The Sundered Way

Home to all current Forum Games.
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: The Sundered Way

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:29 am

I already have boar form. I was tracking that one down to eat and possibly sell. I am not sure if I have to hunt them, but I am pretty sure I do.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:09 am

Nemeia enjoys the afternoon and eventually heads back to the inn to continue studying her book.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:15 am

"Hm, interesting... I'm supposing there's got to be some drawback, right? Otherwise I'd expect some people to try and sell them for just that purpose... Or are they just rare? Or maybe it's short spanned, or too short a distance? What would the distance even be?" Ulmwin begins, catching himself before he can fire off yet another question.

"Hmm... Mayhaps I'll just have to come back here and read the book for myself in the downtime once you've finished it..."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:23 am

Ulmwin: "Hah!", he exclaims with amusement, eyes crinkling up at the corners. "All good questions, though I suppose the first major drawback would be finding a colony of myconids and convincing them to let you have a sample of the spores... then how to contain them, and keep them viable... at this point it's more of a thought exercise for me, I confess."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:15 pm

"I mean... I wasn't necessarily even suggesting it'd have to be willing, you know. Not that I'd ever think about doing such a thing myself, but... Well, plenty of stories out there do tell about great evils being defeated, but there's a note to be taken from just that by itself: the evil exists."

He pauses for a couple seconds, allowing Merril to respond, before moving on to a slightly more pleasant topic.

"So, Merril... If you'd not mind, I'd actually got a question, or more like, curiosity that I probably won't find answered in just a book... Mind sharing a bit about yourself? From back at the tavern, I've the notion that was far from the first time you've played... Nor that playing is the most interesting thing you've ever done."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:30 pm

"True, though from all accounts the myconids only respond with violence if offered it first, so someone attempting to procure spores by force would likely end up feeling the effects of some of their... less benign spores."

"HA! If that had been the first time I'd played, I think anyone would say I'd taken it up quite late in life! I've been many things to many people... a traveling bard playing in taverns, to a court performer, to a wandering merchant, to a researcher of the obscure facts...", he waves a hand at your surroundings with a smile. "A younger son, not set to inherit much of anything, with a love of story and song, and a knack for sharing both... and now an 'experienced' performer living by his wits and the fickle adoration of the crowds. Trying not to cause more trouble than I can handle... or at least stay ahead of... I imagine at least some of that sounds familiar?" A wink and a laugh accompanies the last bit.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:17 pm

((Are you setting up lore for a race of friendly mushroom people, Spider? I'm not sure how I feel about that... :lol:

Anyways before I continue, let's see if just by chance Ulmwin might already know some of Merril's exploits:

history: 1D20 = [17] = 17))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:38 pm

(( o:) :paranoia: He was implying that some of that might sound familiar to your own life, but sure. ;) ))

He rather matches the description of a Merrill who was rumored to have played a role in foiling a coup, maybe 30 years or so ago.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:23 pm

After Randy Leaves and Rudolph closes the door once more.

"As I assume you were about to ask beforehand my interest in cult activity back home is mostly of a personal...Family matter but I was wondering if you had seen this symbol before?"
Rudolph show her a symbol.

-----

"I heard there may be some activity up to the North West, do you know anything of that? "

----
"Also a difference matter I don't suppose you've heard the name Gilfane Silva?"
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:31 pm

((Oh, I figured as much, but still. ))

"Hm... Do acts of preventing coups fall among the usual duties of a court performer..?" he says with a small smile curling on his lips, but quickly moves on: "I suppose some of it does sound quite familiar, even if I hadn't yet had as much experience as you seem to have. Started working at an inn and brewery when I was younger, initially helping fill the vats, but soon my second job became quite fixed at providing the inn with song and performance... Enjoyed it greatly. It became a full fledged job, to be frank. Haven't had the pleasure of being a court performer yet, though, or much of anything else... Well, unless you count the stunt in which I had my local baron exit his abode wearing nothing but his knickers."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:44 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:I already have boar form. I was tracking that one down to eat and possibly sell. I am not sure if I have to hunt them, but I am pretty sure I do.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:58 pm

Ulmwin: "Coup? I'm quite certain I have no idea what you mean..."

"Wait... this one I have to hear. How did you get a baron to walk around in his smallclothes?", Merril leans forward with interest.

Maji: She shrugs.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:19 pm

"Well..." Ulmwin starts, at first having planned to segway into the story, but seems to change his mind. "To be honest, I'm not sure I should have even mentioned that... I think we could be saying, purely hypothetically of course, that if such a thing truly did happen and the baron in question was still walking around... Well, he'd not exactly be pleased to find out the story was being spread around, get what I'm saying?"

"...Tell you what. I'll tell you the story of how I would have pulled it off, if you tell me what you'd have done when finding out about a coup... And then I think we can both agree to just put both of our little fictional stories in our private collection, if you understand what I'm saying..?"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:45 pm

Maji looks a bit lost in thought and finally writes Where are some good hunting grounds? We can start there.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:21 am

"THIS BOX! I WOULD ALSO LIKE A FEW SPECIFIC PEOPLE TO BE ABLE TO OPEN IT! HOW SPECIFIC DOES THAT HAVE TO BE? IS IT ENOUGH TO SAY PEOPLE RELATED TO ME OR DO YOU NEED TO KNOW SPECIFIC NAMES?"

Holger will continue trying to make it as clear as possible for brother Estin, as a mistake could pretty much ruin the whole purpose of this box.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:28 am

Ulmwin: He touches a finger to his nose and winks. "Well, speaking purely hypothetically, if a young, foolish musician playing in a bar overheard whispered murmurs of a faction looking to overthrow the local ruler... the prudent thing would be to inform the proper authorities and be done with it. Of course, being young and foolish, such a musician may take it upon himself to intervene... of course, most retellings get it completely wrong... hypothetically."

He proceeds to tell you the story of how this young foolish musician, who happened to know a few magical tricks, took steps to harry the individuals plotting the coup, to the point they were short on sleep, irritable, and prone to make mistakes. Following them in various disguises and messing with them... subtle uses of prestidigitation on the food they order to make it taste like nothing... or taste like it had been doused in fiery spices... putting out candles and lanterns after they light them, plaguing them with whiffs of foul odors... sneaking into their homes and casting spells on their doors to give a rousing shout any time that they start to snore, eventually wearing them to the point of exhaustion. It all culminated in them deciding to make their move, and the young foolish musician being on hand to mock them, between the distraction and their exhaustion, they were quickly disarmed and apprehended by guards.

Maji: "Sure, follow me." She leads you off into the woods, and you spend the day tracking and looking for signs of prey. ((Survival check please, you can take it at advantage, as she's assisting.))

Holger: "I WOULD NEED TO KNOW THEM, AND GRANT ACCESS WHEN I CAST IT. I CAN ALSO SET A PASSWORD THAT ALLOWS IT TO BE OPEN, YOU COULD TELL THE PASSWORD TO ANYONE YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO OPEN IT."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:53 am

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:21 am

Rudolph: "If it is a family matter you don't wish to speak on, I shall not pry."
-------
She takes your depiction of the symbol from you and inspects it. A raised eyebrow betrays surprise on her otherwise stoic face.

"Though I must admit I wonder how you encountered a symbol of Xel'trabythtal. Of the demon lords, he has not established extensive cults in the past..."
-------
"Activity? Nothing confirmed to be cultish, but I did pass threw two villages who both reported people who had gone missing within the last few months."
-------
"Gilfane Silva? I don't believe I have... should I know him?"

Maji: You two manage to track down a small herd of deer. Your scent is being carried away from them and they haven't noticed you yet.

Zephyr: When you eventually arrive at the Eastern Garrison, the wood elf you've spoken to there before greets you in surprise.

"No one mentioned you'd left the Vale!"

"Krentor's cabin? Sure, you'll want to head back up the road you just walked down, about a day and a half, you'll see a small track that turns to the west that will take you up his way. There's a dead tree that's been carved into a serpent near his cabin. Make sure you announce your presence, he can get a bit jumpy living up there alone."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:51 am

Ulmwin can't help but snicker at a couple of the descriptions, such as when the bard describes the beet red face of the thugs after eating the spices, and makes a couple mental notes on "creative uses of prestidigation" while he's at it... Before straightening his face as the story comes to a close.

"Quite an interesting, if completely fictional story... I suppose it's my turn- My completely fictional story, that is."

"Once upon a time, there was a baron, who ruled over large swaths of lands, mostly farms, but a few small villages fell under his rule. Now, one thing is to be understood about this man- He was not one that had earned the title by conquest, heroism, exceptional deeds or other noteworthy causes... Instead, like many others, he had been bestowed the title simply by birthright- But in addition to those many others, having been raised spoiled and never finding his wishes denied, it'd be fair to say he was quite a bit... Nastier than most others of his ilk would be. Often he'd put out rulings on his subjects that were not quite favored by most, in what might be hard to judge as either well intended idiocy, or whether the man was simply malicious by nature... Personally, I... Well, my personal interpretation of this fictional man would be quite the latter."

"Regardless- This is the story of how this man, after putting out yet another edict- Now that no beer is to be sold after the moon hits it's highest point- A gnome decides the man needs to be taught a lesson, and the baron would walk the streets in nothing but his knickers. Well, I suppose that's actually a lie- He was wearing a belt, too. But we'll get to that."

"So the hero of our story was this gnome... Incredibly handsome, suave, intelligent, and quite humble too. Working in a bar himself, and having to deal with the aftermath of this new ruling as many patrons were not quite happy, he decided it was time to teach this baron a lesson... So he crafted a cunning plan. He gathered an old belt, polished it up a bit, attached a piece of glass for that added authenticity... And then began the plan- With some magic, he disguised himself in the most royal of clothing, put on his new belt, and headed off towards the baron."

"There, he soon portrayed himself as a seller of exotic wares, and that he had an offer the baron simply would not be able to resist... And eventually managed to get a presentation right with the baron himself, where he presented the item of interest: The belt of the never naked. It was a great artifact with a specific, if very useful power... The ability to create an illusion of any different kind of clothing. The gnome made sure to demonstrate, using a couple illusions to change his already regal clothing of color, style, many things... And soon managed to begin to worm the idea into the baron's head: Of course, he could afford the finest silk, but what if he feels like wearing red..? What if those damned cleaners can't work fast enough, what if he'd have to wait for the tailors. What if it pinched? No, no, no more of that- With just one belt, he could wear any piece of clothing his mind could possibly imagine, and soon wanted to test it out himself. As the gnome was given the time to unequip this mystical artifact he had fleeced together just a couple hours prior, before handing it back to the baron to test... And he strode out proudly wearing nothing but his undergarments, the belt of course serving to provide..."

"Now, there is a couple things I should clarify before we go much further- The first point of course you might ask, is why the baron did not question why he seemed to be naked, rather than dressed in the fancy clothing the gnome had previously... Here, the gnome had already set it up with a little lie none of them were the wiser to- It does not sound that ridiculous to imagine one can not see their own illusions, am I not right? Secondly, it should be noted that the baron had quite a mean temper, and found himself so superior that he'd never even though it'd possible someone would dare defy him... Which was a very important part for what happened next, and was the riskiest part of the entire endeavor: as the baron proudly did slow twirls around the room presenting his new clothes. On the eyes and lips off what guards he had present was the thought of raising their voice as to what was happening, but none dared to be the one to incur his wrath- And secretly, I bet a couple of them wanted to see what happened next, too... In reality, the greatest imminent threat was likely to stop the gnome of laughing his socks off- As instead he was quick to rush up and assure the baron's ego that the suit he had crafted himself was absolutely exquisite, and picking up on subtle cues even congratulated him on changing it throughout his... Presentation. So happy he was with his purchase, he soon paid the gnome and walked straight out- Wanting to show off his new toy to the residents. The residents stared with utter shock and disbelief, many falling under the same trap as the baron's own men and not daring speak up at first... Until a little innocent child yelled out he was nearly naked- And the whole village burst out into rapturous laughter."

"The gnome, of course, had already made sure to have made a safe distance and watch from there, although I am afraid the true ending of the tale is sadly not as poetic as some stories would have the gnome believe. Being a good bit younger, a bit more stupid, and a lot more boastful, eventually some of the baron's men caught wind of who was responsible for his embarrassment... And a particular encounter lead him to having a black eye and a couple bruised ribs, as he'd had to make a run of it to more distant lands for his own good..."

"...Well, assuming it was a true tale and all. Since this is obviously just a fantasy, I usually leave away the last part..."

((You can imagine him going in more depth of his talking with the baron, but I'm not gonna elaborate on that since I'm not made of time. :roll:))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:28 pm

Maji shifts to a brown bear and kneels down so the half orc can climb on his back before he starts sneaking forward.
Stealth: 1D20 = [2] = 2

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:45 pm

She hesitates before climbing on, but as you move into position, you knock a rock loose and the deer all raise their heads and start to bolt.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:04 pm

Zephyr heads back to the abbey, gets dinner, goes to sleep and then rises early the next morning to go to Krentor's Cabin.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Maji goes to chase after them.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:24 pm

You take off, Grelka managing to hold on, but the deer are faster than you and are soon gone.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Maji snorts and starts to sniff after them. Survival (tracking): 2D20.HIGH(1)+5 = [4, 13]+5 = 18