The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:49 am

Maji'ah'l grunts and crosses his arms as he waits for food.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:08 am

*Randerwaith*
"That'll be 16 coppers then, and I'll be putting you in charge of bringing the platters back to me. Buckleburry will just lose them in the piles of junk he calls a shop."

Her smile indicates that her ribbing of the halfling shopkeeper is goodnatured... but that she definitely wants those plates back. She collects your coin and heads into the tavern and soon returns with two platters bearing a slab of mutton, a heaping pile of beans and a thick slice of hearty bread. It all looks and smells delicious.

To your left, the clambering of wagering begins to quiet a bit, and you see Coljin on his way to the competition table.
► Show Spoiler

*Holger*
Your performance is well received, with plenty of oohs and aaahs. You do reckon that it would go over even better at night, where your pyrotechnics would show up better. Either way, the crowd rewards you with a decent bit of coin and applause, and you quickly count up 28 copper in your bucket after you leave the stage.

As you step down, one of the performing duo crouches by the front of the stage, while the other runs up an plants his feet in the waiting hands of the first, who heaves upward, sending him twisting and tumbling through the air to land on his feet in the center of the stage. The first man hops nimbly onto the stage, and they begin their act, largely comprised of acrobatic leaps and tumbles, drawing gasps of surprise from the crowd as they witness feats of agility that seem like they should be beyond what is feasible. To bring their act to a close, they begin juggling back and forth, first with a set of balls, transitioning one by one to daggers whose hilts have been wrapped in cloth. They are catching and lobbing the daggers by the blades alone, when one of the juggling acrobats glances quickly over his shoulder.

"Oi, Starwind! Would you like to light up our blades for us?!"

*Ulmwin & Nemeia*

"Ah, well if you wanted the stage to yourself, you should have taken it when it was offered, rather than pairing up with the latecomer. There'll be plenty of time to get up again, but if you hog the stage too long, the others are going to resent you... performers can be a catty lot. As far as secrets, I don't think I'll be telling a short story rather than making coins disappear, so I'm not worried about you revealing my secrets."
► Show Spoiler

*Zephyr*
You finally muster the nerve to make your way up the front stoop, and reach out to grasp the handle. It's firmly locked. You don't notice anything out of the ordinary about the door or home, it's just a slightly run-down house with a locked door. You knock hesitatingly. Silence.

*Maji'ah'l & Coljin & Rudolph*
Most of the other competitors have taken their seats along the table, and wagering is still going on, but wrapping up, as many of the serious betters want to see how the first round of mutton goes to get a good sense of who's in it for the long haul.

Dorbo chimes up, "You're welcome to it, big guy, but that one won't count towards your total!"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:15 am

"ah well, I tried! Thank you for helping me out, a silent dance is a rather sad thing to watch after all! If you feel like a repeat performance later, I'll be around! Here, I promised you half of our earnings!"

Nemeia openly counts the takings, splitting the coins equally between her and ulmwin.

Unless the gnome has anything else to add, she'll turn her attention to the elf's performance.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:17 am

*Nemeia*
You count out a total take of 86 coppers.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:25 am

Refusing to be stopped by a simple door, Zephyr puts her shoulder into the door, a small sound of strain escaping her lips as she tries to shove the door open.

Strength Check: 1D20+3 = [3]+3 = 6

:( that was weak...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:37 am

*Zephyr*
You bounce ineffectually off the door.

Give me a wis or int check.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:40 am

Intelligence Check: 1D20+2 = [6]+2 = 8

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:49 am

*Zephyr*
There's gotta be someone in there! Why won't they answer the door?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:52 am

Zephyr becomes more frantic, assuming the worst has happened within her one time home and redoubles her efforts to burst through the door. This time she makes more distance between herself and the door before charging at it.

STR: 1D20+3 = [11]+3 = 14
Checking for disadvantage = 17

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:10 am

Randerwaith promises to bring back the plates. He amusedly observes Coljin as he makes his way back towards the door. He hopes the little gnome will be in condition to make the meeting this evening. His smile slips as he remembers the reason why the Abbot and the garrison commander want to meet with him.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:10 am

Ulmwin shrugs- "Ah, fine I guess. Have fun!" he says- Before getting himself to the back of the row. He gladly takes the copper the definitely human woman splits.

"Maybe I'll take you up on it! Afraid I have my own act to take care off, though... And there's some catty performers who don't appreciate helping out one another, even if it'd make no difference." He says, not naming anyone... Although quite focused on the elf's performance.

"So where do you hail from, friend? Know of no entertainers that could have chimed in with you to help?"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:17 am

Maji'ah'l puts the demo mutton down and waits for the mutton, the fresh mutton to be served.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:24 am

Nemeia clears her throat and replies:
I'm just travelling through for the festival. I have a few other performances up my sleeves, but I love to dance at festivals and the crowds usually appreciate something lively to get the day going!

What about you? Are you local? I hope I didn't cramp your style too much. "

She keeps a careful eye on the elf while she talks, and just in case it needs to be explicit, she gives ulmwin his share (43 coppers).

Perception check: 1D20+4 = [9]+4 = 13

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:47 am

"Hah, true... I guess it's for the best I'll do my performance a bit later- Annibel is usually something you tell to close off the night!"

"And no, no, I'm not local... Currently I'm just kinda... Travelling about, you know- Going from city to city, there's always one inn or the other that'll let me stay the night if I just play some tunes."
he says, mentally adding "Or if they realize who I am" in his head.

"My homestead is in Teksburg though, not too far from here, but ah... I haven't visited in a while." Ulmwin says- Just keeping a general look while he waits his turn once more...

Perception if needed: 1D20+1 = [10]+1 = 11
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:58 am

Coljin sits up straight at the table for about 3 seconds....and then looks around for some of the people still betting. He will wave at them, get their attention, and then pat his belly in a very exaggerated fashion; waiting to see if he gets any reaction from them.

after that: To whatever competitor is next to him, on his left, he states, "I haven't eaten since about noon yesterday. I'm nearly fainting from lack of nourishment."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:09 am

"hahaha! How wonderful! It sounds like we are two kindred spirits then, Mr...?"

Nemeia waits expectantly for the gnome to introduce himself.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:37 pm

*Zephyr*
You batter your shoulder into the door and all you're rewarded with is a loud thump and a sore shoulder. You're beginning to doubt your previous certainty that someone is inside... maybe they just locked up their home while the festival was going on to... go to the festival?

*Randerwaith*
You get back to the shop without spilling either plate and set one down on the counter in front of your halfling dining companion, who has already poured a deep red wine into two mugs, and is perched behind the counter on a stool.

"Ah, that smells good!"

He tucks into his portion, clearly savoring the dish, occasionally pausing to speak.

"So, you just here for the festival, or the Brother's have you running errands?"

*Nemeia & Ulmwin*
After splitting the take, you make small talk at the back of the performers line while the elf launches into a tale of Jane the Fool, a silly young girl who couldn't help but lie about everything, yet for some reason everyone she encounters seems to believe her. The story follows her misadventures, each escalating in scale, and drawing more laughter and coin from the audience as the elf does voices for Jane and everyone she encounters, and makes exaggerated faces to bring the characters to life.
At the start she was just a pig farmer's daughter, until she convinces a passing bard that she was a lost princess. She talks her way into fine inns and taverns, talks the owners out of the best food and drink, talks them out of their own beds, all while spinning lie after lie. Eventually she finds herself before the king of the realm, where she convinces him and his court that she is actually a great knight come to slay the dragon nibbling at their borders. She travels to the dragon's lair, who takes exception to her entrance and tells her the only creatures permitted in its cave are sheep. She tells the dragon that she is, in fact a sheep... and the dragon promptly eats her.

As his story wraps up, the elf addresses the crowd, "And so, the lesson Jane never learned was to not try to be someone you're not."

For a brief instant his eyes flash to the two of you and he grins before collecting his bucket and melting into the crowd. You look to see where he went, but can't spot him in the throng.

An unfortunate mandolin player heads onto the stage, but trips on the last step, landing on and smashing his instrument to bits. He frantically tries to gather up the pieces before realizing it's hopeless and bursting into tears.

*Coljin & Maji'ah'l & Rudolph*
From west to east on the contest table is seated:

One of the halflings, Derrk, Maji'ah'l, Rudolph, Bhen, Borin, Jenaal, the other halfling, Gork and Coljin.

Coljin: as you ham it up for the crowd, a few that look over at you chuckle. Sitting next to the hulking half-orc, you looks quite tiny, so to see your boastful belly rub is quite entertaining. You turn and talk to the half-orc beside you.
"Heh", his voice rumbles from between his slightly tusked mouth, "I had a suckling pig about your size for breakfast this morning, and am still hungry!"

Dorbo the halfling running the contest hops up on the table in front of Rudolph and cups his hands to the crowd.

"Alright, the initial betting is through! If you picked the winner in that first round, you'll get a higher return, but we'll have a second and final round of wagering after they finish their first portion, so watch today's competitors closely, and see who you think has what it takes! After they finish the first portion, and we take final bets, it'll be mutton after mutton until there's only one remaining! Remember contestants, you gotta keep it down, or it don't count!"

He signals for the first round of mutton to be brought out, and a line of servers file out from the Chalice, passing behind where you are seated and wait on Dorbo's signal. He shouts, "Go!" and thrusts his hand up in the air, and the servers reach over your shoulder (around your torso, in Maji'ah'ls case) and plunk down platters of braised mutton swimming in a brown sauce.

I need straight CON checks from you three.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:53 pm

Zephyr stares at the door who refused to so much as budge from her efforts. She thought that maybe her sword could make short efforts of the door, but no..perhaps the inhabitants were at the...oh the festival of course.

She thought for a moment of her childhood and wondered if perhaps the keepers of the Abbey would know where she could find her parents, if they remembered who she was.

With that thought in mind, Zephyr left her current task of breaking into her childhood home and strode quickly to toward the Abbey, intent on stopping anyone she could find and asking them questions about her past.

Investigation(+2) or Perception(+3): 1D20 = [12] = 12
Perception(+3 = 15)
Investigation(+2 = 14)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:57 pm

*Zephyr*
You can see the Abbey sitting on a low rise to the north of the town. The most direct route there would take you along the outskirts of the town. As you head that way, you don't see anyone as you walk along, eventually arriving at the closed gates of the hewn timber Abbey wall.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:02 pm

Feeling disappointed at this point, Zephyr turns back to the center of the town where the festivities are being held, sure that she can find a priest there, perhaps the old dragon-born who had appeared on stage. Zephyr heads in that direction, her mind set on finding someone to talk to.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:05 pm

*Zephyr*
As you head back into town, the sound of the festivities gets louder and louder, an as you emerge on the circular Commons, just to the east of the boisterous eating and drinking at the Emerald Chalice, you can hear the cheering coming from the mutton eating competition on the west side of the tavern.

You don't see the elder dragonborn that opened the ceremonies, but you do see standing not too far away and half-elf female in similar brown robes. She appears to just be watching the goings on of the festival.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:08 pm

Zephyr walks over to the half-elf female and gets her attention by tapping her on the shoulder, perhaps a bit too roughly, forgetting her manners once again.
"I'm looking for my parents. They live..or possible lived in a small house on the east side (She gives a brief description of the house), I wonder if maybe you know what happened to them?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:12 pm

*Zephyr*
The half-elf whirls about, startled at being prodded.

"I... I don't... know what house that is, or who your parents are... Ummm... but assuming they are... errr... similar to you... I'm not aware of any tieflings that currently live in Circle Vale..."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:14 pm

"It ah, it would have been maybe 20 years ago." Zephyr continues, disheartened by the news that her mother no longer lived within the village.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:16 pm

*Zephyr*
"I... I've only been here... five years or so. Maybe someone else might know more?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler