spell, Detect evil and good.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:07 am

"Would be nicer if the one scroll would turn to solid gold.. It's a fire bolt cantrip, as the bolts I shoot. Could still be useful for a wizard who wants to scribe in a copy for his spellbook. The other one creates an arc of ligthning striking a target. With a bit of focus it can be maintained to keep shocking the target."

Holger will stick the witch bolt scroll down somewhere easily accessible in his pack. He moves over to Coljin to grab the dagger. He'll look it over carefully to find something like a button or other parts that might be manipulated or maybe just signs it has been rubbed a specific way.

"Even if it doesn't have any particular ability, magic weapons usually swings more easily and cut deeper."

Holger will also keep the ring on for now

Holger investigation: 1D20+2 = [11]+2 = 13
Holger knowledge arcana: 1D20+2 = [20]+2 = 22
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:29 am

Nemeia will take a look at the dagger if she can. She is beginning to consider starting a knife collection...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:37 am

Holger: You don't notice any hidden buttons or the like, but do notice that the orientation of the clouds and droplets are aligned with natural gravity if the dagger blade points down, as it it were held out in front of you in a reverse grip, or the blade were planted in the ground. You are pretty sure that droplets are an indication of rain, rather than poison, though you don't get a sense that the rain is tied to any sort of damaging water magic, it seems almost... restorative.

Tess: The dagger has a decent edge, but nothing you can see from your experience would make you think that it does more damage than a standard blade.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:56 am

Holger will give it a try and turn the dagger upside down and "strike" it downwards seeing if something happens.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread